At Deadline!

Jam1986

Just a few points off the top of my head:

1. I don't think this team is a contender quite yet.  They certainly are not built for a deep playoff run this season. 
  2. If by per chance they are close to sniffing the playoffs, I am not trading anyone except for the getting rid of dead weight....ie McDud, maybe Read.  Bottom line I am not moving a valuable piece(s) for a playoff push.  Period! End of Story! (Giroux / Jake / Schenn / Ghost / Simmer / Coots) are all untouchable as well all the top prospects (Provorov / Konecny / Sanheim / Morin / Haag / Lebarge / Rubstov / Meyer)
  3. Just to be clear .... not one of the remaining players (not included in the lists above) gets you that missing player/piece everyone is desiring.
  4. At this point if I am Hexy, I stand pat and see how this team/season plays out.
  5. The madness in the past of making a trade for sake of the trade because "they think" they are ready for a big playoff push has got to stop.  Seeing Hexy's current M.O. right now, I don't think he makes that kind of trade as of now.

56 minutes ago, Jam1986 said:

If we are looking like a contender who do we trade to bring in the final piece . If not even close who is bye bye? Sorry bored need hockey and football back soon

Contender?

LMAO! Good one. 

The "final" piece we need is at least 2 defencemen, a top line LWer, and likely better depth in the bottom 6. 

good thing we dont have to worry about that this season

The only moves I make this upcoming season regardless of how we are playing is moving Read, Streit, MacDonald (won't happen though), Del Zotto (if we are having problems re-signing him or he stinks), and one of Mason or Neuvirth

Other than that, Hextall should just be patient 

6 hours ago, Jam1986 said:

If we are looking like a contender who do we trade to bring in the final piece . If not even close who is bye bye? Sorry bored need hockey and football back soon

Streit / Streit & MDZ & SChultz 

At any point in the season if anyone wants to trade for Read or Mac they're welcome to them.  

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Contender?

LMAO! Good one. 

The "final" piece we need is at least 2 defencemen, a top line LWer, and likely better depth in the bottom 6. 

They were a PP unit away from actually competing with the Caps last year.  I don't think it's as absurd and far off as a lot of us like to think.  It's not time to get our hopes up, but I don't think we should put making a run out of the realm of possibility if they're in a PO position come spring.  

That said, i think they only acquisition you make at that point this year is one you'd want to make whether you're in the playoffs this year or not.  

@King Knut

So we lost to the Caps...who have proven to be not much of a contender either. I mean wake me up when they get past the 2nd round...if you can't do that, i don't care how many Presidents trophies you win, you aren't a contender. 

I don't think it's far off...but it's a few years away. Certainly not this year coming up.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

@King Knut

So we lost to the Caps...who have proven to be not much of a contender either. I mean wake me up when they get past the 2nd round...if you can't do that, i don't care how many Presidents trophies you win, you aren't a contender. 

I don't think it's far off...but it's a few years away. Certainly not this year coming up.

Caps lost to the cup champs.  I think we all knew they would and they should be disappointed but I don't think that makes them pushovers either, but I see your point.  All I'm saying is that contention is not a LMAO kind of idea. Just not something we should EXPECT this year.

That aside, my main thing is that in no way shape or form should even consider being "buyers" at the deadline, however, I do think there's a possibility that the decisions on who to trade and who to keep might be a tougher call than we anticipate.  

2 years ago Timmo and Coby were no brainers.  Good for everyone involved. Could have sent more packing and we'd all be thrilled to this day.

This year I'm not so sure it'll be as cut and dry with Streit and MDZ (Though I think no matter where the Flyers are they should move one of them at the deadline) and frankly, they should both want to go.  MDZ might have a future as a leader on this team but he probably won't get the deal he's looking for (or at least I hope not).  They actually could be difference makers for a team on the edge of greatness.  Schultz could be  big help to a competitor in need of back end help this year too.  It was well noted around the league how well he played against the caps.  

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

Caps lost to the cup champs.  I think we all knew they would and they should be disappointed but I don't think that makes them pushovers either, but I see your point.  All I'm saying is that contention is not a LMAO kind of idea. Just not something we should EXPECT this year.

Right. Because we're at least two defencemen, a LWer and likely some bottom 6 help away. From contention. Which certainly shouldn't have us contending, or buying for that matter, this season.

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

That aside, my main thing is that in no way shape or form should even consider being "buyers" at the deadline, however, I do think there's a possibility that the decisions on who to trade and who to keep might be a tougher call than we anticipate.  

2 years ago Timmo and Coby were no brainers.  Good for everyone involved. Could have sent more packing and we'd all be thrilled to this day.

This year I'm not so sure it'll be as cut and dry with Streit and MDZ (Though I think no matter where the Flyers are they should move one of them at the deadline) and frankly, they should both want to go.  MDZ might have a future as a leader on this team but he probably won't get the deal he's looking for (or at least I hope not).  They actually could be difference makers for a team on the edge of greatness.  Schultz could be  big help to a competitor in need of back end help this year too.  It was well noted around the league how well he played against the caps.  

Streit should be sold to the highest bidder at the deadline. There's no way he's in the plans going forward, so get what you can for him while you can. If Zot wants to re-sign for something reasonable, I'm all for it. If he wants a big payday, he can go at the deadline as well to the highest bidder. 

59 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Right. Because we're at least two defencemen, a LWer and likely some bottom 6 help away. From contention. Which certainly shouldn't have us contending, or buying for that matter, this season.

Streit should be sold to the highest bidder at the deadline. There's no way he's in the plans going forward, so get what you can for him while you can. If Zot wants to re-sign for something reasonable, I'm all for it. If he wants a big payday, he can go at the deadline as well to the highest bidder. 

With any luck Schenn is for real now and could finally be the LW we need. But acquiring an additional LW would allow them to slide Raffl to the bottom 6 (where he belongs) and keep Read down there for good.  That plus the new acquisitions should help them. 

Just don't know who that other LW is. 

On D... Sanheim Provo Morin... Sink or swim time this spring gents!

totsl agreement on Streit and MDZ.  I just have a feeling Mike will have too high an ask.  If they don't have him inked at deadline time I think he's fair game. 

11 hours ago, King Knut said:

With any luck Schenn is for real now and could finally be the LW we need. But acquiring an additional LW would allow them to slide Raffl to the bottom 6 (where he belongs) and keep Read down there for good.  That plus the new acquisitions should help them. 

There's no reason Schenn isn't for real....he's got better every single year.  

Just don't know who that other LW is. 

On D... Sanheim Provo Morin... Sink or swim time this spring gents! 

Sink or swim? They're 20,19 and 21 respectively

totsl agreement on Streit and MDZ.  I just have a feeling Mike will have too high an ask.  If they don't have him inked at deadline time I think he's fair game. 

Should bring in at least a 1st. I'd prefer to keep him, but not overpay him.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

There's no reason Schenn isn't for real....he's got better every single year.  

Should bring in at least a 1st. I'd prefer to keep him, but not overpay him.

In with you on Schenn unjust don't like jinxing him. 

Sinknor swim was kind of a joke... But then again... Ghost did ok. :)

I'd be thrilled with a first for MDZ, but it might be far fetched.  I have no idea why thermal gave us a first for Coburn. He was great for the bolts and they resigned him which is great.  Maybe they'll need Mike this spring?

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ghost did ok cause he was given the time to develop (well that and the talent). He's 23.

Defencemen hold great value...and rarely get traded. MDZ should be worth at least a 1st.

MDZ should get a 1st if he's available, we all know that the GMs in this league like to overpay at the deadline, Streit and Schultz should definitely be gone whether the Flyers are in a playoff position or not.

5 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

MDZ should get a 1st if he's available, we all know that the GMs in this league like to overpay at the deadline, Streit and Schultz should definitely be gone whether the Flyers are in a playoff position or not.

Yes i agree he should if he has a good year should fetch a 1st and maybe even more depending on the year.

Even a not so great one should net a 2nd.

However depending on where they are in the playoff race they may be forced to keep him. Usually i never like letting a guy walk for nothing especially if you know you can't/won't sign him. But with him i would be more ok with it for a playoff push because they didn't give up anything for him.

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes i agree he should if he has a good year should fetch a 1st and maybe even more depending on the year.

Even a not so great one should net a 2nd.

However depending on where they are in the playoff race they may be forced to keep him. Usually i never like letting a guy walk for nothing especially if you know you can't/won't sign him. But with him i would be more ok with it for a playoff push because they didn't give up anything for him.

I would hope that Del Zotto plays well enough this year that Hextall is willing to re-sign him and he asks for a reasonable contract. Going forward with vets like Del Zotto, Gudas, and (unfortunately) MacDonald would be nice while Gostisbehere, Provorov, etc... find their way

5 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

I would hope that Del Zotto plays well enough this year that Hextall is willing to re-sign him and he asks for a reasonable contract. Going forward with vets like Del Zotto, Gudas, and (unfortunately) MacDonald would be nice while Gostisbehere, Provorov, etc... find their way

Sure but depending what he'll want could change my mind. I'm sure he is watching all this money being handed out and will want his cut too. So i could see him pricing his way out out of Philly too.

Del Zotto, might want to stay with the Flyers. He has been good on, and off the ice. He is reportedly well liked in the room. After his experiences in NY and Nashville he might be willing to give up the maximum dollar for security with a team that has great potential going forward.

9 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Del Zotto, might want to stay with the Flyers. He has been good on, and off the ice. He is reportedly well liked in the room. After his experiences in NY and Nashville he might be willing to give up the maximum dollar for security with a team that has great potential going forward.

Good point.

I bet MDZ continues to mature as a person and he'll progress as an NHL defenseman. In NYC he was a one-dimensional, offensive D-man and he's now becoming a more conservative player who consistently defends the net. Apparently Hakstol demanded he tone down his penchant for leading rushes and concentrate more on defense. I liked what I saw from him this year and at <$4mil/year he's a bargain this season.

Going forward after 2016-17 I hope he's still with the Flyers because I think he'll be a real positive force and influence on the younger, offensively-minded D-men who are coming up. They'll know his history, they'll know the transformation Hakstol wanted from him and if he continues to succeed at it he can only make the team better, in the short run and the long term.

Archived