Coyotes to hire 26 year old John Chayka as GM

hf101

2Q==

Interesting move by the Coyotes here today they are to announce the hiring of their 26-year-old assistant coach John Chayka as GM.  Chayka was an assistant coach under Don Mahoney for one year and now Chayka will  be the youngest GM in NHL history.  He is an analytics expert that co-founded and served as Director of Hockey Operations at Stathletes, Inc., which touted itself as having "professional hockey's deepest performance data and analytics."  

Although Chayka was involved in all areas of hockey operations last season including NHL, minor league and amateur player evaluation, development, and coaching support, I'm curious to see how other GMs in the league react.

Very interesting. Having young blood in your organisation is a very good idea, but at the top? It's a situation I'll certainly be watching. Good for the 'Yotes if they think it's worth the risk. I hope the guy does well.

• 1 month later...

Congratulations Chayka, you guys got Pavel Datsyuk! Hurry up and call the Flyers because you can have Mark Streit and Matt Read for your first round pick next year

On 6/25/2016 at 7:05 PM, Samifan said:

Congratulations Chayka, you guys got Pavel Datsyuk! Hurry up and call the Flyers because you can have Mark Streit and Matt Read for your first round pick next year

Throw Mcdud in there to damn it!!!

Archived