Del Zotto: BEAST

caluso

Del Zotto is a great d-man. Truly a number 1.

Amazing that we acquired him for nothing.

People talk about our "core" players, MDZ is where it starts for me.

I seem to recall Del Zotto being on his last chances to be an NHL defenseman.

When the Flyers got him, he was hit or miss (lots of miss) with both the Rangers and Predators.

Good for Del Zotto and good for the Flyers that he is turning out well for them, but I don't see much 'amazement' in getting him for nearly nothing when, at the time, he was damned close to being relegated to NHL journeyman, if not out of the NHL altogether.

Of course, if you are going to compare his play to what the Flyers have had on D the last couple seasons, then yes, I suppose relatively speaking, beastly he is. :)

I seem to recall Del Zotto being on his last chances to be an NHL defenseman.

When the Flyers got him, he was hit or miss (lots of miss) with both the Rangers and Predators.

Good for Del Zotto and good for the Flyers that he is turning out well for them, but I don't see much 'amazement' in getting him for nearly nothing when, at the time, he was damned close to being relegated to NHL journeyman, if not out of the NHL altogether.

Of course, if you are going to compare his play to what the Flyers have had on D the last couple seasons, then yes, I suppose relatively speaking, beastly he is. :)

I should have said, it is amazing how it's turned out. Better?

And, no, I am not just speaking " relatively." He would be a top-pairing d-man on almost every other team, as well. He battles and competes hard every night, playing over 22 minutes per game; he kills penalties; he is always matched against the opponent's top line. 

I've always liked Del Zotto, especially from his Generals and Knights days. Part of me believes the Rangers gave him too much too soon and it was just too much for a kid to handle. Fame, money and being 18/19 in New York City. He's a good story of redemption. Two organizations gave up on him. One took a chance on him and he's rewarding them with very good play. I really believe he's the one veteran player that Hextall will retain when Provorov, Sanheim, Morin and Friedman are all ready (I'd love to see Hagg, but gut feeling says he'll be used in a package to get Ryan Johansen from Columbus).

(I'd love to see Hagg, but gut feeling says he'll be used in a package to get Ryan Johansen from Columbus).

It would take way more than what Hex can offer to pry Johansen from Columbus. He also wouldn't be worth it.

I've always liked Del Zotto, especially from his Generals and Knights days. Part of me believes the Rangers gave him too much too soon and it was just too much for a kid to handle. Fame, money and being 18/19 in New York City. He's a good story of redemption. Two organizations gave up on him. One took a chance on him and he's rewarding them with very good play. I really believe he's the one veteran player that Hextall will retain when Provorov, Sanheim, Morin and Friedman are all ready (I'd love to see Hagg, but gut feeling says he'll be used in a package to get Ryan Johansen from Columbus).

Provorov will be a star, if he stays healthy.

I can't say the same abut the other guys who are underperforming this year.

How is Travis underperforming? The kid missed 8 or so games and is still 4 pts away from leading the whl in scoring from a d man. Smack my head

Ethan bear has 2 more points than Travis with 10 more games. Trade him straight up right now!

Morin has always been a project. His upside is still 4-5 years out.

Del Zotto is a great d-man. Truly a number 1.

Amazing that we acquired him for nothing.

People talk about our "core" players, MDZ is where it starts for me.

A #1 on the current Flyers roster? Sure. 

A true #1 NHL defenceman? LMAO!

MDZ is probably best as a 2/3. He's doing well in the top spot, but there are still holes in his game that prevent him from being a true number 1. I'd still keep him going forward.

MDZ is probably best as a 2/3. He's doing well in the top spot, but there are still holes in his game that prevent him from being a true number 1. I'd still keep him going forward.

Maybe that's true, but you don't truly learn to be a 1 until you have to fill that role. I think MDZ might be on his way to a new style #1 (post-lockout hockey). He's not there yet, but who knows where he will still develop and how hard he wants to work at it.

@doom88

He makes way too many wrong decisions without the puck to be a #1. I'm not knocking the guy, we picked him up when noone else wanted him and right now he's one of our best defencemen. That may be more of a knock on our lack of talent back there than a glowing comment on him, but I'm fine with keeping him going forward, or trading him if someone offers a great return. I certainly don't want to just get rid of him.

Maybe that's true, but you don't truly learn to be a 1 until you have to fill that role. I think MDZ might be on his way to a new style #1 (post-lockout hockey). He's not there yet, but who knows where he will still develop and how hard he wants to work at it.

The truth is, he won't need to be a no.1 guy once our more talented prospects find their game and hit the NHL. For the time being, he's been very solid. I find he's been especially good defensively this year. He seems to be a very hard guy to play against. He's much more physical this year. He's been very good at fighting it out in the corners, and he's got some wheels. That's a pretty good combination.

I find his offensive game is pretty much the same it always has been. That is, he has good looks, but he's not consistently good on that side of the puck. That's okay though. In my mind he has been our best dman this year. He's also boosting his trade value considerably, which is important on a team with a load of top D prospects in the pipeline to eventually replace him.

MDZ is a nice piece and if he were a true number one I would trade him for a kings ransom in a heartbeat. Please... his decision making without the puck is still suspect...

No team is trying to target MDZ in a trade that would give us a return of a true number one. This is as bad as the "Umberger is going to score 30" garbage.

He is a nice player but on a cup contending team nowhere near a number one. Nice 3/4 dman that can play on the 2nd PP and fill the first PP when needed.

People really believe he is in the same class as a Weber, Keith, OEL, Doughty? Lol!

People really believe he is in the same class as a Weber, Keith, OEL, Doughty? Lol!

I don't think anyone believes that... there are maybe a half dozen dmen in the league who bring what that group brings. MDZ will never be that, but that doesn't mean he's bad.

As I mentioned above, he's a solid dman who is playing better this year than probably ever. He's boosting his trade value to a point where I'm confident Hex could find a trading partner without too much difficulty. Whether he will be traded or not is a question for Hex moving forward, but he's playing well enough that it definitely gives Hex some options.

Will any of our prospect dmen turn out to be as good as the group you mentioned? I certainly hope so. It's possible. Provorov in particular stands a good chance of reaching that level. That's no guarantee of course, but it's something.

I don't think anyone believes that... there are maybe a half dozen dmen in the league who bring what that group brings. MDZ will never be that, but that doesn't mean he's bad.

As I mentioned above, he's a solid dman who is playing better this year than probably ever. He's boosting his trade value to a point where I'm confident Hex could find a trading partner without too much difficulty. Whether he will be traded or not is a question for Hex moving forward, but he's playing well enough that it definitely gives Hex some options.

Will any of our prospect dmen turn out to be as good as the group you mentioned? I certainly hope so. It's possible. Provorov in particular stands a good chance of reaching that level. That's no guarantee of course, but it's something.

Provorov and Sanheim I think have the best potential. MDZ is a good dman and I am not arguing that... but to call him a true #1 is pure nonsense. That was the original post so some feel he is a true #1... as bad as that may be....

And if MDZ starts the core of this retooling I am glad that person is not the GM. I will gladly rebuild around G...

I mean Gost has more goals in his short stint w the Flyers and MDZ is just about as good away from the puck. It is nonsense to call him a number 1....

When did he get his first goal of the year?

Provorov and Sanheim I think have the best potential. MDZ is a good dman and I am not arguing that... but to call him a true #1 is pure nonsense. That was the original post so some feel he is a true #1... as bad as that may be....

And if MDZ starts the core of this retooling I am glad that person is not the GM. I will gladly rebuild around G...

I mean Gost has more goals in his short stint w the Flyers and MDZ is just about as good away from the puck. It is nonsense to call him a number 1....

When did he get his first goal of the year?

MDZ? His first goal is against Nashville

Ghost scored his first goal against LAK, the Flyers then did their patented lose the lead in the final minute of the game being unable to clear the zone with 6 men on the ice.

"Truly a #1" - huh? Put down the pipe dude.

He is a nice player. The Flyers should consider keeping him here when the kids are ready. But a #1 - nope.

"When the kids are ready" It sounds good but is meaningless. What makes you think any of the "kids" will be better than MDZ? Hype?

Do you watch the "kids?" Do you have any idea how they are developing? I watch every Phantom game, and I have news for you, the "kids" are not close to being ready. MDZ is way better than everybody we have in the A. And, he's only 25.

Morin is a physically imposing player who is not close to being ready for the NHL. He is tough but very raw.  Haag is wildly inconsistent and shows very little passion

And in juniors:

Sanheim is an offensive player but he has really regressed defensively this year. He's also years away.

Provorov is and will be special. I love his game!

MDZ is still young and someone I believe in. He just logged 29 minutes versus the Rangers (while Ghost only logged 19, by comparison) and played really solid hockey. He's tough, skilled and really competes. He's also perfect for Hakstol's system.

I hope every "kid" develops into a number 1 but even you will admit that is unlikely. MDZ is already getting it done, saddled with mediocre partners. There should be no doubt that he is a core player.

Archived