Sutter traded to Canucks

pilldoc

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=775799&cmpid=nhl-twt

The Vancouver Canucks acquired forward Brandon Sutter and a conditional third-round pick at the 2016 NHL Draft from the Pittsburgh Penguins on Tuesday for forward Nick Bonino, defenseman Adam Clendening and a second-round pick in 2016.

Sutter, 26, had 21 goals and 12 assists in 80 games last season and one goal and one assist in five Stanley Cup Playoff games. A first-round pick (No. 11) by the Carolina Hurricanes in 2007, Sutter has 98 goals and 87 assists in 495 regular-season games between the Penguins and Hurricanes, and eight goals and four assists in 33 playoff games.

Bonino, 27, had 15 goals and 24 assists in 75 games for the Canucks last season and one goal and two assists in six playoff games. Bonino, a sixth-round pick (No. 173) by the San Jose Sharks in 2007, has 48 goals and 73 assists in 264 games between the Canucks and Anaheim Ducks.

Clendening, 22, had two assists in 17 games for the Canucks last season and one goal and one assist in four games for the Chicago Blackhawks. A second-round pick by Chicago (No. 36) in 2011, Clendening has one goal and three assists in 21 games between Vancouver and Chicago.

Ok this is for all our Pens fans...what do you think?  I guess Bonino will play on 3rd line. Not exactly sure why the Pens made this trade unless for Salary cap reasons.  One would think Bonino is marginally better than Sutter.  Then again I'm not well versed with the Canucks team roster.

WOW did the Pens just absolutely kill the Canucks with this one. It makes zero sense for the Canucks on any level, just an absolute win for the Pens.

Sutter is a solid two way player. With him and Spalling both gone it means the defense is going to be on their own, forwards will give a wave at opposing lines going past them and then await the clearing pass (hopefully) from the defense but Bonino is a better offensive player than Sutter, by far.

Clendening is one of those guys who i have wondered why he hasnt clicked at an NHL level. I watch a ton of AHL hockey on the laptop, he has looked like a star at times with Rockford. He at the last is a puck moving bottom pair guy with upside.

and A SECOND coming back for a third? Wow Rutherford, please pass along the Vancouver phone numbers to Kenny Holland.

AND I just read the used the money they saved to sign Eric Fehr who is a solid replacement for the departed Comeau. A nice backchecker who will score on the third line. Pittsburgh just got three solid players for one, IMHO. And i would take either Fehr or Bonino even up for Sutter. Just a great sequence for the Pens. I was literally at sea trying to figure out what the Pens were doing with their bottom six but now I think they are solid there. solid as can be. Dont foget a year ago Bonino was a key piece in the Kesler deal. I really for the life of me do not understand Vancouver at all.

WOW did the Pens just absolutely kill the Canucks with this one. It makes zero sense for the Canucks on any level, just an absolute win for the Pens.

Sutter is a solid two way player. With him and Spalling both gone it means the defense is going to be on their own, forwards will give a wave at opposing lines going past them and then await the clearing pass (hopefully) from the defense but Bonino is a better offensive player than Sutter, by far.

Clendening is one of those guys who i have wondered why he hasnt clicked at an NHL level. I watch a ton of AHL hockey on the laptop, he has looked like a star at times with Rockford. He at the last is a puck moving bottom pair guy with upside.

and A SECOND coming back for a third? Wow Rutherford, please pass along the Vancouver phone numbers to Kenny Holland.

AND I just read the used the money they saved to sign Eric Fehr who is a solid replacement for the departed Comeau. A nice backchecker who will score on the third line. Pittsburgh just got three solid players for one, IMHO. And i would take either Fehr or Bonino even up for Sutter. Just a great sequence for the Pens. I was literally at sea trying to figure out what the Pens were doing with their bottom six but now I think they are solid there. solid as can be. Dont foget a year ago Bonino was a key piece in the Kesler deal. I really for the life of me do not understand Vancouver at all.

Yeah, I don't understand this either, considering Bonino was a key piece of the Kessler deal, as you say. Fehr easily replaces Sutter for the Pens so a good day for them I'd say.

Yup.

The Canucks seem to be entering rebuild mode as they talk of getting rid of Hamhuis and Vrbata. But they are getting rid of the wrong pieces right now.

The pens definitely improved. Fehr > Sutter and they got him for 1.3 mill per year less. Bonino for 2 more years under 2 million.

A lot of previously contending teams seem to be making questionable blunders this offseason.

The ducks weakened themselves getting Bieksa and resigning him and trading Wisniewski in the process(Who is better than Bieksa), then giving old man Kesler an extension that will bite them later.

The Hawks turned over half their roster and lost their most promising young player in Saad for spare parts.

The kings get Lucic, who is on the downswing of his career ala captain Brown AND lose Voynov to stupidity and probably won't get away with ditching Richards for long. Also, bouncing Jones east in hopes San Jose does not get him, only to have San jose get him :)

I am soooooo ready for this season to start

@J0e Th0rnton

Clendening, man can the kid move the puck for two years I watched him in Rockford and he was something else, I am not gonna look up the stats right now but he had like 14 or 15 goals and 40 or so assists as a 21 year old, following up a solid break out year the year before.

And then last year happened. He got off to a slow start, he got passed by TVR on the depth chart (unfairly in my opinion) and when he was recalled he was tentative, wound up in Quinneville's dog house and dumped to Vancouver where he was lost and wound up in Utica playing solid hockey down the stretch in the AHL making it the the Calder cup finals.

I am not saying he is a star in the making but sometimes a player slips through the cracks, even in Chicago. It happens. A kid at 21 who can score 55-60 points in the AHL and run a power play looking like a vet can slump and have an offseason. I wouldn't write him off. He has talent, can move the puck and with guys like Malkin, Crosby and Kessel in front of him if he lands a job as a third pair guy and QB for the second power play unit he could have one heck of a year.

@J0e Th0rnton

Clendening, man can the kid move the puck for two years I watched him in Rockford and he was something else, I am not gonna look up the stats right now but he had like 14 or 15 goals and 40 or so assists as a 21 year old, following up a solid break out year the year before.

And then last year happened. He got off to a slow start, he got passed by TVR on the depth chart (unfairly in my opinion) and when he was recalled he was tentative, wound up in Quinneville's dog house and dumped to Vancouver where he was lost and wound up in Utica playing solid hockey down the stretch in the AHL making it the the Calder cup finals.

I am not saying he is a star in the making but sometimes a player slips through the cracks, even in Chicago. It happens. A kid at 21 who can score 55-60 points in the AHL and run a power play looking like a vet can slump and have an offseason. I wouldn't write him off. He has talent, can move the puck and with guys like Malkin, Crosby and Kessel in front of him if he lands a job as a third pair guy and QB for the second power play unit he could have one heck of a year.

I agree. I looked the kid up. Seems like a pretty solid prospect to be honest. 7.0B, with terrific AHL numbers.

Should at LEAST get a bottom pairing job with 2nd PP duties, with potential for more.

Um...Bonnio, a solid defensive d-man, a better draft pick AND Eric Fehr....me no likey, not one little bit. Pens became a lot stronger today. Fehr may not get the press that the Bonnio deal will, but he is every bit as important. You win with guys like Fehr, they are the glue that binds.

Um...Bonnio, a solid defensive d-man, a better draft pick AND Eric Fehr....me no likey, not one little bit. Pens became a lot stronger today. Fehr may not get the press that the Bonnio deal will, but he is every bit as important. You win with guys like Fehr, they are the glue that binds.

why not? I thought you would like to see your Flyers lose to the Pens! Lol :D

I don't at all understand what Benning is doing. The moves he's making don't really do much to help the team. They just surprised everyone by making the playoffs, but instead of trying to build on that, he appears to be packing it in. I wouldn't even call it rebuilding, because in some cases (such as this one), they're paying players that will probably do less more money. Oh yeah, and this helps the Pens with cap space too. Congratulations to Pittsburgh on this one. They're the clear winner. I fully expected them to miss the playoffs in the upcoming season, but I may have to begin rethinking that.

I don't at all understand what Benning is doing. The moves he's making don't really do much to help the team. They just surprised everyone by making the playoffs, but instead of trying to build on that, he appears to be packing it in. I wouldn't even call it rebuilding, because in some cases (such as this one), they're paying players that will probably do less more money. Oh yeah, and this helps the Pens with cap space too. Congratulations to Pittsburgh on this one. They're the clear winner. I fully expected them to miss the playoffs in the upcoming season, but I may have to begin rethinking that.
That would depend on how the new pieces jell! If these pieces do well (which I'm hoping they do) then I would agree with your statement!

I also hoping you statement is correct! Let's see how this plays out!

That would depend on how the new pieces jell! If these pieces do well (which I'm hoping they do) then I would agree with your statement!

As you suggest, it's not a sure thing, but they certainly look better after today. I applaud their front office.

As you suggest, it's not a sure thing, but they certainly look better after today. I applaud their front office.
the kessel trade still bothers me! Offensively it would be okay his defense is what I'm concerned with!

I'm happy today. I am a Sutter fan in that I think he played a good two way game, was a full time short handed threat, and still out scored Jordan Staal at half the price. I suppose I didn't expect too much from him so I was pleased with his play here.

Having said that, Bonino is a solid two way guy, and Fehr brings a lot of heart and two way play himself. Clendening and the upgrade on draft picks are just bonuses.

the kessel trade still bothers me! Offensively it would be okay his defense is what I'm concerned with!

I didn't like that move from Pittsburgh's perspective either, but Bonino and Fehr may go a long way to help with that.

The added one dog in Kessel, who will score, that is his job. The other additions are all heart and soul...Fehr, Bonnio, Clendening....all work horses....and let's not forget, a whole year with Pacuel Dupuis, who bring even more energy to the line up. These two forwards additons (really 3 counting Dupis) make the Pens a LOT deeper and way more dangerous. Kessel can dog it all he wants, as long as he buries the buiscuts, the new recruits will assure depth and hard work through the line up.

I'm really not that impressed with Bonino he isn't that good for a 2nd line center as the Kesler replacement, I think his best days were with Anaheim.  Defensively he isn't as good as Sutter either on the 3rd line and if you figure Bo Horvat is the Canucks 2nd line center the trade doesn't seem so lopsided until you wonder why the Canucks needed to give up a 2nd round draft pick?

Archived