Meltzer's Draft Recaps

AJgoal

Day 1: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=77775&blogger_id=45

Day 2: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=45

The Flyers did a really good job at deepening their prospect pool. I like the fact that they were able to get a few guys who look to have significant upside in the late rounds. 

Was pretty happy getting basically two 1st rounders out of the 18th and a 3rd. The goalie came out of left field as I thought we were kind of set there prospect-wise, but they're so hard to predict it doesn't hurt having more. Hart has great reflexes. Don't know much about Allison. I'll assume they saw something in Twarynski from scouting Sanheim and Fazleev, so you have to trust them there. Picking Europeans with your late picks is a good strategy...I think the CHL is pretty much picked over by then.

I seem to recall a bar chart that showed probabilities of making it to the NHL after the 3rd or 4th round are somewhere around 5% .  Detroit has been a powerhouse by finding gold in the late rounds. I hope we follow in their footsteps. We seem to have gotten folks who were projected higher than picked, so I am not complaining.  The biggest beef I read is with our 1st--why not a winger?  Hexy and company probably have a great answer.  And we have gotten some good guys at wing. I guess the question becomes:  "Who's the first to make it to the big leagues?"

Howie

7 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Day 1: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=77775&blogger_id=45

Day 2: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=45

The Flyers did a really good job at deepening their prospect pool. I like the fact that they were able to get a few guys who look to have significant upside in the late rounds. 

good reads by Meltzer as usual.  I trust his knowledge and insight a hell of a lot more than the 2 current jokers who masquerade around as the current Flyers beat writers.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

good reads my Meltzer as usual.  I trust his knowledge and insight a hell of a lot more than the 2 current jokers who masquerade around as the current Flyers beat writers.

Are you including the CSN (maybe CBS?) employee from Pittsburgh who was taunting Flyers fans with, "Hey, if you weren't around in 75, this is what a parade looks like?" 

Meltzer is the only writer who covers the Flyers that I read anymore. The rest are just looking for controversy.  I can't believe Seravelli got hired by TSN.

Rubtsov, Laberge and Hart....3 first round talents....well anything on top of that is a cherry!!!

And after watching video of Wade Allison i'm thinking this kid will be a steal in about 4 years.

465.jpg

Hartnell and Jake's baby!!!

H + J = W

I wonder if he goes to Brandon Wheat Kings or Western Michigan?

Pannacio ripped on the Flyers for not taking Bellows. He said that the Flyers needed goal scoring and Bellows is a goal scorer and therefore the Flyers should have taken him. The knob goblin fails to recognize that Aube-Kubel can score goals, Konecny can score goals, Leier can score goals, Lindblom can score goals, Laberge can score goals, Allison can score goals. Honestly, Pannacio is a complete hack who does zero research about things. If he did, he'd realize that goal scoring won't be a problem.

On 27/06/2016 at 9:37 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Rubtsov, Laberge and Hart....3 first round talents....well anything on top of that is a cherry!!!

And after watching video of Wade Allison i'm thinking this kid will be a steal in about 4 years.

465.jpg

Hartnell and Jake's baby!!!

H + J = W

I wonder if he goes to Brandon Wheat Kings or Western Michigan?

He's definitely going to Western Michigan. He's already been in touch with Andy Murray and they have a program set up for him. I'm hopeful that he can become a Riley Smith type player, but more physical. Wade Allison could become a real good player, especially when Murray is going to help him with his skating. I've mentioned this in a few other places, but the Flyers are really building an embarrassment of riches with regards to prospects under Hextall. Goaltending is seven deep with regards to prospects (Stolarz, Lyon, Hart, Sandstrom, Madsen, Fedotov, Tomek ). Defense is ridiculous when you consider Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, Gostisbehere, Myers, Freidman, Hogborg. Forward is Rubtsov, Laberge, Allison, Aube-Kubel, Konecny, Lindblom, Leier, Fazleev, Vorobiev, Twarinsky, Marody, Bunnaman, Laczynski. That's incredible depth that Hextall has built. Look at those prospects listed - every one of the forwards have excellent offensive upside and all capable on the defensive side of the game. Honestly, Hextall has totally reshaped this club. This is something else.

10 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Pannacio ripped on the Flyers for not taking Bellows. He said that the Flyers needed goal scoring and Bellows is a goal scorer and therefore the Flyers should have taken him. The knob goblin fails to recognize that Aube-Kubel can score goals, Konecny can score goals, Leier can score goals, Lindblom can score goals, Laberge can score goals, Allison can score goals. Honestly, Pannacio is a complete hack who does zero research about things. If he did, he'd realize that goal scoring won't be a problem.

Come on BC....Pinnochio probably doesn't have a clue who any of those guys are.

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Come on BC....Pinnochio probably doesn't have a clue who any of those guys are.

I don't understand how Philadelphia has such bad hockey writers. Honestly, Metzler deserves a full time job with CSN Philly. Get a guy who has a clue because it's pretty clear to the fans that Pannacio doesn't know **** from shinola.

5 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't understand how Philadelphia has such bad hockey writers. Honestly, Metzler deserves a full time job with CSN Philly. Get a guy who has a clue because it's pretty clear to the fans that Pannacio doesn't know **** from shinola.

The reality is that if Meltzer had a job with CSN Philly, he wouldn't be able to write the way he does now (i.e. in depth and with substance and polysyllabic words). They would edit / force his writing into soundbites, sensationalism, and drivel.

3 hours ago, brelic said:

The reality is that if Meltzer had a job with CSN Philly, he wouldn't be able to write the way he does now (i.e. in depth and with substance and polysyllabic words). They would edit / force his writing into soundbites, sensationalism, and drivel.

I just wanted to add the the philly.com writers are just as bad - or maybe it's the editors, I'm not sure. But Carchidi's article on Rubstov was titled "Flyers trade down, select Russian involved in doping scandal."

That's the angle he chose to highlight.

It's pure clickbait.

Seems like a good thread to dump this info into....

Where the Flyers picks were located in the Hockey News top 100 prospects...

1)German Rubtsov....drafted #22 overall....ranked #23 overall

2)Pascal Laberge......drafted #36 overall....ranked #27 overall

3)Carter Hart.............drafted #48 overall....ranked #31 overall

4)Wade Allison..........drafted #52 overall.....ranked #73 overall

5)Carson Twarynski..drafted #82 overall.....ranked #82 overall

6)Connor Bunnamen drafted #109 overall....unranked

7)Linus Hoberg........drafted #139 overall.....unranked

8)Tanner Laczynski..drafted #169 overall....ranked #91 overall

9)Anthony Salinitri drafted #172 overall.....unranked

10)David Bernhardt  drafted #199 overall....ranked #99 overall

How cool is that, according to THN, we basically got 3 first round values for our 1st 3 picks (Hart ranked the top pick in the 2nd round, close enough)!

It does not mean much, but very nice job to have 7 of our 10 picks ranked in the Hockey News  top 100 prospects....some really nice value here. Does not guarantee success by any means, but a lot of scouts and GM's help compile this list, so at least on the surface, we had a respectable draft. Only Wade Allison was drafted lower than his ranking. How about our last pick....at #199 and ranked a full 99 picks before that....tremendous value there.

I have season tickets for the Spits, so Salinitri will be a direct division rival, the Sarnia Sting....will get LOTS of looks at him...and Kitchener is in our conference, giving me a few chances to see Bunnamen.

Archived