Bored waiting for the season!

Jam1986

Read a few predictions saying the Flyers will not make playoffs. So what would be Hexy game plan going in  if this what people think? I think as always we will make playoffs and win the cup. So what will be surprise this year? What player steps up? Who falls? The surprise player that gets traded? Come on season! Sorry bored!

So what would be Hexy game plan going in  if this what people think?

Move as much dead weight as you can.

Anyone who doesn't look to fit the mold of players they are looking for, needs to be moved for either picks/prospects or just free up cap space to resign the guys they think fit or to add the ones they think might next offseason.

Slowly forming the team the think can make a deep run for the Cup.

@Jam1986

I don't have a problem with not making the playoffs...as long as the GM isn't just throwing crap at a wall to see what sticks. Hextall has a plan to build through youth and development, something I've been waiting decades for a gm of the Flyers to do. Homer started that way, then went the usual route and started signing older guys and throwing draft picks away. I enjoy watching a team being built..much more than trying to buy a cup.

Read a few predictions saying the Flyers will not make playoffs. So what would be Hexy game plan going in  if this what people think? I think as always we will make playoffs and win the cup. So what will be surprise this year? What player steps up? Who falls? The surprise player that gets traded? Come on season! Sorry bored!

Keep doing what he is doing....slowly rid the team of horrible contracts either by trade or buyout, stay patient by not trading away draft picks for over prices vets, and develop the kids over the next couple of seasons.  I think this team is absolutely headed in the right direction.  They have a young D waiting in the wings that has the potential to be awesome, they have locked up much of their young offensive core, and they have a very good goalie who, so long as he can stay healthy, may not even be in his prime yet.  Very excited!

I don't see much of a change from last year and I don't expect them to make the playoffs.  Come out of this season with another high draft pick and start bringing up the "D" prospects.  They will have outstanding "D" in 2-3 years.

Keep doing what he is doing....slowly rid the team of horrible contracts either by trade or buyout, stay patient by not trading away draft picks for over prices vets, and develop the kids over the next couple of seasons.  I think this team is absolutely headed in the right direction.  They have a young D waiting in the wings that has the potential to be awesome, they have locked up much of their young offensive core, and they have a very good goalie who, so long as he can stay healthy, may not even be in his prime yet.  Very excited!

Tl4Yb.gif

Stay the course, be very patient and just see what happens. Since we are dealing with Hextall and not Gomer.....we can rest assured there will be NO stupid moves designed to save his job....only smart, pre-thought out plans and a clear vision for the future. We know this much....the new additions of note, namely Gagner, Neuvirth and Medvedev should make the team 5-10% better right off the hop. We should see a noticeable improvement from Cooter, B.Schenn (we never did nail down a nickname for this guy, did we?....how about Mr.Average?). We have not yet seen the best version of Giroux (although, it would be fair to say this is the year where he may peak), Vorachek, Simmonds...and as the defense slowly becomes more mobile, we should indeed see a better version of Mason as well. With any luck, Del Zotto may be due for a career year also.

All of these extenuating factors could land us a playoff spot. It may come down to a variable like injuries (yeah, nail us to the McCrossin....LOL). We know that Grossmann, as steady as he was as a physical force, will be gone, along with his lead in boot disease. How mobile the defense is, might depend on which young Phantoms make the trip to Philly....another variable dependent on injuries and potential trades. If the best case in all of these scenarios happens, yeah, the playoffs are a definite possibility....and who knows, long runs come at the drop of a hat...just like 2010 when we made the playoffs on Giroux's shoot out goal in the last game of the regular season and turned into a trip to the finals and one Leaky Leighton save away from a deciding game #7.

To make the playoffs, key players like G and V, Simmonds, Mason, Del Zotto among others all must have career years...BUT, based on historical averages, these guys are all due to have career years....so we have that much in our back pockets.

@jammer2

Del Zotto being mentioned as a key player is dis heartening, if he is a key player then the Flyers and us fans are in for a longer season then any of us will care to endure.

Del Zotto is one of if not the most overrated on the blue line ,in fact I'll go as far as to say most overrated on the team!

@flyerfan2

Not a fan either. As a FA signing for cheap I was happy with his play. The guy has talent, but takes risky chances that either result in highlight reel goals or turnovers going the other way...the latter being the more prevalent. I'm hoping he turns out to be a nice trade chip at the deadline.

Del Zotto is one of if not the most overrated on the blue line ,in fact I'll go as far as to say most overrated on the team!

I have a tendancy to agree, BUT...speaking strictly in terms of points, Del Z had 32 points in 64 games last year, which is pretty decent production for a guy who is not a mainstay on the top pp. I honestly believe we will see Michael net 50 pts this year for the first time....which would put him in some pretty distinct company for pt producing d-men. He would make a very nice deadline trade chip. You could package him with some other assets and get a real upgrade on offense.

I have a tendancy to agree, BUT...speaking strictly in terms of points, Del Z had 32 points in 64 games last year, which is pretty decent production for a guy who is not a mainstay on the top pp. I honestly believe we will see Michael net 50 pts this year for the first time....which would put him in some pretty distinct company for pt producing d-men. He would make a very nice deadline trade chip. You could package him with some other assets and get a real upgrade on offense.

At 0.5 points per game, why not just keep the defenseman? Pair him with a complimentary player and fix the entire roster's neutral zone play. Problem mitigated.

At 0.5 points per game, why not just keep the defenseman? Pair him with a complimentary player and fix the entire roster's neutral zone play. Problem mitigated.

I was thinking about that route also, guys that score that many pts from the backend are kinda hard to find. I wonder where DZ will fit in when all the defensive prospects have arrived...is it possible all those kids could squeeze him out, make his skill set tradeable? It probably depends on how a kid like Hagg eventually fits in.

I like MDZ. The guy just turned 25 and under the tutelage of a guy like Hakstol, we could see him develop into a well-rounded defenseman. 

He has excellent offensive instincts and I see him as a Streit replacement over the next few seasons. Guys like Sanheim and Provorov will take 3-5 seasons to become true impact defensemen - and that's once they actually make the Flyers roster. I think MDZ fills the gap nicely until that happens. By that time, he will be a late 20s veteran #2/3 defenseman. I don't think Morin, Ghost, or Hagg have top pairing potential.

In his own zone, he is aggressive in checking defenders and will often separate the them from the puck with nifty moves or at least make life difficult for them.

Of our current blueliners, I like him the most honestly.

Guys like Sanheim and Provorov will take 3-5 seasons to become true impact defensemen - and that's once they actually make the Flyers roster.

TIme will tell, but I don't agree with that statement. These guys have some very nice wheels, and possess great vision...coupled with some awesome skill sets, I believe both will be impact d-men as early as their 2nd season in the league...Provorov might be rookie of the year in the 2016 campaign.

TIme will tell, but I don't agree with that statement. These guys have some very nice wheels, and possess great vision...coupled with some awesome skill sets, I believe both will be impact d-men as early as their 2nd season in the league...Provorov might be rookie of the year in the 2016 campaign.

I have to agree....as long as i've followed the Flyers i have never seen them with A Dman with this much talent much less two of them....i can hardly wait till they arrive and it will not take 5 years. I believe they will have an instant impact as soon as they get their chance.

@jammer2

@OccamsRazor

I'm glad you are both very optimistic. Provorov has the talent and the physical maturity to be an impact defenseman sooner. Sanheim will take some time. Dude is a beanpole.

I still don't think Provorov makes the team this year unless he blows the doors off everyone at camp. Of course I say that with absolutely no basis whatsoever :) He has never played an NHL game, let alone attend a training camp or actually play with, you know, NHL players.

Greetings:

Agreed that waiting is boring but what can we do...not under our control, right?

Last night, Puck Daddy posted that we would be about 5 points out playoff.  His gig was that while the D's problems get attention, the real question was scoring beyond G-V-S...and Simmonds' consistency getting little recognition.  Schenn's trajectory got mention...that he needs 60 instead of 47.  

I think this year and next are "growth" seasons that lay the foundation for the future.  The one big,"if" mentioned in the article: Hakstol.  It is high-risk, high-return, with the possibility that stretching from college to NHL has not been easy.  If there are early messes--we could have a rapid change.  

But I maintain a guarded optimism.  I have tickets for 8/10 in Sunrise--will give a review!  Got tickets where we shoot twice.

On a related note....I sometimes wonder if we will see Gudas in O and B.  Just a sixth sense...injury, trade, whatever, I don't see him here long...if ever.

Best,

Howie

Archived