Alexei Kovalev Wants To Make A Comeback In The NHL

JagerMeister

Alexei Kovalev wants to make a comeback in the NHL

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=800357

Seems Jagr has reignited something  "I'd comeback right away, if Jagr can do it, so can I"

Can't blame him, what Jagr is doing right now is truly inspirational to younger and older hockey players alike.

Especially with someone like Kovalev, who as far as I'm aware, doesn't have a family, and both excelled at maintaining their physical strength.

Kovalev has rare talent.  He could have been one of the best players of his era.  He could have been, but wasn't.  

An enigma.   Once in awhile, he showed fire.  When he was motivated (by whatever motivated him), he was dominant.  

He didn't lack guts.   Nobody intimidated him.

A rum character.

Just now, blocker said:

Kovalev has rare talent.  He could have been one of the best players of his era.  He could have been, but wasn't.  

An enigma.   Once in awhile, he showed fire.  When he was motivated (by whatever motivated him), he was dominant.  

He didn't lack guts.   Nobody intimidated him.

A rum character.

I think this perception of him is highly misleading, yes he possessed all the physical tools for an exceptional player, but it was his intellectual game that didn't elevate him to a HHOF player. He would excessively stickhandle with no other intention, He simply didn't apply it has intelligently as he could. That's why Pavel Datysuk was showcased in highlights more frequently and Kovalev was not. Because his stickhandling would result to nothing accomplished.

6 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Again, thankful Homer is no longer the GM or we would be seeing him on G's wing for the next 6 years!

I disagree....Homer would have the cap so effed up that we couldn't afford to sign anyone for the next decade....not even an ELC.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I disagree....Homer would have the cap so effed up that we couldn't afford to sign anyone for the next decade....not even an ELC.

C'mon Canuck, you know Homer would have immediately cleared cap space to get him by trading Jake, Simmer & Coots, lol.   Giroux with Kovalev and BUMBerger!!

I have a feeling that most of the Pens fans on the board will agree with me here, as I as a Senators fan can relate to what they saw from him. Yes, Kovalev was naturally gifted with an incredible amount of talent, but he was also one of the laziest players I've ever seen. He could produce when he wanted to, but there were too many times that he just didn't seem to care. The problem with him is that you never know if you'll be able to count on him when you need to.

As @yave1964 said, I'd pass.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 7:52 PM, ScottM said:

I have a feeling that most of the Pens fans on the board will agree with me here, as I as a Senators fan can relate to what they saw from him. Yes, Kovalev was naturally gifted with an incredible amount of talent, but he was also one of the laziest players I've ever seen. He could produce when he wanted to, but there were too many times that he just didn't seem to care. The problem with him is that you never know if you'll be able to count on him when you need to.

As @yave1964 said, I'd pass.

I don't think he was lazy, but inconsistent. And it doesn`t help that his temporary Ottawa stint was one of his worst...

Again, I think he was excessively flashy. He would make the move that would excite the fans more then he would make the intelligent move. That, and he didn`t apply his skills as effectively. I just don't think lazy is the most accurate term for Kovalev, his playoff stats are actually better then his regular season stats, he maintained a high level of fitness. These are qualities that differentiate him from being a player like Semin, a player who is also labeled lazy.

I'm gonna go right ahead and predict the comeback will not take place with the Islanders. One of the WORST long term deals in NHL history. I think the Isles had to pay him 5 or 6 years after he left the NHL...I don't see this old stiff cutting the mustard on even the weakest NHL rosters. Count me among the lazy voters....he was brutal. Total and complete waste of talent.

13 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I'm gonna go right ahead and predict the comeback will not take place with the Islanders. One of the WORST long term deals in NHL history. I think the Isles had to pay him 5 or 6 years after he left the NHL...I don't see this old stiff cutting the mustard on even the weakest NHL rosters. Count me among the lazy voters....he was brutal. Total and complete waste of talent.

....You mean Alexei Yashin?

Archived