Flyers can't convert 2 chances on penalty shots

hf101

920x920.jpg

Lack of emphasis for 1 on 1 play still bites us for another loss.  

Just because the shootout will be emphasized less doesn't mean there isn't a greater need to be able to convert on 1 on 1 plays, and I think we will see these breakaways very often in the new 3 on 3 OT.   So this team better practice the shootout on a daily basis or expect a lot of lost points for a quality effort.

920x920.jpg

Just because the shootout will be emphasized less doesn't mean there isn't a greater need to be able to convert on 1 on 1 plays, and I think we will see these breakaways very often in the new 3 on 3 OT.   So this team better practice the shootout on a daily basis or expect a lot of lost points for a quality effort.

This makes no sense.  They were all over them tonight, good board play one on one.  I'm not going to get too upset with game 1 missing 2 penalty shots.  Especially by a kid who is getting his first real taste of the NHL.  When they play 3 on 3, they need to make sure someone is back and that's what killed them tonight.  Jake didn't go back when Med was up on the play.  This team might be a pleasant surprise this year...maybe.

From what I just saw, this team is no better suited to win games in 3 on 3 than it is to win a shootout. So repeating last year's 18 lost points after the 3rd period could be the well within reach.

Giroux especially has to better one on one with the goalie, for all his skills he gags more often than not

920x920.jpg

Just because the shootout will be emphasized less doesn't mean there isn't a greater need to be able to convert on 1 on 1 plays, and I think we will see these breakaways very often in the new 3 on 3 OT. So this team better practice the shootout on a daily basis or expect a lot of lost points for a quality effort.

Completely agree. I'm not sure swflyers understood what you were saying (that was not an attempt to insult you, SW, but you seemed to be talking about a different type of one on one).

Giroux used to be a slam dunk on any form of a breakaway.

That was back when Lavy was calling him the best player in the world....which was never actually true of course, but at one time in the heat of a great playoff performance it wasn't such an unreasonable statement either. Feels like that was a long time ago

Completely agree. I'm not sure swflyers understood what you were saying (that was not an attempt to insult you, SW, but you seemed to be talking about a different type of one on one).

I thought my point was rather clear.   ;)

The Flyers SUCK at 1 on 1 scoring chances at either end of the ice.

So this team better practice the shootout on a daily basis or expect a lot of lost points for a quality effort.

B-b-b-b-but, when are they going to practice the shootout? At the start of practice? At the end? In the middle? Before or after punch and pie at the "just for showing up" awards ceremony?

It's really hard to figure out when to practice the shootout, so they probably just shouldn't bother.

It's not all that important anyway.

#berubecoaster

:ph34r:

jesus h christ... I thought they really played well last night.  the went toe to toe w/ one of the best teams in the east.  i was impressed and Hak's system was all over this game.  aggressive fore-check and back-check and the defense made some really nice first passes.   

That was back when Lavy was calling him the best player in the world....which was never actually true of course, but at one time in the heat of a great playoff performance it wasn't such an unreasonable statement either. Feels like that was a long time ago

I that two week period, Claude may have been the best player in the world. He hasn't played like that much. Two years ago after he woke up and broke his drought and ended up third in scoring after going o for 7 games or whatever, he was pretty great that year too. Comparable with the best I'd say.

He took a nose dive last year because Chief needed him to do too much.

The lack of breakaway scoring is a major problem for him a ms the whole damn team. This should be fun for them. They should WANT to practice breakaways.

I thought they really played well last night.  

They did i'm happy. I would have been happier with a W...but Coots and Raffl look rusty coming off the injuries...but just to look at that lineup and see NO Mcdud or VLC man it made me smile. And how about RJ best game i seen him play in Philly since 2008!!!

He keeps that up it will be hard for guys like Gagner to get in the lineup. A lot to work with here. The blueline of course could be better but i'm hoping they can just build on this game.

They played for 60 minutes and got a point in the Eastern Conference Champs barn to start the season i'll take it. Matt Read looks back.

I read where NOBODY thought the Flyers would win, and when they give a solid effort and take a point from one of the best teams in the league everybody comes to voice their negativity. 

It's one game and quite frankly they looked really good. There was 60 minutes of hockey which is something I haven't seen from them in ages. 

I read where NOBODY thought the Flyers would win, and when they give a solid effort and take a point from one of the best teams in the league everybody comes to voice their negativity.

You really might want to read the thread again.

So this team better practice the shootout on a daily basis or expect a lot of lost points for a quality effort.

They were all over them tonight, good board play one on one.

I thought they really played well last night

They did i'm happy.

I read where NOBODY thought the Flyers would win

Hey hey  HEY...i was one of the ones and maybe only one who predicted a Flyer win 5-3..........i was wrong but i liked their chances especially on banner night!!!!

have some things to iron out, but could be at least a competitive team this year. 

I agree they played pretty decent after you glance at this blueline on paper...once they get guys like Schultz of the top pair and further down in the lineup it will get better. And i'm not ripping on Schultz he played pretty decent last night but let's be honest he isn't a #2. He is suited as a 5th or 6th guy at best. Eventually.

I honestly never want to see Mcdud ever in a Flyer uniform again.

And i'm not ripping on Schultz he played pretty decent last night but let's be honest he isn't a #2. He is suited as a 5th or 6th guy at best.

yeah, I don't see who or why he's on the top pair. That's just adking for trouble.

I honestly never want to see Mcdud ever in a Flyer uniform again.

B-b-b-b-but he's "an NHL player"

:thumbsu::hocky:

It's really hard to figure out when to practice the shootout, so they probably just shouldn't bother.

no, it is really hard to know *how* to practice the shootout, so they probably just shouldn't bother.

i mean, what is the suggestion here?  that for a half hour everyone lines up and takes solo runs at a goalie?  what is that going to accomplish, other than taking time away from practicing things that can benefit from practice?  there are no fundamentals to a breakaway.  there's no muscle memory to establish, unless each player comes up with his "move" and does that same thing every time, regardless of what the goalie is or isn't giving him.  they could practice between the legs, kick the puck to their backhand kind of stuff, i guess, but are hotdog tricks really something we'd like to see the team spend time perfecting?  it'd be like asking a basketball team to work on their 360-switch-hand-with-a-pump-fake dunks instead of defensive coverage and offensive transition.

and even those don't always work.  giroux played his penalty shot last night perfectly, and completely undressed bishop.  to the point where bishop had no play on the puck at all, and giroux had created a good 2'x4' section of open net.  amazingly, bishop had the presence of mind to realize he was out of the on-puck play, and went at giroux's stick, knocking it off the puck just as he was shooting.  you are never going to practice that away.  it wasn't giroux's poor move or poor decision or poor execution that stopped that shot.  it was a remarkably heads up play by the goalie, plus a bit of luck.

penalty shots are a knack, not a skill.  it is a combination of puck control, creativity, awareness of the goalie's positioning/inertia, and some intangible talent for the 1-on-1 dynamic.  if a rookie sucks at PS's, he is likely to always suck at PS's.  on the other hand, TJ Oshie is not a hugely talented hockey player, but he has enough of the specific knack of working 1-on-1 against a goalie to make him reliable on penalty shots.

beyond the fact that i don't think penalty shots are a thing that can really be improved by repetition, we are going to see way way less of them going forward.  yes, the flyers weirdly had two last night.  i can't find any real numbers, but did they have more than 2 all of last season?  the OT shootout will be a rare occurrence.  so.  we are probably looking at, what, maybe another in-game penalty shot or two for the rest of the season, and maybe 3 or 4 shootouts, tops?  is that worth carving out practice time so guys can work on their slam dunk competition moves?

920x920.jpg

This will fix it!!!!

tumblr_mzyyvgQmFG1sgopr4o1_500.gif

@aziz

Your point has a lot more validity this seaskn thennit did when the Berube quote I'm referencing took place.

I'm saying it might be nice if the first time one is trying a slam dunk competition move (a brilliant indictment of the shootout btw) in recent memory isn't with the game on your stick.

jesus h christ... I thought they really played well last night.  the went toe to toe w/ one of the best teams in the east.  i was impressed and Hak's system was all over this game.  aggressive fore-check and back-check and the defense made some really nice first passes.   

It was better than 99% of the Flyer efforts last season. They played a very up tempo, energetic game. There was no patented Flyer let down, the pressure on the puck was excellent through most of this game.

Dare I say it....this team is on it's way to establishing an identity, something you can hang your hat on....we had no such beast last year.

I agree with whoever said G has to better one on one with the goalie....dip into that creative bag of tricks and dazzle us, don't hold back. Laughton, he has MUCH better moves than that weak attempt, as we will see in the near future, he kinda let the pressure get to him IMHO.

Speaking of Laughton....LOVED his hockey sense...and the fact he was fast enough to REALLY pressure the puck. That Schenn goal, that was ALL Laughts, does not happen without him. GREAT effort, he imposed his will on Tampa on that goal....very promising to see. He was the best Flyer on the ice in that game.

no, it is really hard to know *how* to practice the shootout, so they probably just shouldn't bother.

i mean, what is the suggestion here? that for a half hour everyone lines up and takes solo runs at a goalie? what is that going to accomplish, other than taking time away from practicing things that can benefit from practice? there are no fundamentals to a breakaway. there's no muscle memory to establish, unless each player comes up with his "move" and does that same thing every time, regardless of what the goalie is or isn't giving him. they could practice between the legs, kick the puck to their backhand kind of stuff, i guess, but are hotdog tricks really something we'd like to see the team spend time perfecting? it'd be like asking a basketball team to work on their 360-switch-hand-with-a-pump-fake dunks instead of defensive coverage and offensive transition.

and even those don't always work. giroux played his penalty shot last night perfectly, and completely undressed bishop. to the point where bishop had no play on the puck at all, and giroux had created a good 2'x4' section of open net. amazingly, bishop had the presence of mind to realize he was out of the on-puck play, and went at giroux's stick, knocking it off the puck just as he was shooting. you are never going to practice that away. it wasn't giroux's poor move or poor decision or poor execution that stopped that shot. it was a remarkably heads up play by the goalie, plus a bit of luck.

penalty shots are a knack, not a skill. it is a combination of puck control, creativity, awareness of the goalie's positioning/inertia, and some intangible talent for the 1-on-1 dynamic. if a rookie sucks at PS's, he is likely to always suck at PS's. on the other hand, TJ Oshie is not a hugely talented hockey player, but he has enough of the specific knack of working 1-on-1 against a goalie to make him reliable on penalty shots.

beyond the fact that i don't think penalty shots are a thing that can really be improved by repetition, we are going to see way way less of them going forward. yes, the flyers weirdly had two last night. i can't find any real numbers, but did they have more than 2 all of last season? the OT shootout will be a rare occurrence. so. we are probably looking at, what, maybe another in-game penalty shot or two for the rest of the season, and maybe 3 or 4 shootouts, tops? is that worth carving out practice time so guys can work on their slam dunk competition moves?

Whoa, you're back?! How have you been?

Archived