Official 2016 HF.net NHL Mock Draft

pilldoc

Good Morning Everyone,

Listed below is the Official Draft Order for those members who were interested in participating.  The 2016 NHL Draft will be held in about 4 weeks on June 24th.  I tried to honor the requests to the best of my ability.  If other members wish to join this group of HF.net's "GM"s to draft a team or two let us know, we can make adjustments to the list.

Here are the rules:

1. The draft window will be about 12 hours. (of course, there will be flexibility but try to stay on schedule possible)
  2. Try to make the pick as realistic as possible. (Don't purposely let a Matthews or Laine drop to #24 or #25, there of course, will be some surprise drops)
  3. There are NO TRADES. (we all know trades can happen, but it is too complicated for all parties involved)
  4. @hf101 and @pilldoc will try to have a running draft order on the HF.net 2016 Mock NHL Draft page so everyone knows who has been picked.  A sidebar table will also be visible on the Activity Page.
  5. After you have made your selection, please use the @(mention members name) function to notify the next person on the draft order that they are now the clock.
  6. Have fun with it.  Remember there is no right or wrong answer here.  If you disagree with someone's pick then discuss it and make a case why you think the pick is not in the best interest of that team.
  7. Please use this thread exclusively for your picks and discussion.
  8. When making your selection, please include a gm or scout-like quote about that player stating why you selected him.
  9. Use NHL team images from http://www.hockeyforums.net/1/hf.net-2016-mock-nhl-draft/ with your selections.

We would like to officially start this on Monday, but we can start earlier if some are ready to go sooner.

OFFICIAL DRAFT ORDER:

#

NHL Team

HF.net Forum Member

Toronto Maple Leafs

@hf101

Winnipeg Jets

@FD19372

Columbus Blue Jackets

@AJgoal

Edmonton Oilers

@Lunatic

Vancouver Canucks

@MN Wild fan

Calgary Flames

@yave1964

Arizona Coyotes

@peter puck

Buffalo Sabres

@pilldoc

Montreal Canadiens

@MrDanglez67

Colorado Avalanche

@sekkes85

New Jersey Devils

@hf101

Ottawa Senators

@FD19372

Carolina Hurricanes

@AJgoal

Boston Bruins

@Lunatic

Minnesota Wild

@MN Wild fan

Detroit Red Wings

@yave1964

Nashville Predators

@peter puck

Philadelphia Flyers

@pilldoc

New York Islanders

@MrDanglez67

Arizona Coyotes (from NY Rangers)1

@Sekkes85

Carolina Hurricanes (from Los Angeles)2

@hf101

Winnipeg Jets (from Chicago)3

@FD19372

Florida Panthers

@AJgoal

Anaheim Ducks

@Lunatic

Dallas Stars

@MN Wild fan

Washington Capitals

@yave1964

Tampa Bay Lightning

@peter puck

St. Louis Blues

@pilldoc

TBD

@MrDanglez67

TBD

@Sekkes85

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to officially welcome everyone to the Inaugural HF.net 2016 NHL Mock Draft.  The Toronto Maple Leafs won this years draft lottery and will be picking 1st Overall.

Good Luck to all teams.

@hf101 The Toronto Maple Leafs are now on the clock.  You may pick whenever you are ready.

49 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Looking forward to it! Glad to have drawn the Flames as well, been researching their roster and strategizing.

it should be fun...i've wanted to try this for some time now.... I've got the Sabres / Flyers / Blues.  I've been reading up on the Sabres.

1.   5749c4438936b_4_MapleLeafs.gifAuston Matthews

With the first pick of the HF.net Mock draft the Toronto Maple Leafs gladly select USA's, Arizona raised, forward Austin Matthews. The NHL ready, potential superstar forward displays a very high level skill set with quick hands, excellent puck-handling, passing, shot, and possession skills. He also is a naturally powerful skater who accelerates to top speed quickly. Matthews uses his smarts to dominate as he creates his own opportunities while using his large frame of 6'2 210 lbs to create space, generating scoring chances for himself and his teammates. The Toews-like forward is also defensively responsible with good reach and quickness. Last year Auston Matthews played against men with the ZSCLions in Switzerland touting 24 goals, 22 assists, and 46 points in 36 games, he can play all forward positions. This is the long awaited superstar center Leaf fans have been waiting years, eh - decades for.

@FD19372  your on the clock with the #2 pick.

@hf101

Really a no brainer here.  I know some have speculated that Laine could potentially surpass Matthews, but as you stated, Matthew has all the tools necessary to succeed as the next superstar I the NHL.

Grade = A+

2. 4_Jets.gif       Patrik Laine

With the 2nd pick, the Winnipeg Jets select Patrik Laine, LW, Tappara (SM Lilga). EASILY the second best player in the draft.

@AJgoal Columbus is now on the clock with the 3rd pick.

Holy crap. Sorry guys.

With the #3 pick in the draft, the Columbus Blue Jackets select Jesse Puljujärvi, Forward, Finland.

Edmonton Oilers (@Lunatic ) are now on the clock.

@FD19372

Again really a no brainer here.  Adding Laine with a young Nikolaji Ehlers and Joel Armia and the Jets have suddenly found themselves some offense.  Laine is that good that he could start either on the 1st or 2nd line.  Granted Blaker Wheeler currently resides at the #1 RW position, but I could easily see Laine have a few games in the top spot.  Armia just needs to have his own breakout season, but he is still very young himself..  Jet fans should be happy.

Grade = A+

The Edmonton Oilers organization would like to thank pilldoc and hf101 for sponsoring this draft. With the fourth pick in the 2016 NHL draft the Edmonton Oilers select: 

Jacob Chychrun, Defenseman, Sarnia (OHL).

@MN Wild fan you are on the clock

42 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

The Edmonton Oilers organization would like to thank pilldoc and hf101 for sponsoring this draft. With the fourth pick in the 2016 NHL draft the Edmonton Oilers select: 

The Oilers are in a predicament.  Sure drafting #4 is nice, but what Edmonton needs is defense....particular a RH defensman.  Those don't grow on trees.  Currently none of the top defensive prospects are rated in the top 5.  Drafting yet another elite forward in this spot, IMO, does not make any sense. 

In the real world Edmonton might try to trade down and obtain a NHL ready D-man.  If they do..it will cost them.  However, in this mock with no trades allowed, the Oiler pick one of the top 3 rated defensive prospects in this years draft.  Jacob Chychrun is a LH d-man from the Sarnia Sting out of the OHL.  He did chip in with some offense yielding 11G and 38A for a total of 49 pts in 62 games.

From Bill Placzek:

"The son of former NHL player, Jeff, plays with a calm demeanor, good feet, lateral agility and physicality. An elite defensive prospect with a tremendous package of talent. Already physically developed, he is a terrific skater with a separation gear, and a hard cutting stride and a skating base that lets him protect the puck. Possesses a strong wrist shot and is able to stickhandle with precision and accuracy through traffic. He is polished two way player with good feet, strong skills but needs to continue to hone the defensive side of his game. Already plays with an edge. With physicality in place he needs to continue maturing in his positional play. It will determine if he evolves to a impact pro or simply a good one. His puck smarts and passing ability see him as a future NHL PP guy too."

Curtis Joe of Elite Prospects - 2016 - "An unyielding two-way defenceman, Jakob Chychrun is a rising star with a toolbox bursting at the seams. Consistently displays elite four-way skating ability and is not afraid to throw his weight around physically. Plays with poise and composure through high pressure situations and, with the puck on his stick, can direct the play up-ice. Exhibits a particularly potent shot that works its magic on the power play and on the forecheck. Excellent first pass and uses his vision and awareness to keep the puck moving in the direction of the opposition's tail or to a teammate with more time and space. Defensively adept at tracking the puck and staying a step ahead of the opposition. Proactive with his stick and body, exerting pressure on the opposition and forcing them to make hurried decisions."

Chychrun could stand to add some muscle to his frame, but that is not unusual for an 18-year-old and should come with time.

Chychrun has the potential to be a franchise defender. In terms of playing style, he can be compared with Aaron Ekblad of the Florida Panthers. I caution though that this is not a talent comparison, but merely one based on style. It is difficult for 18-year-old defencemen to be NHL ready, and its unclear if Chychrun will be; however if not ready to go in the fall, he should be ready by the 2017-18 season.

Chychrun is rated between 5-10. 

A solid pick by the Oilers...

Grade = B+ (simply because Mikail Sergachyov appears to be more NHL ready and is being favorably compared to Ivan Provorov)

I suspect that Edmonton will trade this pick for an established defenseman and prospects/draft choices. The more I studied the Oilers the more convinced I became that they could do better trading this pick than using it. Yea, I considered Sergachyov, given his recent surge in the draft rankings, but I selected Chychrun because he appears to be a more solid, reliable choice, given that he is not Russian and his families history with the NHL. Only time will tell!

32 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

The more I studied the Oilers the more convinced I became that they could do better trading this pick than using it

totally agree with this statement....the questtion is who and how much will it cost....

31 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I suspect that Edmonton will trade this pick for an established defenseman and prospects/draft choices. The more I studied the Oilers the more convinced I became that they could do better trading this pick than using it. Yea, I considered Sergachyov, given his recent surge in the draft rankings, but I selected Chychrun because he appears to be a more solid, reliable choice, given that he is not Russian and his families history with the NHL. Only time will tell!

It depends on who is sold on Tkachuk enough to step up to the plate. I think this is a weak draft class and while Edmonton would love to move down, I dont know if they could find a dance partner willing to make it worth their while. Unless someone is absolutely sold on Tkachuk or Dubois I think Edmonton will have to stand pat.

What about Edmonton trading up? Seriously, a package of the number 4 and Eberle to the Jets for the number 2 and a decent forward in return to balance salary might not be bad. Laine, Hall and McDavid kind of has a nice ring to it.......

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Laine, Hall and McDavid kind of has a nice ring to it.......

Not a bad idea.... About moving up. The above said line would be deadly in a year or two .

9 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Interesting pick with Chychrun moving up.  He's been one of the fastest risers in the last 6 months.  Chychrun is the son of Former Flyers Jeff Chychrun and also the nephew of Luke Richardson.

One more post on this kid - Chychrun.  I just read this article on NHL.com  and well --  it has me wondering if the Flyers will be one team moving up in the Draft?

Jakob Chychrun, No. 4 on NHL Central Scouting's final ranking of North American skaters eligible for the 2016 NHL Draft, has played two seasons with Sarnia of the Ontario Hockey League. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound defenseman had 11 goals, 49 points, and a plus-23 rating in 62 regular-season games this season, and two goals and eight points in seven games in the OHL playoffs. Born in Boca Raton, Fla., Chychrun is the son of former NHL player Jeff Chychrun. He is in Buffalo this week taking part in the 2016 Scouting Combine at First Niagara Center and HarborCenter.

BUFFALO -- Hi everyone!

I arrived in Buffalo on Sunday night, a little later than everybody else since I was coming from Boca Raton, Fla. I settled in and got something to eat and had eight interviews Monday. I want to do well in the fitness testing, obviously, and naturally I feel I'm pretty good at these interviews. I think I'm mature and well-spoken and I'm just trying to enjoy the whole process.

Everyone tells me to enjoy the experience so I'm trying to take the advice from the people that know best.

My final interview on Monday was with the Philadelphia Flyers. It was special to be interviewed by the team that drafted my dad. He played five seasons for the Flyers and played with Flyers general manager Ron Hextall, so it was a special team for sure to be in there talking to the guys that really know my dad.

I thought the interview with Philadelphia went well. It's a good group of guys in that room. In addition to Hextall, Rick Pracey, a Flyers amateur scout, was also there, and he asked a majority of the questions. Dennis Patterson, who actually was the scout that drafted my dad in the second round in 1984, was there as well. That was very special and it's something I'll never forget.

I know what people are saying about this draft class. There's talk about how there's so many players who could be selected in the first round in different spots. But for me, I'm not really worried about it. No matter what I do I'm not going to be able to control the situation. I'm going to let everything pan out the way it's going to go and I honestly have no idea what will happen or where I'll end up on draft day. Everybody that I've talked to said it doesn't really matter where you go anyway; it matters what you do after the draft.

I look forward to spending time with my family at the draft. It's going to be a special moment. After that, then I can get excited for training camp in September.

I have 25 total interviews for the week and am looking forward to making an impression. I was asked a lot of the same questions Monday but nobody went off the beaten path.

I rode the bike every single day in Florida to prepare for the Wingate bike test Saturday. I woke up every morning and rode the bike with high intensity. Nothing can prepare you for the actual thing, but I feel as ready as I'm going to be.

I'll file another blog later in the week. Thanks for reading.

https://www.nhl.com/news/jakob-chychrun-enjoying-nhl-combine/c-280847380?tid=277764372

With the sixth pick in the draft, the Calgary Flames proudly draft Matthew Tkachuk. Tkachuk-640x416.jpgThis is a team desperately in need of forwards, with an elite group on the back end and only Gaudreau and Monahan up front, the Flames go best forward available and are delighted to find Tkachuk still sitting here waiting to be scooped up. A high energy player who goes into the corners and comes out with the puck and plays in the dirty parts of the ice with glee like is Dad. Sorry Arizona, had to scoop him up. 

Doc, I apologize and feel rather foolish, where is the mention members name function, I have never used it. I need to let Peterpuck know he is on the clock.....

22 minutes ago, MN Wild fan said:

the vancouver canucks select Pierre Luc Dubois

Great pick for Vancouver, they are getting long in the tooth and a big center with all of the tools is exactly what the doctor ordered.

14 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Doc, I apologize and feel rather foolish, where is the mention members name function, I have never used it. I need to let Peterpuck know he is on the clock.....

no worries...  all you need to do is type the symbol @ then space and a few letters of the members name and highlight it when you see the member you want to mention.  hope this helps. :)

@peter puck Arizona is now on the clock! :) 

Archived