Brayden Schenn - Step up or Get out?

brelic

bschenn_062314_672.jpg

You don't have to read very far between the lines - as in, it's pretty black and white - to see that Hextall is less than impressed with Brayden Schenn. It doesn't sound like he's much of a core player in his mind unless he shows why he was a 5th overall pick.

Look at some of these quotes:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/320225021.html

[Couturier and Schenn] are on similar trajectories in their career and are both in their early 20’s.

Will there be a push now to get a deal done with Schenn before training camp starts in mid-September and place him in the group of core forwards of the future?

I’m not sure there’ll be a push,” Hextall said Thursday. “I’ve spoke with Brayden’s agents a number of times over the summer about different things and the subject has never come up. It’s not something we’re in a hurry to do and I’m assuming they feel the same way.”

Unlike Couturier, Schenn might not have a long-term future in Philadelphia. 

“Not that we wouldn’t like to get him signed, but I think we’ll probably give it another year to see where things flush out,” Hextall said. “I don’t anticipate signing Brayden, which never means that you’re not going to. But it’s not something that we’ll actively pursue. We’ll wait and see how the year goes and probably talk at some point, whether it be during the year or next summer.”

Or not at all. 

That's a pretty big kick in the gonads to Schenn. Hextall could have just as easily said "Don't be like Luke!" :)

You don't have to read very far between the lines - as in, it's pretty black and white - to see that Hextall is less than impressed with Brayden Schenn. It doesn't sound like he's much of a core player in his mind unless he shows why he was a 5th overall pick.

Look at some of these quotes:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/320225021.html

That's a pretty big kick in the gonads to Schenn. Hextall could have just as easily said "Don't be like Luke!" :)

Brayden's biggest problem is consistency...maybe they will find a spot/position for him and just leave him there and see if he grows.

Brayden's biggest problem is consistency...maybe they will find a spot/position for him and just leave him there and see if he grows.

Yeah, the article mentions that he had 16 goals in a 48 game stretch last year, and then 2 goals in a 34 game stretch. I wonder if that can be explained by where he was positionally or his linemates? 

I agree with you - he needs to become a more consistent player. I know it was a small sample size, but he looked very good on Couturier's wing at the end of the season. Start with that and see if it develops.

@brelic

The consistency might start with constant linemates, and position. 

I don't have a problem with Hextall taking a wait and see approach...I wouldn't have minded it with Voracek. Schenns development has been slow but steady. This should be a make or break year for him as a Flyer. Hopefully he can have steady good linemates....not Umberger and Vinnie.

Ya i gues it's time BSchenn gets some steady line mates if the coaches want to evaluate him properly. Obviously he's got to step up the effort shift to shift, he can't go entire periods being basically invisible. Not this year, not under a new HC who's looking to make some steady progress developing his team. Hextall has time and I'm glad he plans on using it.

Who knows where Brayden head is, as far as commitment to his career, to the Flyers, playing with his brother...? This season I guess we'll get some answers.

It's put up or shut up for both Schenns - with Brayden maybe with more value as a trade piece because of his RFA status, although Luke has "rental" written all over him.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them both dealt for picks. Flyers have pieces in the system that can fill both holes and I expect that they are looking in that direction. They don't need roster players back, but they do need to keep stocking the cupboard.

Of course, if they have breakout seasons "anything can happen"™.

I'm definitely sympathetic to him having a lousy coach, deadweight line mates, and being moved all over the lineup. Honestly I think that combination of factors would be tough on any young player. It certainly hasn't *helped* his development, that's for sure.

With that said, to me the weird thing with Schenn is I don't feel like I know what kind of player he is, or what he ceiling might be -- even though he's still young, these things at least are usually discernible after a couple years in the NHL. He still needs to establish his identity and potential as a player, both of which are still kind of undefined at this stage.

Hopefully Hakstoll will provide a clear role for him and a lot more structure than he's had so far. That would at least give him a fighting chance to establish himself, otherwise I think he'll be trade bait. I do think he has the potential to be one of those guys who gets discarded in one place (Philly) and finds success (at least on some level) with a change of scenery.

I have no idea why I think this - and have spent almost no time considering the almost certain mind-numbing stupidity of it - but I'd like to see Brayden tried on the point on the 2nd, or even the first, PP unit. 

@brelic

The consistency might start with constant linemates, and position. 

I don't have a problem with Hextall taking a wait and see approach...I wouldn't have minded it with Voracek. Schenns development has been slow but steady. This should be a make or break year for him as a Flyer. Hopefully he can have steady good linemates....not Umberger and Vinnie.

And if he miraculously has a great year and puts up nice numbers management will reward him with an 8 year contract at $8 million per. 

Hopefully either Schenn or Laughton will step up and play well on left wing. It would be nice if one of them could make the first line. Since there is only one open center spot for the third line, it would benefit these guys to learn play wing, so one guy goes to wing and the other to third line center. It's either that or Laughton goes to the minors or Schenn gets traded for a natural left wing

@RonJeremy

Lombardi was/is the gm in LA.

Well he was the Assistant General Manager so he was part of the brain trust that i'm sure Lombardi discussed and help him decide to trade Brayden. We can't really prove he did or didn't have a say so.

Just like he was in a similar role in Philly (before he took over the GM role) advising Homer before he traded for and resigned Mcdud.

And yes i would prefer to believe in my mind he was advising Homer against this....but we don't know for sure....maybe he even suggested it. In his defense i'd almost want to say no way that is a Homer deal all the way.............but then we have the Hartnell/RJ trade..........the smoking gun?????

Archived