Questions facing the Wings as the season nears

yave1964

Less than a month until the players report to camp, here are the questions that I see that need answered.

WHO IS IN GOAL? Mrazek and Howard are in net, Howie was having an all star season until he was hurt and was not himself from then on. Mrazek is young and brash and was amazing in the seven game series that they played against Tampa. They will likely enter the year alternating until one or the other takes command of the job.

NEW, COACH, WHAT CHANGES WILL WE SEE? Blashill is absolutely not a Babcock clone, he is his own man, most of the Wings players have played for him in Grand Rapids or were on the team the one year he was an assistant on the big club.

I think the Wings will play a more wide open game with the new coach and the personnel at hand. Green is an offensive d-man, both Pulkinnen and Mantha who should make the team are offensive sharpshooters with limited defensive skill. In short, the Wings who have been a tad boring for the past several years, playing a laid back conservative style, should be a more up tempo attacking style.

DO ZETTERBERG AND DATSYUK HAVE ANYTHING LEFT? Z has started hot and slipped badly for two years now, last year the first half was great, the second half he looked old and tired. Pavel is coming off an injury and is unlikely to play until November.

I think the signing of Richards allows Zetterberg to play mostly on the wing, a less demanding position that should keep him fresh. The hope is that Sheahan and Richards will allow Pavel to play less all year, keeping him fresh for the postseason. I think they have a year or two of solid play left in them but the end is near.

WHO IS READY TO STEP UP AT THE AHL LEVEL? Dylan Larkin needs to start at Grand Rapids and build off his amazing season at the U of Michigan. He is an elite prospect but the hope is he can play a full season at the AHL level. If Richards fails or the wings old centers suffer an injury the future may be now for Larkin.

Mantha IMHO will bounce back and forth between the AHL and the NHL but may make it full time, depending on how some of the middle six forwards do. Pulkinnen has zero left to prove at the AHL level and should be a top six winger capable of scoring 30 goals this year.

A sleeper is Andreas Athanasiou who is a big center/wing who reminds me a lot of Val Filpulla but bigger and stronger. Great skill set, if he gets a shot he may prove to be a middle six hero.

On defense, Sproul, Marchenko and Oullet are going to be busting their butt to get noticed in case of an injury.

HOW WILL MIKE GREEN FIT IN? He is an offensive d-man and a righty shot, the two things the Wings have been desperate for so he should be a great addition. He will be paired with Danny Dekeyser who is quickly becoming a skilled shut down defender so he should be free to roam. He should be good for 55 points or so and help change the dynamic of the club.

He would not have been able to play for Babs, who demanded a conservative style from the team. But he, Pulkinnen and Mantha are all offense first and defense last, so the Wings will be much more fun to watch.

1) If I were a Wings fan, I'd like to see Mrazek in net. I said I would've started him in the playoffs last season, and when he got the nod, he did nothing to make me change my mind. I agree that he played very well.

2) There may be something of a transition period, but it shouldn't be too bad for the reasons you listed. Again, if I were a Wings fan, I'd be very happy with the hire, and I have a lot of faith in the guy. This is a case where the guy you expect to be the next hot coach and the inside guy that knows the players are one and the same, so this is a winner.

3) The age of Datsyuk and Zetterberg is my biggest concern for the Wings. The team won't be able to rely heavily on them for very long, and there's a very real possibility that it begins this year. That's the main reason I expect a bit of a slip from the team, though I do believe they'll still make the playoffs.

4) I don't have much to say here, because I'm not all that well versed on the minors. That's something I intend to change this season.

5) I think Green is a great addition. Detroit will need an extra spark because of #3, and I think he can give it. If used well, he still has plenty in the tank, and could help any team. The Wings should be thankful for John Carlsson, because he made Green somewhat expendable for the Caps. I'm not saying that they're glad to see him go, but they had to make a choice, and that ended up being Detroit's gain.

This will be a very interesting season and I am looking forward to seeing how Richards and Green pan out.  Of course I've been saying that the past couple years.  I was interested to see how Weiss turned out...

Nevertheless, this year feels to be different.  Perhaps Blash is the fresh-face needed to put the shine back on the team.  Pav and Z's age is definitely going to be an issue.  The Wings can't count on them as much as they did in years past.  It's just safer that way.  Nyquist, Abdelkader, Helm, Tatar, all these guys need to have hot years.  We will be expecting that of Abby and Helm, as they enter contract seasons but the rest of the crew has to chip in as well.  

Also with DeKeyser developing in fine fashion, and if Green works out to his potential, Kronwall may also feel a bit freer to relax instead of carrying the defensive burden on his shoulders.  I think he's been saddled with this the last couple seasons and his production has suffered a bit as a result.  Hopefully, he can pass some of the onus onto his blue line brethren, relax a bit, and play his game.  

Still another 5 week til puck drop though....

WHO IS IN GOAL

Howard becomes the leagues highest paid back up, after Mrazek picks up where he left off.

NEW, COACH, WHAT CHANGES WILL WE SEE?

I have no doubt that Pulkkanin makes this team out of training camp, he may even bump himself up to top pp once the Wings realize what kind of outstanding shot he has....AND not only an outstanding shot, but the understanding of how to get open for the one timer. Mantha, after having his work ethic questioned repeatedly will be in tough to make this team. The Wings MAKE players pay their dues, and with his past history, Mantha will have to outright fill the net in the preseason to have a chance at the final 21.

DO ZETTERBERG AND DATSYUK HAVE ANYTHING LEFT?

They have both been steadily declining the past few years.  Datsyuk does seem to be showing signs of being injury prone. Zetts relies an awful lot on the gritty structure of his game, which may indeed start to take it's toll. Let's not forget, Zetts has played in 12 seasons for the Wings, BUT...he has made the playoffs in every season he has been there, and has participated in 132 playoff games, almost 2 more full years to add to his resume....and not just any years, 2 years of all out war that the playoffs feature. This will undoubtedly take it's toll, and very soon I would suspect. I don't think we will ever see another point per game season out of either one of those guys....if we do, 2015 will be the last time.

WHO IS READY TO STEP UP AT THE AHL LEVEL?

It would be some serious fun to watch Larkin surprise everyone and make the Wings out of camp, he has the skill to do so, but he will most likely to be brought along slowly, the Wings creedo. Totally agree with Andres Athanisiou (sp...lol), he could easily be a legit darkhorse to crack this team come Oct. He has speed to burn and I believe Blaishill will covet that, along with other things in his skill set that set him apart....I give him a 40% chance to make the team out of camp.

HOW WILL MIKE GREEN FIT IN?

I honestly believe the Wings are a few years to late to capitalize on Green's offensive prowess. He will be a monumental FLOP and come Dec, he may not dress much.

Archived