LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2015-2016

pilldoc

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I just read the Hagg article and plan to read the rest.  Superb.

The article ends by saying he's in the Phantoms plans for '16-'17.  He may have a complicated year unless he picks up where he left off in April.  Healthy scratches in Lehigh Valley are development killers and I hope for his sake he doesn't end up the 7th or 8th defenseman there.

Philippe Meyers scored a PP goal. Ivan was pointless and -1.

Wheat Kings Fall to Huskies 5-3

Game_2_BDN_ROU.jpg

http://new.whl.ca/article/wheat-kings-fall-to-huskies-5-3

Reid Duke lit the lamp early for the Brandon Wheat Kings who took a 1-0 lead just minutes into the opening period. James Shearer and Tim McGauley drew assists on the goal. However, the Rouyn-Niranda Huskies struck back as Anthony-John Greer wired one by Wheat Kings’ netminder Jordan Papirny to tie the game at the 14:06 mark. The Huskies tacked on two more to carry a 3-1 lead after the first period of play. Rouyn-Niranda outshot Brandon 15-12 in the period.

Rouyn-Niranda kept on coming as Philippe Myers scored on a Huskies power play to make the score 4-1 and then Timo Meier potted his second of the night to give the Huskies a big 5-1 lead.

Tyler Coulter netted his first of the tournament to cut the deficit to 5-2. Wheat Kings alternate captain John Quenneville then scored on a sensational between the legs breakaway to get his club within two goals.

Brandon continued to press hard but Chase Marchand turned aside 39 shots to secure the 5-3 victory for Rouyn-Niranda.

Brandon went scoreless on the power play, finishing 0/5 while Rouyn-Niranda converted once on five man advantages.

The host Red Deer Rebels return to action on Sunday evening when they take on the Huskies at 5:00pm MT/4:00pm PT.

I think this Tim Mcgauley kid would make a nice addition to the Phantoms they need some depth at center (6-0 187).

He is a free agent after this is over.

This was my sixth or seventh time seeing Prov this season, so I kinda knew what to expect. He might have got held off the scoresheet, but his overall play was fine. He's like a general out there, so keenly aware of his surroundings and the God given talent to follow up on the insight his vision provides. He did show he was human though, he had a few giveaways, but overall...very impressed as usual. I'm not gonna put any pressure on the kid, but his game does remind me of Duncan Kieth, same smarts, same gifted skating, same awareness, same offensive output....of course, just not at the NHL level, the CHL is no comparison....but I DO see a lot of Duncan in his game....although, I must say, he has a mean streak and just loves to initiate contact and obliterate opponents, that part of his game is superior to Duncan....the rest, if he is even close to Kieth at the NHL level, it will be thrilling to watch his career unfold.

My first look at Myers.....WOW...this kid is a legit NHL talent. VERY nice skating and raw skill for such a big, young defender....he is raw, but the talent is undeniable. I'm gonna come right  out and say it now....he WILL be an NHL player, and a very good one. I have him ahead of Hagg right now....just after my first look....and ahead of Friedman...who just might be in the mix.....

For raw skill and potential impact...I have...

1)Provorov.....Provs is probably the only young dman I would put ahead of Ghost....but the vision and skating....hard to say who is faster, but Provs might edge out Ghost in the speed dept...

2)Ghost

3)Sanhiem

4)Myers

5)Morin

6)Hagg

7)Friedman

Look, we have a full defense of young stars now....LOL!

8 hours ago, jammer2 said:

This was my sixth or seventh time seeing Prov this season, so I kinda knew what to expect. He might have got held off the scoresheet, but his overall play was fine. He's like a general out there, so keenly aware of his surroundings and the God given talent to follow up on the insight his vision provides. He did show he was human though, he had a few giveaways, but overall...very impressed as usual. I'm not gonna put any pressure on the kid, but his game does remind me of Duncan Kieth, same smarts, same gifted skating, same awareness, same offensive output....of course, just not at the NHL level, the CHL is no comparison....but I DO see a lot of Duncan in his game....although, I must say, he has a mean streak and just loves to initiate contact and obliterate opponents, that part of his game is superior to Duncan....the rest, if he is even close to Kieth at the NHL level, it will be thrilling to watch his career unfold.

My first look at Myers.....WOW...this kid is a legit NHL talent. VERY nice skating and raw skill for such a big, young defender....he is raw, but the talent is undeniable. I'm gonna come right  out and say it now....he WILL be an NHL player, and a very good one. I have him ahead of Hagg right now....just after my first look....and ahead of Friedman...who just might be in the mix.....

For raw skill and potential impact...I have...

1)Provorov.....Provs is probably the only young dman I would put ahead of Ghost....but the vision and skating....hard to say who is faster, but Provs might edge out Ghost in the speed dept...

2)Ghost

3)Sanhiem

4)Myers

5)Morin

6)Hagg

7)Friedman

Look, we have a full defense of young stars now....LOL!

That is an impressive D-corp if i must say so myself.

I would throw Reece Willcox in there to he is a stay at home type with a nice wrist shot from the point. He is 6-4 205 righthand shot and will take another year or two on the Phantoms but his smarts on the ice will have him somehow involved in the equation in the future i think.

Friedman will be a junior next year but since he has spent a year in the USHL he will have to be signed by the end of next year because if he gets to his senior year and ins't signed he will become a free agent. I know the Flyers won't want to lose him so next year could be his last in college before he joins the Phantoms.

That will be an improvement on the right hand shot from the backend...Myers, Willcox and Friedman are all righties. Good to have balance.

I imagine Hagg will be feeling the heat soon from all these guys catching up to him. I expect a good offseason for Robert this year to come in and make a name for himself in Leigh next year.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

What a sweet pass up the middle by Ivan....Flyers can use these two for sure!!!

https://twitter.com/CHLHockey/status/734199397743874048/video/1

Yes, just tons of skill and vision went into that beautiful pass. Provs is so talented at anticipating....he just *knew* where his forward was going to be seconds before it happened....it's one thing to know, quite another to have the skill to unleash a bullet of a pass like that...just deadly accuracy. Provs is like many super talented players...he basically just wishes it there and BAM...it is on the stick....friggin awesome I say!!!

On 5/19/2016 at 5:22 PM, peter puck said:

Jammer2

Whats your take on Logan Stanley?

Sorry about the long stretch without answering...worked 12 hr shifts Fri, Sat and Sun...

Logan Stanley is a big towering mean defensive defensemen. He has little to no offensive upside. He skates decent for a big man, but has moments where he falters skating backwards and I've seen guy blow by him. He's a very interesting prospect, and I do think he will iron out the weak pts of his game. ....but yeah, 6'6 with a mean streak....kinda like Morin but even worse at offense. If you want a mean top 2 pairing guy (I think that is what he will end up being), he would interest you. Perfect guy to pair with a run and gun offensive guy to balance things out. There are holes in his game, but the size and mean streak make him valuable.

10 hours ago, Poconono said:

Provolone is having a rather disappointing Memorial Cup.  The whole team looks exhausted.

Ya, his entire team has been disappointing. Provorov is the least of their worries.

17 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Turned it off at 4-0. 

It's ok i look forward to the kid starting the next chapter in his life for the Flyers next camp. In fact he and Ghost will be the reason i renew my Gamecenter for next year. :ike:

Myers last game was a real mixed bag. First off, his positioning was not very good. Secondly, with his team down 4-2 at almost the half way point, he took the liberty of joining the rush....I mean, full on, no coming back to help your partner type of joining. It was to early for this type of strategy, and unless his coach ordered it...it was REALLY unwise. It was the kind of desperation stuff you would expect in the last 3 minutes...not half way through the game!!   This resulted in 3 odd man breaks the other way, basically leaving his defense partner high and dry....very lucky to have not given up goals on these plays. Also...Myers is not on the main pk team....but when the Huskies were down 2 men, he was forced into action....I know they were down 2 men...but you do NOT leave your man, who is wide open at the side of the net to pursue the puck....the initial shot scored, but Myers man would have had all day to tuck in any kind of rebound.

The positives....he is a bulldog on the puck, never ever gives up trying regain or gain possession. He skating strides is raw and unrefined, but wow...really nice long quick strides. A lot more to like than not like.....but a lot of coaching needed...but the raw skills, there are there in spades.

58 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Sportsnet is about to do a feature on Ivan Provorov during the 1st period intermission of Brandon vs Red Deer....should be very cool!!!

I saw that. Did you catch the end when the panel was asked if Ivan was going to play in the show next year? A unanimous Yes!

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

I saw that. Did you catch the end when the panel was asked if Ivan was going to play in the show next year? A unanimous Yes!

Yeah, that was former Spitfire star Todd Warriner giving the most emphatic yes. I'd have to agree. There is nothing more that junior hockey can teach him. Going back to Brandon would not stunt his growth, but it would not help him grow as a player either. As patient as Hexy wants to be, sometimes talent just knocks the door down.

The expansion timeline will have some bearing on it, I'm sure. Hextall basically said that the fact that he has so many good players that are still in juniors is going to be important come the expansion draft. He may make a strategic decision to leave both Provorov and Myers in Juniors next year so they are exempt if expansion goes one team in 2017 and one in 2018. Though it's still somewhat unclear if "first and second year players" means players will be exempt who have completed up to two years as pros, or only players going into their second pro year.

Archived