Game #1 Recap

The Mountain Man

I will try and give a recap of each game I see. You may not agree, because people see different things, but this is what saw.

As always...comments are welcome but lets not berate each other  :)

Edmonton at St.Louis

Final Score - 3 - 1 St.Louis

I thought the game was closer than the score shows (1 empty net goal). The youth of the Oilers really showed. St.Louis looked composed as always.... being a Hitchcock team.

In general, I feel the Oilers D played much better than I have seen in years. I was a little nervous about Reinhart getting a big assignment (top D pair) but he was fine. Griffin and Gryba played big and strong like they should. Klefbom was very solid and made a few nice plays to get the puck out of harms way. The forwards, for the most part, looked a little confused and unorganized. Not many tape to tape passes. Same as the last few years...many good individual plays but you cant do it alone. They just dont play together a whole bunch.

Oilers 3 Stars

1. Cam Talbot - He really kept the Oilers in the game. Played solid the whole game. 2 goals/28 saves

2. Oskar Klefbom - I thought he showed some promise tonight. He could already be their best d-man.

3. Anton Slepyshev - showed heart, was aggresive, skated hard, and really seemed to start to be comfortable by the third period. I think this kid will be pretty good for us.  

Oilers Bum of the game

1. Teddy Purcell - Somebody has to bite the bullit and sit this guy. They have Gazdic, Hendricks, Korpikoski, Letestu and Purcell. They all cant play on the 4th line. Just waive somebody and bring up Draisaitl. Purcell was -3 and was awful in my eyes. I have never liked him so I could be biased.

The St.Louis guys just play the game the correct way. They seem to be in the right spot at all times and if they get beat it was just pure skill. Well coached and well seasoned. Not much spark but they didnt miss many opportunities when it mattered.

McDavid watch - Meh, looked nervous at the start and then once he got his feet under him he didnt seem to be in sinc with the others. It will take some time.

Next up - in Nashville on Saturday Night...

Thanks,

Kev

The Mountain Man

I didn't get to watch this game. 

Purcell had that one good year with the Lightning, but he has pretty much failed since joining the Oilers.   So you think having Draisaitl would fit best as a 3rd line center as opposed to a first line center in the AHL?

Eichel is one up on McDavid if anyone is keeping score.   :P

Thanks for the write -up.

I watched the first two periods, entertaining, the Blues were aggressive. Hitch has stated that in every defensive pairing he plans upon putting an offensive d-man who will pinch in along with the offense and that was certainly the case last night. I have never in my life seen this Parayko kid who the Blues came up with but the kid has a howitzer of a shot, low and accurate. Along with Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo they could form a deadly trio. Hitch promises the best defense is an agressive offense, if they stick to it this could be a great year.

RNH seems afraid of getting hit or something. Twice in the first period I saw him along the wall simply turn the puck over when a defenseman came over towards him. It might be rust but it was pretty ugly.

To me the Oilers didn't look any different than they did last year

That was my view as well but I didn't watch the whole game. STL is good, so they can make teams look bad. Just one game, but if you're the Oilers brass you have to worry about that losing mentality sinking in again. And it doesn't get any easier going into NSH....

Eichel is one up on McDavid if anyone is keeping score.

Oh I'm keeping score alright! ;)  I have Eichel on my Fantasy Team.  Eichel's first goal was a thing of beauty.  Give McDavid a few games to get used to the NHL regular season.

Talbot played well from the few moments of the game I was watching in between intermissions.  Talbot kept them in that game.  Talbot will be a real plus for the Oilers this season.  He will keep them in games.

Purcell had that one good year with the Lightning, but he has pretty much failed since joining the Oilers.   So you think having Draisaitl would fit best as a 3rd line center as opposed to a first line center in the AHL?

I am not an NHL coach...but I think I would bring him up and play him beside mcD and Hall. at least until Eberle is back. Give you a longer look at his progress, gets lots of minutes and has chemestry already with thse guys.

So far (small sample size) Slepyshev would go to 2nd line with RNH and Pouliot. Slep will go in the corners as will Pouliot.) SWitching Slep and Draisaitl may happen as well.

Yak with Lander and Korpikoski ( they will stir it up and have some offensive skills as well)

Hendricks, Letetstu, Klinkhammer, Gazdic, Purcell. To earn ice time these guys should be getting hurt or at least very sore every night. The 3 healthiest get to play. Purcell may not suit this style so wave him or make him change. He doesnt mind hitting already but his offensive skills have gone away.

This was written in the wall of my minor leauge dressing room.

4th Line Creed -  You are the GRIT and HEARTof this team, as important as any other player we have, you are the one that softens them up, gets in the face of every player, disrupts their plans, you are the PEST and you NEVER STOP MOVING your feet. Lets get 1 goal, 4 blocked shots, 4 takeaways, 8 hits, and 2 fights per game from this group EVERY GAME. WE NEED YOU.

Once Eberle is back we should have a better idea of what we have and what we never will. Draisaitl may earn a spot. They may realize he isnt ready again...worth a shot.

It cant get any worse !!

Kev

I only caught a bit of the game. What I was watching most was if the Oilers could play TMac's system, McDavid and Talbot.

TMac's system is going to take some work for these kids. A few seemed contact shy. And they were out of synch. Reminded me of any game with TMac coaching the Sharks with the lead in the 3rd period.

McDavid. One thing about him caught my attention most. His jets. MAN can that kid skate. At one point, I was thinking, wow he is pretty fast, then he actually turned it on higher and blazed. Give it some time.

Talbot looked solid from when I was watching.

So right...he can just FLY !!!

Already MvDavid does things a light speed that most NHLers cant do slowly.....there are many highlights on the way !

His first goal against Dallas was pretty cool. I feel bad for him and the Oilers as they have a tough schedule this month. I'm expecting McDavid to have at least 1 point in the two Calgary games and hopefully a goal against the Kings.

So right...he can just FLY !!!

Already MvDavid does things a light speed that most NHLers cant do slowly.....there are many highlights on the way !

This game against Calgary was awesome for McDavid. It was also great for the rest of the team but McDavid was great. He had 2 goals and 1 assist, now with 4 points on the year. He had a play in the 3rd period that was simply amazing but Hiller made a great save and so McDavid didn't score. Yakupov had 1 goal and 1 assist, Hall had 2 assists and also scoring a goal. Nuge had 1 goal. Our defenders did well with Klefbom, Sekera and Gryba all getting assists. The whole squad overall looked pretty solid.

And just like that McDavid has double the points Eichel has...if anyone is keeping score.  :D

Oilers 5 goals ALL scored by 1st overall picks last night...RNH, Yakupov, Hall and McDavid with 2.

McDavid should have had the hattie...

Archived