Robin Lehner Down

TropicalFruitGirl26

Robin-Lehner-Buffalo-Sabres-featured--64

From NHL.com:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=782561

Basically, high ankle sprain, out 6-10 weeks.

Looks like Chad Johnson will be getting a real long look in goal....unless Buffalo can come up with an alternative.

Any teams looking to unload a goalie can likely expect a call from the Sabres should they feel Johnson isn't the answer for them for duration of Lehner's injury.

Having said that, Chad Johnson didn't look so bad replacing the starter against the Sens and in his game against the Lightning.

Still though, that's just a game and a half....much different beast than going out there on a regular basis and keeping teams at bay while your skaters sort themselves and try to stay competitive.

Sabres are gonna have some interesting decisions to make.

They just may like Johnson enough so that even if Lehner gets back and healthy, they may wanna stick with Chad.

We will see what happens, but an auspicious start for Buffalo who were looking to have a respectable season and something to build on after the fiascos of the last couple campaigns.

I imagine the pressure of "hey get in there for this game and let's see what you can do" is about a million times better than "ok, the season has started, you're all we have for 2 months, don't let us down!"

It doesn't take much to lose your confidence when you know you're not the best and everyone is staring at you.

Lehner is frankly lousy when healthy.

Johnson will be enough for now, but they'll need to figure something out long term if they want to be taken seriously.

Really. Lehner is a warm, then cold, then warm, then hot, then cold, cold, warm kind of goalie in my eyes.

If Johnson isn't up to the task and Buffalo doesn't do well in these first 2 months, I think that will set them back to where they were last year. Just a feeling.

This has always been one of Lehner's problems. The guy just can't stay healthy. I always hate to see a player like that, because I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but it's a fact of life with him. If you'll recall, it was a Lehner injury that gave Hammond his chance. That probably won't happen with Johnson, but Lehner will be looking over his shoulder, no doubt. The Sabres really didn't come out well in that trade. As a Sens fan, though, I love it.

Really. Lehner is a warm, then cold, then warm, then hot, then cold, cold, warm kind of goalie in my eyes.

If Johnson isn't up to the task and Buffalo doesn't do well in these first 2 months, I think that will set them back to where they were last year. Just a feeling.

There's virtually no "hot" with Lehner and a lot of "cold." He was great in 12 games in 2012-13, and that made many -- myself included -- get ahead of themselves. He has talent, but he just doesn't put out. He's gotten progressively worse over the last two years, and that's coming from someone who watched him much more closely than most. The Sabres will rue the day they traded for him.

Obviously, Lehner has his doubters...

So do you think Chad Johnson will get his big chance to be "the guy"?

I always looked at Johnson as a career backup type....but who knows, maybe he can pull a 'late bloomer' and take the reigns here and play well in a contract year.

He will certainly have his work cut out for him though backstopping this Sabres defense.

Minnesota Wild have three goalies, though not sure Backstrom would waive anything to go to Buffalo........the Lightning have some goalie depth, though admittedly, it's mostly younger guys in the minors not quite ready for the big time....maybe St. Louis will part with Elliot finally?

Maybe Ray Emery gets another shot (doubt it) after failing to stick with the Bolts in pre-season?

Maybe Ilya Bryzgalov gets called back to NHL duty....... ;)

I don't think Johnson is the guy. Not even on the Sabres.

But I honestly don't think he's a drop off from Lehner. The frustrating thing about Lehner is that he has much more natural ability than Johnson. But I don't think there's much of a drop off on results.

Johnson may actually prove to be more consistent. But the Sabres ultimately need another answer.

This has always been one of Lehner's problems. The guy just can't stay healthy. I always hate to see a player like that, because I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but it's a fact of life with him. If you'll recall, it was a Lehner injury that gave Hammond his chance. That probably won't happen with Johnson, but Lehner will be looking over his shoulder, no doubt. The Sabres really didn't come out well in that trade. As a Sens fan, though, I love it.

There's virtually no "hot" with Lehner and a lot of "cold." He was great in 12 games in 2012-13, and that made many -- myself included -- get ahead of themselves. He has talent, but he just doesn't put out. He's gotten progressively worse over the last two years, and that's coming from someone who watched him much more closely than most. The Sabres will rue the day they traded for him.

He isn't a starting goalie and may never take a team to the playoffs as a starting goalie. I wouldn't want him. I watched Ottawa closely for a few years and he is shaky.

I can't see Bryzgalov in BUF. He won't be a Ben Scrivens type of goalie.

Speaking of Scrivens...he is buried in the minors with Edmonton.....what about a Scrivens debut for Buffalo?

Honestly, since the Sabres aren't gonna contend this season, its not like Buffalo needs a Stanley Cup caliber guy in net, but they DO need some sort of reason for the skaters to at least THINK they can win on any given night.

That's why I think Chad Johnson will be ok for now, but eventually he may not be.

Goaltending was, even before Lehner's injury, a big question mark heading into the season, and will continue to be throughout.

Barring the Sabres finding their version of Andrew Hammond or Devan Dubnyk, that part of their game is simply going to be a sore spot.

Then again, even Hammond and Dubnyk were able to do what they did because they had reasonably apt offenses and / or defenses in front of them.

That part too, has yet to be proven in Buffalo despite their on-paper improvements.

Speaking of Scrivens...he is buried in the minors with Edmonton.....what about a Scrivens debut for Buffalo?

Honestly, since the Sabres aren't gonna contend this season, its not like Buffalo needs a Stanley Cup caliber guy in net, but they DO need some sort of reason for the skaters to at least THINK they can win on any given night.

That's why I think Chad Johnson will be ok for now, but eventually he may not be.

Goaltending was, even before Lehner's injury, a big question mark heading into the season, and will continue to be throughout.

Barring the Sabres finding their version of Andrew Hammond or Devan Dubnyk, that part of their game is simply going to be a sore spot.

Then again, even Hammond and Dubnyk were able to do what they did because they had reasonably apt offenses and / or defenses in front of them.

That part too, has yet to be proven in Buffalo despite their on-paper improvements.

Does Buffalo really need that embarrassment? I would rather be spanked by my grandmother on live tv than have the Scrivvy Scrivens join my organization.

They need a starting goalie and don't have one. That's as simple as it can be. I don't know who is available, let alone anyone half decent.

This injury to Robin is actually a God send to the Sabres. First off, I believe the back up Chad Johnson is the better goalie of the two, AND the kid Linus Ullmark the big 6'4 prospect can now get his feet wet on the easy part of back to backs. A win-win in my books.

This injury to Robin is actually a God send to the Sabres. First off, I believe the back up Chad Johnson is the better goalie of the two, AND the kid Linus Ullmark the big 6'4 prospect can now get his feet wet on the easy part of back to backs. A win-win in my books.

All of this.

@TropicalFruitGirl26   Hmmm, nice article and not mention of Linus either, but I had seen him being listed as 3rd in the depth chart on a few sites.

If I was Buffalo, I'd be REAL interested in Tokarski. He could really be their goalie of the future. Plus, an added bonus, he has playoff experience due to a Price injury during last years playoffs. Dustin is obviously blocked by Price, so the Habs may just be inclined to trade him, if the return was offense (which they really, really need) . Question is, would they really trade their top goalie prospect within the division?  That is the kinda move that can really hurt if the right things transpire.

@TropicalFruitGirl26   Hmmm, nice article and not mention of Linus either, but I had seen him being listed as 3rd in the depth chart on a few sites.

If I was Buffalo, I'd be REAL interested in Tokarski. He could really be their goalie of the future. Plus, an added bonus, he has playoff experience due to a Price injury during last years playoffs. Dustin is obviously blocked by Price, so the Habs may just be inclined to trade him, if the return was offense (which they really, really need) . Question is, would they really trade their top goalie prospect within the division?  That is the kinda move that can really hurt if the right things transpire.

ohhh that could sting like no one's business!  Send him to the far corners of the league!

I cannot believe he is gone. He is the best. No question about it. THE BEST. Ah. Miller

Best? I think he's good but not great. He is a decent fit where he is... on a decent team. I don't think he's good enough to take anyone to the Cup finals. If it wasn't for a very odd "puck in the shoulder fabric of a jersey", the Ducks would have won tonight. Slow the footage down at 3:30

How did that ever go in?

Minnesota Wild have three goalies, though not sure Backstrom would waive anything to go to Buffalo

This is what popped into my head right away. Niklas Backstrom is 37 years old he would be crazy not to waive a move to Buffalo because he is just going to be sitting on the Wild bench or be a healthy scratch for just about every game. If he ever wants to play again he should definitely give this move(if it even comes up) a try.

This is what popped into my head right away. Niklas Backstrom is 37 years old he would be crazy not to waive a move to Buffalo because he is just going to be sitting on the Wild bench or be a healthy scratch for just about every game. If he ever wants to play again he should definitely give this move(if it even comes up) a try.

That is actually not a crazy idea.

I agree. Last year during the goalie hunt, I was terrified we would ger Lehner. Imagine my delight when we got jones!

He took us to two Eastern finals and a Presidents Trophy and would have won the Cup in 06 if not for 4 starting D men going down at the worst of times vs a Carolina team in game 7 that we would have buried if we had even Tallinder for that game.  Look what he did to Anaheim last night.   He won that game.  Miller won it

He took us to two Eastern finals and a Presidents Trophy and would have won the Cup in 06 if not for 4 starting D men going down at the worst of times vs a Carolina team in game 7 that we would have buried if we had even Tallinder for that game.  Look what he did to Anaheim last night.   He won that game.  Miller won it

10 years ago he could have won the cup? A decade ago? I'm not talking about the distant past. Miller is a good goalie but not the best at all. He played well lately, that still doesn't make him the best. Any goalie can get hot, or consistent but it still doesn't make them the "best".

Archived