Happy Stinko De Flyo!

Anyone remember this classic headline after the final Ottawa massacre on May 5th 2003, starring Roman Cechmanek (or Roamin as the Daily news used to call him) and the gang who couldn't shoot straight?

img_20030507.jpg 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Yeah, I see another playoff series where the team never scored more than 2 goals and blamed it on the goalie.

The two games they won?

Shutouts. 2-0 and 1-0

Well they couldn't blame the coach that year because they had just blamed Barber the year before and got him canned so they blamed Checko and fired pucks at his head during practice (which he didn't mind as he used to like to head the puck anyway)!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Poulin20 said:

Anyone remember this classic headline after the final Ottawa massacre on May 5th 2003, starring Roman Cechmanek (or Roamin as the Daily news used to call him) and the gang who couldn't shoot straight?

img_20030507.jpg

I have it framed and hanging in my garage. That is when they crapped the bed against the Sens. They made the Sens look like beasts in that series too. I thought the Flyers would have fought harder after fighting past the Leafs. But in all honesty they scored more goals in that series than they did against the Craps.  

Edited by Bertmega
*and* instead of an
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Poulin20 said:

Well they couldn't blame the coach that year because they had just blamed Barber the year before and got him canned so they blamed Checko and fired pucks at his head during practice (which he didn't mind as he used to like to head the puck anyway)!

Even year - coach (Neilson/Ramsay 2000, Barber 2002, Hitchcock 2006)

Odd year - goalie (Cechmanek 2003, Esche/Nittymaki 2007, BIron 2009, Bryzgalov 2013)

Recently they've trended in the opposite direction

Coach - Stevens 2009, Laviolette 2013, Berube 2015

Maybe if they practiced firing puck into the net instead of at the goalie's head they would have scored more goals...

Hey, anybody notice that the coach with the highest win % since 1990 and the highest all time playoff win % for the Flyers is... Terry Murray?

:hocky:

Edited by radoran

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

Odd year - goalie (Cechmanek 2003, Esche/Nittymaki 2007, BIron 2009, Bryzgalov 2013)

Maybe if they practiced firing puck into the net instead of at the goalie's head they would have scored more goals...

Hey, anybody notice that the coach with the highest win % since 1990 and the highest all time playoff win % for the Flyers is... Terry Murray?

Wonder if it's going to be the GM or Captain trend going forward?

I never understood why Craig Ramsey was given such a short leash. I really liked him as the HC. Barber, I did not. Hitch, I really didn't like. Stevens was decent. Lavy was good, but not great, at the bare minimum he was entertaining. Berube was not too good and in way over his head.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, radoran said:

Wow I remember going through all of this stuff as it was happening but to see it written out in print is breathtaking.  I don't know whether to laugh or cry! 

10 hours ago, Bertmega said:

I agree him and Hakstol obviously were the hurdles to the Cup. 

Hide contents

:5726ba4ad74b2_blowingakiss:

I blame Paul Holmgren and Craig Berube. :lol:

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...