Schenn rejects 2 years-> UPDATED: Schenn Signs for 4 yrs

King Knut

He wants a million more than they're offering which is to be expected, but my question is, does he want a longer deal or a shorter deal?  

I really wonder what the arbitrator will do. 

Umberger, Hartnell and MacDonald type salaries would suggest Schenn me get deserve 5.5 million, but really has come crashing into those deals since they were signed, will that be accounted for?

Next question, does it weigh in at all in Schenn or his agent's head that's he has received zero offer sheets?  

next question, to whom do we trade Schenn and for what if this thing goes poorly in arbitration? Hexy still doesn't have the cap room to do much of this kind of spending for another year and even then he ain't getting much. 

i say we send him to phoenix to hang with his bro again. 

Anyone we we send him to has to take MacDonald. 

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-flyers/source-brayden-schenn-spurns-flyers-2-year-offer-wants-55-million?cid=email:CSN Philly Daily Update:2015 - CSNPhilly Morning Update:16430

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

He wants a million more than they're offering which is to be expected, but my question is, does he want a longer deal or a shorter deal?  

Umberger, Hartnell and MacDonald type salaries would suggest Schenn me get deserve 5.5 million, but really has come crashing into those deals since they were signed, will that be accounted for?

Next question, does it weigh in at all in Schenn or his agent's head that's he has received zero offer sheets?  

next question, to whom do we trade Schenn and for what if this thing goes poorly in arbitration? Hexy still doesn't have the cap room to do much of this kind of spending for another year and even then he ain't getting much. 

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-flyers/source-brayden-schenn-spurns-flyers-2-year-offer-wants-55-million?cid=email:CSN Philly Daily Update:2015 - CSNPhilly Morning Update:16430

Well since he elected arbitration now he team gets to set the length of the deal.

I expect them to work things out and as noted by others they may even come to terms right before the meeting.

Flyers can't walk away from anything over 3.9 mill which he is surely to get and more.

Supposedly they offered him  4.25 and 4.35 over the two years. 

The the fact that Hextall was only able to predict having 100k more available in the second year should really say something to Schenn's agent-oh and damn the sums of money we're talking about just smacked me in the face. 

so they're a little over a million apart - split the difference and BSchenn gets ~$5mil/year.

i don't blame him for turning down $4.25 and $4.37. He put up 59 points last year, his totals have gone up the last 3 years, he's playing consistently good hockey now...he's a $5mil+ forward and I'm sure both sides will agree by Monday.

52 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Crap reporting. Schenn didn't "Reject" that offer (at least not on Saturday). Those were the numbers submitted to arbitration. The team is going low and Schenn is going high. It's how it works when they're prepping for arbitration. All the other arbitration numbers that have leaked out have been in similar ballparks as far as the gap.

Two days before his scheduled arbitration hearing in Toronto, forward Marcus Johansson has submitted an initial request for a $5.25 million-per-year contract, while the Washington Capitals countered with an offer of $3.85 million, an individual with knowledge of the situation confirmed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capitals-insider/wp/2016/07/18/marcus-johansson-asking-for-5-25-million-in-arbitration-caps-offer-3-85-million/

Aaron Ward ✔@NHL_AaronWard

Salary Arbitration numbers New York Rangers/ Chris Kreider. Club offer $3.2M / Player asking $4.75M #NHL #NYR

Beats are making this out to be something bigger than it actually is. In fact, the Flyers/Schenn numbers are closer together than either of these two.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Crap reporting. Schenn didn't "Reject" that offer (at least not on Saturday). Those were the numbers submitted to arbitration. The team is going low and Schenn is going high. It's how it works when they're prepping for arbitration. All the other arbitration numbers that have leaked out have been in similar ballparks as far as the gap.

4.25-4.35 doesn't seem so low. Seems about right

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Two days before his scheduled arbitration hearing in Toronto, forward Marcus Johansson has submitted an initial request for a $5.25 million-per-year contract, while the Washington Capitals countered with an offer of $3.85 million, an individual with knowledge of the situation confirmed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capitals-insider/wp/2016/07/18/marcus-johansson-asking-for-5-25-million-in-arbitration-caps-offer-3-85-million/

Aaron Ward ✔@NHL_AaronWard

Salary Arbitration numbers New York Rangers/ Chris Kreider. Club offer $3.2M / Player asking $4.75M #NHL #NYR

Beats are making this out to be something bigger than it actually is. In fact, the Flyers/Schenn numbers are closer together than either of these two.

Why are none of the reported numbers even close to each other?  Suggests one has to be close but that most are BS

14 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Why are none of the reported numbers even close to each other?  Suggests one has to be close but that most are BS

Meltzer lays it out pretty well:

With Brayden Schenn's contract arbitration case scheduled for tomorrow (July 25), the player is seeking a one-season award for $5.5 million. Philadelphia Flyers general manager Ron Hextall submitted a two-season award proposal at a $4.3095 cap hit ($4.25 million real-dollar salary in 2016-17 and $4.369 million in 2017-18).

What you need to know about both sides' filings: 

1) The numbers disparity, while steep in this case, is strictly standard procedure. One hundred percent of the time, teams set the salary bar considerably lower than they would actually be willing to go in an 11th-hour settlement. Ditto the player's side in setting the salary higher than know he can get in a negotiated settlement.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=78312

Again, the reported numbers are NOT whatt he team is offering and the player is countering with in actual negotiations. These are the numbers that each party is placing before the arbitrator, and really don't mean anything with regards to where the actual negotiations are. Schenn and the Flyers might be 50,000 apart, but teams and players are going to give the arbitrator lower/higher numbers. It's just how the process works.

@murraycraven Hextall is at a critical point in shaping the Flyers future. Most of the Flyers recent draft choices are offensively minded, defensemen. They offer a great future  for the Flyers, but good offensively minded defensemen command high dollar contracts. The current Flyer defensive prospects offer the potential for the Flyers to role three relatively equal pairs of gifted defensemen, an unheard of situation in the NHL. At the end of next year Ghosts current contract will have ended, meaning they have to resign him. If he has another year like last, or even better, he will receive an Ekblat-like contract. If fortune is with the Flyers, their other prospective defensemen will develop and and collectively form the core of a truly superb defense. This experiment will be costly. So, does Hextall want to take the chance with Schenn, who really only blossomed since January of this year? Does he sign Schenn at 5 million for five or six years? If Schenn continues to improve, it might be a good signing, but if he stagnates, what will be the effect of this contract on the cap when the Flyers hopefully have a demand for maximum cap space? Given this possible future, signing Schenn for two years, somewhere between 4.5 and 5 mil seems like good move for both parties. 

8 hours ago, King Knut said:

3a5bcc1ec2db23c769204c2d245e0029.jpg

grammar_time.jpg

:angel:

1 hour ago, canoli said:

I think I read somewhere that arbitration hearings must be settled within 48 hours. Anyone know if this is true?

The team has 48 hours to accept the arbitration reward. If they dont, then the player becomes a UFA. Whether or not they can sign the player to a longer extension during that window, I'm not sure.

It really blows my mind with these guys. You're in the best physical condition of your life. You have the world by the horns. You're doing the thing that you've wanted to do all your life. Your family sacrificed their time and money to help you reach this pinnacle. You get to play a GAME and make millions and in the hockey world you have achieved a rock star status. Money. Chicks. Glory.

I love the game of hockey, it's an unparalleled sport, but I've become somewhat jaded. It started with Lindros and his refusal to go to the team that drafted him. He was an amazing athlete and an incredible hockey player, but I never respected him and personally I think it's a damn shame that he got nominated into the hall of fame.

Anyway, these guys that go for arbitration crack me up. Stop being dicks. You're making amazing money. Management knows what you're worth. If I was Brayden Schenn's teammates I'd have a hard time looking him in the eye and not thinking he's a greedy dick.

Rant done.

5 hours ago, AbelMorpheus said:

It really blows my mind with these guys. You're in the best physical condition of your life. You have the world by the horns. You're doing the thing that you've wanted to do all your life. Your family sacrificed their time and money to help you reach this pinnacle. You get to play a GAME and make millions and in the hockey world you have achieved a rock star status. Money. Chicks. Glory.

I love the game of hockey, it's an unparalleled sport, but I've become somewhat jaded. It started with Lindros and his refusal to go to the team that drafted him. He was an amazing athlete and an incredible hockey player, but I never respected him and personally I think it's a damn shame that he got nominated into the hall of fame.

Anyway, these guys that go for arbitration crack me up. Stop being dicks. You're making amazing money. Management knows what you're worth. If I was Brayden Schenn's teammates I'd have a hard time looking him in the eye and not thinking he's a greedy dick.

Rant done.

Agents.

They're the ones whispering in your ear not to take it...you're worth so much more. They don't get the rock star status. The chicks. The glory. They get a percentage of what you get. The more the better for them.

So the rumor is they are about 1.19 mill apart so i expect them to work this out. The one thing i don't want is a NMC or NTC handed out.

Only 3 guys have one that is Giroux, Simmer and Streit. I don't think that Hexy believes in handing those out and bravo for him those things are nothing but trouble.

braden-schenn-goal-on-la-kings.gif?w=100

So i can see Schenn getting a 5.25 AAV if they settle on a 5 year deal or more.

the Schenn brothers....

tumblr_mlbfdhshZh1so0nqso1_400.jpg

schenngoalrangers.gif

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Agents.

They're the ones whispering in your ear not to take it...you're worth so much more. They don't get the rock star status. The chicks. The glory. They get a percentage of what you get. The more the better for them.

I'm just waiting for the big collapse / next great depression. That moment when fans have finally been bled dry working for large corporations like Wal-Mart and McDonalds part-time, and turn away from pro sports altogether. That'll be interesting.

Instead of $300 jerseys, $100/mth cable packages, and $250 tickets to games, it'll be "how do we pay the rent this month?" or "how do I apply for food stamps?" ....   We are headed toward economic apocalypse. :(

26 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

That moment when fans have finally been bled dry working for large corporations like Wal-Mart and McDonalds part-time, and turn away from pro sports altogether.

Sadly maybe that that isn't going to happen....it's to late we're hooked...i mean just look at the prime time ratings for the friggin drafts for example...with todays non stop 24 hour coverage...folks are doing the opposite (they have always bitched about something) yet we still watch as much as we can..........and they know it.

Updated:

Hexy announces Flyers and Schenn agree to 4 yrs at $5.12 million per year.  I'm ok with this.  I don't think there is a NMC/NTC with this which is good. 

I think 4 years is just about right.  That would put Schenn in his late 20's by the time the contract expires.

I think this is a very good signing.......

Archived