Congratulations to Eric Lindros

EDI-Flyer

Absolutely awesome.  Well deserved.  My favorite Flyer ever and my favorite coach gets in too,  Just booked my hotel rooms for that weekend in TO.  Hopefully I'm still on the HHOF mailing list so I get first dibs on tickets.  Hopefully the Phantoms will be on the road then or else I'll be selling my seats.

49 minutes ago, EDI-Flyer said:

Made it into the Hall of Fame at last, great to see him recognised.

And also to Pat Quinn, well deserved.

Agreed, Quinn and the Flyers got screwed out of a cup in 1980 against the Islanders. As for Lindros, long time coming and he deserves it. Often wonder what the Legion of Doom line would have done playing in today's NHL.

He was the one who drew me into hockey and mesmerized me when i had never had much chance ever growing up down south to ever watch much of any hockey in the south.

After watching him play like a bull in a china shop i was hooked i was just 19. Hockey and the Flyers had found a new fan. I'm happy for him easily my favorite Flyer ever. 

Eric-Lindros.jpg

Cl-4PEhWYAA5fDC.jpg

I paid alot of money for that Score Rookie Card #440, it's worth less than I paid in 1995 but I bought when the market was high! 

Congrats to Eric, wish he kept his head up little more though

Screw Lindros. It was never about the team when he played here. It was always about what players could play with Eric, what guys didn't pass him the puck enough, who the Flyers had to sign as free agents, which coaches needed to be fired. He was a nightmare and his parents were even worse. I was so happy when that piece of crap was traded out of town. I hate the man and can't believe he made it in before a guy like Mark Recchi. Recchi was a great Flyer and it was too bad that Bobby Clarke couldn't realize that.

4 hours ago, sarsippius said:

I paid alot of money for that Score Rookie Card #440, it's worth less than I paid in 1995 but I bought when the market was high! 

I hope you don't dabble in the stock market!  :)

It will probably go up in value now that he is a HHOFer.

18 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Screw Lindros. It was never about the team when he played here. It was always about what players could play with Eric, what guys didn't pass him the puck enough, who the Flyers had to sign as free agents, which coaches needed to be fired. He was a nightmare and his parents were even worse. I was so happy when that piece of crap was traded out of town. I hate the man and can't believe he made it in before a guy like Mark Recchi. Recchi was a great Flyer and it was too bad that Bobby Clarke couldn't realize that.

you probably need to get that case of butthurt looked at, it seems to be festering, given we are 16 years past lindros playing in philly.

the guy was the focal point of hockey for several years.   regardless of what you thought of him or the fact that his career didn't last long, he is a player people should know about when they look back in 30 years.  love him or hate him, he was The big deal of his (brief) era.  i see the HOF as a time capsule for future hockey fans, a tour of who and what was important to the game over the years.  he was definitely that.

by the end, i was on the clarke side of the controversy and thought lindros handled himself remarkably poorly, was glad to see him go and was even excited about the thin returns.  that doesn't change how important to the game and the team he was before the wheels came off.

4 minutes ago, aziz said:

you probably need to get that case of butthurt looked at, it seems to be festering, given we are 16 years past lindros playing in philly.

the guy was the focal point of hockey for several years.   regardless of what you thought of him or the fact that his career didn't last long, he is a player people should know about when they look back in 30 years.  love him or hate him, he was The big deal of his (brief) era.  i see the HOF as a time capsule for future hockey fans, a tour of who and what was important to the game over the years.  he was definitely that.

by the end, i was on the clarke side of the controversy and thought lindros handled himself remarkably poorly, was glad to see him go and was even excited about the thin returns.  that doesn't change how important to the game and the team he was before the wheels came off.

First of all, you know nothing about me, so you can keep your opinions to yourself with regards to me. I've been a fan of the Flyers for nearly 40 years now. There has never been a divisive influence or person on the Flyers like Lindros. Maybe he was a good player, but he was a lousy teammate with an incredible heightened sense of entitlement that often clashed with others. The Hall of Fame reflects the best of hockey. That includes more than the on ice product. That includes how they behaved in the locker room and in public. Lindros wad given far too much leeway by everyone around him and the moment people tried to reel him in, he rebelled. As well, look as every place he's played hockey. He's burned every bridge there. That should speak in volumes about the person he was. He was a jackass and despite being a decent player on ice, his off ice attitude and behaviour should have never been rewarded by getting elected to the hall of fame. 

12 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

First of all, you know nothing about me, so you can keep your opinions to yourself with regards to me. I've been a fan of the Flyers for nearly 40 years now. There has never been a divisive influence or person on the Flyers like Lindros. Maybe he was a good player, but he was a lousy teammate with an incredible heightened sense of entitlement that often clashed with others. The Hall of Fame reflects the best of hockey. That includes more than the on ice product. That includes how they behaved in the locker room and in public. Lindros wad given far too much leeway by everyone around him and the moment people tried to reel him in, he rebelled. As well, look as every place he's played hockey. He's burned every bridge there. That should speak in volumes about the person he was. He was a jackass and despite being a decent player on ice, his off ice attitude and behaviour should have never been rewarded by getting elected to the hall of fame. 

first, i'm sorry about the crack, there was no need for it.  so...sorry about that.

as for the rest, frankly, i don't see the HOF as a reward.  i see it as documentation.  yes, the players are proud to get in, but that isn't the point.  those players will be gone one day, but the HOF remains to tell the story of hockey over the years.  the idea that the story of the 1990s should be told without highlighting lindros is just wrong, to me.  i don't care how terrible a teammate he was, or how entitled he acted, or how petulant he became, how meddling his parents were, or any of it.  he was HUGELY important to the sport during that time, and so his entry into the HOF is required, imo.  when the question is asked, "who were the really important players that shaped the game from 1992 through 2000," you cannot answer without listing lindros.  that, to me, is the entire point of the hall.  i care zero about the honor of it, that is secondary and almost coincidental.  it is a history lesson, and he definitely belongs in it.

edit:  fwiw, i would also like to see all of the controversy about him included.  the refusal to sign in quebec, The Two Trades, the concussions, the feud with clarke.  it shouldn't be about flattery and fan service/player felating, it should, again, be the important things in hockey in a given era.  lindros's negatives are as much a part of that as his positives.

I could see the hate of some on him in here as well. I also saw it on Rinaldo when he scored a goal that reminded me of Lindros.

Either way they both made an impact on Hockey and their hits could turn around a game.

Would of liked to see both play at the same time on this team now. 

I didn't like what he did when Quebec drafted him. He is the only reason why I am glad the Flyers lost in the Finals. (Yes, I would have been rooting for the Flyers if he wasn't on the team!

On 6/28/2016 at 2:08 PM, sarsippius said:

Congrats to Eric, wish he kept his head up little more though

I have the same card...got it autographed by him when he played for the Generals...he wasn't even a dick about it. :DancingGrape:

5 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

I didn't like what he did when Quebec drafted him. He is the only reason why I am glad the Flyers lost in the Finals. (Yes, I would have been rooting for the Flyers if he wasn't on the team!

Me neither...then the gm went and traded him to TWO teams...showing he was every bit as much of a jerk as Lindros.

23 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Me neither...then the gm went and traded him to TWO teams...showing he was every bit as much of a jerk as Lindros.

Who was the other team? I remember that happening just forget the 2nd team!

On 6/29/2016 at 1:37 PM, aziz said:

love him or hate him, he was The big deal of his (brief) era.  i see the HOF as a time capsule for future hockey fans, a tour of who and what was important to the game over the years.  he was definitely that.

Wise words, a wonderful insight there, have to agree.

On 6/29/2016 at 2:03 PM, aziz said:

as for the rest, frankly, i don't see the HOF as a reward.  i see it as documentation.  yes, the players are proud to get in, but that isn't the point.  those players will be gone one day, but the HOF remains to tell the story of hockey over the years.  the idea that the story of the 1990s should be told without highlighting lindros is just wrong, to me.  i don't care how terrible a teammate he was, or how entitled he acted, or how petulant he became, how meddling his parents were, or any of it.  he was HUGELY important to the sport during that time, and so his entry into the HOF is required, imo.  when the question is asked, "who were the really important players that shaped the game from 1992 through 2000," you cannot answer without listing lindros.  that, to me, is the entire point of the hall.  i care zero about the honor of it, that is secondary and almost coincidental.  it is a history lesson, and he definitely belongs in it.

Again, a very insightful post, hard to disagree with this logic.

On 6/28/2016 at 6:38 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I get where you are coming from. I do think Eric getting in was a product of a very slow year for inductees. As far as being jerk, I blame Bonnie and Clyde...who never, ever could cut the apron strings. They are a prime example of how hockey parents should "not" be. His ego was as big as his talent. When he was dealt, I rejoiced....but he gave me many, many years of great times, for which I will be forever grateful. There was a real love/hate thing between myself and Eric. The good outweigh the bad, but it is close.

I often wonder, what would have this team had Farwell not made this move. We gave up a LOT....and I always wonder if he gave up a Cup to acquire him. The move left us with no offense, thus the Crazy 8 line, which would never have been a top line during that era was it not for Eric. Brent Fedyk....a top line guy...give me a break, but it showed just how depleted this trade left us. As Aziz wisely pointed out....Eric was a BIG part of the story the 90's had to tell...for that reason alone, he should be in.

I think it's disgraceful that Recchi did not make it...not only does he have the stats....he won the Cup with "3" different teams...and that was no fluke, he was a BIG part of all of those teams.....outrageous he was passed over.

• 4 months later...

"I'd like to thank hockey fans, especially Philadelphia Flyers Fans". -Eric Lindros HHOF acceptance speech

Eric also thanked his line mates, John LeClair and Mikael Renberg..."for their intensity and joy. I was lucky to be your centerman."

First time I've ever cheered for a speech!  Still scoring goals!!

Archived