NHL Playoffs: Eastern Conference Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Atlantic (#2) Tampa Bay Lightning

pilldoc

NHL Playoffs: Eastern Conference Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Atlantic (#2) Tampa Bay Lightning  

20 members have voted

1. 1. NHL Playoffs: Eastern Conference Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Atlantic (#2) Tampa Bay Lightning

• Lightning in 4 (sweep)
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7
    • Penguins in 4 (sweep)
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7

Well that was a late night, overtime game and a drive back to Cleveland.   Would have been a better drive if the Pens had won. :thumbsd:

I was busy and traveling all day Sunday, so I didn't hear until almost on the way that the Pens were going to start Fleury.   I just didn't see that as a great move.   Game 5 in the ECF and you're going to start a goalie that hasn't played in a month and a half.   It didn't make sense to me.   Sullivan's now screwed himself in goal. He has to play Fleury again, and has set up Fleury for the big fall if he loses.   Everyone kept touting how confident Sullivan was with Murray, especially after a loss on how he bounces back, and he yanks him.  And if Fleury loses, it will all fall on him as another playoff failure.   Haven't had much to complain about with Sullivan, but this one has me baffleed. 

I'll have to watch the replays, but I thought he should have had the two wristers, no screen, went to the ice too early and didn't have glove up.    The wrap around goal that tied it late, I don't understand why  he tried to play it to the corner.  It wasn't a hard shot, and he tried to kick it away.  I thought smothering it would have been the play, stop play, get a face off and move on.  

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Well that was a late night, overtime game and a drive back to Cleveland.   Would have been a better drive if the Pens had won. :thumbsd:

I was busy and traveling all day Sunday, so I didn't hear until almost on the way that the Pens were going to start Fleury.   I just didn't see that as a great move.   Game 5 in the ECF and you're going to start a goalie that hasn't played in a month and a half.   It didn't make sense to me.   Sullivan's now screwed himself in goal. He has to play Fleury again, and has set up Fleury for the big fall if he loses.   Everyone kept touting how confident Sullivan was with Murray, especially after a loss on how he bounces back, and he yanks him.  And if Fleury loses, it will all fall on him as another playoff failure.   Haven't had much to complain about with Sullivan, but this one has me baffleed. 

I'll have to watch the replays, but I thought he should have had the two wristers, no screen, went to the ice too early and didn't have glove up.    The wrap around goal that tied it late, I don't understand why  he tried to play it to the corner.  It wasn't a hard shot, and he tried to kick it away.  I thought smothering it would have been the play, stop play, get a face off and move on.  

Fleury was...Fleury. I thought Letang was worse. Crosby and Malkin didn't earn their 18 million either. 

I wouldn't be worried about Murrays confidence...nothing seems to bother him that way. He may just be hitting a wall as a rookie. 

No lack of confidence on the Lightning side it seems, no matter how "in control" the Penguins think they are.

My main gripe with the Bolts right now is Matt Flippin Carle. Sometimes I wonder whether he actually has a contract with Tampa Bay or whether he has a two way contract, one that pays him incentives if he makes plays for PITTSBURGH!!

Seriously....Carle causes more mayhem for his own team than he does for the opposition.

Bolts are now in control of this series and have two shots to put away the tuxedoed birds....I say, scratch Matt Carle next game and put in Nikita Nesterov.

Nesterov may only be 23 and lacking in experience compared to Carle, and yes, he will make mistakes being such a young D-man playing at this high a level, but at least he has shown in the past he actually LEARNS from his mistakes, has a wicked shot, and can actually play a better physical game than Carle ever could.....oh, and he skates about as well, if not better than Matthew too.

At any rate, Bolts bring this back home with a chance to close.

Rather get it done in 6, obviously, but if it goes 7 (like I thought this series would), I still say the Lightning can win this.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Fleury was...Fleury. I thought Letang was worse. Crosby and Malkin didn't earn their 18 million either. 

I wouldn't be worried about Murrays confidence...nothing seems to bother him that way. He may just be hitting a wall as a rookie. 

The only silver lining to Letang's play was that he usually bounces back with an outstanding performance after a dud like last night.  Fingers crossed. 

4 minutes ago, B21 said:

The only silver lining to Letang's play was that he usually bounces back with an outstanding performance after a dud like last night.  Fingers crossed. 

Two duds. But he does usually bounce back.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Haha welcome to Flyers' fans world. I never hated Carle the way many did-do around here but let's just say I feel your pain! Lol. Poor Carle he really does do a lot of things right and nobody seems to remember. I guess it's bc when he gets shoved off the puck so easily he looks so weak you wonder what the hell he's doing in any NHL uniform, let alone your favorite team. Don't hate him too much, he'll redeem himself .... probably.

The Pens were in control the whole game.  Five minutes of abysmal play by Letang and its 2-2.  I've never seen him so lazy.  Maybe he's rooming with Malkin?

the tying goal I can't really blame Fleury on.  The Bolts attacked with speed and Dumoulin got pushed to the wrong side of the net just before the wraparound by a Bolts forward.  Smart play by Johnson or whichever forward it was to take Dumoulin out of the play leaving the far side open. 

Oh well... On to game six.   

1 hour ago, B21 said:

I'm going out on a limb and predicting that whoever wins Game 6 will win the series.

I know. Daring. 

Well, you have a 'pseudo guarantee' by one Mr. Evgeni Malkin, if ya wanna work with that....hehe.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/bolts-cooper-laughs-off-malkin-guarantee-1.494454

Not quite in Messier's class, but it is something the media can chew on. :eyeroll:

Wow, wait, really?

"It didn't look good inside the Penguins dressing room afterward, either.

As reporters flocked to the stall of goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, his fellow members of the Penguins' so-called Big Four (Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang) were nowhere to be found." - http://triblive.com/sports/robrossi/10497434-74/penguins-crosby-game

I know it's Rossi, but he's not the only guy who said that Malkin, Crosby, and Letang (As well as Hagelin and Kessel, apparently) disappeared after the game. Blow two leads in a critical game five, lose in overtime, and you can't be bothered to step up and help take some of the flak off your goalie?

Looks like Matt Murray in net for tonight's game it is:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2016/05/24/Matt-Murray-gets-start-over-Marc-Andre-Fleury-in-Game-6-of-Penguins-Lightning-series/stories/201605240161

I don't think it matters (nor should it) to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

I mean, other than some slight tweaks to account for the differing goalie personalities between Murray and Fleury, I would think the Bolts' number one objective is to simply outskate and outplay the Penguins on the ice.

TB doesn't want any letdowns after a tremendous win last time out, they want to finish this at home in 6, and even though I think they can still do well in a Game 7, common sense says you DON'T want it getting to that if you are the Lightning.

Personally, I think Matt Murray has proved himself to be an excellent goaltender (very calm, cool, collected at all times in there), and he would be the tougher draw for the Bolts, but MAF did enough so that even if it was him in there instead, it would not have made the Bolts' job of gaining win #4 any easier.

Just gonna come down to the matchups on the ice, with TB obviously having last change, and having the will to get this thing over and done with and plan for the Western Champion.'

As for the Lightning's own goalie situation, Andrei Vasilevskiy will be the man in net tonight:

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/lightnings-ben-bishop-leg-injury-improving/

Bolts don't seem to be in any rush to shoehorn Bishop back in there if he isn't 100%....and why should they? Vasilevskiy has more than done his job and the team seems just as confident with him in goal.

38 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Bolts don't seem to be in any rush to shoehorn Bishop back in there if he isn't 100%....and why should they? Vasilevskiy has more than done his job and the team seems just as confident with him in goal.

Why should they?

Cause I have him in my pool!

31 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Why should they?

Cause I have him in my pool!

Which is exactly why the Pens should start Fleury.

4 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Wow, wait, really?

"It didn't look good inside the Penguins dressing room afterward, either.

As reporters flocked to the stall of goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, his fellow members of the Penguins' so-called Big Four (Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang) were nowhere to be found." - http://triblive.com/sports/robrossi/10497434-74/penguins-crosby-game

I know it's Rossi, but he's not the only guy who said that Malkin, Crosby, and Letang (As well as Hagelin and Kessel, apparently) disappeared after the game. Blow two leads in a critical game five, lose in overtime, and you can't be bothered to step up and help take some of the flak off your goalie?

Well, disappeared after the game may really mean, didn't talk to the great Rossi.   Rossi is a tool who does not like the fact the he's no longer the beat writer for the Pens and seems to do everything in his power to "create" stories. 

2 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Well, disappeared after the game may really mean, didn't talk to the great Rossi.   Rossi is a tool who does not like the fact the he's no longer the beat writer for the Pens and seems to do everything in his power to "create" stories. 

I first saw their absence was reported by Benz and Prisuta on the radio. The Rossi account was the first thing I found in print.

Pens win tonight.  Should've won game 5 as they outplayed the Bolts.   But a good move by Kucherov's taking in the bouncing puck for a wrap around and a goal off Johnson's arse and we're down a game.  

I firmly believe the Pens still take this series.  They're playing good hockey despite Crosby and Malkin not doing much.  And sooner or later those bounces have to go our way! 

The Pens played a great road game.

Great challenge on the Hedman goal.  Maybe didn't totally change the outcome of the  game. but the 'ning play better when they're not chasing the game. 

After that goal was disallowed the Pens really put the pedal to the metal, not sure why Sullivan went away from Sheary in favor of Bennet, his wheels seem to invigorate Sid, who i thought played really well. Same for Letang he bounced back really well.  good all around effort.  so far the game sevens have been duds, i don't expect this one to continue the trend.

22 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Great challenge on the Hedman goal. 

Yes it was, it's also not the first time this season we've seen a goal overturned on review of ticky tack offside where the offender's back foot lifting behind the line caused the offense. The art of dragging the skate seems to be getting lost.... Can't we go with the NFL break the plane rule? jk

43 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Great challenge on the Hedman goal.  Maybe didn't totally change the outcome of the  game. but the 'ning play better when they're not chasing the game. 

After that goal was disallowed the Pens really put the pedal to the metal, not sure why Sullivan went away from Sheary in favor of Bennet, his wheels seem to invigorate Sid, who i thought played really well. Same for Letang he bounced back really well.  good all around effort.  so far the game sevens have been duds, i don't expect this one to continue the trend.

On a team that is thriving on speed, Sheary is better.  I think this may be Beau's last season with the Pens.   You can only wait so long for the "potential" to become reality.

Beau "should" be the better choice due to his size, but if he uses his size he gets hurt. He was listed as undisclosed injury for last night, not scatched.  He's not nicknamed Brittle Beau for nothing.

BB.jpg

Archived