Diagnosing The Disarray Of The Boston Bruins - aka Draft Day Disaster

pilldoc

For many of us the moves by the Bruins on Draft Day left many of us scratching our heads and silently uttering WTF did the Bruins just do.  Hamilton was uncerimonously shipped out of Bean Town to a Calgary team who was certainly willing to give up only draft picks. Then to add injury to insult the Bruins shipped Lucic to the Kings for yet another draft pick.

Ok...so Bruin fans who are now ticked and puzzled are now thinking ...great we have enough to move up to #3 and draft Hanifin, which IMO would have altered the way the draft goes down. (Bruins take Hanifin, Canes then likely take Provorov...the Flyers miss their guy and take ????)

But no they stand pat and then draft some questionable players...and leave Barzal and Connor on the board.  Which then opens the door for the Flyers to move up and draft Konecny.

So here is an article analyzing these head scratching moves.

http://thehockeywriters.com/diagnosing-the-disarray-of-the-boston-bruins/

For many of us the moves by the Bruins on Draft Day left us many of us scratching our heads and silently uttering WTF did the Bruins just do.  Hamilton was uncerimonously shipped out of Bean Town to a Calgary team who was certainly willing to give up only draft picks. Then to add injury to insult the Bruins shipped Lucid to the Kings for yet another draft pick.

Ok...so Bruin fans who are now ticked and puzzled are now thinking ...great we have enough to move up to #3 and draft Hanifin, which IMO would have altered the way the draft goes down. (Bruins take Hanifin, Canes then likely take Provorov...the Flyers miss their guy and take ????)

But no they stand pat and then draft some questionable players...and leave Barzal and Connor on the board.  Which then opens the door for the Flyers to move up and draft Konecny.

So here is an article analyzing these head scratching moves.

http://thehockeywriters.com/diagnosing-the-disarray-of-the-boston-bruins/

It is not quite as bad as MoC and the Thornton trade, but Boston fans think it is nearly that bad lol.

Boston management is back to the dark ages. Contract dispute? SHIP HIM.

I put up with that for years before the final straw. Every good player was traded if he wanted reasonable money. Thornton trade nailed the coffin. I decided to cheer for the last place Sharks.

Thornton was the only guy on the team doing jack when they fell to 10th in the east. But he MUST be the problem. Could not possibly be that you let Knuble, Nylander, Gonchar, Rolston and more leave VIA UFA while signing Scatchard, Fitzgerald, MCcachern and a bunch of other big slow pylons . Trade him and dropped to oilers level of bad, while the last place Sharks had a meteoric climb.

After the Thornton trade, the team went to the toilet.

It took a new GM trading every single person on the team except Bergeron and completely revamping, and Tim Thomas coming out of nowhere to fix it. You hear some dumbarses say "Trading Thornton won a cup" but it is completely false. They had to trade the entire team, sign big name UFA's and draft from toilet position.

I think what makes this bad trade even worse is the fact the Bruins had a chance to at least have the ammo to potential move up draft Hanifin and partially redeem themselves.(Whether the Yotes were serious about trading back we will never know).  Also the fact that the Bruins left some quality talent on the board AFTER their 3 picks is what I believe is adding even more fuel to the fire.  But none of that happened.

By drafting the likes of a Barzal / Connor or even trading up, I believe, takes some of the sting away.  However, going of the board and drafting a player who should have been there at #40 and  drafting him #15 just does not make any sense.

There is no way Boston makes the playoffs.  As I said in both game chat and the shoutbox, they are picking the wrong year to tank.

I totally get what you are saying.

All jabbing aside, we will simply have to wait a few seasons to see how this draft turns out for the Bruins.

We all know that sometimes the best players in the draft come in the later picks or are evolved from players that no one gave much a mind to (such as the set of players the B's drafted here).

Chances weren't very high that the Bruins were going to get an immediate impact player for their roster drafting in the mid teens like they were......and while I understand the thinking of "hey, use all those picks and parlay that into the 3rd overall", one has to remember that Arizona has to be willing to deal with Boston in that situation in the first place.

Maybe Boston DID try that....maybe they acquired all those picks with the idea that perhaps the Yotes would trade, only to have Arz simply hang on to their #3.

I also understand the talent that Boston allegedly left on the table....but again, that is the PERCEPTION (that Boston left 'better' players to draft the ones they did), but we won't really know that for awhile yet.

For all we know a Barzal or Connor could turn into monumental disappointments (while being more expensive eventually), while one or maybe two of the players the team drafted become real solid NHL'ers.....and wouldn't even be as expensive to keep longterm on top of that.

At any rate, if I WERE a Boston fan, I'd say I feel kinda let down not only with the draft but the players (Hamilton, Lucic) that were shipped out.....but at the same time, have to look at the vets on the team such as Krejci, Bergeron, Chara, Siedenberg, and even that rat faced Marchand to all step their games up and help along would-be big time players like David Pastrnak, Reilly Smith, and Brett Connolly become better professionals and keep this team afloat.

No doubt the Bruins are in for a rough ride in the upcoming season (maybe the one after that too) as I believe the competition in their division is too tough for them to rely on just "maybe" and "potential"...and even WC competition from teams in the Metro may see to it they are iced out of the playoff picture.

But we just may have to wait till season 3 past this draft (and see what the B's do over the next two drafts) to ultimately see whether this team will be a viable contender for the Cup again, or whether they will wallow in mediocrity for years to come.

Either way, at this point in time.....and not sure if I've made this clear, but I LOVE seeing this team like this right now.  ;)

I also understand the talent that Boston allegedly left on the table....but again, that is the PERCEPTION (that Boston left 'better' players to draft the ones they did), but we won't really know that for awhile yet.

For all we know a Barzal or Connor could turn into monumental disappointments (while being more expensive eventually), while one or maybe two of the players the team drafted become real solid NHL'ers.....and wouldn't even be as expensive to keep longterm on top of that.

The big thing about that, though, is draft picks are valuable commodities. When you go off board like the Bruins did, it's not just about the player, it's about the value at that pick. Now I've heard that the Leafs wanted Seneshyn at 24, which is why they traded back when he wasn't available. But if that's the case and you're the Bruins and you really like him, you trade back to 22 and pick up an extra asset in the process. You need to maximize your value, since drafting is an inexact science at best.

Maybe Boston DID try that....maybe they acquired all those picks with the idea that perhaps the Yotes would trade, only to have Arz simply hang on to their #3.

And that may very well be the case...we will never know.  Totally spot on post.

think what makes this bad trade even worse is the fact the Bruins had a chance to at least have the ammo to potential move up draft Hanifin and partially redeem themselves.(Whether the Yotes were serious about trading back we will never know).

Sweeney has said that he did try to move to get one of the 3 top defensemen in the draft but wasn't able to do so. So he had a plan, but he wasn't competent enough to make it work. And once it failed, he should have had a plan B that didn't involve spending a couple mid-first round picks on players who were expected to go in the second round. Absolutely terrible asset management.

And that may very well be the case...we will never know.  Totally spot on post.

We do know. As I mentioned in my post, Sweeney has said he wanted to trade up for one of Hanifin, Provorov, or Werenski, but couldn't get it done.

The big thing about that, though, is draft picks are valuable commodities. When you go off board like the Bruins did, it's not just about the player, it's about the value at that pick. Now I've heard that the Leafs wanted Seneshyn at 24, which is why they traded back when he wasn't available. But if that's the case and you're the Bruins and you really like him, you trade back to 22 and pick up an extra asset in the process. You need to maximize your value, since drafting is an inexact science at best.

I know, I know....and if going "by the book" were to be graded, then Boston did fail miserably.

All I am saying is, they may ultimately have the last laugh. We will have to see.

As @pilldoc said, I won't be losing any sleep over it.

As far as I am concerned, the Bruins AND some of their more obnoxious fans could use several helpings of  humble pie.....now with less calories...hehe.

We do know. As I mentioned in my post, Sweeney has said he wanted to trade up for one of Hanifin, Provorov, or Werenski, but couldn't get it done.

So... he was hoping to have an asset to trade in a couple of years?

They had a potential cornerstone franchise defenseman and traded him in an effort to... draft a potential cornerstone franchise defenseman?

What a good idea!

:hocky:

@JackStraw

thanks for the info....I must have missed were Sweeney said he was trying to move up.

It was reported in the Boston papers:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/06/26/boston-bruins-nhl-draft-picks/eNCrHJzf67SBkPr6nUxt3I/story.html?p1=Article_Related_Box_Article_More

“I had tried to get up further in the draft, wasn’t able to do that,” said Sweeney, who added that the Bruins were committed to taking at least one defenseman in the first round.

“Everybody knew there were sort of three defensemen that stood out. We speculated all along where I thought they would break, and it went as advertised. That’s why I think we tried as hard as we did to get into that grouping of players.”

They had a potential cornerstone franchise defenseman and traded him in an effort to... draft a potential cornerstone franchise defenseman?

What a good idea!

First they raped the Leafs in the Phil Kessel trade....then practically gave away all those assets for a bunch of meh.

What a good idea!

That's why he's a real live NHL GM and the rest of us are just clowns on a message board.

“Everybody knew there were sort of three defensemen that stood out. We speculated all along where I thought they would break, and it went as advertised. That’s why I think we tried as hard as we did to get into that grouping of players.”

And then he took a defenseman with his first pick anyway...

First they raped the Leafs in the Phil Kessel trade....then practically gave away all those assets for a bunch of meh.

Yeah, but a lot of that wasn't Sweeney...

That's why he's a real live NHL GM and the rest of us are just clowns on a message board.

What a good idea!

Don't forget, he needed to make sure he had the cash to re-sign McQuaid to keep his blueline up to snuff.

Don't forget, he needed to make sure he had the cash to re-sign McQuaid to keep his blueline up to snuff.

And that is bizarre in itself.  give up one of your top pair d-men to keep a #4 or #5. :confused[1]:   Where is that logic?

And then he took a defenseman with his first pick anyway...

Which was more or less ok. The real screwup was passing on Barzal and Connor, two guys who many expected to go in the top 10 (and Konecny as well). Even if he didn't want any of them (a head-scratcher in its own right) why not use those two picks to trade up or down with a team (or teams) that did want them? Maybe he could have traded up to Crouse, a perfect (possibly better) replacement for Lucic?

I think Sweeny sold high on Lucic , I really wonder what Lombardi was doing with that move ... 

I still don't get the Hamilton trade, what they didn't want to pay him so off you go as @J0eThornt0n suggests ?

that's weird, unwise, obtuse pick your descriptor.

then to have 3 picks in a row and not take any of Barzal ,  I don't know much about Connor, or our guy Konecny when they were all still there makes me wonder if he did some heroine after his play for number 3 went sour and he just nodded at the his guys when they mentioned names to him...******* unbelieveable.

I think Sweeny sold high on Lucic , I really wonder what Lombardi was doing with that move ... 

I still don't get the Hamilton trade, what they didn't want to pay him so off you go as @J0eThornt0n suggests ?

that's weird, unwise, obtuse pick your descriptor.

then to have 3 picks in a row and not take any of Barzal ,  I don't know much about Connor, or our guy Konecny when they were all still there makes me wonder if he did some heroine after his play for number 3 went sour and he just nodded at the his guys when they mentioned names to him...****** unbelieveable.

Connor's comparable is Toews. Yes, that is how deep this draft is. On another year, a surefire top 5 pick.

Sweeney stood up on the stage with his jaw jutted out angry and livid that the fans booed him after trading Hamilton, soderberg and fan favorite Lucic. He was mad as Hell that the fans were mad at him. Good lord.

My first thought was the Bruins were going to try to move up and get Hanifin but it didn't happen, the draft was okay, but I was confused as to what they were doing.

And now Rinaldo for a third. Ahem.

Within two months Sweeney is already the most hated man in Boston Hockey today.

Archived