Is Bernier Finished in Toronto?

WordsOfWisdom

Have we witnessed the end of the Bernier era in Toronto?

The Leafs are a franchise that eats goalies for breakfast. Bernier survived two years (barely). I'm wondering if he stays parked on the bench now until the trade deadline.

His value just took a tremendous nosedive.

Wonder how many of the "Flyers blew it not getting this guy" crowd on this board still believe he's a #1?

Mason is way better. So is Neuvrith.

I don't really have any opinion on Bernier, but... it's really hard to make a determination on a player - especially a goalie - on a bad team.

Mason's three years after his rookie year in Columbus he had a 3+ GAA and a ~.900 SV% (16-26-3, 3.39, .894, 46 appearances in the 11-12 season). He was 3-6-1, 2.95, .899 in 12-13 before being traded to the Flyers.

His first year in Tronno Bernier was 26-19-7, 2.68, .923 and last year was 21-28-7, 2.87, .912

Sparks will be the sixteenth Leaf goalie in the past 10 years and ninth since 2010.

It just might be that it's not the goalie's fault.

I don't really have any opinion on Bernier, but... it's really hard to make a determination on a player - especially a goalie - on a bad team.

Mason's three years after his rookie year in Columbus he had a 3+ GAA and a ~.900 SV% (16-26-3, 3.39, .894, 46 appearances in the 11-12 season). He was 3-6-1, 2.95, .899 in 12-13 before being traded to the Flyers.

His first year in Tronno Bernier was 26-19-7, 2.68, .923 and last year was 21-28-7, 2.87, .912

Sparks will be the sixteenth Leaf goalie in the past 10 years and ninth since 2010.

It just might be that it's not the goalie's fault.

You must not have seen many (or any) Leafs games. The Leafs as a team have been much improved this season. Trust me, it wasn't the team.....

You must not have seen many (or any) Leafs games. The Leafs as a team have been much improved this season. Trust me, it wasn't the team.....

I certainly grant you that. But Bernier put up fairly respectable numbers for the past two seasons (given the circumstances).

Has his game simply fallen off a cliff?

And despite being "much improved", the Leafs are still averaging just 2.3 goals per game and there are only two teams in the league (PHL, CAR) with fewer goals this season. For the Leafs, that's actually down .27 goals per game from the 2.57 goals per game last season and down .5 goals per game from two years ago.

I don't at all dispute the notion that Bernier hasn't been a world-saver for the Leafs, but it could very well be that a "change of scenery" would do him (and the Leafs) good.

And despite being "much improved", the Leafs are still averaging just 2.3 goals per game and there are only two teams in the league (PHL, CAR) with fewer goals this season. 

I saw a stat the other night that showed goal support for starting goalies (min. 10 games started) and Bernier got the least goals. Not an excuse for his play, just a fact that explains, partly, his winless record. 

Bernier has pedigree. He is clearly suffering from a complete lack of confidence, the likes of which he has likely never experienced. Playing for a lousy Leafs team the last few years is hardly conducive to getting it back.

I think it's the regression that is troubling because it's been the exact same team in front of him during that time. So while playing on a lousy defensive team, we can isolate Bernier and say that he has now regressed for the second straight year.  :o

And you thought the Flyers had bad luck with goalies!  ;) The Leafs have had some horrific goalies during that time (Toskala), many of which are not in the NHL anymore.

I think it's the regression that is troubling because it's been the exact same team in front of him during that time. So while playing on a lousy defensive team, we can isolate Bernier and say that he has now regressed for the second straight year.  :o

And you thought the Flyers had bad luck with goalies!  ;) The Leafs have had some horrific goalies during that time (Toskala), many of which are not in the NHL anymore.

Toskala was only horrible on the leafs :)

He played well for the Sharks. Equal, or close to Nabby in his prime. But we could not afford both.

Thank you for the Couture pick + taking Bell's contract with Toskala though

I saw a stat the other night that showed goal support for starting goalies (min. 10 games started) and Bernier got the least goals. Not an excuse for his play, just a fact that explains, partly, his winless record. 

Bernier has pedigree. He is clearly suffering from a complete lack of confidence, the likes of which he has likely never experienced. Playing for a lousy Leafs team the last few years is hardly conducive to getting it back.

The irony of it is that this is the best defensive Leafs team that he has ever had in front of him. They actually have a system in place now that is working for them. It's the goaltending that is holding them back whereas in previous years it was just terrible "D" coupled with average goaltending.

Toskala was only horrible on the leafs :)

He played well for the Sharks. Equal, or close to Nabby in his prime. But we could not afford both.

Thank you for the Couture pick + taking Bell's contract with Toskala though

Anytime you need...

• a #1 draft pick to turn your franchise around
  • cap relief
  • extra points to boost your spot in the standings

...you just call the Leafs. We'll help get you back on track!  :cool[1]:

Anytime you need...

• a #1 draft pick to turn your franchise around
  • cap relief
  • extra points to boost your spot in the standings

...you just call the Leafs. We'll help get you back on track!  :cool[1]:

Sometimes it just hurts writing down the god's honest truth.......the flyer  fans can most certainly relate......

Time machine moment:  :o

Bernier is going to be traded to the Montreal Canadiens. I just don't know who the Leafs are going to get back. Draft pick?

(This is due to Price's extended injury.)

WAKE UP WOW!!  WAKE UP!!! 

Mwahahahahaha..

WAKE UP WOW!!  WAKE UP!!! 

Mwahahahahaha..

LOL. :lol:  Wait. What's the date today? Oh yeah... it hasn't happened yet. My bad. Act surprised when he gets traded. ;)

This injury to Price is going to emphasize the importance for Montreal to have a reliable and experienced backup goalie -- especially for the playoffs. So naturally, that's where Bernier comes in. He can play at a high level for short periods of time, but he doesn't seem to be good enough to be a #1.

@WordsOfWisdom

I don't think you're crazy at all. That's a trade I could see happening (assuming there are no cap/roster issues with it). Bernier has pedigree and has lost his way. Anybody can reinvent themselves. Look at Mason in Philly - from basket case to elite goalie again.

A change of scenery, a positive team environment, a win, some confidence. Bob's your uncle.

Bernier has just been sent down to the Marlies!  :o

Bernier has his 2nd straight shutout with the Marlies.  

Looks like the reconditioning stint is working to Babcocks plan...

Archived