LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2015-2016

pilldoc

On 23/05/2016 at 2:23 PM, jammer2 said:

Sorry about the long stretch without answering...worked 12 hr shifts Fri, Sat and Sun...

Logan Stanley is a big towering mean defensive defensemen. He has little to no offensive upside. He skates decent for a big man, but has moments where he falters skating backwards and I've seen guy blow by him. He's a very interesting prospect, and I do think he will iron out the weak pts of his game. ....but yeah, 6'6 with a mean streak....kinda like Morin but even worse at offense. If you want a mean top 2 pairing guy (I think that is what he will end up being), he would interest you. Perfect guy to pair with a run and gun offensive guy to balance things out. There are holes in his game, but the size and mean streak make him valuable.

I've read a few publications and draft sites that have the Flyers selecting Stanley. I've also seen a lot in which Luke Kunin might be the pick. I'm still holding out hope for Max Jones, but after reading up on Kunin, he might just be the right choice. High IQ, plays well in all three zones, maturity beyond his years, has a pro caliber snapshot, slapshot and wrist shot, plus he's also a physical player. His skating could use some work, but tha can be addressed by adding a little more muscle (think Oskar Lindblom). 

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I've read a few publications and draft sites that have the Flyers selecting Stanley. I've also seen a lot in which Luke Kunin might be the pick. I'm still holding out hope for Max Jones, but after reading up on Kunin, he might just be the right choice. High IQ, plays well in all three zones, maturity beyond his years, has a pro caliber snapshot, slapshot and wrist shot, plus he's also a physical player. His skating could use some work, but tha can be addressed by adding a little more muscle (think Oskar Lindblom). 

Hey, I'm all for selecting the best player, but Stanley is a very iffy pick. Considering our depth on defense, if it's even close to a tie with a forward, you gotta go forward IMHO. Stanley has a lot of upside, but his downside is a cut below Hal Gill (or worse, maybe a Jarred Tinordi type of thing where he does not see the NHL if his skating does not improve as some suspect it will) ...so I would keep that in mind when drafting.

54 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Hey, I'm all for selecting the best player, but Stanley is a very iffy pick. Considering our depth on defense, if it's even close to a tie with a forward, you gotta go forward IMHO. Stanley has a lot of upside, but his downside is a cut below Hal Gill (or worse, maybe a Jarred Tinordi type of thing where he does not see the NHL if his skating does not improve as some suspect it will) ...so I would keep that in mind when drafting.

I agree sure if a Provorov type is sitting there i guess take him because when ready either that draft pick or the defenseman he would force how would become a trade chip later but otherwise go forward LW or Center....i think they have enough at RW as of now.

How about this for an idea?  What if Tyson Jost (one of my favorites), Luke Kunin and Max Jones are all taken before the Flyers pick.  As far as BPA, would you consider another defenseman?  I know the Flyers are well stocked in this department, but the one thing I don't see is a Right Hand D-man.  I've read some really good things about Dante Fabbro (Penticton Vees, BCHL)? He is a Right Handed D-Man who in 45 Games had 14G and 53A for 67 Points along with only 30 PIM. 

Full Disclosure:  I don't know much about the BCHL.

While it's true that the Flyers' prospect cupboard is rich in defencemen, Gostisbehere, Morin, Sanheim, Provorov and Hagg are all lefthanded defencemen. At this stage, the BPA for the Flyers is Fabbro and he happens to fill a position of need: RD. He has potential as a two-way D-man who excels at creating offense on the counterattack. Committed to Boston University next year, he'll be part of a great core there and he'll be able to continue developing into what some think could be a first pairing defender.

Various rankings have him ranked anywhere from 10 to 21.  If there is no Forward worth drafting at #18, then why not draft another D-man with what appears to have some very good potential and upswing.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016/5/27/11701548/dante-fabbro-scouting-report-draft-profile-highlights-bchl-entry-draft-montreal-canadiens-draft-2016

"Hockey sense is the engine that drives Fabbro. His ability to rapidly process the game and make the correct decision is tremendous. This was on full display during his fantastic performance at the U-18s, where he formed a formidable pairing with Jakob Chychrun. His defensive game is composed of intelligent positioning and an active stick."

Future Considerations:

An all-round defensemen that plays with poise and confidence in all situations. An explosive skater with a smooth stride and strong edge work who positions himself well on both offense and defense. Has elite hockey hockey sense allows him to make quick, smart plays that helps transition the puck in any situation. He has a heavy shot as well as a solid frame and willing to use it to play a physical game. The kid has top pairing NHL potential.

Elite Prospects:

Dante Fabbro is a dependable two-way defenseman with high offensive upside. He plays with poise and makes mature, high-percentage decisions under pressure. In his own end, he is proactive with both his body and stick, and does everything right to interrupt passing lanes and win back possession. With the puck on his stick, he is mobile at an elite level and can direct plays like a quarterback. He possesses a hard and accurate release on his shot, that he gets off quickly and on-net. All-in-all, a complete defenseman that plays a refined game at both ends of the ice.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree sure if a Provorov type is sitting there i guess take him because when ready either that draft pick or the defenseman he would force how would become a trade chip later but otherwise go forward LW or Center....i think they have enough at RW as of now.

There isn't a Provorov type available with the 1st pick in this draft. I'm not saying he'd go first...but there isn't anyone as good as him in the draft as a defenceman.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

@pilldoc

Fabbro is definitely worth consideration. I'd like Jones or Jost. Stanley? No thanks.

Totally agree...just trying to think of a Plan B in case the for mentioned players are gone.

I would sit back, wait until the 13th or 14th pick is made, then move a 2nd or 3rd and prospect to secure Max Jones. I would have no problem giving up either one of those scenario's to bring Max into the fold. Especially, having extra picks in the 2nd and 3rd...sure you want to use some of those picks...but moving up to secure a wanted player is a real nice use of at least one of those assets. A early to mid 2nd rounder should be able to kick you up 4 or maybe even 5 picks in the 1st.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Adam Mascherin

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/05/10/adam-mascherin-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-43/

The 2013-14 season was one of the worst in the history of the Kitchener Rangers. Sometimes in hockey though, futility is rewarded, and that has happened for the Rangers with the second overall pick in the 2014 OHL Draft, Adam Mascherin. The 16-year-old helped the Rangers immediately, scoring 29 points and making the OHL All Rookie Second Team. However, it was this year that Mascherin really broke out, putting up 35 goals and 46 assists for 81 points in 65 games. He added six goals and six assists for 12 points in nine playoff games before the Rangers would fall in the second round of the playoffs to the powerhouse that is the London Knights. Internationally, Mascherin played for Team Canada Red at the 2015 World Under 17 Hockey Challenge. It was a shocking omission when Mascherin was not invited to play at the BMO CHL Top Prospects game.

Adam Mascherin is a pure sniper. His shot is very heavy, but it is his release that really fools goaltenders and leads to the puck finding the back of the net. Its tough to describe, and you really have to watch the highlights, but Mascherin has a very unique release that surprises the opposition. His shot is deadly accurate, and he is able to pick corners or find the tiniest of openings. Mascherin also has the ability to score goals in tight, with the hand-eye co-ordination to get tip-ins, or pounce on rebounds. He is also an excellent play maker, with good vision and the ability to make a pass through the smallest of openings. Mascherin is undersized in terms of height, coming in at just 5’10” tall, but at 205 pounds, he has a thick and powerful body. This helps him to protect the puck in the cycle game and to win battles along the boards or establish position in front of the opponents net.  He is not afraid to play a gritty game and get involved in the real tough areas of the ice.

Mascherin is a solid skater.  He has good, but not great speed and acceleration, (Coots V2.0?)  but really excels in other areas. Mascherin has great agility and edgework. He can make quick cuts on a dime, and uses this to his full advantage to get by defenders on the rush, or get past them and find open ice without the puck. He also has a strong lower body, and his excellent balance helps him to fight for loose pucks, or skate through checks and cut to the net.

Throughout the season, I’ve lauded Mascherin for his excellent scoring chance production, something which he’s done more than any other OHL/QMJHL first-time NHL draft eligible forward this season. We’ve discussed Mascherin’s wrist shot before, using terms like “pro-ready” and “elite”: it’s lightning fast, accurate, and can be released in tight spaces and with little wind-up. Mascherin tends to set up in prime scoring areas during games, unleashing his wrister from the high slot at even strength. On the powerplay, you can usually find Kitchener’s #23 camping out just to the right side of the net, using his strong base to shield himself and protect the puck, often pulling off a spin-and-fire technique that many NHL power forwards implement. Combined with Mascherin’s ability to get lethal velocity with almost no wind-up makes this move double-deadly. In addition, Mascherin possesses fantastic vision, and he uses his quick release to fire passes cross-ice and through defenders’ legs to open teammates for scoring chances.

Most Scouts have him at the end of Round 1 and top of Round 2.  Definitely a promising player but is he worth it at #18? Though I am reading many scouts are short-changing him and ranking him lower than what he is. 

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Alex DeBrincat (C/RW - Erie, OHL) 

Fabulous numbers!  60 game = 50G and 51A = 101 pts ..... HOWEVER...(there had to be a however, he is on smallish size...5'7" @ 160 lbs.) Granted there is still some room for him to grow but my concern would be him playing Center in the NHL.  Can he be converted to a RW full time?

FYI.... Johnny Gaudreau was listed as 5'6 and 137 lbs. when he was first drafted.

http://flamesnation.ca/2016/5/27/flames-darkhorse-targets-2016-alex-debrincat

"DeBrincat is a small player with a dynamic skill set. He is a pure sniper, scoring over 50 goals in two straight years in the OHL. He is very undersized, but can be very nasty to play against and shies away from no one. He had to deal with injuries at the 2016 World Junior Championship, but that did not hamper his production when he returned to the OHL. He skates well and is very effective around the net. He is hard to contain for such a small player, and has great chemistry with anyone he plays with. A decade player in the OHL"

"Today, DeBrincat is the Canadian Hockey League’s most prolific goal scorer, and there is nothing anyone can point towards to successfully argue that. Blessed with the softest yet quickest set of hands of any 2016 draft eligible, he continues to find ways to make up for the difference in size by identifying the correct time to shift gears and elude coverage. His release is devastatingly rapid, and can even wire off a shot if the pass is behind him or in his skates. DeBrincat may be small by hockey standards, but he’s a tenacious battler who will get into those tough areas around the cage, as well as throw a hit without deviating from his primary objective of scoring goals. He thinks the game at a very high level, and is the last guy you would catch taking a shift off."

"This is something I mentioned as a strength; the fact that he does the majority of his work near the crease. At the OHL level, he's able to out smart and out hustle defenders. At the NHL level, there are 6'4 defenders who can skate as well as he does. Will he be able to have that same sort of success? He might be forced to adapt his game a little bit (say the way a guy like Jeff Skinner has). But, I do most definitely like him as a player and I do believe strongly in his offensive potential at the next level"

"At some point, you have to stop believing that DeBrincat has “lucked out” with his linemates and accept that there’s a reason coaches always stick him with top guys. The 5-foot-7 sniper has played with Connor McDavid, Dylan Strome and Auston Matthews and it’s because he can find space, wire the puck and thrive with elite players – not everyone can."

Definitinely worth looking at but his he a reach @ #18?

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Don't want Debrincat or Mascherin with our 1st pick...but one of them may fall to our 2nd. 

I kind of feel the same way.  No doubt they may end up being very good NHL players, but at #18 I want more.  Flyers pick at #48 and #52 (from Chicago).  Do you stand pat or do you try to move?  I don't think either of them fall that far.  Do you package a deal and try to move?  Are they worth moving up for?

EDIT: My concerns for Mascherin is speed...is he Coots V 2.0? 

My concerns for DeBrincat is his size and how his game translate to the NHL level.

Here's the thing though. If you honestly look at Debrincat and Mascherin, they're as skilled as anyone else available at 18. The only question with the two of them is size. Riley Tufte would be available at 18, but he's a guy with serious hockey questions as to whether or not they'll translate. I can go through the list of players who wrote be available at 18 and honestly, once you get out of the top 10, there's really not much that separates everyone. It reality does become who would be the best fit.

11 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I kind of feel the same way.  No doubt they may end up being very good NHL players, but at #18 I want more.  Flyers pick at #48 and #52 (from Chicago).  Do you stand pat or do you try to move?  I don't think either of them fall that far.  Do you package a deal and try to move?  Are they worth moving up for?

EDIT: My concerns for Mascherin is speed...is he Coots V 2.0? 

My concerns for DeBrincat is his size and how his game translate to the NHL level.

I think I stand pat and take quantity...

9 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Here's the thing though. If you honestly look at Debrincat and Mascherin, they're as skilled as anyone else available at 18. The only question with the two of them is size. Riley Tufte would be available at 18, but he's a guy with serious hockey questions as to whether or not they'll translate. I can go through the list of players who wrote be available at 18 and honestly, once you get out of the top 10, there's really not much that separates everyone. It reality does become who would be the best fit.

With mascherin his size is fine...he's built like a fire hydrant. 

Mascherin is a carbon copy Pat Verbeek type of player. Besides having great skills and great hockey IQ, he plays with a chip on his shoulder and often goes after bigger players to set the tone. He's got a lot of heart and he's the kind of player that others feed off of. I mentioned if he were three or four inches taller, he'd be a top ten pick. No doubt about that at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Home Sweet Home For Steven Swavely

25952624865_e4d385d1a6_o

http://homenewspa.com/2016/06/07/home-sweet-home-steven-swavely/

“As a kid you always dream about playing professional hockey,” Swavely explained via phone to The Home News. “I got a nice taste of that last year with the 15 games that I played. That little taste leaves you wanting more and more so to sign a contract, for me, was pretty cool. I’m just looking forward to the opportunity. When hockey is your job, it’s ideal.”

Growing up in Reading – an hour and a half outside of Philadelphia – makes signing a contract with the Flyers’ AHL affiliate even more meaningful to Swavely and his family.

“I’ve been to Royals, Phantoms and Flyers games. My whole life I’ve been a big, big Flyers fan,” Swavely said, adding, “Being in the organization now and being able to play so close to home – I had about 25-30 family/friends at PPL Center for my first game – it’s a dream come true to be staying local and playing in the Flyers organization.”

I'm rooting for the kid. He's a long shot but with some hard work who knows.

Good to see Alt resigned to a new one year deal he will help get the kids on the Phantoms ready also gives them 3 legit righthand shots down there. I imagine he will play with Morin on he 1st pair again. I hope to see more growth down there now with an actual defense coach in Huffman now.

Morin-Alt

Sanheim-Willcox

Hagg-Pettersson

Lamarche

This is a solid blueline to help guard Stolarz and Lyon.

They should finally return to the playoffs next year.

I seen they are also working on a new deal for Straka.

• pilldoc locked and unpinned this topic

Archived