Flyers Lineup 2016 - 2017

I know it's a bit early, but as a topic it will at least pump some circulation in our brains to start us on our way:

Raffl - Giroux - Simmonds(because Raffl was scoring 20+ goals)

Voracek - Couturier - Schenn(can make Coots be a 20+ goalser)

Laughton - Cousins - Weise(10+ goals a piece?)

Read - Gordon - Bellemare(Read and to a lesser extant Belly +goals)

Defensive pairs: TBA

I think this might allow us to spread the goals and to help out our players score more goals. If we put all our eggs in one basket, then we're gonna crack alot of eggs as we get hit up.

G helped Raffs game and having Simmer play up there will help him stay up in goals.

Coots will be the benifactor of having Vora and Schenn play along him to score more and have that line produce more goals and be potent as a high possesion line.

The third line is a wildcard line and can hope to score at least 10+ goals each and be a line that can win us some games in a long 82 game season.

The fourth line has some potential to be the difference maker in putting the game winner goal/standing goal in a close 2 to 1 or 2 to 3 third period regulation low scoring game win.

This wouldn't be my ideal line up but a line up that seems to be setup as a team to play as a team so that we can win as a team and not be in the playoffs as a second wild card seed running on fumes.

I'm always open to the betterment of the team with some other suggestions to the improvement of the species.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barring trades/FAs:

Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds

Laughton - Couturier - Voracek

Raffl - Cousins - Weise

Bellemare - Gordon - Read

MDZ - Gudas

MacDonald - Ghost

Streit - Manning/Schultz

• 2 weeks later...

Flyers to appear on NBC or NBCSN 20 times during 2016-17 season

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/7/21/12251148/flyers-to-appear-on-nbc-or-nbcsn-20-times-during-2016-17-season

Date Away Home Network Time (ET)
Tue., Oct. 18 Philadelphia Chicago NBCSN 8:30 p.m.
Tue., Oct. 25 Buffalo Philadelphia NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Wed., Nov. 2 Detroit Philadelphia NBCSN 8 p.m.
Wed., Nov. 23 Philadelphia Tampa Bay NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Fri., Nov. 25 N.Y. Rangers Philadelphia NBC 1 p.m.
Tue., Nov. 29 Boston Philadelphia NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Wed., Dec. 14 Philadelphia Colorado NBCSN 10 p.m.
Wed., Dec. 21 Washington Philadelphia NBCSN 8 p.m.
Wed., Dec. 28 Philadelphia St. Louis NBCSN 8 p.m.
Wed., Jan. 4 N.Y. Rangers Philadelphia NBCSN 8 p.m.
Wed., Jan. 25 Philadelphia N.Y. Rangers NBCSN 8 p.m.
Mon., Feb. 6 St. Louis Philadelphia NBCSN 7 p.m.
Thur., Feb. 9 N.Y. Islanders Philadelphia NBCSN 7 p.m.
Wed., Feb. 22 Washington Philadelphia NBCSN 8 p.m.
Sat., Feb. 25 Philadelphia Pittsburgh NBC 8 p.m.
Tue., Feb. 28 Colorado Philadelphia NBCSN 7 p.m.
Tue., Mar. 7 Philadelphia Buffalo NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Wed., Mar. 15 Pittsburgh Philadelphia NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Sun., Mar. 26 Philadelphia Pittsburgh NBC 12:30 p.m.
Sun., Apr. 2 Philadelphia N.Y. Rangers NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Sat., Apr. 8 TBD TBD NBCSN TBD
Sun., Apr. 9 TBD TBD NBCSN TBD

@OccamsRazor

Sucks for me.....I have to say, I hate most of the announcers on NBC (Pierre, Doc, etc.)  Our local boys may be a little bit homer-ish but the national guys kill me.  

Although that being said.....I can't wait for the season to start!!!!!

Howdy:

This is a marginal playoff club. We will be taken more seriously by opponents given our year-end run.  The line up may be marginally better. Those factors wash.  It is hard to factor any callups/promotions from the A.  If I understand the expansion stuff, players with fewer than 70 games between this season and last, or forty games in 2017, will be draft ineligible. That tells me Hexy will keep folks down on the farm until post-Turkey Day, if at all.  So....we will live and die by good goaltending and/or Voracek returning to form.  Schenn might explode or deteriorate.  

I think the goaltending issue comes to a head in a strange way.  I think Mason and Neuvirth will play their way out O and B uniforms...by being either too good or too mediocre.  Either way, contract years bring the best out of players, so we will probably benefit. 

I am looking forward to the season.  

Howie

41 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Howdy:

This is a marginal playoff club. We will be taken more seriously by opponents given our year-end run.  The line up may be marginally better. Those factors wash.  It is hard to factor any callups/promotions from the A.  If I understand the expansion stuff, players with fewer than 70 games between this season and last, or forty games in 2017, will be draft ineligible. That tells me Hexy will keep folks down on the farm until post-Turkey Day, if at all.  So....we will live and die by good goaltending and/or Voracek returning to form.  Schenn might explode or deteriorate.  

I think the goaltending issue comes to a head in a strange way.  I think Mason and Neuvirth will play their way out O and B uniforms...by being either too good or too mediocre.  Either way, contract years bring the best out of players, so we will probably benefit. 

I am looking forward to the season.  

Howie

No. The only draft ineligibles are 1st or 2nd year pros. The 70/40 rule is teams must expose a certain number of players who played that many NHL games (Either 70 in the past two seasons, or 40 this coming season).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So a little bit of good news on this slow boring morning......

Jake Voracek looks ready for a bounce-back season

Jake Voracek looks ready for a bounce-back season

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers/jake-voracek-looks-ready-for-a-bounce-back-season/

Well he looks to be in good shape i think a hungry Jake bodes well for the whole club. I can't wait till the puck drops....even an unimportant preseason hockey game...

....i just want some HOCKEY!!!!!!!!

:toast:

I hate seeing Raffl in the top six. He has no business being there. I have high hopes that Laughton has a monster camp and ends up on a line with Couturier and Voracek. Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds should be the first line. I like the idea of Raffl playing with Cousins - Weise and then a fourth line of Bellemare - Gordon - Read (would prefer Read actually be moved, but the guy is good defensively and maybe he can add a little extra pop to that fourth line). As for the defense, that's going to be tough. I'd look at revamping some of the pairs. For instance, I'd pair Gostisbehere with Gudas, Del Zotto with Schultz and Streit with MacDonald. I'd love to see Provorov crack the lineup, but unless one of MacDonald, Streit or Schultz gets moved, I can't see him cracking the lineup until a contract is freed up. They aren't going to waste him as a 7th defenseman like Manning. The goaltending position doesn't change either - Mason is the starter, Neuvirth is the backup. However, this has to be the year that they find a way to get Stolarz into the lineup to see what he can do. 

I understand the hesitancy of Raffl on the top line and his holding back on shooting the puck at times, but we need to spread out our talent or we are going to get killed at the end of the season or before. This goes along with our newhire approach of scientifically overusing our players and another reason we picked up Gordon and to some extent Weise as well.

I would use Schenn: 1. at top line on some offensive draws. 2. On the Power Play. 3. As a secondary barrage attack with Coots line.

If Raffl can turn on the switch in his head to will himself to score. I believe he has the talent to put it in the net. Of course I would have him work on shooting drills every time after the game and put in the extra work on other days. He has to will himself to be in that category and he can/will be a 20+(more likely)or 30 goal scorer.

Here's an article I pulled up that I recall was written about him.

The key is we need to spread our talent around on players that can complement other players. If it was an exhibition All Star Game, then of course I would put all my eggs in one basket. But in an 82 season grinding marathon. I want to save as many eggs as can possibly be saved.

I like Schenn playing with Coots and maybe put Weise in their as another tough scoring winger, if Laughton can crack that position, I would like to see it happen to add the drive on that line to maintain possession and cycle around the offensive zone.

Trent Klatt was assumed to have no business on the top line, but he took advantage of the situation and started to produce.

I was baffled, I'm willing to take that Raffl...on him.

Disclaimer: When Travis Konecny comes on board...all bets are off!

Flyers Notes: Raffl thrives on Flyers' top line

By Sam Carchidi, Inquirer Staff Writer

POSTED: January 01, 2014

VANCOUVER, British Columbia - When the Flyers were among the teams courting Michael Raffl last season, some club officials estimated that the Austrian would have to spend a year in the AHL to get used to the smaller North American rinks.

The sturdy 6-foot, 195-pound winger is a year ahead of schedule.

Raffl, a 25-year-old rookie, has been thrust onto the Flyers' top line with Claude Giroux and Jake Voracek, and entering Monday he had a goal and four assists in his first seven games with that unit. More important, his speed and strong play along the boards had helped ignite his linemates to the best scoring streaks of their careers.

Entering Monday's tough matchup in Vancouver, the Flyers were 5-1-1 since that line was put together.

Raffl, signed as an undrafted free agent in May, struggled earlier this season and failed to score a goal in his first 17 games. Still, there were positive signs.

"When he first came up, he was doing a lot of good things without the puck, and defensively, and he could kill penalties," coach Craig Berube said before the game. "But you have to adapt to the quickness with the puck, be able to get your shot off, move the puck, that kind of stuff. He's doing a good job; he's played well."

Raffl played in a lower-level league in Sweden last season - he had 24 goals in 49 games - and then played two games with Adirondack of the AHL this year before getting the call-up to the Flyers.

"I feel good, but I think I can still get better," said Raffl, who will play for Austria in the Winter Olympics. "I have room to improve even more; I'm trying to get better every day, and we'll see how far I can get."

Playing on a line with Giroux and Voracek seems to have sped up his development.

"Obviously, you get more time in [the opponent's] end and you get more scoring chances," Raffl said, "so I think it's easier to score goals and points if you play with those guys."

Raffl gave the Flyers a 4-3 shootout win in Edmonton Saturday in the opener of their six-game road trip. He scored on the first NHL shootout attempt of his young career, going wide and lifting the puck high over Ilya Bryzgalov.

Before he went onto the ice, Raffl joked with teammate Scott Hartnell.

"Hartsy, I got this," he told him.

"I was laughing, but I just tried to be confident*," Raffl said. "If you go down there and be scared, you've already missed, I think. It was a fun experience."

Breakaways

Goalie Steve Mason, Monday's starter, entered the night 6-0-2 in his last eight starts and 13-2-4 in his last 19 appearances. . . . Brayden Schenn began the night in a 16-game slump without a goal.

* Confidence is key here...

scarchidi@phillynews.com

Raffl has shown he can put 20 in playing a top line role. The problem from where I sit is that the other guys on his line make HIM better and he doesn't do much of anything to elevate THEIR game.

He's the very definition of "serviceable" in the role, but if you want to take Giroux's to the next level again, he's going to need more than a Raffl in that role IMO.

That's the thing. We have certain pieces right now. Not necessarily the most optimum, but What are we going to do with those pieces. We can certainly put the most powerful pieces together on the first line and roll the dice and hope that the majority of the shifts are on the positive possession/scoring side. But we go back to overworking our best pieces in an 82 game season. I'm looking at the long game/season. Raffle is in a way like Vinny Leino in holding on to the puck, can buy some time.

He might not necessarily elevate Giroux's game but he doesn't weigh him down. He can give him some breathing/positional room to be were he needs to be to score or assist on a goal by whoever is on the other wing.

I believe in order to be able to reach the playoffs again this year in a better healthier position is to spread out our talent of what we have. Unless we have a secondary consistent scoring line, we need to spare our first line the unsanctimonious position of being what the other teams are attacking.

At one point a few years ago when Read was a 20+ goal scorers and our other players where contributing, I believe we had 6 to 10 players who scored 20 or more goals and about 15 total who were in double digits of 10 or more. We gave Read that bigger, better contract and we had high hopes of Schenn, Coots, and other were going to be improving as well.

Right now there are some question marks on our offense because of last years results. We were actually pretty close to middle tier offensively if bounce had gone our way. I think a part of the problem was the other teams focusing on shutting down our top line.

What we have as given:

Giroux is our suppose top player: 1st line type.

Jake is our most dynamic player: 1st line type.

Simmonds is our top goal scorer at the moment(good for him and his hard work): 1st line player.

Schenn is on a teetering position of being a clutch, consistent, goto scoring player(all signs point to yes, but what will happen this year): 1st line player.

Couturier is our best two way player(should be a more dynamic offensive player scoring at least 20+ goals a year, he's not there yet): 2nd/3rd line player by current stats.

Once upon a time Read was our 20+ goal scoring, (high end defensive/offensive player): 3rd line player now? 4th?

Once upon a same time Raffle scored 20+ goals and was a solid possession player(who is he going to be this year?): 2nd/3rd line player.

Laughton not sure what's he going to do this year. He either gets a hold of himself and tells himself "he can do this" and become the player he can be: 2-4th line player.
Cousins yes and up and comer, what are we going to see him do this year(promising and trending the right way) 3rd+ line player, heading up?

Wiese will be interesting to see.(I'm hoping he is the clutch/aggressive player, playoff game winner he might turn out to be?The Dutch Gretzky?) top six/nine line player?

Bellemare can chip in some key goals and is defensively responsible(can see him taking on an Alternate Captain approach and try to win some games)3/4th line player.

Gordon will hopefully be a key player in relieving Giroux of all his spread out responsibilities. 4th line player.

Weal don't know if he'll get a chance to stick around long enough to showcase his talent. 2- 4th line player.

I do think Occams lines are doable:

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek(your alpha line, but at what cost?)

Raffl-Coots-Simmer(would prefer Schenn here because they were doing so well together with Read at one time.(on paper a solid second line, that SHOULD produce)

Laughton-Cousins-Weise(interesting what this line can end up being, this might turn out to be our new untouchable line. Bring your lunch pale and just go to work)

Bellemare-Gordon-Read/Weal(hoping they continue where last years line was at and actually be a viable goal scoring 4th line, with 2 offensively capable shooters)

On 8/26/2016 at 3:39 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I have high hopes that Laughton has a monster camp and ends up on a line with Couturier and Voracek.

I'm hoping the same thing, I was told a Mike Richards 2.0 beta

Honestly, to begin the year, I would stick Read on the 1st or 2nd line to see if he's got anything left. Give him 10 games there to see how he performs and go from there with him (pretty sure he can play both sides). I don't understand why people have Cousins penciled into the 3rd line center spot. He's shown nothing to say he should be there. He's not good on face-offs and he's not very strong defensively. I don't think he has much of a future here unless he comes into camp a lot better than expected. I don't see Laughton being anything more than a 3rd liner (which is fine). I'm hoping he has a godo enough camp to secure that 3rd line center spot.

Read/Schenn-Giroux-Voracek

Schenn/Read-Couturier-Simmonds

Raffl-Laughton-Weise

Bellemare-Gordon-Cousins/Weal/???

I want Read gone, real bad. Decent wheels, nothing else to offer. I had hopes a few years back that he could supply some offense from the bottom six....those days are gone. A kid like Leier could take his spot with a nice camp. I also really hope Raffl is traded, if he's not in the top six (and yeah, he has NO business in the top six) Lets give that spot to someone with actual upside. No way does Raffl ever get 20 goals again, it wasg a fluke.

I also think Laughton can add some offense. I'd like to see him start on the 2nd line, see how he does. He is smart, is strong on the puck and forechecks well, much rather see Laughts in the top 6 than Raffl. This is a huge year for Laughts, he has to produce, his career is on the line...I believe in him.

It would be nice to see Leier and AK on a line this year. Wouldn't mind if AK gets another 3/4 season in AHL to put him on PP/PK and top line minutes. I believe this is Reads last year to put it in gear. At exit interview he was given expectations and he also said he needed to do better. If he does good, he might stay til end of contract, if not he should be in the AHL, to bring up Leier. If Raffle doesn't bring his offense...goes to AHL to bring up maybe AK and let the rookies get acclimated.

11 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Honestly, to begin the year, I would stick Read on the 1st or 2nd line to see if he's got anything left. Give him 10 games there to see how he performs and go from there with him (pretty sure he can play both sides). I don't understand why people have Cousins penciled into the 3rd line center spot. He's shown nothing to say he should be there. He's not good on face-offs and he's not very strong defensively. I don't think he has much of a future here unless he comes into camp a lot better than expected. I don't see Laughton being anything more than a 3rd liner (which is fine). I'm hoping he has a godo enough camp to secure that 3rd line center spot.

Read/Schenn-Giroux-Voracek

Schenn/Read-Couturier-Simmonds

Raffl-Laughton-Weise

Bellemare-Gordon-Cousins/Weal/???

I just realized this morning that we've all been completely forgetting Lyubimov. Who? Exactly.

He signed a two-way deal but I would be SHOCKED if this dude left the KHL making millions to come and play on a farm team for peanuts and riding buses. He's a LW, btw. 

This is what Hexy had to say about Lyubimov at the time they signed him:

Hextall said Lyubimov could be a role player on the Flyers' third or fourth lines.

"I don't necessarily think he's going to be on your first power play, things like that," Hextall said. "But he's a hard worker. He goes to the net. He scores some dirty goals. He's got good size, and he skates fine."

Sooo many bottom six players.

Who gets pushed out? Read? Laughton? Cousins? I would be one of those three... I don't even think Weal is part of the equation, honestly. VandeVelde is also missing from your lineup above. 

We're a team of grinders lol.

Archived