A very sad day, Al Arbour passes at 82

jammer2

Easily one the greatest coaches of all time. Yeah, you can say his cup teams were stacked beyond belief, but one thing remained a constant, the Islanders were rarely outcoached....not in the early years, not during the 4 consecutive championships. He was a great tactician, knew how to get the very most out of players.

Al went to Assumption High School in Windsor, Ontario. He was very good friends with my Uncle Danny (God rest his soul also). They were locker partners for a few years in High School. Even back then, he displayed startling intellect and a special ability to convey his message.

He will be missed, one the greatest coaches of all time. A very sad day.

@jammer2

I mentioned him in my article of the greatest Isles players of all time. I know he never played for the Isles but he was the architect who built the great team, taught the kids patience and how to win. One of the all time greats.

@yave1964

I smiled when you included Arbour. It was oddly appropriate.

Class act and great coach.

Yeah, his teams were stacked. But I still think he made them individually better and definitely better as a group.

Probably my favorite non-Flyer coach.

I plan to do a blog post on Arbour in the next couple of days. That's not something I plan to do right after the death of just anyone and everyone, but in Arbour's case it seems like the right thing to do. Honestly, I doubt I could come up with anything bad to say about the guy even if I tried. Forget just for a moment that he's one of the best coaches in hockey history. He's one of the best human beings in hockey history.

He's one of the best human beings in hockey history.

I can attest to that first hand, my Uncle Danny and Al were best of friends....a very loyal fella. He once took a suspension from school to protect my Uncle, even though he did not do what they said he did....he took the blame to protect his friend.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to respond so late. I'm sorry to hear about Al Arbour passing away. Was simply an awesome coach. He built up the Islanders and made them the Dynasty in the early 80s of winning 4 straight cups. Also amazing athletes Smith, Bossy, Trottie,r Potvin, and many others.

Sorry to respond so late. I'm sorry to hear about Al Arbour passing away. Was simply an awesome coach. He built up the Islanders and made them the Dynasty in the early 80s of winning 4 straight cups. Also amazing athletes Smith, Bossy, Trottie,r Potvin, and many others.

19 consecutive playoff series wins by that group, I can't imagine that will ever be duplicated in the NHL

Another of the notables of the past also died today.  Dickie Moore.

I never met Al Arbour, but I had the honor of meeting  and dining with Dickie Moore.  And, on one occasion, I was able to bring one of my sons.  Dickie Moore was the kind of man you want your sons to meet.

A gracious and noble man.

Another of the notables of the past also died today.  Dickie Moore.

I never met Al Arbour, but I had the honor of meeting  and dining with Dickie Moore.  And, on one occasion, I was able to bring one of my sons.  Dickie Moore was the kind of man you want your sons to meet.

A gracious and noble man.

Geez, bad year for the legends. We lost a real gem here, RIP Dickie.

Archived