2nd Greatest Pittsburgh Penguin player (after Mario)

yave1964

Greatest Penguin ever (besides Lemieux)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the second greatest Penguin player of all time?

• Sidney Crosby
    • Gino Malkin
    • Jaromir Jagr
    • Marc Andre Fleury
    • Jean Pronovost

m6myC21tPeCr8ZsVRO251Tg.jpg Obviously Mario Lemieux is the beginning and end of the conversation as the greatest Penguin ever, so this vote is for the second greatest of all time, 915 games, 690 goals, 1723 points nearly 2 points a game for his career. no shame in that second place to an iconic all time great is nothing to hang your head over. Your candidates:

JEAN PRONOVOST: An early star for the Penguins and 3rd all time in games played and in goals (315) in team history. over a 5 year stretch from 74 to 78 he averaged 42 goals a year. I debated Pronovost with Kehoe and decided that Pronovost deserved the nod as the first Penguin star of renown.

SIDNEYm0XnNBghbJ7r9O2ki2Ap8dA.jpg CROSBY: Love him or hate him, Crosby is one of the premier players in the game today, he just turned 28 and already has 853 points, 3rd all time in Pens history. 3 time first team all star, 2 time Hart winner, has led the league in scoring twice and in goals scored another time.

MARC ANDRE FLEURY Yep I put him on the list and have no problem with him being here. He won a cup, took them to another cup finals, has 100 career wins more than Barraso who is in second place including a team record 38 shut outs. His goals against the last five years have been between 2.32 and 2.39 every year. Flamed out once badly in the post season and had another time he was not very good but mostly he has been one hell of a goalie.

JAROMIRmu_ht-j2LHega19-ANeIFNA.jpg JAGR: Lemieux's partner on a line, an all time great Pen whose stats are second only to Super Mario in most categories. Second all time with 439 goals and 1079 points, won a couple of cups, led the league in scoring 5 times with Pittsburgh including a whopping 4 in a row, 7 time first team all star.

EVGENI MALKIN: Climbing up the lists just a shade behind Crosby, he is a star in his own right, 4th all time in points scored in team history and only 29. He won the Calder as the leagues best rookie and the Conn smythe when they won the cup in 2009. a 3 time first team all star, has led the league in scoring twice, his best season was 2011-12 when he swept most every award winning the Hart, Pearson and Ross.

I think I got the list right, I left off some damn good players, Kehoe for one was a favorite of mine, Letang maybe should have made it. Ron Francis for his part of his career in Pittsburgh was incredible but I always think of him more as a Hurricane/Whaler. happy voting.

WHO AM I?mXE7WG7L05RvVBtHa7WDTSQ.jpg The biggest what might have been in Penguin history.

No Ronnie Francis?? I see you consider him a Whaler but the numbers he put up here, the role he played here, and the success he had here... The man will always be one of the greatest Penguins ever.

Tough decision for me on this list... Crosby has the potential as he's the second greatest talent... But to date.... I'm between Francis and Jagr... Let me think about this...

@Polaris922

I went Jagr, 5 scoring championships including 4 in a row, too much not to pick him. Crosby a very close second, another Hart or another cup, absolutely I would rank him up there.

Francis, wow, I had a hard time not having him on here but even on the Penguin team he was never more than the third or even fourth best player, so I just couldnt add him. It came down to him or Pronovost, I dont know if you are old enough to remember Pronovost but he was a serious goal scorer for a long time before the big scoring era. If he had come along a decade later (or had better linemates) he would have put up some crazy numbers.

I go Francis, personally. Lots of people say they think of him as a Whaler. I get that, but for me if you say Francis I immediately think Penguins.

If I have to stick to the list, I go with Sid.

Pretty tough call between Crosby and Jagr IMO. At least I thought. It seems like Jagr played there longer, but its down to only one season now. Both players had their issues when younger...but I think Crosby is the better leader on the Pens. Pittsburgh fans have been pretty fortunate to have 3 of the best players on their team over the last few decades.

Francis was the reason they won the second Cup in the eyes of many Pens fans, and rightfully so.  He was never third or fourth best on the team, and that year he was number one when Mario was out for a long stretch.  That's what is so vividly captured in my memory, and makes it hard not to have him there.  

Jagr was never the mercenary he's painted to be, either.  Not until the management painted him to be this spoiled child who hated it here and then he started to act up the way they had hoped he would, trying to justify losing him, as they knew they had to.  I used to pull him over in his red Dodge Viper flying up and down the roads at night to his home in the next community over.  Was ALWAYS a super nice kid, and very respectful.  He was always about the Pens success until that last season.  The kid idolized Lemieux.  

Sidney. Jagr never carried the team on his shoulders like Sid does. IMHO, Jagr plays for money, Sid plays for the team.

Just my opinion....

Exactly why Jagr is still playing at the age of 43, has absolutely nothing to do with his passion for the game...

I have to go with Sidney Crosby for this poll. Jagr has the more impressive set of accolades. Even so, Sidney Crosby has been the better player during his tenure with Pittsburgh thus far.

Injuries have prevented Crosby from acquiring more trophies, yet Crosby up until last season was regularly on pace for atleast 100 points. A feat Jagr was unable to accomplish.

I go Francis, personally. Lots of people say they think of him as a Whaler. I get that, but for me if you say Francis I immediately think Penguins.

If I have to stick to the list, I go with Sid.

I don't think you can go wrong with Francis, especially if you factor in consistancy, something that has alluded Sid to this point....not his fault, injuries etc....but Francis was so damn dependable. He does does not get his just due... a true superstar.

I'll give Jagr the nod, AT THIS POINT IN TIME, simply because Sid's career is still going, He should surpass him in about 3 years.

Is that last picture on the first post Michel Briere???

It can be debated that Crosby has already exceeded Jagr based on ability, However if you are explicity talking about Crosby surpassing him in the sense that he accomplishes more then Jagr, then i believe that to be far more improbable.

Archived