Ghost as Rookie of the Year?

eleven24

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

On also has to take into account that the streak itself was accomplished under different rules (3-on-3 OT) than the previous record-holder had.

Except that Gostisbehere only scored one point in OT during his streak, and he also got a point in regulation that game, so your caveat doesn't apply.   OT or no OT, Shayne's record stands.

We can still keep an extra large asterisk next to Brodeur's record*, however; with overtime, Bernie would have crushed him even if the Flyers only went .500 in OT.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, TedZep said:

Except that Gostisbehere only scored one point in OT during his streak, and he also got a point in regulation that game, so your caveat doesn't apply.   OT or no OT, Shayne's record stands.

We can still keep an extra large asterisk next to Brodeur's record*, however; with overtime, Bernie would have crushed him even if the Flyers only went .500 in OT.

Good point.

18 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I agree that the Panthers have a better blueline. Full stop.

-Who had the lowest GA/60 on that blueline? Aaron Ekblad.

-Who had the biggest GA decrease when he set foot on the ice? Aaron Ekblad.

-Away from Ekblad, Campbell gave up 1.1 more GA/60 than when paired together. In fact, every defenseman other than Willie Mitchell gave up more goals away from Aaron Ekblad.

-Twenty men played at least a hockey game's worth of minutes with Ekblad last year. Eighteen of them gave up fewer chances against while doing so.

There are drivers and there are passengers. When you're a driver, your teammates do better with you than without. Defensively, Ekblad is not only driving the bus, but parking it and pumping the gas before the next shift starts.

And he's 19.

17 hours ago, TedZep said:

Looking back, he had two - the Washington game you note and the last game in the streak, a goal against Tronno (so, obviously, he already had the record). But it still applies to the OT goals record.

I should have delved into the details or at the very least known that since they only won six games during the streak that not too many points came in OT. My bad.

I guess one thing that you could consider: I believe all but two of his goals either tied the game, or gave the Flyers the lead. That's more relevant to the conversation than his records, imo.

Interesting though that the team scored at a slower rate with him on the ice than with several other defensemen. They were also scored against faster with him than with any other defenseman. Teams scored against MacDonald at the slowest rate. But that doesn't necessarily reflect quality of competition. 

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Touche'.

He was 19 til feb. 

I know i had just seen some say Ek was 19 and Ghost was 23 he turned 23 last month!!! Just saying.:flyer:

Ghost:  NHL: 66 17 29 46 0.70 24  +6 

Ekblad: NHL: 159 27 48 75 0.47 73  +30

:ph34r:

*** stir stir stir ***

And, also, we're talking about Ekblad's rookie year. He was 18 for that. Development doesn't necessarily occur in a straight line, and defense is so hard to learn at the NHL level. He's already there.

48 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

And, also, we're talking about Ekblad's rookie year. He was 18 for that. Development doesn't necessarily occur in a straight line, and defense is so hard to learn at the NHL level. He's already there.

At the end of the day, though, the NHL has set rookie eligibility at 26 years old or younger. Probably in large part due to what you are saying - development doesn't occur in a straight line, and as long as you haven't played professionally before, you should be eligible. But also because of 31-year old Makarov winning the Calder trophy after playing umpteen seasons for CSKA Moscow. Was that his profession? I don't know - it was a functioning division of the army, but it's a bit blurry. In the end, age really should not be a limiting factor for rookie eligibility - it should be whether or not you have played professional hockey before. If a 35 year old dude comes in without having played professionally and blows the doors off of every other 18-year old rookie, why shouldn't he win it?

That's what I find unfortunate about Panarin being a candidate - he does not deserve to be considered a rookie because he has been a paid professional (with hockey being his ONLY occupation) for six seasons already. He has no business being awarded that trophy. Period. It doesn't take away anything from him as a player - he's clearly super talented. But I don't believe him to be a rookie.

Oh well. It *is* the NHL we are talking about. Strange decisions abound.

1 minute ago, brelic said:

At the end of the day, though, the NHL has set rookie eligibility at 26 years old or younger. Probably in large part due to what you are saying - development doesn't occur in a straight line, and as long as you haven't played professionally before, you should be eligible. But also because of 31-year old Makarov winning the Calder trophy after playing umpteen seasons for CSKA Moscow. Was that his profession? I don't know - it was a functioning division of the army, but it's a bit blurry. In the end, age really should not be a limiting factor for rookie eligibility - it should be whether or not you have played professional hockey before. If a 35 year old dude comes in without having played professionally and blows the doors off of every other 18-year old rookie, why shouldn't he win it?

That's what I find unfortunate about Panarin being a candidate - he does not deserve to be considered a rookie because he has been a paid professional (with hockey being his ONLY occupation) for six seasons already. He has no business being awarded that trophy. Period. It doesn't take away anything from him as a player - he's clearly super talented. But I don't believe him to be a rookie.

Oh well. It *is* the NHL we are talking about. Strange decisions abound.

I couldn't agree more.

game-of-thrones-upvote-reddit.gif

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know i had just seen some say Ek was 19 and Ghost was 23 he turned 23 last month!!! Just saying.:flyer:

Ghost:  NHL: 66 17 29 46 0.70 24  +6 

Ekblad: NHL: 159 27 48 75 0.47 73  +30

:ph34r:

*** stir stir stir ***

Wheres Ghosts NHL numbers at Ekblads age?

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Wheres Ghosts NHL numbers at Ekblads age?

He was working on his game...

...so he could out perform the 1st overall pick even in his 2nd year...

...since he was just a 3rd round pick.

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ekblads working on his game too....while in the NHL. 

Since he just turned 20. 

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Whoah... That's a massive development gap when you're comparing a 22-year old rookie to an 18-year old one. At the age range Ghost spent working on his game in Schenectady, in a rink that holds 2,000 people, Ekblad was already a force in the best league in the world.

But even that. Outperform?

There's already a big defensive gap between them in favor of Ekblad. And offense?

Points/60

Ghost: 1.10

Ekblad: 0.96

It's not exactly night and day there, and that's (again) with a big development gap between them. Do I think that Ghost has a higher offensive ceiling? He very well could, with his skill set. A smart coach will load him with PP time and limit his zone starts against big forwards in his own end, so the offensive numbers will probably be there.

14 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ekblads working on his game too....while in the NHL. 

Since he just turned 20. 

Ha!

You put it more succinctly than did I.

23 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Whoah... That's a massive development gap when you're comparing a 22-year old rookie to an 18-year old one. At the age range Ghost spent working on his game in Schenectady, in a rink that holds 2,000 people, Ekblad was already a force in the best league in the world.

But even that. Outperform?

There's already a big defensive gap between them in favor of Ekblad. And offense?

Points/60

Ghost: 1.10

Ekblad: 0.96

It's not exactly night and day there, and that's (again) with a big development gap between them. Do I think that Ghost has a higher offensive ceiling? He very well could, with his skill set. A smart coach will load him with PP time and limit his zone starts against big forwards in his own end, so the offensive numbers will probably be there.

@flyercanuck

Well when was 20 he was busy earning an education and carrying his college team to the national title...

Image result for ncaa hockey national championship trophy

.....which he won the tourney MVP in. The not so straight line you were referring to??

I notice Ekblad's trophy case is empty!!!???

:toast:

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

@flyercanuck

Well when was 20 he was busy earning an education and carrying his college team to the national title...

Image result for ncaa hockey national championship trophy

.....which he won the tourney MVP in. The not so straight line you were referring to??

I notice Ekblad's trophy case is empty!!!???

:toast:

That's great. When Ekblad was 16 he helped carry the Colts to within 1/10 of a second in game 7 of the OHL championship...4 rounds of best of sevens. Glad Ghosts team could win those 4 playoff games. Ekblads team did that in the first round. 

When Ghost was winning that college MVP, well, Ekblad, 2 seasons into his NHL career, isn't as old as Ghost was then yet. And he has won a Calder trophy. In the best league in the world. So theres that. :beer:

58 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

That's great. When Ekblad was 16 he helped carry the Colts to within 1/10 of a second in game 7 of the OHL championship...4 rounds of best of sevens. Glad Ghosts team could win those 4 playoff games. Ekblads team did that in the first round. 

When Ghost was winning that college MVP, well, Ekblad, 2 seasons into his NHL career, isn't as old as Ghost was then yet. And he has won a Calder trophy. In the best league in the world. So theres that. :beer:

But he didn't win it all though now did he?

Keep trying!:hockey-referee-smiley-emoticon:

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

But he didn't win it all though now did he?

Keep trying!:hockey-referee-smiley-emoticon:

You said his trophy case is "empty."

Well, "empty" except for the Calder Trophy.

Who's "trying" here? :hocky:

46 minutes ago, radoran said:

You said his trophy case is "empty."

Well, "empty" except for the Calder Trophy.

Who's "trying" here? :hocky:

That's true rad...but then you've always been pretty heavily biased toward the OHL guys. :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

Archived