How many games is Dubinsky going to receive?

hf101

6 members have voted

1. 1. How many games is Dubinsky going to receive?

crosbydowngood_2500kbps_620x350_26796051

Well to no surprise Dubinsky and Crosby don't really like each other, as they've fought once last Februray. Last night Dubinsky delivered a crosscheck to the back of Sid's head, and then broke his stick while he gave him another cross check to the ribs while he was down.  The play on the ice was a 2-minute minor for cross checking, and Sid left the ice for the remaining 1:20 of the second period and returned for the third. 

Following the game here are some of the quotes from the players.

Crosby: "I'm not surprised, if that's what you're asking. I'm probably not surprised if I was going to get one of those shots, that it would be from (Dubinsky)."

"There’s no secret. I try to play him as hard as I can," Dubinsky said. "That being said, I don’t try and do anything dirty. I felt like my stick ride up his back a little bit. He’s kind of bent over there in front. But again, that’s not the type of player I am. I’m going to play hard, but try and play fair and play in between the whistle."

Dubinsky will have a hearing for the third time although he hasn't been suspended yet.  I don't think the league will just get a warning this time.

Make the call... how many games will Dubinsky be suspended?

I added zero.  If he gets anything they'll give him 2, but I don't think it warrants anything.

What?? Why i don't like the kid as much as anyone else but that is a dangerous play and it doesn't need to be in the game. It was at the base of his neck below his helmet...that is down right dirty as hell and it could've seriously hurt him i say 4 or more.

There is no place in the game for that type of stuff. Sorry Rux but you're dead wrong.

I added zero.  If he gets anything they'll give him 2, but I don't think it warrants anything.

I agree. The original hit to the neck and shoulder area probably happens more often than we know around the league. It was the extra cross check while Cindy was down that will possibly aggravate it to a  suspension.

The thing I found more troubling than Dubinsky's actions was the commentary by Steigerwald and Errey! :ph34r: 

ok, I get your thought process here -  Crosby dived.

Dubinsky will get at least 2 games for the hit to the head, and one because it is Crosby.

ok, I get your thought process here -  Crosby dived.

Dubinsky will get at least 2 games for the hit to the head, and one because it is Crosby.

LMAO @ "Crosby dived."  That made me chuckle.

He wasn't hurt when he got up.  He went to the dressing room because of his history.  That's sound precaution to me.  No, I don't think he dove, and I don't think he embellished. 

@OccamsRazor  If it doesn't involve Beavers, I'm rarely dead wrong.   :)

Seriously, though, that's not the egregious hit you're making it out to be.  It's jostling in front of the net and hitting while looking at the play at the point. It's absolutely a crosscheck, but it looks like he was going for upper back and didn't realize Crosby had leaned (not the word I'm going for, but best I can come up with at the moment.   Stooped?  That's not it either).  

Maybe the hit while he's down gets him something, but I see nothing suspension worthy here.  You suspend this, but the pucks and nets away, buy some tutus and compete in a dance-off against Disney on Ice.

but it looks like he was going for upper back and didn't realize Crosby had leaned (not the word I'm going for, but best I can come up with at the moment.

I don't care what he was going for, his point of contact was the back of his neck/head. SIT HIM!

And even like most suspendable hits yes the hitter had other intentions...but that doesn't matter it's what happen that counts.

It was dangerous and could have even paralyzed him so get that **** out the game. So he has to sit for that poor decision. 

Maybe the hit while he's down gets him something, but I see nothing suspension worthy here.  You suspend this, but the pucks and nets away, buy some tutus and compete in a dance-off against Disney on Ice.

Well this hit on Stepan got no call from the league.  Stepan is said to have obtained broken ribs on the play.

Well this hit on Stepan got no call from the league.  Stepan is said to have obtained broken ribs on the play.

I don't see anything illegal there.  Maybe slightly late.  

You know what?   I just watched the Crosby video again.  I change my opinion.  @OccamsRazor   That's embellishment on Crosby's part.  It's a tap to the head, nothing more.   I know you love Crosby, but that's a nothing hit.  If that gets a suspension it's only because of the #87 on the back.

You know what?   I just watched the Crosby video again.  I change my opinion.  @OccamsRazor   That's embellishment on Crosby's part.  It's a tap to the head, nothing more.   I know you love Crosby, but that's a nothing hit.  If that gets a suspension it's only because of the #87 on the back.

I think you have to compare this cross check to the head to the one Byfuglien gave to Miller.  Byfuglien was fined 3 times prior to the given 4 game suspension.  I do think the league will give something similiar to Dubinsky, because it is Crosby and it is a cross check the league doesn't want to see in the game. -  Thus I'll stick to my 3 games since the hit was not as forceful as the one Byfuglien delivered.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=761122

I think you have to compare this cross check to the head to the one Byfuglien gave to Miller.  Byfuglien was fined 3 times prior to the given 4 game suspension.  I do think the league will give something similiar to Dubinsky, because it is Crosby and it is a cross check the league doesn't want to see in the game. -  Thus I'll stick to my 3 games since the hit was not as forceful as the one Byfuglien delivered.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=761122

Yes good example except maybe that one is a little rougher even but good example both are dangerous.

@hf101

I think he gets two for the reasons you stated. It wasn't a terrible crosscheck as far as severity, but it was in a terrible location on the body. And it was Crosby. 

This.  That's why I started out with the league will probably give him 2.  Except, mine is 0 for the severity.  1 because it's Crosby.  1 because Bettman hates it when Crosby says "Not tonight, Gary.  I have a headache."

I honestly don't personally suspend at all on this one.  2 minute minor, move on.

Dubi has always done things like that and gotten away with it. Its surprising this is his first suspension.  Not only does he deliver a crosscheck to the back of the head, but he breaks his stick with a cross check to the lower back while Crosby's on the ice.  One game is a vacation day for him.   Torts has the team in prime form, probably whined that it was even a penalty.

Yeah, Crosschecks to the neck have to be suspendable. Might have been an accident, but it is dangerous and hurts like a mofo trust me. If you don't believe me, let a big guy grab ahold of any stick and give you a light one to the neck. Even the smallest blows of that nature are awful in that area.

@hf101

Speaking of dangerous cross checks!!!

“dented trachea.” is what Colaiacovo received from that cheap shot.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/carlo-colaiacovo-treated-for--dented-trachea--after-throat-cross-check--video-050637417.html

So is this a suspendable offense sending a guy to the hospital??? I say yes.

The Flyers fan perspective in many of these posts is humorous. The league has failed to protect Crisby time and time again. Has failed to punish for cheap shorting Crosby time and time again. And yet some of you think a suspension will only be because it's Crosby that gets hit? Look back through history and tell me when that has happened...

The Flyers fan perspective in many of these posts is humorous. The league has failed to protect Crisby time and time again. Has failed to punish for cheap shorting Crosby time and time again. And yet some of you think a suspension will only be because it's Crosby that gets hit? Look back through history and tell me when that has happened...

Speaking of humorous....

And it's not specifically Crosby, I just think if Dubinsky does that to, say,Zac Rinaldo, he may not get a suspension.

And it's Crysby, not Crisby.  :D

Speaking of humorous....

And it's not specifically Crosby, I just think if Dubinsky does that to, say,Zac Rinaldo, he may not get a suspension.

And it's Crysby, not Crisby. :D

It frustrates Pens fans with how little the league has done to protect Crosby. Going back to the Steckel shoulder to the jaw behind the play in the Winter Classic that started the whole concussion/neck injury trend in the first place.

Ronaldo is a bad example. Lol. If Dubinsky did this to a Wayne Simmonds, yes I'd expect a suspension. Ronaldo maybe not. ;)

It frustrates Pens fans with how little the league has done to protect Crosby. Going back to the Steckel shoulder to the jaw behind the play in the Winter Classic that started the whole concussion/neck injury trend in the first place.

Ronaldo is a bad example. Lol. If Dubinsky did this to a Wayne Simmonds, yes I'd expect a suspension. Ronaldo maybe not. ;)

In fairness, Crosby has also gotten away with things that anyone else would have been punished for. His third man in shots to the balls on a guy who was prone on the ice for example.

In fairness, Crosby has also gotten away with things that anyone else would have been punished for. His third man in shots to the balls on a guy who was prone on the ice for example.

Hogwash... Punch one guy in the rectum and it's "oh he got away with it!" The rest of his life.... He's had his share of bad calls against him too. He's put in the box like anyone else. Just not protected like stars should be. He'll like they ALL should be.

Hogwash... Punch one guy in the rectum and it's "oh he got away with it!" The rest of his life.... He's had his share of bad calls against him too. He's put in the box like anyone else. Just not protected like stars should be. He'll like they ALL should be.

I know you love the guy, but he was throwing punches with his gloves on. To a guy being held helpless and prone by another teammate. Punches to the back of the head under the helmet and to the beanbag. I know you love to say "He was aiming for his bum", but you know as well as we do that he was going for the bagtag.

It was a dirty hit. But, that type of shot (spell shot anyway you want) happens often. Dubinsky should sit because a crosscheck to the back of the neck could cripple.

Suppose you're in charge of enforcement in the NHL. And, Crosby (or any star) gets a questionable hit. If you rule for his attacker, he might have a "lower body injury" at all-star time. How much money would the league lose by his absence?

Not saying it's going to happen. But, if I was Sid, I might play that card.

Archived