2015-16 Anaheim Ducks Season

2nd String Champ

850x315_FacebookDUCKS_brandV5.jpg

In a word, ouch! No goals, only 3 shots in the third period while the Sharks had 17 in the frame. We were outhit, out shot 44 - 27, they took the puck away from us a lot. We were back on out heels in the third period like we were trying to stop a horse from pulling us over a cliff. In the first end though, it was nearly half a period before the Sharks got their first shot on net and they still out shot us 13 - 9.

Let's chalk this up to day one jitters of a looong season.

Andersen had a .955 save percentage though on 44 shots. That's a great stat and he had a great night.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a word, ouch! No goals, only 3 shots in the third period while the Sharks had 17 in the frame. We were outhit, out shot 44 - 27, they took the puck away from us a lot. We were back on out heels in the third period like we were trying to stop a horse from pulling us over a cliff. In the first end though, it was nearly half a period before the Sharks got their first shot on net and they still out shot us 13 - 9.

Let's chalk this up to day one jitters of a looong season.

Andersen had a .955 save percentage though on 44 shots. That's a great stat and he had a great night.

Nah. Sharks just have the ducks number the past few years.

Nah. Sharks just have the ducks number the past few years.

Well who is going to admit that.... except for Sharks fans?  Nah... you are mistaken sir. It was the first game of the season.... They had dicey looking bean burritos for lunch and they agreed in the team meeting that they would like to win the the Presidents' trophy from an under dog position.

GAME 2  Van vs Ana

A better performance than the season opener. Lots of pace in the first period from both teams. The Ducks had their shot numbers up a little and out shot Van 29-25. {9 shots in each period}.

Sami Vatanen had a great game and opened up the scoring for the Ducks this season with a blast from the blue line. Miller went down and the the left and the puck went to his right, he was totally screened.

Sami was +1, blocked a few shots, had a few hits and was rock solid all game.

Frederick Andersen stopped 24 of 25 shots for a .960% The regulation goal he let in was from a wickedly sharp angle that squeezed itself passed him. It somehow bounced in after hitting the outside of his shoulder. I think the puck got wrapped up in his jersey {shoulder} and was sort of stopped for an instant, then fell in behind him, it was an odd one for sure.

No penalty trouble, a fighting and 2 minors.

We need to get more shots on net if we are going to get rebounds, add pressure, panic goalies and do all that grinding in front of the net. There's goals in them thar creases!

Overtime 3 on 3:

The Ducks were shaky in the first 2 mins and even after getting a 4th man from a Van penalty, they didn't really do much. it was chaos mostly when we had the puck but Van looked much sharper even down a man on their PK. Andersen made a great save with only a few seconds to go.

Shootout:

Andersen made a solid stop on the first shott. Slifverburg scored with a wrister.

Andersen somehow had the puck go through his pads. Rickard Rakell misses on his back hand.

Andersen let a little snap shot through the 5 hole. Perry got poke checked by Miller and that was that.

Van 2 Ana 1

Game 3 Ari vs Ana

Wow, what a bad period for the Ducks. 11 - 10 shots in their favor but allowed 3 Coyotes goals. Khudobin got the start because "he looked good in the pre season" - Bruce Boudreau. So now we look to go 0 - 3 to start the season when Andersen was really playing well in games 1 and 2. Yikes!  Anyhow. Khudobin was pulled after giving the 3 goals on 8 shots. Andersen was good and should have started the game. We were taking more shots than previous games but all from the boards, bad angles, blue line, neutral zone etc... just not quality shots. We didn't test the Yotes goalie {Smith} once in the first.

The Ducks were taking better shots in the 2nd, Kessler was 11 for 12 in the faceoffs at one point. Max Domi had a breakaway and Andersen made a great blocker save to keep the Ducks alive. There was a lot more crease presence but the Ducks in the 2nd, hacking and slashing so to speak, for that first goal. Soon after this positive play but the Ducks. Kessle butt ends some Yote who made a little slash on him and the Yotes pocket another ball. 4 zip. Then after that goal {on a delayed penalty from Kessle}, Perry gets stupid and wants to spend 2 mins in the box for roughing. In the last 25 seconds of the 2nd period. A Yote climbed on the back of Andersen and the puck went is but was waived off.

Not much to say about the Ducks in the 3rd. A couple of chances, none taken. 8 mins into the 3rd, Ducks are out shot again 6 - 3... a high school team would give the Yotes the same challenge tonight. Penalty trouble late in the game, dumb ones too. Elbowing, roughing, slashing etc. Andersen did play well. The goal he let in was a great, fast release from in close by Duclair for his hat trick.

In the final minute of play the Ducks heard boos from the crowd a few times. Andersen had a .952% and stopped 20 of 21 shots. We were 0 and 3 on the PP. The Yotes were 1 for 6 on the PP's they had. We blocked twice as many shots as they did, had more hits, out shot them 37 - 29 {although a dozen of our shots were from 3 miles away} and it was just a mess from start to finish again. At least Andersen had another great game and SHOULD have started. Why remove the one piece of the puzzle that works?

Desert Dogs feast on Duck.

Ari 4 Ana 0

@teenagemutantninjahertl@2nd String Champ

Crazy enough, I dropped Lucic to pick up this Duclair kid. Him and Domi are oozing chemistry already. Probably a short term add, but Lucic was doing absolutely NOTHING,, and Duclair slots in at LW and RW, so a stop gap measure at least.

Once Backstrom is off IR, I can trade a C for a more reliable winger. All my C's are off to hot starts. At least offensively.

Plekanec, Turris, and Johansen(But johansen slots in at LW too, so ill keep him). Backstrom, Plekanec and Turris are all pure C's, so I will not be able to keep icing them all.

Hilariously, RNH just got dropped in this league too

@teenagemutantninjahertl@2nd String Champ

Crazy enough, I dropped Lucic to pick up this Duclair kid. Him and Domi are oozing chemistry already. Probably a short term add, but Lucic was doing absolutely NOTHING,, and Duclair slots in at LW and RW, so a stop gap measure at least.

Once Backstrom is off IR, I can trade a C for a more reliable winger. All my C's are off to hot starts. At least offensively.

Plekanec, Turris, and Johansen(But johansen slots in at LW too, so ill keep him). Backstrom, Plekanec and Turris are all pure C's, so I will not be able to keep icing them all.

Hilariously, RNH just got dropped in this league too

I don't suppose you actually play hockey?... Maybe you know.... I pay for your ticket to Anaheim.... you score some goals, get some money, some fame.... it could be nice for you! Maybe if you aren't the goal scoring kind..... instead you get old and stupid and take Bruce Boudreau's job as head coach?

Heck, just show them your picks for your league and take over as GM?

Game 4 Col vs Ana

Where to start? 53 seconds in, a quick, screened shot from the point beats Andersen, he looked a bit lost on the shot, like he didn't know where the puck was. 7 minutes into the first we were ahead on shots 9 - 4 and had 15 shots in the 1st period. Berra played very well for Col, he was all over the place and always on the money. We had chances that just weren't taken  A couple of penalties for both teams in the first, nothing came of them. Hits and face offs were dead even, same with the takeaways. Our defense looked soo weak at times. A forward should never be able to get through 3 Ducks. It just shouldn't happen.

A few mins into the 2nd we were still ahead on shots, 15 - 8. 8 minutes into the 2nd, a one-timer that was deflected by Jackman's stick goes through Andersen for a 2 - 0 lead for the Ave's. There were good scrambles in front of Berra throughout the game for the Ducks but just nothing was getting through. Getzlaf had chances and just couldn't make them work. Simon Despres was injured after Tyson Barrie left his feet to hit him in the corner.

5 mins into the 3rd we were still ahead on shots 27 - 21 but only managed 11 shots in the final period. There were times where we dug and scraped for pucks, there were scrums in front of Berra but still, just no Duck could score. Our shot quality was poor, only in front of the net did we have a chance to score. We had 2 PP's in the 3rd and nothing was done. After that, an empty netter was scored.

Bruce Boudreau was running his mouth and putting wicked spin on the train wreck of a season so far. It was hard to hear such nonsense.

Andersen only had 22 saves on the night for a .917 save percentage.

Bieksa had 3 hits and 4 blocked shots.

0/5 on the PP with only 4 shots.

We had 35 shots to the Ave's 25.

Colorado blocked a stunning 41 of our shots.

We only managed 20 hits, at home, losing from the start of the game. It just isn't right!

It did look like there were a few cheap shots on the Ducks but no one really did anything about it. Lack luster and just over all play cost us this game.

Ave's snowed us in.

Col 3 - Ana 0

Oof, I would not want to be in the Ducks locker room with Boudreau right now. Lack of intensity from the remade forward lines.

I think a lot of it is the addition of so many forwards that they have to gel which takes time. In the meantime Boudreau is probably sneaking up on that spot as a coach in trouble, behind Richards in Columbus but gaining. Fair? Probably not, but that is the way the game works. Rip off four in a row though and all will be forgiven and forgotten.

Oof, I would not want to be in the Ducks locker room with Boudreau right now. Lack of intensity from the remade forward lines.

I think a lot of it is the addition of so many forwards that they have to gel which takes time. In the meantime Boudreau is probably sneaking up on that spot as a coach in trouble, behind Richards in Columbus but gaining. Fair? Probably not, but that is the way the game works. Rip off four in a row though and all will be forgiven and forgotten.

I'm not the biggest Bruce Boudreau fan but he has done wonders in the past. I know some Duck fans have called for his head at times but I don't think he deserves to be gone. Is there anyone behind him in the coaching staff that can do a better job long-term? I dunno.

Game 5    Min vs Ana

Khudobin gets the start... {not the smartest move in my books} Dubnyk is in goal For Minnesota.

A bit flat to start the game, the Wild are blocking shots and are aggressive when we have the puck. They are really pushing the Ducks hard. 6 mins in Ducks go on the PP, nothing happens. 0 / 12 on the PP this season. 10 Mins in the Ducks open the scoring with a shot from the blue line, it looked tipped but Cam Fowler got credit. 3 mins later the Wild score the equalizer. Then with 4 mins to go Rakell tips in the 2nd for Anaheim! The Wild have been out playing the Ducks but the ducks pile on the pressure in the last minute of the 1st and have played better in the last 10 mins than the first 10 mins. In the last couple of minutes, the Ducks are piling on the pressure.

Shots are 9 - 6 in the first for us, a 1/3 of them came in the last couple of minutes.

Face offs, 12 -8 for us.

Body checks were even at 9 each.
The Wild had a few good take aways from us but in the last several mins they stated giving the puck away, 4 or 5 times at least.
Horcoff only had a couple of mins of ice time.
Khudobin made a couple of very nice saves in the 1st.

On out PP we didn't even get a shot on goal.

Minnesota started the 2nd fast, just like the first. They had a great scoring chance right away but Khudobin made a nice save.The Wild have owned the first 2 mins of the 2nd period for sure. The Wild pile on more pressure and after 9 mins are ahead on shots 6 -2 for the period. Horcoff got 2 mins in the box for Interference, no goals were scored even through we were poor on the PK. With 6 mins to go in the 2nd, the Wild were out shooting us 11 - 2. Our only 2 hots came in the 4th minute. ..... that is awful! On;y 4 blocked shots for each team so far after 36 minutes of play. Out 3rd shot of the period came at the 16th minute. This can't go on for too much longer. it's just the Wild overwhelming us on nearly every spot on the ice. The 3rd period might be an explosion of Wild goals if this keeps up. The Wild are finishing this period strong... still!

Shots 19 - 12 for the Wild
Hits 18 - 15 Ducks
Face offs 23 - 18 Ducks
giveaways, takeaways and blocked shots are even.
I have to keep checking the score, I can't believe we are ahead 2 - 1.

The 3rd starts with the Ducks skating hard and they get the 2nd and 3rd shots of the period in the 2nd minute. The Wild should have had a holding penalty but the call isn't made. Getzlaf had a golden chance to score right after that and nothing came of it. Rakell had a great chance in close and didn't do much. The Ducks go on the PP 5 mins into the 3rd. The wild take advantage of OUR PP and get a decent shot on net and then have the offensive zone face off. GRRRR! W can't get the puck off of the boards, we can't set up, it looks like we are on the PK instead of the Wild. We just can't do ANYTHING with the man advantage. 9 minutes in we get our 3rd goal, Dubnyk looked like he was pushed by Santorelli as he tipped in Horcoff's shot from the point. The goal stands, as the contact was minimal. We have 9 shots to the Wild's 4 in this period. The Wild are pressing hard and are very close to scoring! Zucker and Koivu are really playing very well for the Wild tonight. They have been skating hard all game, digging and forechecking us like mad. They should be winning by a goal or two really. The Ducks are dumping the puck down to the Wild end, just to get some breathing room. They aren't playing well still, even leading 3 - 1 somehow. With 4 mins to go, we can't clear our own zone and the Wild are shooting and attacking from everywhere. with 2:30 remaining, we are outshot 34 - 21.

The wild hit the post 3 times, including a buzzer beater in the 3rd period.

The Wild had twice as many chances to score for sure.

The Wild had 12 straight shots, the Ducks haven't had one for the last 9 minutes, until a back hander from behind the red line went in the empty net.

We stole a win... at home tonight!

Wild out shoot us 35 - 22. < 22 shots??? That's a crime Anaheim!!!

Ducks dazzle the Wild with BS to get their first win of the season.

Min 1 - Ana 4

@2nd String Champ    This is a very cool thing you are doing. A great information source for those of us playing fantasy hockey, or just wanting to read up on their situation. I miss a lot of Ducks games because of the time difference from the East Coast, so your reports come in very handy.

I have a question....how has Silferberg looked to start the year, he's obviously not filling the net, like many other Ducks....but is he getting quality scoring chances? I assume he is playing the Kesler most of the time on the 2nd line. Is he skating as well as he was during the playoffs? There was times in last years playoffs that he looked like a quick rising star.

I think it was pretty smart of the Ducks for letting go of Devante Pelly-Smith and getting something for him. It became obvious that the once high draft pick was nothing more than a physical bottom six checker....the offense just never came, and I'm betting it never does.

Assuming no trades are made, who do you think will be the Ducks starting goalie 2-3 years from now?

@2nd String Champ    This is a very cool thing you are doing. A great information source for those of us playing fantasy hockey, or just wanting to read up on their situation. I miss a lot of Ducks games because of the time difference from the East Coast, so your reports come in very handy.

I have a question....how has Silferberg looked to start the year, he's obviously not filling the net, like many other Ducks....but is he getting quality scoring chances? I assume he is playing the Kesler most of the time on the 2nd line. Is he skating as well as he was during the playoffs? There was times in last years playoffs that he looked like a quick rising star.

I think it was pretty smart of the Ducks for letting go of Devante Pelly-Smith and getting something for him. It became obvious that the once high draft pick was nothing more than a physical bottom six checker....the offense just never came, and I'm betting it never does.

Assuming no trades are made, who do you think will be the Ducks starting goalie 2-3 years from now?

Well mostly I am jamming this together as the game goes on at 11:30 pm - 2:30 am so I doubt it's the best it could be.

Silfverburg has been a shining star at times, then he goes quiet. Of course if the team can somehow string 10 minutes of NHL hockey together, he would do a lot more. He is in the top 5 work horses for me so far but he is also a -4 with no points. He will score goals when the Ducks play at their level.

Kesler, Cogliano and Silfverberg were lined up tonight as I recall, on the 2nd line. {I don't pay a lot of attention to lines really}

He is fast and gets an edge on many a player with and without the puck. He is back from that injury and looks great.

I hope Andersen is out back up for the next several years and we get a great, world class starter. I have no idea who the starter will be, I assume Andersen but I doubt he can carry the team like a Carey Price can carry Montreal etc. He just isn't good enough all around.

@2nd String Champ

Thanks for the regular write ups on your boys, one of the most entertaining teams in the league.

I was surprised by Khubodin getting the start in net but that is Boudreau all over, he seems to have absolutely ZERO faith in Anderssen in spite of a remarkable record last year. Even last year Boudreau did his damnedest to hand the job to Gibson or anyone besides Anderssen which makes no sense to me. He has a long history of overthinking, especially with his tenders. I love him as a coach in many ways, his teams take on his feisty mean as hell attitude and are fun to watch but he is gonna ruin Anderssen.

**Grumble, grumble....**

Ducks got away with one.... *grumble, grumble*

True story. Sooo true!

@2nd String Champ

Thanks for the regular write ups on your boys, one of the most entertaining teams in the league.

I was surprised by Khubodin getting the start in net but that is Boudreau all over, he seems to have absolutely ZERO faith in Anderssen in spite of a remarkable record last year. Even last year Boudreau did his damnedest to hand the job to Gibson or anyone besides Anderssen which makes no sense to me. He has a long history of overthinking, especially with his tenders. I love him as a coach in many ways, his teams take on his feisty mean as hell attitude and are fun to watch but he is gonna ruin Anderssen.

You're right on the money. Andersen doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves. I doubt he is the right man for the job still.

@2nd String Champ

Great post. I see it the same way, it seems as if Boudreau sees the Ducks winning "in spite" of Anderssen, but in reality, he has been very consistant and rarely gets his doors blown off. Anderssen is not part of the problem, he is part of the solution.

Overall, Bruce is a good coach, but he has some very quirky tendencies, his goalie situation being front and center of the quirkiness.

Game 6  Ana vs Nsh

Anton Khudobin started in net for the Ducks.... so heeeeere we go!

Early in the first period the Ducks held the Preds to just one shot in the first 7 minutes. There was a lot of back and forth but not a lot of chances for either team. We looked strong and I thought we had a chance to win tonight. 10 minutes in, we only had 4 shots, they had 3 shots. A couple of our 10 first period shot were quite pathetic. We missed the net from in close a couple of times too. It was clear that it would be "another one of those nights" but to be fair the Ducks skated hard and were trying to setup plays all period, just nothing came of it.

We had 1 PP and the Preds had 2, no goals were scored. We seemed to be shooting a lot of wrist shots in the first period. No big booming slap shots, not a lot of rebounds or second chances. Lindholm took an interference penalty but it looked like a very bad call. It was a decent period for the Ducks on the road vs. a good team. Holding them to only 6 shots was great. Khudobin looked shaky... or should I say Khudobin looked like Khudobin.

To start the 2nd, the Preds were more aggressive and took it to us in the opening minutes. They nearly scored a minute in, and 4 mins in, Chris Stewart gave up in the neutral zone and coasted on his skates hoping that a diving slash at the puck from Fowler would clear our blue line but it didn't and then of course he was late to break up the 2 on 1 and we were scored on. 40 seconds later Perry standing in the Preds crease gets a feed from behind the net and is stoned. A few mins later Getslaf gets a hooking penalty and just after it expires, the Preds have a tic-tac-toe passing play and score again. So not on the PP officially but they scored because of the PP really. Just a few mins later, we were being out shot 16 -13 and the pressure from the Preds continued. With 3 minutes to go, what should have been an icing call against the Preds wasn't called because Bieksa took a slow and very wide line to the puck and was beaten to it! Aaaaand... they scored. Khudobin looked a little put off by the non call and perhaps a couple of Ducks weren't skating hard because they thought the whistle would blow but it was a ghost town in our end for a few seconds before the goal was scored. A Pred got to the puck first, then a Duck got on him. Then another Pred went in front of our net like there were NO OTHER PLAYERS ON THE ICE AT ALL! Then a Duck half covered him. Then another Pred was wide open etc... Just an ugly game of "catch up" really. Then the ugly, super tight angle shot from only 3 feet from the side boards and 3 feet in front of the red line.... it some how went in. Of course it did! "Khudobin" in Kazakh must mean "Could'OBeen", because any shot could have been a goal.

Ekholm scored on us 3 mins into the 3rd. just a normal everyday pass went by 2 Ducks, neither of them outstretched to stop it or anything.... now Ekholm has a step on both of them and Khudobin gets beat by a half a slap shot from the point, stick side. Thanks for coming out to collect your pay cheque Khudobin, now go AWAY! 7 mins into the 3rd, a couple of Ducks are STANDING in the corner of their own end and ANYONE in a midnight, beer league could have taken the puck from them but instead it was a Pred and 2 seconds later a wicked one-timer was blasted on net from the point. Our defense just gave in at points in the 3rd period. Just dreadful to see. Then about a minute later.... the puck bounces about 5 feet in front of Khudobin and other than one of the three ducks right there trying to clear it, it took the only Pred even close to it, to blast it on net. Cardboard cut outs would have been as good as out defense in the 3rd period. At that point were were out shot 27 - 19.

We scored with 8 mins to go in the 3rd, only because the puck bounced off of a couple of skates, no one knew where it was until it landed on a Ducks' stick. and a quick shot got us on the board. It would have been an easy shut out of not for that deflected/ bouncing puck. Jiri Sekac got credit for the goal. With just a couple of mins to go, we looked like a bunch of high schoolers as the Preds passed through our players in our own end to score yet again.

Shots 29 - 28 for the Preds

We out face-offed them 35 - 26

Hits were even

PP 1/5 for each team

We did a lot better tonight with not giving the puck away, only 3 vs NSH's 7

We only blocked 12 shots.

Khudobin had a .828 save%

Rinne had a .964%

Getzlaf was a -1 with 5 shots and had 2 penalties.

Bieksa was a -4 with 1 shot on net.

Kesler was a -1 and couldn't even get a shot on net. That 7 million a year he gets for the next 7 years should go to to building a giant golden statue of Dig 'Em the Sugar Smacks frog. At least then we would have something that shines from time to time.  

https://youtu.be/mu6Jla3vwWo?t=10s

Ducks waddle to and fro.

Nsh 5 - Ana 1

Archived