Flyers Draft -Pascal Laberge, C, Victoriaville

AJgoal

I'll have to do more homework on the kid.

It is a head scratcher that LW has become the new goaltender or defenseman for this club. What does Hexy have against LWs??

Good thing they are stacked on D and RW so when they need one they can trade one of their 50 RWs for a true LW.

#whoneedsaleftwingwhenarightwingisavailable

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'll have to do more homework on the kid.

It is a head scratcher that LW has become the new goaltender or defenseman for this club. What does Hexy have against LWs??

Good thing they are stacked on D and RW so when they need one they can trade one of their 50 RWs for a true LW.

#whoneedsaleftwingwhenarightwingisavailable

I think they feel that good players, especially smart, versatile ones, can be turned into wingers, or play the off wing.

The  Flyers aren't alone in this thinking. GMs draft centres because they tend to be more complete hockey players. In the draft so far almost a third of the players taken so far are centres. That's probably lower than normal.

Also, you're looking at kids who likely won't be playing for another couple of years. Who knows what kind of needs the team will have then. Draft the player you think is the best available. Don't grab a player at a position just because you "need" that position.

13 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I think they feel that good players, especially smart, versatile ones, can be turned into wingers, or play the off wing.

The  Flyers aren't alone in this thinking. GMs draft centres because they tend to be more complete hockey players. In the draft so far almost a third of the players taken so far are centres. That's probably lower than normal.

Hey they could i hope take their LW next  Abramov i hope next pick. Sure he is on the small side.

10 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Also, you're looking at kids who likely won't be playing for another couple of years. Who knows what kind of needs the team will have then. Draft the player you think is the best available. Don't grab a player at a position just because you "need" that position.

Sure usually that works but when you are so thin it needs stocking. And they are thin. Not worried about now. Whomever they take needs seasoning.

I've never seen Pascal play, but I wonder how is skating really is....one scout calls him "an explosive skater" and one says "he's a good skater, but lacks speed"....which is a far cry from "explosive"....let's hope for the latter.

The Flyers best LW in the modern era was Simon Gagne, who was a natural center who shot left. Kind of like German Rubtsov. Maybe he can play LW in the right system as he shoots left too. The LW/RW moniker is usually subject to the discretion of the coaching staff. I'd take a center that knows every inch of the ice surface before a winger if the skill level is similar. 

I love the Laberge pick. What's not to like about a kid who faced serious adversity his draft year and came through it a better person. Losing his step mom to cancer, then his dad being diagnosed with prostate cancer and his biological mother having multiple sclerosis? What he had to endure I wish on no one. Yet he went through it and performed admirably. He's the kind of character guy you want to root for. I really think he's a future captain within the organization

• 2 weeks later...

Philadelphia Flyers ✔@NHLFlyers

Per GM Ron Hextall, the #Flyers have signed 2016 second-round draft pick Pascal Laberge to an entry-level contract →http://bit.ly/29TGPnk

What's nice for Laberge here is that he gets his signing bonus now, even though he's a lock to be back in the Q. Given everything that he went through this year, that money should be well received.

Archived