So umm...Lou Lamoriello to the Leafs?

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/lamoriello-finds-new-leaf-on-life-1.335055

I guess when they said they wanted experience for the GM role, they weren't kidding.

Not sure how to feel about this, other than shocked he left New Jersey.

I also wonder how much power he'll have, or if he's sort of the mentor for Dubas and company.

LMAO...what?

Just when it seemed like they were doing all the right things in Toronto, they go out and hire the guy who has left the Devils in shambles?

He used to be a great gm. He isn't anymore.

LMAO...what?

Just when it seemed like they were doing all the right things in Toronto, they go out and hire the guy who has left the Devils in shambles?

He used to be a great gm. He isn't anymore.

One step forward...two steps back...

I also wonder how much power he'll have

He'll have plenty of power. The guy ran the mob in Jersey for 20 years so he wont have a problem giving some hoser a fresh one. :)  :ph34r:

@JR Ewing That's actually what I'm wondering.

The Leafs have been preaching the committee approach, and then bring in the godfather. Is it actually to give Lou full control, or more as a mentor? Tough to say.

I hope for the Leafs sake that Dubas is the guy they're looking toward long term. I think he has potential to be an amazing hire for the Leafs; the best in many years.

First bonehead move by Shanahan. Very disappointed.... :angry:

Yeah, who would want one of the most respected GMs in the league that helped build a successful team for two decades and is almost universally praised by former players. Obviously what Toronto has been doing was better...

Lou *was* a great GM, but you really have to shake your head at some of things he has done of late. Not even of late, he was the guy who pulled the trigger on Kovy.

We know how that worked out. Lou got lucky he headed for the KHL. That contract would have killed the Devils as time went by. To be fair, maybe Lou was pressred by the owner, who knows....but that deal was certainly going to be an albatross.

It is possilbe Hunter is in the mix of GM and Lou is mentoring him, but the other guy seems more likely, only because Hunter is so good at recognzing talent, they need him running the scouts.

I think his best before date has passed..... :(

I know it's apparently only a 3 year deal, and that Dubas will likely take over after that, but , yah, bonehead IMHO. I just hope it's Shanny's hand on the tiller.

Yeah, who would want one of the most respected GMs in the league that helped build a successful team for two decades and is almost universally praised by former players.

Clearly not the Devils.

:hocky:

perhaps an new venue and a franchise with deep pockets will revitalize the "prince of lies" . I would not be surprised to see the Leaf become a good team under his leadership.  I wouldn't... running that New Jersey team , always with the spectre of no money would be demoralizing.  just saying.

I am not a fan of this.

Clearly not the Devils.

:hocky:

Touche.

His best days are likely behind him, but I don't think "the game has passed him by" nearly as much as seems to be the popular opinion I've read in a lot of places. Having that amount of knowledge, experience, and connections can only help the Leafs IMO.

@MadDevil  5 trips to the finals, 3 Stanley Cups, already inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, the credentials are all there, no doubting that. It's his drafting and team building in the non glory years that are at question here. He had the same cap to work with, yet failed miserably to ever make the team competitive again. Despite having year upon year of high draft picks and more than enough time to turn a roster into what he envisioned....he failed. Somehow, someway, he started to become ineffective, and if I was the Leafs, I'd be a little worried about that.

Year upon year of high draft picks? The Devils have had 4 top 10 picks in the last 25 years. Before Larsson in 2011, their last top 5 pick was Niedermayer in 1991. Zacha is the first top 10 pick they've used on a forward since Bill Guerin in 1989. Draft position is actually a big part of their drafting woes. When you're usually picking in the 20's year after year it's hard to pick up impact players (especially forwards).

Archived