Greatest Panthers player of all time

yave1964

Greatest Florida Panther  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the all time greatest Florida Panther?

• Roberto Luongo
    • Olli Jokinen
    • Stephen Weiss
    • Scott Mellanby

mNcgPQbAPzrWpUWyBFfuEDg.jpg And cue the laugh track.

The Candidates for the all time best Florida Panther are:

ROBERTOmNEl5_drgvXdDLAvkNL2LPQ.jpg LUONGO: If nothing else, the most enthusiastic. A Panther for the second time he seems to be willing to nail his feet to the ground in Sunrise and stay there. Easily the all time leader among goalies in all major categories including games (392) and wins with 142. 2nd team all star twice.

STEPHEN WEISS; All time leader in games played for the Panthers with 654 which either qualifies him for an award or a lifetime of therapy. Also all time leader in assists and second in points.

SCOTT MELLANBY: top three or four in most offensive categories all time for the team, first real offensive star, scored 30 goals twice in teams infancy and led the team to their first ever Stanley Cup appearance.

OLLImg59My0uZGi59FmY9Qmr-lg.jpg JOKINEN: I had no idea that Olli is the all time leader in scoring for the Panthers until I started this thread and I plan on washing that memory out of my mind as soon as possible. He leads the clubs history with 188 goals and 419 points. a sobering thought, no active player is within half his total. He really is not that bad a player, but their all time leader? Really???

Others whom I considered were Bure for his couple of brilliant years, Vanbiesbrouck for helping lead the team to respectability, and Niedermayer and Bouwmeester but their numbers overall didnt quite crack this vaunted list. Heh.

WHO AM I? m1e1U6w9bELQ9GYqCwOhOvg.jpg

Out of the 4 choices you gave, I would go with Scott Mellanby. He was captain and a true leader for many years. Inevitably, Exblad will take over and will be the best Panther ever. In fact, his rookie season was so impressive, it would not be out of whack to put him into the equation right away.

Out of the 4 choices you gave, I would go with Scott Mellanby. He was captain and a true leader for many years. Inevitably, Exblad will take over and will be the best Panther ever. In fact, his rookie season was so impressive, it would not be out of whack to put him into the equation right away.

What a sad, sad grouping. I would go Luongo first and Mellanby second but he was a true warrior who led the team and deserves to be remembered.

Pavel Bure deserves to be here. During his short stint with the Panthers, he had 2 back to back almost 60 goal seasons during the height of the dead puck era. and he already holds their single season record for most points and goals. Panthers have never had a player as good as him ever since, even if thats quite a sad thought, its better than Olli Jokinen being your best forward...

Might as well add Bure into the equation as well if thats the case, just based on his 2 back to back almost 60 goal seasons during the height of the dead puck era

@JagerMeister  I agree. The pickings are so very slim for the Panthers, you have to consider this....223 games over parts of 4 seasons as a Panther and 241 points to show for it.....all this, with no real stars backing him up. He should be on the list. Not the best case scenario, adding a guy who only played parts of 4 seasons, but hey....this teams list SUCKs....gotta agree with you. In fact, I would take Bure right now over Mellanby, even with all his intangibles.

Two hundred games, I just couldn't justify putting Bure on the list but that is the fun of these things, the give and take. He had the two best individual seasons in Panther history, but career wise I couldn't justify those two seasons and literally nothing else to go with it putting him on the list. This one is dreadful, I think only Columbus will compare and they had Nash.

I voted Luongo, but I would've had to have considered Bure as well.

Agreed. If we have to pick from the list, then Luongo wins by a mile. The other guys were just ordinary players that accumulated time with the Panthers. Luongo is an elite NHL goaltender.

And realistically, Pavel Bure is the best player to play for the Panthers. I'm surprised he doesn't lead the team in every offensive category with the years he had. I know he was only there briefly, but the other guys sucked so bad. One more year and Bure probably would have caught them all lol.  :P

How about Dave Lowry?  He had a John Druce like flash in the pan playoffs during Florida's run to the Finals in 1995-96.  Then like the Panthers remembered that they were the Panthers the next year Lowry remembered that he was Dave Lowry and sucked again (surprisingly the Flyers never picked him up as they did with Druce).  As he was a major bright spot in the only moment in time that the Panthers were good he deserves consideration for one of the "greatest Panthers players" of all time.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of that mediocre at best group, I would have to say Luongo. He was a better player than any of the other choices for a longer time, and after he was traded to the Canucks, kept up a high level of play. I was surprised that Ed Jovanoski or John Vanbiesbrouck weren't on that list. I would have voted for either of those guys over the choices there.

Pavel Bure deserves to be here. During his short stint with the Panthers, he had 2 back to back almost 60 goal seasons during the height of the dead puck era. and he already holds their single season record for most points and goals. Panthers have never had a player as good as him ever since, even if thats quite a sad thought, its better than Olli Jokinen being your best forward...

I forgot about the Russian Rocket being there. I would still say Beezer or Jovanoski over him just based on the lengths of their careers there, and the team's overall level of success in having reached the Cup finals in 1996. Based on the overall talent of the player, however, Bure would definitely be at the very top of that list.

Archived