Flyers Salary Cap: 2016-17

Howie58

Greetings:

Here is an interesting take on the Flyers' salary cap for the coming season.  While we are tight, it isn't like the need for amateurs to fill situation we had a few years back.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/7/25/12272084/flyers-salary-cap-2016-2017-breakdown

My takeaways:

1)  AMac is the gift that keeps on taking.  And his waiver to the A only nets about one newbie--Provorov.

2)  Laughton and Cousins stay aboard

3) Weal is not waived (I guess the system sees something in him).

4)  The Dale Weise signing may be an upgrade over "other" but it certainly doesn't get flexibility

5) Mark Streit is a real pro but his cap hit is a reminder of 30 year old and over contracts

Best,

Howie

There's really no need for too much cap flexibility this year. There are only so many moves that a team can realistically make, and the Flyers aren't in a position to make the ones that turn them from "also-ran" into serious contender. The good thing is that much of what they need, strengthening of the defense and more scoring, are not that far off in guys like Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, and Konecny. This is what I think we see this year, not necessarily in any particular order:

Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds

Laughton - Couturier - Voracek

Raffl - Cousins - Weise

Bellemare - Gordon - Read

Vandevelde

Gudas - Gostisbehere

Streit - Schultz

MDZ - MacDonald

Manning

- I think Weal is moved or waived. Maybe a team will give a late pick to see if his AHL scoring translates.

- I don't know who becomes the 14th forward in that case. The team has several options.

- Streit and/or Schultz and one of the goalies are moved leading up to the deadline.

- Stolarz re-signed.

- Gostisbehere re-signed.

- Sanheim up during the second half if Streit is moved. Morin if Schultz is moved.

I'm sure I'm going to be wrong somewhere, but I don't see a lot of potential moves that make sense in the immediate term.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

There's really no need for too much cap flexibility this year. There are only so many moves that a team can realistically make, and the Flyers aren't in a position to make the ones that turn them from "also-ran" into serious contender. The good thing is that much of what they need, strengthening of the defense and more scoring, are not that far off in guys like Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, and Konecny. This is what I think we see this year, not necessarily in any particular order:

Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds

Laughton - Couturier - Voracek

Raffl - Cousins - Weise

Bellemare - Gordon - Read

Vandevelde

Gudas - Gostisbehere

Streit - Schultz

MDZ - MacDonald

Manning

- I think Weal is moved or waived. Maybe a team will give a late pick to see if his AHL scoring translates.

- I don't know who becomes the 14th forward in that case. The team has several options.

- Streit and/or Schultz and one of the goalies are moved leading up to the deadline.

- Stolarz re-signed.

- Gostisbehere re-signed.

- Sanheim up during the second half if Streit is moved. Morin if Schultz is moved.

I'm sure I'm going to be wrong somewhere, but I don't see a lot of potential moves that make sense in the immediate term.

I expect Provo and Konex to make a real push in camp. 

Hextall will ill not want to start them with the club, but I think it'll be really hard.  And frankly, I'm not sure what to think about it. 

Raffl, Cousins Read and Laughton and Weise can all play third and fourth line.  They seem to like playing Raffl on the top two for some god forsaken reason. 

I could see moving Laughton back down to third and Benching Gordon over Vandy who becomes trade bait or a phantom. 

I cluld also see Provo making the inevitable push to trade Streit (or even MDZ depending on how that negotiation goes) easier to swallow. 

With Streit gone, I'd expect to see Hextall in on the real UFA pool for the first time next year to fill in a blank on wing... Though I still believe Kinex might be that guy. 

By by this time next year, I kinda expect Hextall to have dealt with the Mickey D's situation also.    A straight up buy out is still too much to be paying out for too long.  I think Vegas will be involved somehow. Just seems like a Hextall kind of thing to do. 

I dont see Sanheim being trusted into the line-up if we are in the playoff hunt. Maybe a few games, but that's it. Provorov is probably the only rookie we see take a regular shift for the entire season out of camp. Alt, Brennan and O'Neill are all ahead of Sanheim on the depth chart. You know how Hextall handles the young guys. 

Gordon won't be a healthy scratch (unless he totally bombs). He is here for a reason and will be centering that 4th line and on the PK every game.

I'd rather hold onto Del Zotto (assuming he has a solid season and isn't asking for too much money). He's the only vet top-4 defenseman we have where this team is transitioning it's younger players into the roster on the back end. Streit and Schultz won't be on the roster next season regardless of if they're moved by the deadline or leave via free agency. 

Moving into next season with vets like MacDonald (ugh), Del Zotto, Gudas, Manning (as the 7th), and younger guys Gostisbehere, Provorov (assuming he makes the mean this year), and someone like Morin/Sanheim/etc keeps us in a good position without putting too much pressure on our prospects

On 8/30/2016 at 7:04 AM, intheslot said:

Minor tweaks  no kids up until next year.

Could see read and streit  and  M D Z  moved  to make room for up coming kids..

then move  a tender..

I think we'll see Konex, Provo and maybe Sanheim this year.  

Even if Hextall doesn't bring them up to start (there aren't any spots, so they'd really have to make him create one) there will be injuries and it makes sense to have them dip their toes.  I have a feeling that like Ghost last year, it will be hard to send them home after that.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I think we'll see Konex, Provo and maybe Sanheim this year.  

Even if Hextall doesn't bring them up to start (there aren't any spots, so they'd really have to make him create one) there will be injuries and it makes sense to have them dip their toes.  I have a feeling that like Ghost last year, it will be hard to send them home after that.

Konecny is NHL or junior. So is Provorov. Sanheim can be brought up from the A.

38 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Both 19 to start the season.

And it's the start of the season that matters more than their birthdays I guess?

Well then here's a new question:

Can we have their 10 games at the end of the season or just at the beginning?

If it's the latter then they both HAVE to start the season with the Flyers.  There are no questions.  They need a taste of the NHL this year.  Konex probably should have made the team last year and frankly they need his touch.  Give him the prime time audition.

This is a tough call then on Provo.  He definitely gets his 10 games IMHO, but if he's looking good can Hextall get a deal on Streit before the end of 10 games?   Can't turn over the keys to a kid that's not used to an 80 game season either.  Maybe for a third pairing spot, but even then...

But if you don't keep him up now, what happens at the deadline when you dish (hopefully) Streit or MDZ?  Sanheim will have to be called up... which is good, but if there are any injuries they won't be able to fill in with Provo to give him his shifts.

I don't like this rule.  

Screw it.  I say that unless they look markedly worse, they both stay with the club.  They'll be useful now and we need them to progress.  Another 2 years really isn't a good option.  

If however we can do their ten games at the end of the season and their camp doesn't make it an absolute, then bring them up then and see what they've got and keep them for the stretch and (maybe) the playoffs.  

31 minutes ago, King Knut said:

And it's the start of the season that matters more than their birthdays I guess?

If it's the latter then they both HAVE to start the season with the Flyers.  There are no questions.  They need a taste of the NHL this year.  Konex probably should have made the team last year and frankly they need his touch.  Give him the prime time audition.

This is a tough call then on Provo.  He definitely gets his 10 games IMHO, but if he's looking good can Hextall get a deal on Streit before the end of 10 games?   Can't turn over the keys to a kid that's not used to an 80 game season either.  Maybe for a third pairing spot, but even then...

But if you don't keep him up now, what happens at the deadline when you dish (hopefully) Streit or MDZ?  Sanheim will have to be called up... which is good, but if there are any injuries they won't be able to fill in with Provo to give him his shifts.

I don't like this rule.  

Screw it.  I say that unless they look markedly worse, they both stay with the club.  They'll be useful now and we need them to progress.  Another 2 years really isn't a good option.  

If however we can do their ten games at the end of the season and their camp doesn't make it an absolute, then bring them up then and see what they've got and keep them for the stretch and (maybe) the playoffs.  

Why do they NEED a taste of the NHL this year? I mean if they look like they fit then fine. Both players have made steps forward to get where they are now. Both have developed into excellent players. What's the big rush? They're both teenagers. 

As for the 80 games...Provorov played about 100 games last year...Konecny about 70.

The 10 games is at the beginning. Would it really be fair to yank junior teams best players off their rosters in the middle of playoff runs? 

Sure, keep them up whether they've earned it or not.... that's how to build a winner. Then we can all bitch about how Provorov and Konecny haven't developed as well as they should have...see Sean Couturier.

41 minutes ago, King Knut said:

If they are sent down, they have to stay until their club's season ends. That's what happened with Sanheim last season. He stayed down, then came to the Phantoms for 5 or so games after his team was done.

17 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Why do they NEED a taste of the NHL this year? I mean if they look like they fit then fine. Both players have made steps forward to get where they are now. Both have developed into excellent players. What's the big rush? They're both teenagers. 

As for the 80 games...Provorov played about 100 games last year...Konecny about 70.

The 10 games is at the beginning. Would it really be fair to yank junior teams best players off their rosters in the middle of playoff runs? 

Sure, keep them up whether they've earned it or not.... that's how to build a winner. Then we can all bitch about how Provorov and Konecny haven't developed as well as they should have...see Sean Couturier.

I think getting a taste of the NHL gives them perspective that will help them when they get back to Juniors.  

Otherwise they're trying learning how to play against Junior level talent.  They're already the best in juniors.  I think it's hard to get better than that when you're playing against the same competition.  It's not right for all young players.  Obviously.  But some guys need to be challenged in order to progress.   I don't want them destroying competition all year again and wondering for 10 months "How do I get better?"

Beyond that, the rush is circumstantial, but real.  

The hope is to move Streit before the deadline and get some more picks.

They might not be able to resign MDZ for less than a big contract that keeps him around longer than they'd want and takes up more cap space than they'd want.    

Do you push the cap to keep him because you need a puck moving D man when you might have Provo who might or might not be ready to play?

For Travis, I think the team literally needs his skills and I see no reason not to try him.  He's got great hands and great eyes.  Two things sorely lacking on this team.   If he's not helping the scoring after 10 games, send him back down.  

In addition, it would be nice if their rookie years didn't occur when Giroux is 31.

On the other side:  What's the harm in at least giving them their ten games?

31 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

If they are sent down, they have to stay until their club's season ends. That's what happened with Sanheim last season. He stayed down, then came to the Phantoms for 5 or so games after his team was done.

Then there's absolutely NO reason not to give them their 10 games and see what happens.  

Drop Mac and Vandy down the the A again, see what happens.  

22 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Then there's absolutely NO reason not to give them their 10 games and see what happens.  

Drop Mac and Vandy down the the A again, see what happens.  

Hextall has spoken on that in the past, and he disagrees with that point of view. I can't recall exactly what he said, but it was that basically that if they weren't ready for 82 games, send them back. There's no sense disrupting their rhythm for the junior club where they can start and play an entire season.

16 minutes ago, brelic said:

Hextall has spoken on that in the past, and he disagrees with that point of view. I can't recall exactly what he said, but it was that basically that if they weren't ready for 82 games, send them back. There's no sense disrupting their rhythm for the junior club where they can start and play an entire season.

I'd really like to read that because it just doesn't seem to make any sense.  It's absolutely impossible for a player to be ready for an 82 game season unless he's spent a few years in the AHL.  

If these guys literally aren't allowed to get AHL conditioning and experience, sending them back to juniors to just be far and away better than anyone else doesn't follow.

Eichel, Ekblad, Subban, Kane, Giroux are all guys who never played a full season in the AHL before coming up to be key contributors if not stars for their teams.  This is not to mention the so called "generational talents" like Lindros, McDavid and Crosby.

It's not right for every player obviously. Probably 95-99% of players need to follow Hextall's  course.  But some guys playing at a certain level need to play at the next level to get better.  They have to keep moving forward and improving.  Konecny and Provorov were two of the best players in juniors last year.  They're not going to get better down there.  It's a shame they can't play in the AHL this year, and if they can't compete at all at the NHL level, then by all means send them down to the Juniors so at least they're not screwing up the flyers.  

But it will be a wasted year for them developmentally.  Physically they can get bigger and stronger as they become men, and that's important for being an NHL player,  but that's about it.  

As an aside, I fully admit that the likes of Kane and Ekblad and Ghost influence my opinion... as does the ghost of Luca Sbisa who showed a lot of unbridled promise and who obviously needed a year or more in the AHL more than anything, but because he wasn't allowed, he was sent back to juniors where his coach played him 40 minutes or more a night  to keep his team competitive and he lost a ton of weight, then we traded him (and Lupul and all the picks) for Pronger and never really recovered with the Ducks.  

It's an extreme circumstance, but it made an impression on me and it happens more than it needs to.  95% of guys need to take their time.  5-1% need to be challenged.   

41 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'd really like to read that because it just doesn't seem to make any sense.  It's absolutely impossible for a player to be ready for an 82 game season unless he's spent a few years in the AHL.    

6) Last year, when Samuel Morin enjoyed a strong preseason for the Flyers but was returned to his junior team (the QMJHL's Rimouski Oceanic), Hextall said that he is very wary about reading too much into individual preseason performances by young players. That is because, during the preseason, the pacing and intensity are a notch lower than during the regular season. Specifically, even when teams have their veteran NHLers in the lineup in the preseason, many of those players treat those games as tune-ups rather than bringing their "A" games. Conversely, when a player has something to prove, he is more likely to treat the preseason as a showcase for his abilities.

On Thursday, Hextall reiterated this theme when asked about whether the team's top prospects have a shot at winning an NHL job out of camp. He said that a player would have to stand head and shoulders above the competition to do so. The GM also said that he is wary about using the nine-game NHL trial option for slide-rule eligible prospects such as Ivan Provorov. He would prefer not to disrupt the player's season.

"The problem there that I have seen in the past is so you keep a kid for nine games and then he goes back to juniors for a month or two so you can look at it and say we took half his season and kind of turned it upside down where he didn’t go on the perfect development path, where he kind of went back to junior at the end of preseason or the proper time you might call it, and have his head ready at junior, play in the NHL for 9 games," said Hextall.

"For a lot of young kids, it can be detrimental. Just remember like I said you go back to junior, where is your head for the next month or two? Some are fine but for the most part they’re elsewhere.”

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Training-Camp-Hextall-Tryout-Players-Prospects--More/45/70751

25 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

6) Last year, when Samuel Morin enjoyed a strong preseason for the Flyers but was returned to his junior team (the QMJHL's Rimouski Oceanic), Hextall said that he is very wary about reading too much into individual preseason performances by young players. That is because, during the preseason, the pacing and intensity are a notch lower than during the regular season. Specifically, even when teams have their veteran NHLers in the lineup in the preseason, many of those players treat those games as tune-ups rather than bringing their "A" games. Conversely, when a player has something to prove, he is more likely to treat the preseason as a showcase for his abilities.

On Thursday, Hextall reiterated this theme when asked about whether the team's top prospects have a shot at winning an NHL job out of camp. He said that a player would have to stand head and shoulders above the competition to do so. The GM also said that he is wary about using the nine-game NHL trial option for slide-rule eligible prospects such as Ivan Provorov. He would prefer not to disrupt the player's season.

"The problem there that I have seen in the past is so you keep a kid for nine games and then he goes back to juniors for a month or two so you can look at it and say we took half his season and kind of turned it upside down where he didn’t go on the perfect development path, where he kind of went back to junior at the end of preseason or the proper time you might call it, and have his head ready at junior, play in the NHL for 9 games," said Hextall.

"For a lot of young kids, it can be detrimental. Just remember like I said you go back to junior, where is your head for the next month or two? Some are fine but for the most part they’re elsewhere.”

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Training-Camp-Hextall-Tryout-Players-Prospects--More/45/70751

Thanks for finding it.  I agree.  Of course he's right.  For a lot of kids it can be detrimental.   I think for a rare few staying an extra year in juniors can be detrimental.  I think Hextall probably agrees with me, it's just a matter of whether Provo and Konex are among that select talent level.  

I also think the example of Morin last year also had something to do with the team having more D men with NHL contracts than it could handle already.  This year they don't have to choose, but last year if they were two D men shorter with 2 deadline trade chips in their pocket, maybe it's a harder choice.  

But this year we'll have Morin and Sanheim to call up if needed, they'll be getting the long haul experience.  It's just that because of the rules we don't have the same options with Konex and Provo. 

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

I think getting a taste of the NHL gives them perspective that will help them when they get back to Juniors.  

For some...and for others they get frustrated that they were sent back.

Otherwise they're trying learning how to play against Junior level talent.  They're already the best in juniors.  I think it's hard to get better than that when you're playing against the same competition.  It's not right for all young players.  Obviously.  But some guys need to be challenged in order to progress.   I don't want them destroying competition all year again and wondering for 10 months "How do I get better?"

Maybe Provorov would like another shot at that Memorial Cup... he didn't exactly blow away the competition there. Maybe Konecny would like to see if he can get Sarnia out of the 1st round after they traded a boatload of picks for him for half a season. Both those players seem to have a pretty good drive behind them. I'm not too concerned with either stagnating...if they don't make the Flyers.

Beyond that, the rush is circumstantial, but real.  

The hope is to move Streit before the deadline and get some more picks.

Hopefully they can dump Streit no matter whose on the Flyers. We don't NEED Provorov to trade Streit.

They might not be able to resign MDZ for less than a big contract that keeps him around longer than they'd want and takes up more cap space than they'd want.    

Do you push the cap to keep him because you need a puck moving D man when you might have Provo who might or might not be ready to play?

If Zott wants to stay for a reasonable price I'm all for re-signing him. If he wants a big payday he can go at the deadline. As for needing a puckmover, there's this guy named Ghost...you may have heard of him. 

For Travis, I think the team literally needs his skills and I see no reason not to try him.  He's got great hands and great eyes.  Two things sorely lacking on this team.   If he's not helping the scoring after 10 games, send him back down.  

In addition, it would be nice if their rookie years didn't occur when Giroux is 31.

On the other side:  What's the harm in at least giving them their ten games?

Hextall doesn't like the 10 game thing. He figures you're either ready, or you're not. I like that way of thinking.

Depends on the player, but for the most part yes.

If these guys literally aren't allowed to get AHL conditioning and experience, sending them back to juniors to just be far and away better than anyone else doesn't follow.

Eichel, Ekblad, Subban, Kane, Giroux are all guys who never played a full season in the AHL before coming up to be key contributors if not stars for their teams.  This is not to mention the so called "generational talents" like Lindros, McDavid and Crosby.

They aren't far and away better than anyone else. Comparing Provorov and Konecny to the likes of Eichel, Ekblad etc is setting you up for a big letdown.  Throw in McDavid, Lindros and Crosby and you're out in left field. And Subban played a year in the A.  Almost everyone else you mentioned except Giroux was a 1st overall pick (other than Eichel who was 2nd) Our guys aren't.

It's not right for every player obviously. Probably 95-99% of players need to follow Hextall's  course.  But some guys playing at a certain level need to play at the next level to get better.  They have to keep moving forward and improving.  Konecny and Provorov were two of the best players in juniors last year.  They're not going to get better down there.  It's a shame they can't play in the AHL this year, and if they can't compete at all at the NHL level, then by all means send them down to the Juniors so at least they're not screwing up the flyers.  

Sure.

And it's a shame Couturier wasn't left down in junior for another year so he could develop his offence more instead of being made to focus solely on playing defence. 

But it will be a wasted year for them developmentally.  Physically they can get bigger and stronger as they become men, and that's important for being an NHL player,  but that's about it.  

As an aside, I fully admit that the likes of Kane and Ekblad and Ghost influence my opinion... as does the ghost of Luca Sbisa who showed a lot of unbridled promise and who obviously needed a year or more in the AHL more than anything, but because he wasn't allowed, he was sent back to juniors where his coach played him 40 minutes or more a night  to keep his team competitive and he lost a ton of weight, then we traded him (and Lupul and all the picks) for Pronger and never really recovered with the Ducks.  

It's an extreme circumstance, but it made an impression on me and it happens more than it needs to.  95% of guys need to take their time.  5-1% need to be challenged.   

Ghost? Ghost is FOUR years older than Provorov and Konecny. It's not like he jumped into the NHL as a teenager. 

And again...Eichel and ekblad are NOT comparable to Provorov and Konecny. 

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Depends on the player, but for the most part yes.

They aren't far and away better than anyone else. Comparing Provorov and Konecny to the likes of Eichel, Ekblad etc is setting you up for a big letdown.  Throw in McDavid, Lindros and Crosby and you're out in left field. And Subban played a year in the A.  Almost everyone else you mentioned except Giroux was a 1st overall pick (other than Eichel who was 2nd) Our guys aren't.

Sure.

And it's a shame Couturier wasn't left down in junior for another year so he could develop his offence more instead of being made to focus solely on playing defence. 

Ghost? Ghost is FOUR years older than Provorov and Konecny. It's not like he jumped into the NHL as a teenager. 

And again...Eichel and ekblad are NOT comparable to Provorov and Konecny. 

I appreciate that you read every other word of my post and put them together in ways to support your conflicting options that actually don't conflict.

-I said that they're not slam dunks.  I said that they're not on the level with those guys.  Those guys made it impossible to say no to especially  because they were so highly touted.  All I am saying about K&P is that they're bubble guys--not like Kane or Ekblad (who many thought shouldn't start in the NHL if you recall)--we can't say for sure either way and at their stage of development in Juniors, keeping them with the Flyers for 9 games probably won't hurt them.  

-Konecny and Provorov are ELITE in juniors.  Are they on a level with Those guys I mentioned?  No.  Are our guys at an elite level above 95% of the juniors?  YES.

-Subban was drafted in the 2nd round.  

-I brought up Ghost because although he's older, he'd never played an 80+ game season until last year.  In college they play fewer games than in Juniors.  

-Bringing up Couturier does nothing for me.  I'm a firm believer that his lack of an offensive game isn't due to lack of development but mostly due to his usage and the systems he's been playing under.  NO ONE has scored much at all since Lavvy was fired (ecxept for Jake that one year).  But even just being a teensy bit more more off the leash under Hakstol last year he put up .62 Points Per Game which is a vast improvement. 

-These guys have been very clear about their goals.  Send them back and I'm sure they'll compete as well as they can and want to win as much as they can, but they're hungry for the NHL. And the fact that their teams didn't do well in the playoffs is a decent indicator of the kind of talent they'll be surrounded by that will NOT be helping them develop to where they need to be.  

Look, it's a no win situation.  Obviously the best thing for the Flyers would be these guys playing in the AHL.  It would certainly make the AHL a more interesting league if guys of this caliber could play there.  But that would kill several Junior leagues in the process which would damage the overall talent pool.  I get it.  I just think there are a few circumstances that make this year worth taking an extra look at them playing their 9 and maybe... just maybe making the team.

And no, they don't NEED Provo to play to trade MDZ or Streit... I'm not saying the NEEDED him for that.  They have Manning, Sanheim and Morin able to come up.  What I meant by that was that last year no matter what, they didn't have the room for Morin.  It would have been extremely tricky for them to keep him up.  This year... not so much. This year there is opportunity.  Last year for Morin, there was literally no option.  

keeping them with the Flyers for 9 games probably won't hurt them.  

In all probability, you are probably right, it won't hurt, but ...playing devil's advocate, why take the chance?  Besides Hexy has already addressed this issue and he made his thoughts on the subject loud and clear.  We as fans can debate his philosophy all we want, but it won't change his mind.  In the end we all need to be patient and I admit that is very hard to do for this fanbase.

In an ideal world I would prefer that Provorov and Konecny be sent to the Phantoms in the AHL, but the NHL and CHL agreement forbids that so that too is a non issue.

I admit I would love to see them on the Flyers, BUT if that does not happen and they are both sent back to their respect junior teams, I won't be upset about it.  At this stage in their early careers there is no need to rush them.  The Flyers still have the same basic roster from last year.  I would expect them to be another borderline playoff team.  Don't forget the Las Vegas team entry draft next spring further complicates the picture.

Archived