Vanek?

brelic

I was reading Spector's rumours this morning, and they mentioned the Rags maybe going after Vanek on a one-year deal because that's likely the most he would get as a 'reclamation' project. 

I completely forgot about him - he's a left winger and might be a good fit for the Flyers because a) he can still score goals, b) he'd be cheap, and c) he would have a reasonable length contract (1-2 years).

He put up 18g, 23a (41pts) in 74 games last year.

Thoughts?

@flyercanuck @hf101

Really? That bad? He made $6.5M last year, and I was thinking if they can get him for $4-5M on a 1-2 year deal, it might be worth looking at. There are very few UFA options that we can get on such a short deal to fill the hole at wing.

WHat are our better / realistic options?

Just now, brelic said:

@flyercanuck @hf101

Really? That bad? He made $6.5M last year, and I was thinking if they can get him for $4-5M on a 1-2 year deal, it might be worth looking at. There are very few UFA options that we can get on such a short deal to fill the hole at wing.

Vanek has been a huge underachiever for both the Sabres and the Wild. If he can't be motivated to play for that kind of money, what's he going to be like for even less, at 32 years of age?

I'd rather pay a nobody.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Vanek has been a huge underachiever for both the Sabres and the Wild. If he can't be motivated to play for that kind of money, what's he going to be like for even less, at 32 years of age?

I'd rather pay a nobody.

I guess my question would be why you feel he's an underachiever? I think Vanek's career numbers are just fine, and he would likely pot 20 goals easily with Giroux and Jake dishing him the puck. I'd even say 25. 

Vanek, IMO, was a victim of the offer sheet. It inflated his salary to a level that was not sustainable. But Vanek, the player, has put up pretty consistent numbers over his career.

He's not a great skater.  Also, there were questions about his work ethic/desire in Minnesota.  Has pretty good hands, but I've read he's more of a playmaker than a finisher now.   Don't know if that's accurate, just something I read.  But the Flyers need someone to bury the puck, not set it up.  

Doubt the Flyers sign him..he's older and not a huge impact player. From what Hextall has said, those are the types of UFA's he does NOT want to sign--at this point. 

I still maintain that much of what is wrong with the Wild wingers is lack of a true 1C center. I believe that Vanek is still capable of 25 goals on the right team.

The problem is he scores in bunches and he is a defensive liability, so when not on a streak he is less than useless. But 25 goals are 25 goals, if he comes cheap enough he will help someone.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

@flyercanuck @hf101

I'd put my effort into signing Jimmy Vesey come Auvust 15th.

In i seen Issac saying he suspected Hextall to do just that steal a college free agent like what was done with Matt Read.

Vanek is a floater that doesn't like to back check or play in his own zone. As others have mentioned his work ethic while in Buffalo and Minny has come into question. Not the kind of player we want for the rebuild. I'd give Weal a regular chance before thinking of signing Vanek.

Nothing to see here, move along

1 hour ago, Poulin20 said:

No thanks...this would be a Homer / Clarke move.  I'm so done with that.  Hexy or bust!!

I strongly disagree. A Homer / Clarke move would be signing Hathje for 5 years each. It would be signing Bryzgalov to 9 years. It would be trading a 1st rounder for Eminger. It would be signing MacDud to a 6-year/ $30M contract based on 19 games of mediocre hockey. 

Signing a guy like Vanek for 1-2 years to bridge the Konecny/Aube-Kubel gap sounds responsible. 

I know a lot of people like Ladd, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and will want 5+ years, I'm sure. 

So, I'm not saying Vanek is my target - but I like the *idea* of Vanek because he can had for cheap, and short-term. Despite his shortcomings, he's a known goal-scoring quantity. And the Flyers have trouble scoring goals. 

Who else fits that mold? I've seen Brandon Pirri's name bandied about, but he's far from established - though he is young. Lucic will want 5-7 years and $6M-ish, which doesn't sound reasonable considering what Forsberg just got. I'll take Forsberg 11 times out of 10.

Stempniak? Brouwer? Hardly top line options.

Or maybe Hextall stands pat and goes with Schenn/G/Simmer, and Raffl/Coots/Voracek?

8 minutes ago, brelic said:

I strongly disagree. A Homer / Clarke move would be signing Hathje for 5 years each. It would be signing Bryzgalov to 9 years. It would be trading a 1st rounder for Eminger. It would be signing MacDud to a 6-year/ $30M contract based on 19 games of mediocre hockey. 

Signing a guy like Vanek for 1-2 years to bridge the Konecny/Aube-Kubel gap sounds responsible. 

I know a lot of people like Ladd, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and will want 5+ years, I'm sure. 

So, I'm not saying Vanek is my target - but I like the *idea* of Vanek because he can had for cheap, and short-term. Despite his shortcomings, he's a known goal-scoring quantity. And the Flyers have trouble scoring goals. 

Who else fits that mold? I've seen Brandon Pirri's name bandied about, but he's far from established - though he is young. Lucic will want 5-7 years and $6M-ish, which doesn't sound reasonable considering what Forsberg just got. I'll take Forsberg 11 times out of 10.

Stempniak? Brouwer? 

Or maybe Hextall stands pat and goes with Schenn/G/Simmer, and Raffl/Coots/Voracek?

Jiri Tlusty wouldn't be bad on a one year deal. It would give G two Czech wingers.

Worth a roll of the dice i think.

24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Jiri Tlusty wouldn't be bad on a one year deal. It would give G two Czech wingers.

Worth a roll of the dice i think.

That's true - they could keep G in czech. ;)

I'll let myself out haha!

But is Tlusty really a top line winger? I don't see it.

11 minutes ago, brelic said:

That's true - they could keep G in czech. ;)

I'll let myself out haha!

But is Tlusty really a top line winger? I don't see it.

I'm not sure he has never played with skill like G and Jake. But at worst you try him and he is better suited for the 2nd then you could look to put Brayden back there maybe.

I think Vanek is done. If the Flyers sign anyone, I'd love to see someone like Brandon Pirri get signed. Young enough to turn things around. I'd also like to see them go after Joe Colborne. Could be a good guy to have in a line with Laughton and Cousins.

@brelic

Vanek's career numbers ARE just fine....

However, since being traded from Buffalo, his overall skills and his contributions have been declining at a steady clip and I'd venture to say won't change anytime soon.

I couldn't tell you the reasons why, but in Minnesota he had all the motivation needed to stay at a high level: He was playing near 'home', was playing for a young, hungry team, was playing for a speedy, balanced type offense with a mind for good defense and goaltending and was often paired with guys like Mikko Koivu and Zach Parise.

None of that seemed to matter as his own contributions were far from what a team and its fanbase expect from a 'goal scorer', let alone one making the kind of money he was.

He found himself oftentimes on the third or fourth lines on a team that many times had trouble finding the back of the net and I have been to a number of Wild games since he was signed on, and I can tell you, when things don't go his way he is visibly upset on the ice, seems to lose focus.........and worse yet, the OTHER team sees that and plays into it by trying to frustrate him further, either by double teaming him along the boards, pressuring him when he has the puck to eventually cough it up or make a bad pass somewhere, or simply continue to check him until he takes a bad penalty.

Now, if a team like the Flyers can miraculously turn things around for him, then more power to them and to Vanek himself.

But from where I sit, and at age 32, he seems to have lost that 'fire in the belly', as my Daddy likes to say, needed to be an NHL player....especially a HIGH level NHL player.

Streaky to no offense, not particularly good on defense anymore (was he ever?), and yes, his skating isn't as sharp...all that tells me even at 3.5-4M, he would be a disappointment at this stage of his career.

My guess is, with the rebuild the Flyers are doing, Philly could do better with a young hungry AHL'er to fill in any left wing needs and the price for something like that would be much more palatable for the team.

If the Flyers were on the cusp of contending, then I'd say they should go all out and try to trade for a real difference maker at LW, or sign even a cement head like Lucic who would likely be more of a factor at LW than Thomas Vanek nowadays.

My 39 cents.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Thanks for the insight TFG. Much appreciated. 

I I haven't watched him very much so I don't see what you see by being familiar with him. 

It sounds like he may be done. I still think he'd be good for 20+ goals but if it comes with an attitude and poor work ethic, then you're probably right that it's not worth it. 

I just hope the Flyers find someone on a short term if they sign anyone at all. 

My Homer /Clarke reference is due to the fact that he is a washed up has been, contract length and money dont come into play in my assessment although they are famous for overpaying with ridiculous contract lengths.  To me this is like getting another Zherdev type guy.

2 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

My Homer /Clarke reference is due to the fact that he is a washed up has been, contract length and money dont come into play in my assessment although they are famous for overpaying with ridiculous contract lengths.  To me this is like getting another Zherdev type guy.

Zherdev was at least younger.

I'd give Vanek a prove it contract to play with the VeeGees, but it would be 1Y and less than $4M and there would be a big hook waiting.

Archived