Kadri Raises NHL Eyebrows With Gesture

kadri-gesture.jpg

News link from NBC Sports:

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/02/10/report-kadris-throat-slashing-gesture-being-reviewed-by-nhl/

And from the Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2016/02/10/kadri-throat-slash-gets-nhls-attention.html

So....during the Leafs - Flames game, Calgary's Mark Giordano delivers a devastating, yet clean looking, hit to one Mr. Nazem Kadri, who, understandably, was upset about it. I mean, it's embarrassing and it flippin hurts (the ego as well as the body).

Honestly, I take no issue with Kadri not liking getting blasted like that. He shouldn't. No one should.

But the throat slashing thing on the bench towards Giordano? Unnecessary.

Granted, it was probably his adrenaline driving him instead of his brain (Kadri isn't much of one for letting his brain be in charge anyways), but that gesture has now caught the attention of the NHL offices.

Players in the past have gotten in trouble for such a gesture, so it stands to reason Kadri may face some sort of penalty for doing it as well.

Personally, while I find the gesture in poor taste, believe it or not, I really don't have a huge problem with it. To me, it's the same as a guy talking trash to another after some physical altercation. What's the difference between the throat slash and some choice words involving someone's mother and the F word dropped in for good measure?

Not too much IMO....and I don't believe guys get in trouble for throwing out a few cuss words at each other on the ice after a big hit or other altercation.

I am not condoning this "throat slash" thing by any means...just saying I don't have this outrageous feeling about how bad that was.

At the same time, I can see how the league can look at this and think, "This is bad for our image" or "We've punished guys in the past for this, we need to act no this one too"...and finally, "If Kadri retaliates and injures Giordano (or another Flames member in the future), we will look like we could have put a stop to that before it ever happened".

Those are all valid concerns if you are the NHL.

But what I DO find egregious about Kadri is the fact that HE is a repeat offender in the illegal hit department (and again, the Giordano hit actually looked legal to me)......and he is now all up in arms because Giordano laid him out.

There was an incident with an Edmonton player some time back where Kadri clipped the guys head while going to the boards with him....and then, one I was witness to, Kadri ran Minnesota goalie Nik Backstrom, hitting HIM int he head as he skated past him....and in the SAME FLIPPING game, he goes and boards the Wild's Mikael Granlund.

If I dig around some more, I could probably come up with others.

Bottom line here is, Kadri, IMO, is a complete idiot.

Just goes to show, Karma really is a a you-know-what.

And the fact that the Giordano hit on this repeat offender blunderhead was clean, is just icing on the cake.

Man up Kadri.

I get you didn't like the hit, but you had something like this coming for a long time, my friend.

8 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Bottom line here is, Kadri, IMO, is a complete idiot.

Just goes to show, Karma really is a a you-know-what.

Kadri is an idiot. For all the skills he has he has developed quite the proclivity for taking stupid/dangerous penalties.

Not smart.

I don't understand it, apparently nowadays you are not allowed to deliver good solid clean hits without some moron taking exception. Every Panther on the ice was so busy trying to even the score with Abdelkader for a clean hit that they forgot there was a Hockey game and lost 3-0. Now this.

I am not talking Simmonds retaliating for a high stick (though he should have dropped the damn gloves and beat McDonough to a pulp, leaving the gloves on is chicken S&^% IMHO and happens way too much) I am talking about players who get drilled with a good solid clean hit who respond by doing something stupid. Contact is part of the game. If you skate with your chin down someone is going to tag you. Don't like it? Tough. Play the game right, if you take exception to a clean hit, go hit someone else or hit the culprit. Throat slashing is beyond stupid and he will probably face supplementary discipline.

13 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I am not talking Simmonds retaliating for a high stick (though he should have dropped the damn gloves and beat McDonough to a pulp, leaving the gloves on is chicken S&^% IMHO and happens way too much)

The problem is Simmonds already has 2 INSTIGATOR penalties and would be automatically suspended for the 3rd. THAT is why he did not just drop the gloves and destroy MacDonagh. Yet another reason I FREAKIN' HATE the instigator penalty.........

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

if you take exception to a clean hit, go hit someone else or hit the culprit. Throat slashing is beyond stupid and he will probably face supplementary discipline.

^^^^^

This.

I completely get that big hits can't go unanswered (you don't want the other team thinking you are softer than Phil Kessel's underside after a big meal after all).....but do it WITHIN the game!

Guy blasts you or a teammate. Ok, fine...find a LEGAL way to blast him or his teammate back and continue to play the game.

1 hour ago, flyerrod said:

The problem is Simmonds already has 2 INSTIGATOR penalties and would be automatically suspended for the 3rd. THAT is why he did not just drop the gloves and destroy MacDonagh. Yet another reason I FREAKIN' HATE the instigator penalty.........

THAT is the first I heard that he has two instigators already. Great minds think alike, the instigator is wretched.

11 hours ago, flyerrod said:

And he would have turtled anyway and not fought him.......

Getting back to Kadri....

Does anyone really feel bothered by the gesture he made? Until you actually chop someone's head off, I don't see a big issue with gesturing such to an opponent during the heat of battle. I'm happy to see someone that cares for a change. This group of players hasn't shown any emotion for years. 

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Did two different threads get merged? We went from Kadri to Simmonds and instigator rule lol.  :o

Sorry, my bad. I should have passed that info to yave1964 in the other thread.

58 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Does anyone really feel bothered by the gesture he made? Until you actually chop someone's head off, I don't see a big issue with gesturing such to an opponent during the heat of battle. I'm happy to see someone that cares for a change. This group of players hasn't shown any emotion for years. 

I think it was childish/dickish and stupid and the fine he got is probably appropriate. At least he didn't start in with the terrorist bleating to go with it...... If he wants to show emotion, go out and legally check your antagonist into next week in the course of the game. At that point grin and wink at him as it will infuriate him more than any throat slashing gesture ever will.

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I did think it was going to get some attention when he did it. I wonder if he isn't sitting out tonight as a penalty from the Leafs. I'm not suggesting that, I'm just saying maybe the new management didn't like what he did, so they 'suspended' him? They are saying he's out because of a lower body injury so maybe he was injured some other time during the last game.

Maybe they're just afraid he might score?? :P

3 hours ago, flyerrod said:

Sorry, my bad. I should have passed that info to yave1964 in the other thread.

I think it was childish/dickish and stupid and the fine he got is probably appropriate. At least he didn't start in with the terrorist bleating to go with it...... If he wants to show emotion, go out and legally check your antagonist into next week in the course of the game. At that point grin and wink at him as it will infuriate him more than any throat slashing gesture ever will.

No problemo. :)

I know it's childish/dickish to make gestures to an opponent, but it kind of goes with the territory of sports. Throat slashes, crotch chops, birds, etc. If the referee sees it, why not just hand out a 2-minute minor penalty for "unsportsmanlike conduct" and that's the end of it. Do players need fines and suspensions for this stuff? Meh, I don't know. I'm undecided. :ermm:

4 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

First off, thank you for getting us back to Kadri .....good gawd, did I just say its a GOOD thing to get back to Kadri!!?? :lol:

Anyways, I already stated that I am basically indifferent to the whole gesture thing....he can do a cow milking motion for all I care.

It is ALL stupid anyways. Like I also stated...guys are verbally a lot more abusive towards one another during altercations and general heated disagreements on the ice anyways.

But, I can see the league's stance on this. It's a black eye for them.

Nevermind that the league already has enough black eyes to make them look like a roomful of Rocky Raccoons, but they just don't want another one in the form of Kadri's antics.

That all said, Kadri himself is a player who doesn't exactly play with a whole lot of respect for the well being of his opponents, so the fact that he is up in arms about getting hammered the way he did, and follows it up with the silly gesture is hilarious to me.

Maybe if Nazem Kadri, during the course of his tenure with the Leafs, had been more focused on X's and O's, overall team strategy against a given opponent, or even just a general rah rah leader type, then perhaps he wouldn't have had his head down, he wouldn't have gotten hit hard the way he did, and maybe the Leafs the last few seasons would actually be winning more games because they have a fearless leader like Kadri showing them the way on the ice.

But no......the guy's own personal honor was besmirched with that "evil hit" by Mark Giordano, and by all that is Puckly, Kadri HAS to show him that next time, Giordano will be sharing a room with Ichabod Crane at Headless Hotel.........:ahappy:

3 hours ago, BluPuk said:

I did think it was going to get some attention when he did it. I wonder if he isn't sitting out tonight as a penalty from the Leafs. I'm not suggesting that, I'm just saying maybe the new management didn't like what he did, so they 'suspended' him? They are saying he's out because of a lower body injury so maybe he was injured some other time during the last game.

Maybe they're just afraid he might score?? :P

Isn't this why we have an "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalty in hockey? I think the league can just use the existing rules to handle things like this. The fines don't mean anything to the players and a suspension is overkill for something like this. A simple 2-minute penalty in-game takes care of it.  :)

16 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

First off, thank you for getting us back to Kadri .....good gawd, did I just say its a GOOD thing to get back to Kadri!!?? :lol:

Anyways, I already stated that I am basically indifferent to the whole gesture thing....he can do a cow milking motion for all I care.

It is ALL stupid anyways. Like I also stated...guys are verbally a lot more abusive towards one another during altercations and general heated disagreements on the ice anyways.

But, I can see the league's stance on this. It's a black eye for them.

Nevermind that the league already has enough black eyes to make them look like a roomful of Rocky Raccoons, but they just don't want another one in the form of Kadri's antics.

That all said, Kadri himself is a player who doesn't exactly play with a whole lot of respect for the well being of his opponents, so the fact that he is up in arms about getting hammered the way he did, and follows it up with the silly gesture is hilarious to me.

Maybe if Nazem Kadri, during the course of his tenure with the Leafs, had been more focused on X's and O's, overall team strategy against a given opponent, or even just a general rah rah leader type, then perhaps he wouldn't have had his head down, he wouldn't have gotten hit hard the way he did, and maybe the Leafs the last few seasons would actually be winning more games because they have a fearless leader like Kadri showing them the way on the ice.

But no......the guy's own personal honor was besmirched with that "evil hit" by Mark Giordano, and by all that is Puckly, Kadri HAS to show him that next time, Giordano will be sharing a room with Ichabod Crane at Headless Hotel.........:ahappy:

LOL. :cool[1]:

There's a bit of Darcy Tucker in Nazem Kadri. Maybe he is becoming the skilled agitator of the Leafs? :biggrin:

1 minute ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

LOL. :cool[1]:

There's a bit of Darcy Tucker in Nazem Kadri. Maybe he is becoming the skilled agitator of the Leafs? :biggrin:

Darcy Tucker....NOT a good role model...lol.

Look, I have absolutely NO problem with agitators.

In fact, I think every team needs one or two of those.

But no need to be a complete and dangerous moron who puts the livlihood of his fellow players at risk, or, be the type of twit who follows the Sean Avery school of agitation either.

Some GOOD examples of agitators who are good for their teams (like'm or not) are Anaheim's Ryan Kesler, Vancouver's Brandon Prust, Tampa Bay's Ben Bishop (yes, Mr. Bishop DOES like to provoke forwards to try and draw penalties), Pittsburgh's Patric Hornqvist, and Minnesota's Nate Prosser.

All those guys, to varying degrees, really can get under the skin of the opposition, and they may follow that up with some real tough physical play, or an unnecessary yet NON lethal poke to the legs or ribs to get the opponent EXTRA steamy....and serve other purposes for their teams, whether that is coverage, stopping pucks, or playmaking.

Kadri needs to find his niche...... Gallows quartermaster should NOT be it, however...

10 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Isn't this why we have an "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalty in hockey? I think the league can just use the existing rules to handle things like this. The fines don't mean anything to the players and a suspension is overkill for something like this. A simple 2-minute penalty in-game takes care of it.  :)

Yah, I agree. I think the refs are 'over coached' these days..... A two minute penalty would have been good.

Archived