Update: Del Zotto Done for the Year, Andrew MacDonald Recalled

AlaskaFlyerFan

DelZotto injured his wrist and will be out long term.  Not good.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-left-sour-taste-after-overtime-loss-new-jersey-devils

Flyers left with 'sour taste' after overtime loss to Devils

February 13, 2016, 5:30 pm

Email

ap-flyers-michalneuvirth-bummer-devils.j

Michal Neuvirth made 22 saves in the Flyers' 2-1 overtime loss to the New Jersey Devils on Saturday. (AP)

panaccio_byline_new.png

BOX SCORE

It was a historic afternoon at the Wells Fargo Center for Flyers defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere.

And a very costly afternoon as well for the Flyers, who lost a crucial 2-1 overtime decision to the New Jersey Devils in a game they needed to win in regulation given they're chasing the Devils for a wild-card berth (see Instant Replay).

It was costly not just in the standings, but on the roster as well.

Michael Del Zotto reinjured his ailing left wrist and, according to general manager Ron Hextall, will be gone “weeks”.

Del Zotto was hurt late in the game on a collision at the net.

After the game, Hextall recalled defenseman Andrew MacDonald from the Lehigh Valley Phantoms.

As for Gostisbehere, he set two rookie records with a power-play goal in the third period (see video). He now holds the Flyers’ franchise rookie point streak mark of 11 straight games, which he shared with Mikael Renberg (1993-94).

The 11 games also set an NHL point streak record for rookie defensemen, breaking the mark he shared with Colorado’s Barry Beck (1977-78).

“It’s more about a team game for us,” the 22-year-old Gostisbehere said. “We’re trying to make the playoffs here. It’s a big thing. It’s a little sour taste in our mouth right now because we needed those two points.”

The Devils now have a five-point lead on the Flyers.

“It’s not crushing, we’ve got more games left in the season,” Wayne Simmonds said. “The first period wasn’t ideal. It was a tight game.

“I thought we played well, played great in the second and third. Overtime? We got a penalty unfortunately and that’s the game.”

Jakub Voracek lightly touched Andy Greene in OT on a play at the net and was whistled for a hook. Michal Neuvirth made the save, but Voracek went to the box anyway.

Adam Henrique scored at 2:58 from the right circle to end it (see highlights).

“It was good play, a good screen in front of me,” said Neuvirth, who had missed five games with a lower-body injury. “I picked up [the shot] too late. It was already in the net.”

You don’t see too many calls in overtime. Again, Voracek barely touched Greene, whose shot was unimpeded.

"They call a penalty on us and miss one right before,” Simmonds said. “That’s what happens, I guess.”

Had their first period been better, the Flyers might have won this game.

New Jersey was quicker on the puck throughout the period. Every loose puck belonged to the Devils. The few that resulted in a challenge, the Devils won handily.

Their 2-2-1 trap stifled the Flyers on the breakout, while their power play — ranked seventh in the NHL — frustrated the Flyers. New Jersey got a power-play goal from Joseph Blandisi who went shortside on Neuvirth, who failed to protect the right post.

“They were a little quicker to everything in the first period than we were,” Flyers coach Dave Hakstol said. “We made the adjustment as we went through the second and third. You knew this was going to be a game without much time and space. And there really wasn’t.”

Devils goalie Cory Schneider, who doesn’t have sterling numbers against the Flyers, was unconscious during the second period, as Hakstol’s club finally awakened from its coma and began to press the attack.

Just ask Claude Giroux, who had a great setup from Gostisbehere and was robbed. How ironic that it took an angry Giroux to help tie the game in the third period.

Giroux took a high-stick to the face and had to leave the ice for a four-minute power play that quickly dissipated when Simmonds went off for interference — the second time this week that scenario unfolded against the Flyers.

When Giroux returned with the power play dying down, he sent a pass to Gostisbehere just feet inside the blue line. Gostisbehere's cannon shot tied it.

It was Gostisbehere's 10th goal of the season and 17th power-play point.

“It was very important for us to win,” Gostisbehere said. “We’ve got two games in hand and they’re a team ahead of us in the standings. We definitely needed two points out of it.”

The good feelings faded when the Devils pushed the game into OT. They got what they wanted.

“Obviously, one point is not enough,” Neuvirth said. “It is what it is. Another big game tomorrow.”

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/michael-del-zotto-out-indefinitely-left-wrist-injury-andrew-macdonald-recalled-lehigh-valley-phantoms

If the Flyers are going to make a legit push for the playoffs, they’ll have to do it now without defenseman Michael Del Zotto.

During the 2-1 overtime loss Saturday to the Devils (see Instant Replay), Del Zotto reinjured his left wrist — this was worse than before — and will miss “weeks,” according to general manager Ron Hextall.

The veteran defenseman was chasing Kyle Palmieri from behind, collided with him, then both players landed atop goalie Michal Neuvirth with 7:30 left in regulation.

Neuvirth was unscathed. Del Zotto did not return.

“It’s been an ongoing thing,” Hextall said of Del Zotto’s injury.

He initially injured his wrist Dec. 21 against St. Louis and missed two games. Since then, it’s been heavily taped and he has periodically reinjured it although he didn’t miss any games.

It’s not known whether a fracture is involved or if it’s a severe sprain.

Del Zotto will go on injured reserve and the club recalled Andrew MacDonald from the Phantoms for Sunday’s game in New York against the Rangers.

“At this point it looks like he’s going to be out long term,” Hextall said. “We don’t know for sure yet so we will get back to you when we have something more definitive.”

The Flyers appear to have the salary cap space but not the roster space which is why Del Zotto would have to go on injured reserve now.

Del Zotto impacts all facets of the Flyers' game.

“He’s taken on a real two-way role for us,” coach Dave Hakstol said of Del Zotto. “He’s been a good penalty killer, he gets a chunk of every PK, with that development we get right back at it [Sunday], so we’ll take a couple of hours and evaluate things and decide how we put the pairs together as we go into [Sunday's] game.”

Del Zotto had developed solid chemistry with rookie Shayne Gostisbehere over the last eight games.

“They haven’t been together all that long, but since they have been, they’ve done a pretty good job together and no question I think for a guy to have a good veteran as your partner, it helps your game,” Hakstol said.

Hakstol wouldn’t bite on whether MacDonald was the call-up, but the Flyers wanted to get him up here again before the season ended.

Del Zotto averages more ice time than any other Flyer — 23:28. Hakstol said some of those extra minutes will now be portioned out to other players.

As for MacDonald being the call-up, Hakstol wouldn’t bite.

“Well if he’s coming and if he’s in, he’s a good veteran player,” Hakstol said of MacDonald. “It’s a little early to give you an answer to that, I have to be honest with you. That’s all part of the next few hours as we evaluate everything and what our lineup will look like [Sunday].”

41 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

Damnit now there goes our shot at drafting Austin Matthews. Crap even worse we might win the cup now with the call up. CRAP!!!!

What's this lunacy your raving. Austin Matthews belongs to the Oilers, always has...

@AlaskaFlyerFan

Good think DZ held out long enough to help get Ghost is rookie record.  ;)

But seriously, these two have had some solid chemistry together, Del Zotto will me missed.  Maybe McDonald will play well enough to get him traded at the deadline.  

44 minutes ago, JagerMeister said:

What's this lunacy your raving. Austin Matthews belongs to the Oilers, always has...

Damnit forgive me for my ignorance and arrogance on the matter! For my punishment I will receive 30 repeat video renderings on when the Flyers traded there 1st rd pick for Eminger instead of drafting Carlson.....

6 hours ago, hf101 said:

@AlaskaFlyerFan

Good think DZ held out long enough to help get Ghost is rookie record.  ;)

But seriously, these two have had some solid chemistry together, Del Zotto will me missed.  Maybe McDonald will play well enough to get him traded at the deadline.  

not with the rumors of the cap going down $4m

If we are lucky, the league will grant each team a compliance buy-out since the cap would be going down quite a bit

2 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

not with the rumors of the cap going down $4m

I hadn't heard that.  Last I heard was the possibility of going up to a maximum of $3M out of the Board of Govenors meeting in December.

10 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

“At this point it looks like he’s going to be out long term,” Hextall said.

Yikes.....their screwed....you subtract MDZ and add Mcdud........yep that top 5 pick in the upcoming draft may certainly be possible now...

If one looks a the standing, there really is not that much difference between #12 (where the Flyers are at currently) and where #5 is which is currently owned by Winnipeg. A whopping 5 points. (see below)

19 Philadelphia 54  24  20  10 58  
20 Montréal 56  27  25    4 58  
21 Arizona 55  25  24    6 56  
22 Minnesota 55  23  22  10 56  
23 Vancouver 55  22  21  12 56  
24 Ottawa 57  25  26    6 56  
25 Calgary 54  25  26    3 53  
26 Winnipeg 55 25  27    3 53  
27 Columbus 57 23  28    6 52  
28 Buffalo 56 22  28    6 50  
29 Edmonton 57 22  29    6 50  
30 Toronto 54 20  25    9 49

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

If one looks a the standing, there really is not that much difference between #12 (where the Flyers are at currently) and where #5 is which is currently owned by Winnipeg. A whopping 5 points. (see below)

19 Philadelphia 54 24 20  10 58  
20 Montréal 56 27 25    4 58  
21 Arizona 55 25 24    6 56  
22 Minnesota 55 23 22  10 56  
23 Vancouver 55 22 21  12 56  
24 Ottawa 57 25 26    6 56  
25 Calgary 54 25 26    3 53  
26 Winnipeg 55 25 27    3 53  
27 Columbus 57 23 28    6 52  
28 Buffalo 56 22 28    6 50  
29 Edmonton 57 22 29    6 50  
30 Toronto 54 20 25    9 49

Yeah no Coots and now MDZ and you sprinkle in some Mcdud........and Toronto may have some competition in the Auston Matthews sweeps now.............

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah no Coots and now MDZ and you sprinkle in some Mcdud........and Toronto may have some competition in the Auston Matthews sweeps now.............

Now by now means am I arguing that the Flyers tank. (I am NOT opening that can of worms). With Coots and now MDZ out with injuries, this has significant consequences. This team has not played the same since Coots went out. (See other thread on the subject). A minor losing streak and some winning streaks by other teams and viola'...this team is suddenly top 5 as far as draft goes. Lest us also remember, the lottery this year now includes the top 3 spots. So anything is possible.

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Now by now means am I arguing that the Flyers tank.

Oh i know. Let's face at the end of the day even when they were healthy this group struggled to score. Already down their best defensive forward and now you lose your #2 Dman and add a guy who had sucked and been demoted back to the lineup....and this thing could just sink like a rock to the bottom.

They are trying their best but in the end their best just isn't good enough. Hence their record....which will continue to slide in the wrong direction...

40 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Oh i know. Let's face at the end of the day even when they were healthy this group struggled to score. Already down their best defensive forward and now you lose your #2 Dman and add a guy who had sucked and been demoted back to the lineup....and this thing could just sink like a rock to the bottom.

They are trying their best but in the end their best just isn't good enough. Hence their record....which will continue to slide in the wrong direction...

Exactly.... IMO I think Hakstol has done a wonderful job with this team considering the lack of talent on the backend (Ghost and MDZ not included).  However, as you mentioned, this team has to play mistake free hockey on their best days in order to succeed.  Have they overcome some lackluster games and still won...absolutely.  I think many players are finally finding the grit that is needed to win in the NHL and that should be attributed to Hakstol. However to win consistently even on your off days you still need the players with skills to win. The Flyers simply don't have enough horses in the barn.  Reinforcements are coming though.  This is not a knock on the current team.  It is just reality.  Again, I was looking at this year as a transition year and I wanted to see better effort along with a system and accoutability.  For the most part, Hakstol has done just that.  This team will be vastily different in another 2-3 years with the likes of Sanheim /Provorov / Konecny / Ghost firmly entrenched on this roster.  If the Flyers get another top 5 pick then I'm ok with it.

16 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Exactly.... IMO I think Hakstol has done a wonderful job with this team considering the lack of talent on the backend (Ghost and MDZ not included).  However, as you mentioned, this team has to play mistake free hockey on their best days in order to succeed.  Have they overcome some lackluster games and still one...absolutely.  I think many players are finally finding the grit that is needed to win in the NHL and that should be attributed to Hakstol. However to win consistently even on your off days you still need the players with skills to win. The Flyers simply don't have enough horses in the barn.  Reinforcements are coming though.  This is not a knock on the current team.  It is just reality.  Again, I was looking at this year as a transition year and I wanted to see better effort along with a system and accoutability.  For the most part, Hakstol has done just that.  This team will be vastily different in another 2-3 years with the likes of Sanheim /Provorov / Konecny / Ghost firmly entrenched on this roster.  If the Flyers get another top 5 pick then I'm ok with it.

Raffl is a UFA and White as well....Raffl could be traded out for too reasons it may bring a 3rd round pick back and it will open up a spot next year for Cousins. White i feel could be resigned because of his grit and what he brings to the lineup and he is good at faceoffs.

Weal is a RFA and will get a modest raise up from his 630K salary and be given a shot at a spot next year. Unless someone offers up something for him and Hexy would prefer to move him.

??????????????? - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
10 Brayden Schenn - 52 Nick Cousins - 17 Wayne Simmonds
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White 
21 Scott Laughton - 52 Nick Cousins- 19 Jordan Weal

15 Michael Del Zotto - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
32 Mark Streit - 39 Mark Alt
9 Ivan Provorov - 3 Radko Gudas

35 Steve Mason 
30 Michal Neuvirth

Not sure if Brandon Manning is resigned....i wouldn't and yes in my dream Schultz is traded away..........

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

10 Brayden Schenn - 52 Nick Cousins -  I think you mean Coots here.     17 Wayne Simmonds

35 Steve Mason 
30 Michal Neuvirth

Not sure if Brandon Manning is resigned....i wouldn't and yes in my dream Schultz is traded away..........

I think you forgot Coots..I slotted him #2C between Simmer and Schenn.  Somehow the Flyers need to find a true #1 LW.  Maybe 2 years before Konecny will be with Flyers.  Have not looked at the pending FA List yet.  Who is available?

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I think you forgot Coots..I slotted him #2C between Simmer and Schenn.  Somehow the Flyers need to find a true #1 LW.  Maybe 2 years before Konecny will be with Flyers.  Have not looked at the pending FA List yet.  Who is available?

Yes i did.......i listed Cousins twice...

10 Brayden Schenn - 14 Sean Couturier  17 Wayne Simmonds

35 Steve Mason 
30 Michal Neuvirth

There much better...............................

8 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Somehow the Flyers need to find a true #1 LW.  Maybe 2 years before Konecny will be with Flyers.  Have not looked at the pending FA List yet.  Who is available?

PLAYER (61)
POS.
TO
2015-2016 CAP HIT
STATUS
Eric Staal LW 31 CAR TBD $8,250,000 UFA
Teddy Purcell LW 30 EDM TBD $4,500,000 UFA
Andrew Ladd LW 30 WPG TBD $4,400,000 UFA
Tuomo Ruutu LW 32 NJD TBD $3,800,000 UFA
Mikkel Boedker LW 26 AZ TBD $3,750,000 UFA
Rene Bourque LW 34 CBJ TBD $3,333,333 UFA
Milan Lucic LW 27 LAK TBD $3,250,000 UFA
Michael Grabner LW 28 TOR TBD $3,000,000 UFA
Jamie McGinn LW 27 BUF TBD $2,950,000 UFA
Steve Ott LW 33 STL TBD $2,600,000 UFA
Brandon Prust LW 31 VAN TBD $2,500,000 UFA
Shawn Matthias LW 27 TOR TBD $2,300,000 UFA
Nick Spaling LW 27 TOR TBD $2,200,000 UFA
Kris Versteeg LW 29 CAR TBD $2,200,000 UFA
Darren Helm LW 29 DET TBD $2,125,000 UFA
Raffi Torres LW 34 SJS TBD $2,000,000 UFA
Travis Moen LW 33 DAL TBD $1,850,000 UFA
David Perron LW 27 ANA TBD $1,762,768 UFA
Nathan Gerbe LW 28 CAR TBD $1,750,000 UFA
Shawn Horcoff LW 37 ANA TBD $1,750,000 UFA
Trevor Lewis LW 29 LAK TBD $1,525,000 UFA
Drew Miller LW 31 DET TBD $1,350,000 UFA
Viktor Stalberg LW 30 NYR TBD $1,100,000 UFA
Michael Raffl LW 27 PHI TBD $1,100,000 UFA
Matt Martin LW 26 NYI TBD $1,000,000 UFA
Jiri Tlusty LW 27 NJD TBD $800,000 UFA
Tomas Fleischmann LW 31 MTL TBD $750,000 UFA
Joe Whitney LW 28 NYI TBD $750,000 UFA
Viktor Tikhonov LW 27 AZ TBD $704,516 UFA
Scottie Upshall LW 32 STL TBD $700,000 UFA
Jack Skille LW 29 COL TBD $675,000 UFA
Brad Malone LW 26 CAR TBD $650,000 UFA
Ryan Carter LW 32 MIN TBD $625,000 UFA
Brett Sutter LW 28 MIN TBD $600,000 UFA
Ruslan Fedotenko LW 37 MIN TBD $600,000 UFA
Frazer McLaren LW 28 SJS TBD $600,000 UFA
Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond LW 30 NJD TBD $575,000 UFA
Nick Tarnasky LW 31 NYR TBD $575,000 UFA
Chris Porter LW 31 MIN TBD $575,000 UFA
Sean Collins LW 27 WAS TBD $575,000 UFA
Michael Liambas LW 26 CHI TBD $575,000 UFA
Bobby Farnham LW 27 NJD TBD $575,000 UFA
Thomas Raffl LW 29 WPG TBD $575,000 UFA
Eric Selleck LW 28 AZ TBD $575,000 UFA
Jeff Tambellini LW 31 TBL TBD $575,000 UFA
Adam Cracknell LW 30 VAN TBD $575,000 UFA
Andrew Miller LW 27 EDM TBD $545,322 UFA
John McCarthy LW 29 SJS TBD $545,161 UFA
Bryan Lerg LW 30 SJS TBD $538,709 UFA
Micheal Haley LW 29 SJS TBD $496,774 UFA
Brandon Mashinter LW 27 CHI TBD $456,653 UFA
Jeremy Welsh LW 27 STL TBD $434,677 UFA
Kevin Porter LW 29 PIT TBD $429,704 UFA
Mike Angelidis LW 30 TBL TBD $415,860 UFA
Ryan Hamilton LW 30 EDM TBD $409,677 UFA
John Scott LW 33 MTL TBD $309,140 UFA
Daniel Paille LW 31 NYR TBD $247,311 UFA
Harry Zolnierczyk LW 28 ANA TBD $222,580 UFA
Tom Sestito LW 28 PIT TBD $213,306 UFA
Matt Ellis LW 34 BUF TBD - UFA
Paul Bissonnette LW 30 LAK TBD - UFA

8 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

My choice...

Mikkel Boedker LW 26 AZ TBD $3,750,000 UFA

@OccamsRazor

Funny even before  saw your particular choice, one of the names that struck me was Boedker.  Not much to choose from.  Alot of againg LWer's I see.  I say no to Staal (too much), no to Bourque (aging vet), no to Lucic (seems to becoming a headcase and liability).  What about Ladd?  Short term contract, although he may be looking for that one last big contract and I'm not sure Hexy will go for it.

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Raffl is a UFA and White as well....Raffl could be traded out for too reasons it may bring a 3rd round pick back and it will open up a spot next year for Cousins. White i feel could be resigned because of his grit and what he brings to the lineup and he is good at faceoffs.

If Cousins were a better player than Raffl he would have made the team out of camp, yes ?

A third round pick for Raffl is adding a hole in the roster for a not very likely NHL player that we find out about in 4 years  as compensation. 

I'm not saying Michael Raffl is the end all be all, but he is a decent NHL player and is worth more to our team than a 3rd round pick, Nick Cousins hasn't shown he's better than Raffl in any way.  

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@OccamsRazor

Funny even before  saw your particular choice, one of the names that struck me was Boedker.  Not much to choose from.  Alot of againg LWer's I see.  I say no to Staal (too much), no to Bourque (aging vet), no to Lucic (seems to becoming a headcase and liability).  What about Ladd?  Short term contract, although he may be looking for that one last big contract and I'm not sure Hexy will go for it.

no , no, no, no and hell no to paying Ladd a **** pile of money to watch him decline Ville Lenio style.

we're not getting "that" guy through free agency.  we're getting that guy either by drafting him, or trading for him.  which of our diamond prospects do you wish to give up to secure a legit #1 LW ?

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@OccamsRazor

I like Boedeker because he could be a nice compliment to G and Jake and he is only 26 close to their same age...it could be a nice 1st line with all 3 in their prime!!!

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

no , no, no and no

we're not getting "that" guy through free agency.  we're getting that guy either by drafting him, or trading for him.  which of our diamond prospects do you wish to give up to secure a legit #1 LW ?

Did you read the post?? Where did i say trade for one i said sign one!

So in 5 years when he is ready to play with G and Jake will 33 and then you want to add a kid to their line?? Sorry but a little to late on that one.

They need a 1st LW NOW!!!!

So free agency would be just fine...in fact that is what it is for PLUGGING A HOLE!!! Not building a team but plugging a hole...perfect in this case.

You can still draft a LW but he won't be ready for a while.

Archived