First Coach to be Fired in the 2015 - 16 Season

hf101

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the First Coach Fired in 2015-16?

• Claude Julien
    • Ken Hitchcock
    • Michel Therrian
    • Jack Capunao
    • Patrick Roy
    • Darryl Sutter
    • Mike Johnston
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Todd Richards

So who will be the first coach to receive pink slip this season?  

Did I miss anyone deserving of votes?

I had to go with Clod. I don't think Joe will fire his friend Roy....he maybe afraid he will whip his arse!!!!

No Hakstol?

I really have no idea among the list. I would cheer for it to be Therrien (because I can't stand him) or Ruff (for similar but lesser reason).

I went with D. Sutter just because I had to pick one.

The Bruins have been struggling for two season, and while management hasn't helped the cause, the product on the ice looks terrible. 

I think Ken Hitchcock is the second coach on the list, because I think he is on the shortest leash. He only came back because the Blues couldn't hire anyone else in the offseason. I think that management has lost their faith in Hitch, and if he isn't fired in the season, he won't come back next year.

You could make the case for Darryl Sutter as the third coach fired. The players in LA clash with him, and if they struggle, he might be shown the door.

Penguins coach Mike Johnston might also be fired for the lack of offensive production. You have to image a team with three superstar forwards would put the puck in the net a lot more than they have. If the offense doesn't pick up, the seat might get hot for Johnston.

My vote goes to the Boston Bruins coach Claude Julien if they continue to suck. Every team doesn't like losing, but the Boston area seems to take losing to another level.

I remember there being rumors about Julien getting fired all the way back to the year they won the Cup.

I remember there being rumors about Julien getting fired all the way back to the year they won the Cup.

In my opinion any owner or GM thinking of firing a coach just after less than 5 games into the season is ridiculous. That's like saying let's send Bobrovsky or Mason back to the minors so they can work on their game because they are struggling up here.

In my opinion any owner or GM thinking of firing a coach just after less than 5 games into the season is ridiculous. That's like saying let's send Bobrovsky or Mason back to the minors so they can work on their game because they are struggling up here.

The Flyers fired Peter Laviolette after an 0-3-0 start.  just saying...   ;)

I"m going with Roy will be the first coach fired.  

The Aves are generally toast without strong play by Varlamov.  They are a mess.

look at his statement...  “Tonight, I saw things where we were out of control. It was chaos in our own zone. We just couldn’t focus. If you watch the video, we had guys changing on (one) goal while the play was coming in our end. It’s unacceptable. We can’t play like this. If we want to make the playoffs, this is not the type of performance we need.”

"we had guys changing on (one) goal while the play was coming in our end"  -- isn't that on him calling for the line changes? 

Oh it can be done and probably has in every major sport around. I just don't think less than 5 games is enough time to determine how a team will turn out and how a coaches methods are effecting the teams play.

@hf101   You were doubling down on her point, right?  #homercoasterTM-@radoran

@Unleashed Fury      Holmgren (a ridiculous GM) firing Laviolette 3 games into the season just proves how ridiculous it is.   Well said.

Oh it can be done and probably has in every major sport around. I just don't think less than 5 games is enough time to determine how a team will turn out and how a coaches methods are effecting the teams play.

The thing is, with the Laviolette example, the ridiculousness of it wasn't that there wasn't enough time.  In that case, the ridiculousness was that it hadn't been done at the end of the previous season.  Either then, or not at all.

With Julien, there's a little bit of that, too.   If they were going to fire him, it should have been at the end of last season.   The new GM, in his immaculate wisdom [sic] moved out Hamilton and Lucic and replaced them with [CENSORED] and then drafted several mid-round players in the first round.    They may, in fact, fire Julien, and I would be okay with that.  But what they expect him to do with an aging defensive core and no real injected help up front 3-5 games into a season is beyond my understanding.

If the leash on this disaster is only 3-5 games, they should have done it last year so he'd have had a chance to find other work.  Do it now is adding insult to injury.

@hf101   You were doubling down on her point, right?  #homercoasterTM-@radoran

@Unleashed Fury      Holmgren (a ridiculous GM) firing Laviolette 3 games into the season just proves how ridiculous it is.   Well said.

A lot of times making these horrible moves to soon really comes back and bites the GM right in the ***. I remember the Caps firing Bruce Boudreau after only 22 games and he was snagged right up by the Anaheim Ducks almost right away and not counting the remainder of that year all he has done with that Ducks team is coming in 1st in the Pacific Division and making it to the playoffs.Boudreau won 201 ******* games in his career and after he was fired the Caps are now on their 3rd coach(Dale Hunter, Adam Oates, Barry Trotz). Let's just hope they give Trotz more of a chance if the Capitals start of slow ever.

A lot of times making these horrible moves to soon really comes back and bites the GM right in the ***. I remember the Caps firing Bruce Boudreau after only 22 games and he was snagged right up by the Anaheim Ducks almost right away and not counting the remainder of that year all he has done with that Ducks team is coming in 1st in the Pacific Division and making it to the playoffs.Boudreau won 201 ******* games in his career and after he was fired the Caps are now on their 3rd coach(Dale Hunter, Adam Oates, Barry Trotz). Let's just hope they give Trotz more of a chance if the Capitals start of slow ever.

Honestly, the smartest thing they ever did was fire Boudreau.  I'm not at all a fan.  You'll notice he's doing the same exact thing in Anaheim:  Really good regular season only to shrivel in the playoffs.  I actually put that on him (and Overchicken, in the case of the caps).    I don't think the Ducks have a chance at the promised land until the coach is changed, and their window is quickly closing.

The problem with the Caps--and the problem when you fire your coach early in the season--is the options for replacement aren't as many as if you do it at the end of the season.   You also have a bit of pressure early in the season to replace quickly.  You have a little more time in the offseason.   So yes, it does often come back to bite the GM right in the ***.

The Flyers have a habit of this.  Hitchcock was fired absurdly early on.  They replaced with a vastly undercapable John Stevens.   Stevens, in turn, was fired early and they got lucky with Laviolette.  Going back further there are lots of examples for the Flyers but I won't bore you.  

I agree with you, though; it's very rarely a good thing.

The Capitals also got into this thing about it being a good idea to hire past players of the Caps like Dale Hunter and Adam Oates which I almost always think is a bad idea. Like you said though if you fire after the season has started there is less coaches to choose from and they went with Hunter. I think the whole Adam Oates thing was a disaster.

Also you mentioned about the coach not being able to get the ultimate prize the Stanley Cup. In hockey the Stanley Cup Playoffs is so great because you never know what is going to happen. Usually the team that has the goalie get really hot at the correct time in the playoffs and the team rides that goalie all the way to the Stanley Cup. For example Jonathan Quick in the 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs caught fire and no one could get a puck past him.

A lot of times I really feel sorry for the coaches because they are the first ones to get the ax if the team is going bad. For example with the Bruins if the team is going bad who is the GM going to let go Julien or star Goalie Tuuka Rask? Of course the choice would be the poor coach.

The Capitals also got into this thing about it being a good idea to hire past players of the Caps like Dale Hunter and Adam Oates which I almost always think is a bad idea. Like you said though if you fire after the season has started there is less coaches to choose from and they went with Hunter. I think the whole Adam Oates thing was a disaster.

Also you mentioned about the coach not being able to get the ultimate prize the Stanley Cup. In hockey the Stanley Cup Playoffs is so great because you never know what is going to happen. Usually the team that has the goalie get really hot at the correct time in the playoffs and the team rides that goalie all the way to the Stanley Cup. For example Jonathan Quick in the 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs caught fire and no one could get a puck past him.

A lot of times I really feel sorry for the coaches because they are the first ones to get the ax if the team is going bad. For example with the Bruins if the team is going bad who is the GM going to let go Julien or star Goalie Tuuka Rask? Of course the choice would be the poor coach.

Well, the GM in Boston would probably have to take a good long look in the mirror given his indefensible offseason.

"With the next pick we take Zboril!" What? Not Connor or Barzal?

"With the next pick, which we traded Hamilton for, we take XXXX". Who? that guy isn't supposed to go till late in the 1st?

"With the next pick, which we traded Lucic for, we take XXXX". WTF, that guy isn't supposed to go till the 3rd round????

Barzal and Connor of course go immediately in the next 2 picks LOL.

Rask is not really to blame given the defense in front of him. Chara is old and injured. They traded Hamilton, a future #1 for picks and picked trash with the picks. Resigned Mcquaid because they like his style. Signed Irwin, which made sharks fans laugh since we were so happy he was gone(And waived him  games in LOL). Seidenberg is injured.

Yeah, having 3 rookies on D is hard.

Well, the GM in Boston would probably have to take a good long look in the mirror given his indefensible offseason.

"With the next pick we take Zboril!" What? Not Connor or Barzal?

"With the next pick, which we traded Hamilton for, we take XXXX". Who? that guy isn't supposed to go till late in the 1st?

"With the next pick, which we traded Lucic for, we take XXXX". WTF, that guy isn't supposed to go till the 3rd round????

Barzal and Connor of course go immediately in the next 2 picks LOL.

Rask is not really to blame given the defense in front of him. Chara is old and injured. They traded Hamilton, a future #1 for picks and picked trash with the picks. Resigned Mcquaid because they like his style. Signed Irwin, which made sharks fans laugh since we were so happy he was gone(And waived him  games in LOL). Seidenberg is injured.

Yeah, having 3 rookies on D is hard.

Maybe the Bruins Owner should be the one thinking of firing the GM.

Archived