Couturier out 4 weeks with LBI

King Knut

A Month.  Has anyone read what's actually wrong?  I assume the initial injury wasn't healed and now has to be repaired... whatever that mystery injury was.

Has anyone heard?

They beat the Caps without him, so if it's just a matter of making similar adjustments, maybe it's possible they don't go 3-12 for February without him?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fairness, Panaccio is ultimately paid by the same people who own the team so he's not going to be revealing anything even if he knows it.

See: Mason, Steve from earlier this season

Don't consider "Comcast SportsNet" a legitimate "news" organization when it comes to reporting on the team owned by Comcast. It's like expecting in-depth "analysis" of the Eagles from Dave Spadaro.

And most (if not all) of the other guys don't want to be shunned by the organization by not parroting their "Lower Body/Upper Body" descriptions and making more of it.

Of course, the silly thing is really that if SOMEONE knows then within the league EVERYBODY will eventually know, making the whole "don't want to make the injury a target" nonsense moot. (It's usually more secretive during the playoffs).

56 minutes ago, AndyS said:

My guess is that it is some kind of broken or fractured bone.

For them to come right out & say that it will be a month, doesn't sound like a muscle issue.

Just my guess.

Either it's a re-aggravation of whatever kept him out before the all star break, which I have to assume if it was a break, they would have known about then (X rays are pretty easy to read) so therefore a muscle or tendon strain that's now more of a pull or sprain OR it's a new injury entirely.  

54 minutes ago, icehole said:

Is this another injury that nobody saw?  Are we just going to stick with LBI and nobody will do any inveatigating?  Thanks pinoch! 

Well that's the worst case scenario... that they're lying and it's a concussion that he thought he was over but experienced some lingering symptoms from over the last two games.

I didn't think they could lie about that though what with the "protocols" and everything.

55 minutes ago, radoran said:

In fairness, Panaccio is ultimately paid by the same people who own the team so he's not going to be revealing anything even if he knows it.

See: Mason, Steve from earlier this season

Don't consider "Comcast SportsNet" a legitimate "news" organization when it comes to reporting on the team owned by Comcast. It's like expecting in-depth "analysis" of the Eagles from Dave Spadaro.

And most (if not all) of the other guys don't want to be shunned by the organization by not parroting their "Lower Body/Upper Body" descriptions and making more of it.

Of course, the silly thing is really that if SOMEONE knows then within the league EVERYBODY will eventually know, making the whole "don't want to make the injury a target" nonsense moot. (It's usually more secretive during the playoffs).

There is no need to know i understand this it's more for the players safety than just to keep it from the public, you don't want other teams targering the injury...right or wrong it happens teams will do whatever it takes to gain an advantage. And i know you know this so i'm not trying to edjumakate you just piggy back on the media/comcast thing and agreeing comcast owns the Flyers and i would expect full disclosure.

So now that it's the off season, what do we do?

I have a plan for next season.  My plan will put the flyers about $70mill (give or take a couple mill) below the salary cap and Hak's job will be a lot easier.  We won't have umberger or read on the team anymore either.

My plan is to get rid of every player besides couturier.  Think about it...the team can't possibly win without him.  He is the flyers.  Why do we need bums like Giroux, Voracek, simmonds, ghost, schenn, and mason on the team?  They're useless without #14 on the ice.

Damn, a month. That sucks. Hopefully it's a simple fracture and nothing complicated. He's been one of my fav Flyers for awhile now; it's fun watching his game open up, see him take more responsibility in the O zone (been gratifying too). I just love this guy's career arc and the Flyers' coaches deserve a lot of credit for his steady progress.

Certainly going to make it more difficult to gain ground in the East, though the schedule over the next month isn't atrocious - Rangers twice, Washington, Ducks, Sabres, Devils twice, Habs, Leafs, Canes, Wild, Yotes, Flames, Oilers, Jackets.

I guess Gagner will slot back in at center on the 2nd? I don't get bringing up Cousins over dressing Weal, unless Weal really isn't showing anything in practice at all. I assume Cousins isn't going to come up and sit on the bench. Although who knows?

7 hours ago, icehole said:

So now that it's the off season, what do we do?

I have a plan for next season.  My plan will put the flyers about $70mill (give or take a couple mill) below the salary cap and Hak's job will be a lot easier.  We won't have umberger or read on the team anymore either.

My plan is to get rid of every player besides couturier.  Think about it...the team can't possibly win without him.  He is the flyers.  Why do we need bums like Giroux, Voracek, simmonds, ghost, schenn, and mason on the team?  They're useless without #14 on the ice.

I really hate where the salary structure of the NHL is going.

On the other hand, it's great to see guys playing at this level rewarded for their sacrifice as a part of the team.

Regardless, over the next six years, if Couturier doesn't improve anywhere from where he is and stays at the level he is, he's worth the money.

If he turns into a regular 20/50 guy as a 2nd line center he's underpaid right now and will be severely underpaid before the next lockout.

7 hours ago, radoran said:

I really hate where the salary structure of the NHL is going.

On the other hand, it's great to see guys playing at this level rewarded for their sacrifice as a part of the team.

Regardless, over the next six years, if Couturier doesn't improve anywhere from where he is and stays at the level he is, he's worth the money.

If he turns into a regular 20/50 guy as a 2nd line center he's underpaid right now and will be severely underpaid before the next lockout.

It could be a good deal and he's starting to play up to his potential.

These flyers fans need to check their fan cards though.  It's the Philadelphia flyers not the Philadelphia couturiers.  He's a valuable player but he doesn't make the team function.

I hate this 2-6-1 argument.  What was their record before his first injury?  What was their record when he came back from injury before ghost was called up?  It's a shame that the flyers have a strong Calder candidate on the team that has turned this team around and we spend so much time talking about a player who has mostly underperformed but has had a strong month.  I believe ghost is the real reason the flyers have somewhat turned it around.  With ghost and without couturier the flyers are 1-2-0...can we start with that record instead of 2-6-1?

If the team stays healthy besides couturier over the next month and they bomb, then we can talk about his importance to the team.  I can't believe what I'm reading though.  Everyone is giving up on the season and some people are even hoping we might get up to a high draft pick again.

22 minutes ago, icehole said:

These flyers fans need to check their fan cards though.  It's the Philadelphia flyers not the Philadelphia couturiers.  He's a valuable player but he doesn't make the team function.

I hate this 2-6-1 argument.  What was their record before his first injury?  What was their record when he came back from injury before ghost was called up?  It's a shame that the flyers have a strong Calder candidate on the team that has turned this team around and we spend so much time talking about a player who has mostly underperformed but has had a strong month.  I believe ghost is the real reason the flyers have somewhat turned it around.  With ghost and without couturier the flyers are 1-2-0...can we start with that record instead of 2-6-1?

If the team stays healthy besides couturier over the next month and they bomb, then we can talk about his importance to the team.  I can't believe what I'm reading though.  Everyone is giving up on the season and some people are even hoping we might get up to a high draft pick again.

It's more than just Couturier being the second line center though. You're strictly looking at numbers. If you look at what's asked of Couturier, there's no one on the club that can do what he does. Giroux, as great as he is, is nowhere near the defensive performer that Couturier is. That's a fact. There's nobody on the team that gets as many defensive zone starts as Couturier does. That's a fact. Add in the fact that he's finally been given an opportunity to perform in an offensive manner and he's been delivering is just an another huge blow to the fact that he's injured. I get that you don't like Couturier, but don't dismiss his value to the club. He's an incredibly important performer with a role that no one else on the club can fill.

56 minutes ago, icehole said:

I think they're both important young pieces to the team going forward. And I'm pretty sure just as much praise has been given to Ghost as to Couturier. I don't get why you get upset over one guys positive attention over anothers....they both play for the same team.

I'm not giving up on the season...I always wanted a high pick. I figure one more year of adding one or two top prospects and then start thinking playoffs. But that's just me.

Archived