HHOF Induction Class of 2016

hf101

1011px-Hockey_Hall_of_Fame_Logo.svg.png

Announcement goes up Monday as to who is gets inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame for 2016.  No one from this first-year entrants seems impressive enough so will Eric Lindros finally make the Hall of Fame?   Who else would you like to see get inducted this year, Tkachuk, Andreychuk any others?

http://www.hhof.com/htmlInduct/ind16prolog.shtml

21 minutes ago, hf101 said:

1011px-Hockey_Hall_of_Fame_Logo.svg.png

Announcement goes up Monday as to who is gets inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame for 2016.  No one from this first-year entrants seems impressive enough so will Eric Lindros finally make the Hall of Fame?   Who else would you like to see get inducted this year, Tkachuk, Andreychuk any others?

Pretty unimpressive list of available candidates

Here's an article from TSN that lists a few possible candidates: http://www.tsn.ca/who-highlights-the-2016-hhof-class-1.320567

Here's my take: I think Lindros, Andreychuk, Joseph, Kariya, Recchi, and Makarov (due to his Soviet and inernational career) are worthy. Fleury is borderline to me, as is Osgood. Tkachuk doesn't quite make it in my opinion. I see no names on the first-timers list that I'd vote in, so I think some of the guys that have been waiting will finally get their chances, as the article suggests. This could be a good year to right some wrongs.

Very weak class, the order I would rank them:

Andreychuk. Nobody with anywhere near his stats is still on the outside. Shoulda been in before this. Easily the best of a bad bunch,

Roenick, 503 career goals and 1200 points.

Mikhailov.

Mark Recchi. Like Andreychuk, the statistics are just too much to keep him out. Yes he was a compiler but what he compiled was a HOFer career.

Maybe Brind'Amour

As for Lindros, as I have said forever now, he had Hall of Fame talent and wasted it and took his teams down with him. Lindros as a HOFer IMHIO is a joke.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Very weak class, the order I would rank them:

Andreychuk. Nobody with anywhere near his stats is still on the outside. Shoulda been in before this. Easily the best of a bad bunch,

Roenick, 503 career goals and 1200 points.

Mikhailov.

Mark Recchi. Like Andreychuk, the statistics are just too much to keep him out. Yes he was a compiler but what he compiled was a HOFer career.

Maybe Brind'Amour

As for Lindros, as I have said forever now, he had Hall of Fame talent and wasted it and took his teams down with him. Lindros as a HOFer IMHIO is a joke.

I intended to include Roenick in my post and somehow forgot. For lack of any better excuse, I'll blame it on all the sun I got yesterday. Anyway, I view him as borderline as well.

Brind'Amour... maybe... He's one of those guys I never really know what to do with. He was certainly good defensively, and others might disagree with me entirely on this, but he never really passed the eye test, imho. He had some really good seasons, but he also had some very mediocre ones.

As for Lindros... I definitely get your point. He was a jerk, showed plenty of questionable at best character, and fizzled fast, but for those few years that he was on top of his game, he was dominant. I won't really put up an argument against someone who disagrees with me since either side of the case is easily made, but his physical play, coupled with the fact that he still ended up being an above point per game player even with his sharp decline kind of does it for me.

Edit: I forgot to address Mikhailov. I absolutely agree with you there. He was offensively dominant in the heyday of the Soviet league. Since we know how strongly they played back then, that should definitely be good enough.

Andreychuk has 640 goals. I thought he was already in the HHOF. :o

Peter Bondra has a case. Another 500+ goal scorer.

Eric Lindros should be a lock because he was a pioneer. Lindros was the NHL's first power forward. He gets in for that reason alone. At his peak, he was also the total package. 

You could make a case for Mogilny getting in for being the first Russian defector into the NHL in 1989. He ushered in the era of Russians playing in the NHL. All the other guys came over after Mogilny came. He is a triple gold club member as well. They put Bure and Fedorov in, and Mogilny was as good as either of those two. 

Sergei Zubov has a case too. That guy was amazing playing through the dead puck era.

:)

6 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Eric Lindros should be a lock because he was a pioneer. Lindros was the NHL's first power forward. He gets in for that reason alone. At his peak, he was also the total package. 

:)

Huh? Cam Neely, Clark Gillies, Al Secord, Wendel Clark, Rick Tocchet off the top of my head

16 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Huh? Cam Neely, Clark Gillies, Al Secord, Wendel Clark, Rick Tocchet off the top of my head

But none of those guys really dominated with their size from what I recall. They were ordinary sized guys that threw their weight around a bit and would fight. You can add Messier and Howe to that list as well. They're all good players, but they're not Lindros.

Lindros was huge. He was so much bigger than other NHL forwards that it changed the game. At 18 he was already bigger and more filled out than NHL forwards. He would knock them around like bowling pins. Now every team has to have guys that are big (unless you're the Montreal Canadiens) or you can't win in today's NHL. :)

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Umm... Gordie Howe?

Worst class ever. Andreychuk, Mikhailov, Kariya, all better candidates. Rogie Vachon??!??? Where the Hell did that come from??!!??

Roenick, Recchi and Brind'Amour all better than crybaby Lindros. He drug every team he played for down. Maybe his Mommy and Daddy can write his speech for him. With apologies to Flyer fans, he had HOFer talent and pissed it away. I have not missed watching an induction ceremony in years, but will not be watching this one.

Congrats. I guess.

@yave1964 I agree with much of what you said, and Vachon certainly caught me off guard, but I'll still watch. While we might not agree on Lindros's worthiness, our personal opinions of him match, and yeah... Vachon... I can't figure that one out.

That said, the reason I'll still watch is because Makarov and Quinn will be going in. North America wasn't fortunate enough to watch Makarov up close until he was 31 years old, but he showed even then that he was quite a hockey player. In his prime on the KLM line, he proved himself quite worthy. Plus, the fact that he works as a liaison for Russians who want to follow in his footsteps in coming to North America, in a day that doing so is becoming more difficult makes me really like the guy personally.

Then, there's Pat Quinn. As much as I associate him with the Leafs and the playoff frustrations that my Senators had playing against him, I can't help but like him. Sure, no Cups, but he took two teams to the Finals, and currently sits at sixth in wins as a coach. It's too bad he's not still with us to enjoy his moment, but I'll look forward to the tribute to him.

22 hours ago, ScottM said:

Umm... Gordie Howe?

I look at Howe and Messier as being guys that were basically normal sized but that would throw their weight around. Lindros was a giant. He was a big guy and (unlike Lemieux) he threw his weight around too. Until Lindros came around, there had never been a player in the NHL that big who could hit harder than anyone, fight with anyone and not be embarrassed, and also lead the league in scoring. If you put Messier against someone like Domi or Probert, he would get his a$$ handed to him. He's a tough guy, but he's not enforcer tough. Lindros could fight those guys and win. Everything he did, he was the best in the game at it. And he never played on a dynasty in Philly either. Lindros was the guy for quite some time before they built somewhat of a team around him in the late 90's, but the Flyers were never good like the Oilers, Red Wings, or Rangers during Lindros's tenure there. :)

28 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I look at Howe and Messier as being guys that were basically normal sized but that would throw their weight around.

Gonna have to disagree with you, because I don't define a power forward according to size. To me, a power forward is the guy that can and does use his strength to enforce his will, and by any estimation, Gordie Howe could do that. I don't care if a guy is 5'7" or 6'4", if he can kick everyone else's butt, he can kick everyone else's butt. Lol

2 minutes ago, ScottM said:

Gonna have to disagree with you, because I don't define a power forward according to size. To me, a power forward is the guy that can and does use his strength to enforce his will, and by any estimation, Gordie Howe could do that. I don't care if a guy is 5'7" or 6'4", if he can kick everyone else's butt, he can kick everyone else's butt. Lol

Yeah I guess you're right.  :ok:  I'm just surprised Lindros isn't in the HOF.  

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Lindros could fight those guys and win. Everything he did, he was the best in the game at it. 

Yeah, like winning the Stanley Cup. Oh...wait...

Well, I guess technically speaking, that's actually not one of the things he did, so....

;-P

i wonder what the beef with Andrychuk is ? .... i know "compiler" but his career numbers are worthy, he was a good dude.  He lead a team to the cup, even though he wasn't it's best player, he was the heart and soul of that bolts team. If he can't get in with this competition i don't think he will...which i think is too bad.

as for Lindros...Big E was a force and the game's best player for about 3 years and in those 3 years he beat the **** out of the league.  He would most likely have a cup had he not been contemporaries with Martin Brodeur and Scott Stevens, his career numbers would have been shoo in numbers had he learned to skate with his head up .  He is a borderline case, no argument there, but if Cam Neely can get in then so can Eric Lindros who would have kicked the **** out of Cam Neely. 

@mojo1917 @yave1964 If I were to name my biggest gripe about the selection, it would be the omission of Andreychuk. It's not like they didn't have another slot they could have filled. Some people talk about him like the number of games he played in is a problem. That makes no sense to me. What makes sense to me is to point out how impressive it is that he was able to stay in the league that long and remain a productive player. That's something to celebrate, not scorn.

11 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

Yeah, like winning the Stanley Cup. Oh...wait...

Well, I guess technically speaking, that's actually not one of the things he did, so....

;-P

LOL. ;)

But you need to have a good team around you, and Lindros broke into the league on a crappy Flyers team (if I recall correctly) and they were very much a one man or one line team for a long time. They ran into the Red Wings dynasty in the Cup final one year and got schooled. The Flyers couldn't compete against the Wings back then. It was a mismatch. 

13 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

If you put Messier against someone like Domi or Probert, he would get his a$$ handed to him. He's a tough guy, but he's not enforcer tough. Lindros could fight those guys and win. Everything he did, he was the best in the game at it. 

Sorry though Lindros was a big fella, he'd have gotten his ass handed to him by Probert and his kind as well.  He knew it and fought people in his class.  

As as for being the best at everything he did?  I guess skating with his head up wasn't among those things.  

5 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

LOL. ;)

But you need to have a good team around you, and Lindros broke into the league on a crappy Flyers team (if I recall correctly) and they were very much a one man or one line team for a long time. They ran into the Red Wings dynasty in the Cup final one year and got schooled. The Flyers couldn't compete against the Wings back then. It was a mismatch. 

If I remember correctly, the Flyers of that era were known as the Legion of Broom...:5726ba4ad74b2_blowingakiss:

Archived