Update: Del Zotto Done for the Year, Andrew MacDonald Recalled

AlaskaFlyerFan

11 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

no , no, no, no and hell no to paying Ladd a **** pile of money to watch him decline Ville Lenio style.

we're not getting "that" guy through free agency.  we're getting that guy either by drafting him, or trading for him.  which of our diamond prospects do you wish to give up to secure a legit #1 LW ?

Agree with all above. However, they need to fill a hole.  The only legit player I still think is Boedker.  Was not sure thoughts on Ladd, but I got my answer.  Thanks.  Agree the #1LW will have to most likely come through draft.  As far as who would I give up to in a trade.  Provorov / Ghost / Sanheim / Konecny are off limits. Not sure who would get you the #1LW in a trade.  Morin?  However many on here also list him as untouchable.  I dunno?  IMO, the best bet is through the draft, hence the reason I am ok if the Flyers somehow find their way to another top 5 pick.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Did you read the post?? Where did i say trade for one i said sign one!

So in 5 years when he is ready to play with G and Jake will 33 and then you want to add a kid to their line?? Sorry but a little to late on that one.

They need a 1st LW NOW!!!!

So free agency would be just fine...in fact that is what it is for PLUGGING A HOLE!!! Not building a team but plugging a hole...perfect in this case.

You can still draft a LW but he won't be ready for a while.

I read your post and i don't think any of these guys are worth the money they will be asking for.  I don't think a #1 left wing is available via UFA unless you back the brinks truck up to their door. 

Therefore I don't think they will be getting an actual #1 LW (off that list anyway) .  I think it would be an overpayment for an inferior player. 

Doesn't fix the problem even for "just now"

see ?

Just now, pilldoc said:

Agree with all above.  Was not sure thoughts on Ladd, but I got my answer.  Thanks.  Agree the #1LW will have to most likely come through draft.  As far as who would I give up to in a trade.  Provorov / Ghost / Sanheim / Konecny are off limits. Not sure who would get you the #1LW in a trade.  Morin?  However many on here also list him as untouchable.  I dunno?  IMO, the best bet is through the draft, hence the reason I am ok if the Flyers somehow find their way to another top 5 pick.

Like i just stated you can draft your #1 LW but he will not be ready till G and Jake are on the wrong side of 30....they need one right now it's why you go sign one...they have the money...i want them to compete now....not in 4 or 5 years.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Like i just stated you can draft your #1 LW but he will not be ready till G and Jake are on the wrong side of 30....they need one right now it's why you go sign one...they have the money...i want them to compete now....not in 4 or 5 years.

I think realistically they can compete in 2 years when Hexy has some time to remove more dead weight.

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

I read you post and i don't think any of these guys are worth the money they will be asking for.  I don't think a #1 left wing is available via UFA unless you back the brinks truck up to their door. 

There for I don't think they will be getting an actual #1 LW .  I think it would be an overpayment for an inferior player. 

see ?

Well we don't know any of that for sure...and it ain't coming no other route...trading for one i'm not even interested in because of the assets it will cost so i would venture into free agency...it is the only way it will happen next year.

Boedker has never played with talent close to G and Jake so who knows what he can actually do when surrounded by those two. And sure i would need to know how much of course before you could say truly yeah or nah on a deal.

But Boedker has scored 13 goals already this year and that would be good for 4th on the current Flyer team....so like i said it's worth a roll of the dice to try and sign him...but no i don't want to hand out any NMC or NTC to him.

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I think realistically they can compete in 2 years when Hexy has some time to remove more dead weight.

Sure but that doesn't fix the gaping hole at 1st line LW right now and heading into next year....it just doesn't. Free agency could plug it....and no i don't want no old gezzer on a Homeresque deal...

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure but that doesn't fix the gaping hole at 1st line LW right now and heading into next year....it just doesn't. Free agency could plug it....and no i don't want no old gezzer on a Homeresque deal...

Yeah I totally agree with you.  I was just making a general statement that if Hexy can remove dead weight and they get a legit #1LW from somewhere, I think they are about 2  years away from competing realistically. (you said you don't want to wait 4-5 years..I agree)  That is why I said 2 yrs in a general sense.  Now that Hexy has some cap room, lets see what he can do in the upcoming off-season.  I think he has to nail it because what he does this  year will set this team up for the next few years, IMO.

Honestly, A-Mac has not been bad at the AHL level.  He's better than Gudas and Manning and probably as good as Schultz. The contract is the killer and you really can't hate a guy for taking advantage of his idiot bosses.  I resented him when he first came to LV but he's been a class act and works his butt off.  You guys may be pleasantly surprised.  But again, not worth that kind of money.  Hopefully that idea of everyone possibly getting a free buyout when the cap ceiling drops comes to fruition.

20 minutes ago, Poconono said:

Honestly, A-Mac has not been bad at the AHL level.  He's better than Gudas and Manning and probably as good as Schultz. The contract is the killer and you really can't hate a guy for taking advantage of his idiot bosses.  I resented him when he first came to LV but he's been a class act and works his butt off.  You guys may be pleasantly surprised.  But again, not worth that kind of money.  Hopefully that idea of everyone possibly getting a free buyout when the cap ceiling drops comes to fruition.

We'll see...if i see the same ol Mcdud...i'll know...because all he will do when the puck carrier skates towards his end is he will position himself like he is going to do something like stand him up at the blueline...

..but instead he will just concede the defensive zone till he is completely in the goaltender's face totally screening him of the shooter...or he may even attempt a half hearted stick check...so we'll see if a Tiger can change his stripes...

3 hours ago, Poconono said:

A-Mac has not been bad at the AHL level.

No he has not, but he stunk up the ice at the NHL level. His inability or unwillingness to challenge anyone entering the zone puts anybody he is paired with at an immediate disadvantage........

2 hours ago, flyerrod said:

No he has not, but he stunk up the ice at the NHL level. His inability or unwillingness to challenge anyone entering the zone puts anybody he is paired with at an immediate disadvantage........

....and he is on the ice for the rags goal...surprise! Not.........

41 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

....and he is on the ice for the rags goal...surprise! Not.........

Damn he was responsiblefor the 2nd goal and as i type this he is on he ice for the 3rd goal.  

Mcdud and Nick Schultz on the ice at the same time on he PK is straight comical.

Hextall is obviously throwing in the towel here with the Mcdud callup.

Goodnight.

6 hours ago, Poconono said:

I resented him when he first came to LV but he's been a class act and works his butt off.

The Only thing AMac showed was that he has no business playing in the NHL. I have not seen him play in LV but if he is good there and teaches the young players not to do as he does then he can stay there for the next 5 years. The Only thing he did tonight was make Manning look like a top pairing dman in comparison. You are correct that it is not Macdonald's fault that Homer threw the bank at him, I just wish that the extra 4.5 mil did not count against the cap while he withers away there for the next 5 years......

Just another opinion..........

• Andrew MacDonald has likely been visualizing this game for months, when he would finally get a chance to prove himself again on the NHL stage. Unfortunately, his first game back with the Flyers since December was disastrous. MacDonald was the Flyers' worst puck possession player, finishing with a ghastly 30% Corsi For percentage. He didn't fare any better via the eye test, as he found himself on the ice for two goals against and even struggled with the puck on his stick - usually a relative strength of his game. At this point, MacDonald is in a career crossroads, as he's clearly too good for the AHL but seemingly a liability with the big club. It's just one game, but I find it difficult to value him as anything more than a #6/7 defenseman in the NHL, and the Flyers already have a serviceable player in Brandon Manning who can play that role. It will be interesting to see how long of a leash MacDonald is granted by Dave Hakstol, or if he'll be subject the healthy scratch rotation that the coach has employed in his first NHL season.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/2/15/10991462/rangers-3-flyers-1-10-things-we-learned-from-a-rivalry-game-lost

• Shayne Gostisbehere may have been able to extend his point streak with a late assist, but I suspect it will not last much longer if he remains paired with Andrew MacDonald. While the thought process behind the pair makes sense (the two played together in Lehigh Valley to start the season), MacDonald was dragging Gostisbehere down all game against the Rangers. Gostisbehere's neutral zone aggressiveness is out of place next to MacDonald and his passive play. The result was too much time spent in the defensive zone with Ghost and MacDonald on the ice. The best move may be to place Ghost with Brandon Manning (the safer, low-upside option) or with Medvedev (high-risk, high-reward). Regardless, I worry that we'll continue to see Gostisbehere's performance dip if the current pairing takes hold permanently.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just another opinion..........

• Andrew MacDonald has likely been visualizing this game for months, when he would finally get a chance to prove himself again on the NHL stage. Unfortunately, his first game back with the Flyers since December was disastrous. MacDonald was the Flyers' worst puck possession player, finishing with a ghastly 30% Corsi For percentage. He didn't fare any better via the eye test, as he found himself on the ice for two goals against and even struggled with the puck on his stick - usually a relative strength of his game. At this point, MacDonald is in a career crossroads, as he's clearly too good for the AHL but seemingly a liability with the big club. It's just one game, but I find it difficult to value him as anything more than a #6/7 defenseman in the NHL, and the Flyers already have a serviceable player in Brandon Manning who can play that role. It will be interesting to see how long of a leash MacDonald is granted by Dave Hakstol, or if he'll be subject the healthy scratch rotation that the coach has employed in his first NHL season.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/2/15/10991462/rangers-3-flyers-1-10-things-we-learned-from-a-rivalry-game-lost

• Shayne Gostisbehere may have been able to extend his point streak with a late assist, but I suspect it will not last much longer if he remains paired with Andrew MacDonald. While the thought process behind the pair makes sense (the two played together in Lehigh Valley to start the season), MacDonald was dragging Gostisbehere down all game against the Rangers. Gostisbehere's neutral zone aggressiveness is out of place next to MacDonald and his passive play. The result was too much time spent in the defensive zone with Ghost and MacDonald on the ice. The best move may be to place Ghost with Brandon Manning (the safer, low-upside option) or with Medvedev (high-risk, high-reward). Regardless, I worry that we'll continue to see Gostisbehere's performance dip if the current pairing takes hold permanently.

^^^^^^^^^ THIS!!!  This is exactly what McDud does.  By far the best write-up/explanation I have seen.  Where does McDud go from here......one word.. KHL.

Приветствуйте в Хоккейной Лиге KHL Эндрю Макдональда. Мы приветствуем Вас с распростертыми объятьями!

(Welcome to the KHL Hockey League Andrew MacDonald.  We welcome you with open arms!)

On 2/14/2016 at 11:32 AM, OccamsRazor said:

I am open to exploring a potential FA fix for top line LW.

I am not sanguine that such a "fix" exists under the current crop of UFA LWs available: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free_agent/1/list/leftwing

Much less one that doesn't fit your description of an "old geezer".

Do you have anyone in mind?

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

Do you have anyone in mind?

Yes 26 year old Mikkel Boedker.

Now i'm not saying break the bank and certainly don't hand out a NMC or NTC but i would like to see how a kid close to G and Jake's age could play together...i have never seen him play with talent like those two in Arizona.

And the price tag will give me a clearer picture of making that call. But he is the 1st guy i kick the tires on.

Hell i'd be interested i maybe....like i said maybe trading for him to get a quick look see...once again the price tag of what that would cost would determine how bad i'd want to do that.

I love how at the 5 second mark he takes the pass and just skates around Karlsson on that goal.

Sure he hasn't accomplished a lot in the NHL yet...at the same time he hasn't had that great of teammates...and the price tag would be the deal maker/breaker on him. 

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

@OccamsRazor

Not a bad call at all. Something to at least kick the tires on, sure.

I think it would be a good match. I'm not saying offer some mind boggling amount and honestly if you look at his numbers he should require a Jake or G deal to secure.

He has never played with much talent...so i think they can get him and some untapped talent to boot.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=5996

His 13 goals he score this year would be good for 4th on the team.

And and i don't want some old guy...been there done that. It's time to go after a kid in his prime to go with G and Jake who are also in their prime...i'd roll the dice on him.

40 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

.....or, instead of signing a guy like Boedkker or Ladd, why not see what the Senators would want for a guy like Matt Puempel, who is probably in need of a change of scenery. He could probably be had for a 3rd or 4th and is natural goal scoring left winger.

The only problem with that is that gamble would require giving up asses to get and then money to sign him........Boedker is a UFA so you could just sign him.

Well we've had a week of MadDonald and while I'm sure we'd all still much rather have MDZ in the lineup, the fact is the world hasn't ended.  

Sure, he could have made a pass instead of taking a bad shot in that third period against the Habs and sure that could have been the difference maker in that annoying game, but he's still in the Plus column inspite of 20+ minutes a night.  

Let's all just take a moment to be happy it isn't panning out like everyone assumed it would... yet.  

Losing Del Zotto is a huge blow to the club. When he and Gudas were partnered, he seemed to keep Gudas in check and focus on the task at hand. This is a big blow, especially for a guy who really changed his game this year for the good of the team. He embraced the shut down role and was becoming very good at it. I wonder if his wrist had something to do with that. Anyways, the Flyers lost a guy who consistently eats 23 to 24 minutes a night of ice time. That's an awful lot of ice time. Hopefully this means Hextall goes into full sell mode and with today's Roman Polak/Nick Spaling trade, a market has been established for guys like Streit, Schultz and Medvedev.

Archived