Daniel Alfredsson is the reason i wont be doing a greatest Senator topic.

yave1964

mwfCfJLgRlsyMT4KO_TObiA.jpgSome teams such as the Sens, the Jackets and the Predators are so dominated by one player that I am not going to bother to list anyone else.in some cases, such as Edmonton there are half a dozen future HOFers who spent most of their career in one city compiling numbers behind a legend so there is a reason to talk about it. Not so in columbus who had Nash and well, really nobody or  Nashville who is Weber and the seven dwarfs. same in Ottawa.

Dont get me wrong, Spezza deserves his props as a solid player, he is second best all time in Ottawa history by such a ridiculous margin that any poll would really have to be who is the Senators 3rd greatest player. Karlsson in his young career has likely already wrapped up number three. Chris Phillips and Chris Neil spent forever wearing the roman Senator in their jersey but were really unspectacular. Anyone who would list Yashin meFuHMn8zcBkYfC192tamIQ.jpgwould be hung or drawn and quartered in Ottawa.

Daniel Alfredsson simply WAS the Senators and IMHO always will be. Hated with a passion in Toronto as he heated up the Ontario rivalry with his uncalled takedown of Darcy Tucker 

and easy game winner in a playoff game that made him the most hated man in southern Ontario. Then he mocked the Leaf fans a few years later when Leaf Captain sundin was serving a suspensiuon for throwing a broken stick into the stands, Alfie scored a goal and pretended to throw his stick into the stands in toronto leading to lots of stuff coming out onto the ice from irate fans. A hated man in toronto, but deservedly loved in Ottawa.

and in Sweden, he was an Olympic regular and an icon.  Regular season with Ottawa he scored 426 goals as a Sen, nearly double his nearest competitor, and leads the team in scoring all time with 1108 points with a 421 point lead over number two. Number 2 and 3 together barely best his total.

Six all star games, he won the Calder as a rookie, he won the King Clancy award in 2012 as well. He is Mr. Senator, his one year with the Wings i was a little off put, he simply belongs to the Senators and it didnt feel right seeing him wear another sweater.

While I agree that he's the Senators' top guy at this point, I think it's entirely possible that he is eventually passed by Karlsson. Our current captain is, I think, already firmly entrenched in second place right now, and barring disaster, multiple all-star games and Norris trophies still seem to be in his future. Give him several years as captain and a few more trophies, and we're going to have quite a conversation about these two.

Props to Spezza for what he did, but Karlsson is ahead of him in my mind. Karlsson has proven better leadership.

• Spezza deserves some mention.
  • Hossa deserves some mention.
  • Chara deserves some mention.
  • Hash'in is blackballed forever.
  • This bullet point list is awesome.

But Alfredsson is Mr. Ottawa Senators no doubt about it.   :)

The only thing I disagree with you on is how Alfredsson is viewed by Leafs fans. Leafs fans hate the officials for not calling penalties for boarding (Alfredsson), or high sticking (Gretzky). It's the damn officials that suck. Alfredsson just got booed because he was a player of interest and it was fun to boo him.  :cool[1]:

• Spezza deserves some mention.
  • Hossa deserves some mention.
  • Chara deserves some mention.
  • Hash'in is blackballed forever.
  • This bullet point list is awesome.

But Alfredsson is Mr. Ottawa Senators no doubt about it.   :)

The only thing I disagree with you on is how Alfredsson is viewed by Leafs fans. Leafs fans hate the officials for not calling penalties for boarding (Alfredsson), or high sticking (Gretzky). It's the damn officials that suck. Alfredsson just got booed because he was a player of interest and it was fun to boo him.  :cool[1]:

I'm not a guy who enjoys seeing someone get hurt, so I didn't like seeing Tucker get hurt, and certainly don't celebrate it, but as a Sens fan, the play "felt good" as it seemed like Alfredsson kind of vented some of the frustrations we had felt about those playoff matchups with the Leafs. We'd win the regular season series, and never could win a playoff series. On that one night at least, it felt like Alfie gave the Leafs a taste of their own medicine. 

I hope that makes sense...

I'm not a guy who enjoys seeing someone get hurt, so I didn't like seeing Tucker get hurt, and certainly don't celebrate it, but as a Sens fan, the play "felt good" as it seemed like Alfredsson kind of vented some of the frustrations we had felt about those playoff matchups with the Leafs. We'd win the regular season series, and never could win a playoff series. On that one night at least, it felt like Alfie gave the Leafs a taste of their own medicine. 

I hope that makes sense...

Yeah for sure. It looks like Tucker really tried to draw a penalty too by going down like he was shot. During that era, the Leafs didn't seem to get many favourable calls from the refs. :)

Karlsson can be debated as the Senators greatest player. Based on peak play, Karlsson has reached a level no other player in senator history has been able to equal. Karlsson has already accomplished more then Alfredsson at the age of 24. 

Karlsson can be debated as the Senators greatest player. Based on peak play, Karlsson has reached a level no other player in senator history has been able to equal. Karlsson has already accomplished more then Alfredsson at the age of 24. 

An interesting tidbit from teh Twitters box on the home page: http://thehockeywriters.com/is-erik-karlsson-number-one-in-sens-history/

An interesting tidbit from teh Twitters box on the home page: http://thehockeywriters.com/is-erik-karlsson-number-one-in-sens-history/

That's a good link. Alfredsson's long, consistent career has him at #1 right now, no doubt. As a long-time Sens fan, you could all guess how I feel about him even if I never mentioned him. I absolutely love the guy, and I deeply appreciate what he did for my team. However, I'd like to build on what @JagerMeister said. As highly as I think of Alfie, there was never a time that you could say that he was the best in the game at his position. In Karlsson's case you can, and I would. If Karlsson stays on his current trajectory, he's destined for the top spot eventually, and that's saying something.

Body of work. He's got a long way to go before he can eclipse Alfredsson.  :)

Karlsson may have the pure skill to eventually overtake Alfie, but as was stated, he has a long way to go. Spezza was a lazy dog, a talented dog, but a dog nonetheless.....no respect for that guy. Disgusting he is an ex-Spitfire, I want to disown him.

Karlsson may have the pure skill to eventually overtake Alfie, but as was stated, he has a long way to go. Spezza was a lazy dog, a talented dog, but a dog nonetheless.....no respect for that guy. Disgusting he is an ex-Spitfire, I want to disown him.

How do you really feel? Lol

In all seriousness, I thought he did pretty well for us, though he's no Karlsson. I wasn't too thrilled with the way he left, but I'll get over it. It wasn't Yashin bad.

@ScottM  Jason was always a respectable point producer....but the times he was healthy were few and far between. His back was ALWAYS holding him back.....BUT, regardless, he was a dog...played with no heart, never applied himself and always put himself before the team. He never took a hit to maintain possession, was never willing to put himself in harms way to further the teams goals. Very lazy, very gifted.....I would not want any part of this turd.

Archived