Radulov Eyeing Return?

Guest hf101

ept_sports_nhl_experts-40245613-1215784866.jpg?ymYzWrAD89uZpR4o

I realize that this has been beaten to death, and most Predators fans have taken a firm “Enough already, I’ll believe it when I see it,” but a recent interview with SovExpress may contain a few pearls of optimism, depending on how willing you are to interpret subtext.

While the topic may be a source of frustration for many, there’s a reason it doesn’t seem to want to go away. Alexander Radulov is easily the most dynamic, offensively-gifted forward that the Predators have ever drafted. He scored 26 goals in his first full season with the Preds, and went on to be Nashville’s best forward in their first round matchup with the San Jose Sharks(despite names such as Kariya and Forsberg being on that same roster.)

It’s no secret that consistent, reliable, high-end scoring is the Achilles heel of the Nashville Predators. So when stories surface with quotes from Radulov himself that seem to suggest that a long-awaited return is closer than ever, we can’t help but stand up and take notice.

Full interview from SovExpress, translated and submitted by “RussianSpy.” Russian text to be posted as soon as I get it:

All i think about these days is Gagarin Cup play-offs.We have all the chances to repeat last year’s succes (Salavat is GC champion)

(But) When the season’s over we’re gonna sit and talk with my both agents Yuri Nikolaev(KHL agent) and Jay Grossman (NA agent), we’re gonna discuss different options. (still he has 1 year more contract with Ufa, but he said earlier he has a vocal agreement with GM of SY Oleg Gross so he CAN come to NA next season)

next he said: “Yes Nashville is trying hard to get me” That’s what’s he said but in a street-gang way, used some non-literature word.

“If we to look back, 4 years ago it was not nice from me to leave like this, but i’ve never said i’m burning any bridges”…

“I’m not ready yet to tell you what chances are 50/50 or 40/60..”

And the most interesting..

“I’m 26 years old(he means still young), i have won everything by this side of the pond (Gagarin Cup, World Championships, MVP KHL play-offs..etc.) but to be honest i often think that i don’t have such a glorious trophy in my collection – Stanley Cup.I was 2 times in a first round of SC play-offs and both times we’ve lost.It’s not good

Obviously there’s room for a good deal of interpretation here, but my modest comprehension is that Radulov, a fierce and energetic competitor, feels that he’s accomplished all he really can in the KHL. He’s won a league championship, he’s won MVP, he’s won a World Championship. The fact that he expresses disappointment and a sense of “unfinished business” with the way things ended in his last seasons with the Preds is at least somewhat encouragement.

More directly, he’s stated a desire that coincides with the goal of the team he left behind: he wants to add a Stanley Cup to his collection.

Perhaps he recognizes that now more than ever, the Predators maybe on the precipice of doing just that.

Just an opinion– I know that the idea of Radulov returning this season when the KHL playoffs complete(they’re about to get underway) has been thrown around, but I don’t see that happening. Radulov places a lot of importance on playing for the Russian national team, and has been a mainstay at the World Championships each Spring. I don’t believe this year will be any different, which would preclude him from joining the Preds for the playoffs. This would also go a long way to ensure that he hasn’t burned any bridges, if the still-being-debated NHL participation in the Sochi Olympics in 2014 remains intact.

As for next season? Like Poile, his former teammates, and the fans…all I can do is watch and hope.

http://www.thepredat...-eyeing-return/

So what I'm understanding if Radulov returns this spring and plays at least 1 game. He becomes an RFA this summer.

Radulov is kind of a rock star in Russia right now, easily the biggest superstar in the KHL, dates supermodels, does television commercials, he is everywhere. If he returns to Nashville, he has one year left on his contract which must be honored, at 980,000 a season. In russia he makes six million a year playing for Salavat Yulaev Ula, plus another four to six million in endorsements. All together, contract and endorsements are ten to twelve times what he would make in Nashville, plus is is a home country hero.

Lets say he bites the financial bullet, comes back, after his first season back, what would he make, four, five million a year? Dont get me wrong, there isnt a hell of a lot that you could buy for ten million that you couldnt buy for five, but put yourself in Radulovs shoes, every year he doesnt come back makes it that much harder for him to decide it is worth it to return.

From what I've understood elsewhere, if Radulov plays one game this spring, the last year on his contract is honored. I guess that is possible after he finishes his season in the KHL. I completely understand your point on the financial bullet but according to his quote....... it seems as if he has something else he wants that he can't get in Russia.

“I’m 26 years old(he means still young), i have won everything by this side of the pond (Gagarin Cup, World Championships, MVP KHL play-offs..etc.) but to be honest i often think that i don’t have such a glorious trophy in my collection – Stanley Cup.I was 2 times in a first round of SC play-offs and both times we’ve lost.It’s not good"

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting tidbit of info:

It seems that Radulov's agent has been seen around Nashville, his parents attended a game a few weeks ago, and Alex never sold his Nashville condo. Supposedly he wants a new RFA contract with the Preds worth 6 - 6.5M.

The West is going to be very interesting.

From what I've understood elsewhere, if Radulov plays one game this spring, the last year on his contract is honored. I guess that is possible after he finishes his season in the KHL. I completely understand your point on the financial bullet but according to his quote....... it seems as if he has something else he wants that he can't get in Russia.

I’m 26 years old(he means still young), i have won everything by this side of the pond (Gagarin Cup, World Championships, MVP KHL play-offs..etc.) but to be honest i often think that i don’t have such a glorious trophy in my collection – Stanley Cup.I was 2 times in a first round of SC play-offs and both times we’ve lost.It’s not good"

With his attitude, he'll never win it either. Talented player who puts himself before his team.

@flyercanuck

That is a good point FC, he did leave Nashville mostly for financial reasons, imo, but there could have been some personal and loyalty circumstances as well that drove him to support the KHL for a few years. He may have just wanted to help the KHL form a quality professional hockey league to keep Russia's stars playing in Russia.

He went to the K for one reason. Money. I have no problem with that, other than one thing. He signed a contract that he thought was fair until someone offered him more. He could have played out his last year and went. That's what an honorable person would do. Wonder how he'd feel if he signed for $6 million with Nashville, and then they told him he wasn't worth it and they weren't going to pay him?

Wonder how he'd feel if he signed for $6 million with Nashville, and then they told him he wasn't worth it and they weren't going to pay him?

hmmmm..........too bad the NHLPA would never agree to that.

@BrowntoBure

If he was coming he should have had to have been here by the deadline.

Why? He is a part of their 50 man roster. It would be no different than adding a player from the Junior Leagues who has an entry level contract after their season is finished. He may just have the offensive spark that could really rally their team for the playoffs as well.

Did they agree to guys walking out on their contracts?

Others have used the European leagues for an alternative to the NHL, not just the players but the GM's as well. Thoresen, Huet, and Nabokov come to mind.