Will Bernier settle before Arbitration? Update: 2 Years $4.15M

hf101

4072312084_e15fb1976e_b.jpg

Jonathan Bernier's arbitration hearing is scheduled for Friday.  

Bernier  is asking  $5.1M and Toronto is offering $2.89M.  Interestingly the Leafs filed for the hearing if this goes to Arbitration the contract will be a 1 year deal with Bernier becoming an UFA next summer.  Bernier is coming off a two year deal where he earned $2.4M in 2013-14 and $3.4M in 2014-15 and after a less than stellar season last year the Leafs are offering less money.  So what is Toronto doing here?  Do they really want Bernier to walk next year?

To be honest, I don't even care if he signs or not. I haven't seen any indication that he gives a damn if the Leafs win or not. I just have this gut feeling that he wants to play somewhere else - anywhere else...

I think the Leafs should stiff him with the lowest contract they can get away with, then trade him.

P.S. @ hf101 - you do realize that the picture you attached is Reimer, right?  :blink[1]:

In all honesty, what leverage does Bernier have? He has simply not earned that kind of salary.

As has been discussed with other arbitration hearings (*cough* Holtby *cough*) the player side is going to shoot way high and the team side will shoot way low.

I think he's likely to get around the same money he got this year ($3.4M) and has a year to make a statement to future suitors.

He's the real thing, you have to invest in that when you have it. He's on a brutal team for chrissake.

I agree with that, but it's the Leafs that are lowballing him and not making the investment.

This could blow up in their faces if he puts up a good year and walks.

I agree with that, but it's the Leafs that are lowballing him and not making the investment.

I just think it's too soon to say that Bernier can't be a great #1 guy on a well-structured (and better) team. Who else is out there? That's why they went out and got him. He's been hung out to dry by that excuse for a team almost every night, show some faith in him man.

To be honest, I don't even care if he signs or not. I haven't seen any indication that he gives a damn if the Leafs win or not. I just have this gut feeling that he wants to play somewhere else - anywhere else...

I think the Leafs should stiff him with the lowest contract they can get away with, then trade him.

P.S. @ hf101 - you do realize that the picture you attached is Reimer, right?  :blink[1]:

Fixed.  thanks,  hey -  it was the best photo on google w/r searching Jonathan Bernier   ;) 

I dunno on the trading Bernier.  There isn't really a ton of prospect talent in the Leaf's system and next years crop of UFA goaltenders are mostly backups.  Why give up extra picks or prospects to get a #1 when they likely have that guy.  The Leafs just need more talent / effort in front of him.

Bernier should sign right away, cause I believe an arbitrator would rule in the Leafs favour. No way is he worth 5 mill, regardless of the team in front of him. There is a good chance he will never be worth 5 mill a year....he should jump on the Leafs offer and not look back....want more cash, put up some stats to back up his theory he is worth more.

Bernier should sign right away, cause I believe an arbitrator would rule in the Leafs favour. No way is he worth 5 mill, regardless of the team in front of him. There is a good chance he will never be worth 5 mill a year....he should jump on the Leafs offer and not look back....want more cash, put up some stats to back up his theory he is worth more.

He's never going to get $5M, but I don't see an arbitrator giving him $500K less ($2.89M) than he's making now ($3.4M).

I can see him getting in the mid-$3M range with little problem.

I think if the Leafs had offered him in the $3.4M-$4M range he probably would have bitten on it for a short term. When they went serious lowball on him, he balked.

He's never going to get $5M, but I don't see an arbitrator giving him $500K less ($2.89M) than he's making now ($3.4M).

I think if the Leafs had offered him in the $3.4M-$4M range he probably would have bitten on it for a short term. When they went serious lowball on him, he balked.

Agreed. He didn't deserve to be lowballed like that. It's a sure way to create bad blood. And if that bad blood lingers, he'll eventually demand to be traded to a real hockey team. 

I think he will get some good money from arbitration. With the offers Toronto is throwing his was, I doubt he signs before. Toronto is doing the right thing by trying to get a guy as cheap as possible, but they step on toes when they make arbitration offers like this. I agree with you guys that Bernier might be out of Toronto soon.

Agreed. He didn't deserve to be lowballed like that. It's a sure way to create bad blood. And if that bad blood lingers, he'll eventually demand to be traded to a real hockey team. 

Unless I'm mistaken, he's UFA after next season?

He asked for a one-year term. That, to me, says "I'm walking after next season"

Yep. Everything I have seen lately says Bernier wants out of TO. Guess I can't really blame him given how the team has "played" the last 4 or 5 years. On the other hand, he has not impressed at all. This one year deal will show us what he's made of and whether or not he wants to stay in TO.

I think it is unlikely.

He's never going to get $5M, but I don't see an arbitrator giving him $500K less ($2.89M) than he's making now ($3.4M).

Ahhh, I didn't do my homework. I did not know the Leafs offer was below last years salary. I have to agree, no way an arbitrator lowers his pay. If the Leafs were smart, they would have come in at approx 10% more than he made last year, and they probably would have won based on that slight raise. Since the arbitrator has to pick one number or the other, there is a decent chance the Leafs might lose this. They messed up on their offer, or so it seems anyways.

Since the arbitrator has to pick one number or the other, there is a decent chance the Leafs might lose this. They messed up on their offer, or so it seems anyways.

The arbitrator can set whatever salary he wants, but never less than 85% of the previous salary.

The Leafs' offer is exactly 85% less than his previous salary.

I know arbitration is a bloodsport, but this seems to me an unnecessary slap in the face for a player they sent a 2nd and two players to LA to get.

I didn't know Bernier asked for a 1 year deal either.  Reimer is a UFA also next summer.  Not the best position to be in looking to acquire another goaltender by trade as they will likely have to overpay.

Toronto and Bernier settle to a two year deal.  $4.15M in each of the next two years.

Smart move by Toronto imo.  Bernier's play will improve as the team around him improves.

Basically Bernier is making $50,000 more than Mason and $50,000 less than Anderson with 22 teams paying more money for their starting goaltenders than the Leafs.  I think the Leafs won here.

Toronto and Bernier settle to a two year deal.  $4.15M in each of the next two years.

Smart move by Toronto imo.  Bernier's play will improve as the team around him improves.

I'm not convinced Bernier has what it takes to be #1 guy in the NHL.

I'll give him the fact that the supporting cast in Leaf land was non existent , however having said that Bernier has a lot of brain farts that result in awful goals at untimely moments and that is on him and him a loan.

I'm not convinced Bernier has what it takes to be #1 guy in the NHL.

I'll give him the fact that the supporting cast in Leaf land was non existent , however having said that Bernier has a lot of brain farts that result in awful goals at untimely moments and that is on him and him a loan.

Many said the same about Mason also, Bernier played well in LA prior to the trade.

Basically Bernier is making $50,000 more than Mason and $50,000 less than Anderson with 22 teams paying more money for their starting goaltenders than the Leafs.  I think the Leafs won here.

Now that they've signed him, they can trade him at the deadline for another prospect (if he plays well).  I'm sure he doesn't figure into the Leafs long term plans.  :)

Archived