Stanley Cup Winner Predictions (2016-17)

WordsOfWisdom

11 hours ago, ruxpin said:

When all is said and done?    It's a Penguins/Anaheim final with another damn parade on Grant Street.

I figured it out now, and you're right:

We'll get an Anaheim/Nashville Western conference final, with a Pittsburgh/Florida Eastern conference final. That way it's the biggest FUDGE U to Canadian hockey fans in Toronto and Montreal because you can have Bernier win the Vezina in Anaheim and duke it out against PK Subban (who wins the Norris trophy) in Nashville. In the east, Kessel can grab an Art Ross trophy and win his Conn Smythe with Pittsburgh while they battle against Reimer in Florida (who will win the Jennings trophy with Luongo).

Well the above guy says the Sabres are getting there.  I say they are certainly on the rise but the big issue will be who is in goal. That is not solved and it must be.  The early schedule which I just viewed is very favorable.  As good as you could ask for.  So a chance to get out of the gates with some confidence.  I mean games at Calgary and Vancouver.  Very winable.  I am not sure if they have a shot at  a low seed in the playoffs but it likely matters for revenue only.  They are not a Cup contender by any stretch and I will come clean now with that.  I may be crazy but I am not stupid.

7 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

They're in the mix (in terms of getting a playoff spot), but still a long way from being a serious contender in my books.  :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

No kidding.  I mean, look at how young alot of these guys are.  When they cleaned house they knew it would take time and they went all in on Jack Eichel.  My biggest concern moving forward is who the goalie will be?  Once they are ready to compete at a high level ,then they may have to make a deal for a top notch goalie.  Unless ones falls on our lap?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2016 at 8:48 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

No kidding.  I mean, look at how young alot of these guys are.  When they cleaned house they knew it would take time and they went all in on Jack Eichel.  My biggest concern moving forward is who the goalie will be?  Once they are ready to compete at a high level ,then they may have to make a deal for a top notch goalie.  Unless ones falls on our lap?

Why on earth did the Sabres get rid of Chad Johnson? :blink[1]:

• 1 month later...

Dark Horse East: Florida Panthers- a lot to like about this team, big , fast, solid in net.  

Chalk East: the Pens, everyone is back from the team that blitzed the playoffs last year I'd be surprised if they don't win again

now that i've cleaned the vomit off my keyboard.

Dark Horse West: Chicago, Kane and Towes , Seabrook and Keith, fill in the blanks they can get on a roll at the right time

Chalk West: Dallas Stars big question in net but a load of talent everywhere else. Nill has done a great job building that team.

3 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Good list, but I would add Montreal, Tampa Bay, Chicago and Washington.

Tampa Bay without Stamkos (again!!), may be just good enough to get there and come close, but not sure about winning it all.

Throw in an injury that has top pair d-man Anton Stralman out indefinitely, and I think there may be a problem with my beloved Bolts winning it all! :mellow:

I do believe in TB's depth, but again, their depth has shown it can take the team close....at this stage, "close" isn't good enough anymore....they done did that twice already.

They NEED their stars and top line/top pair stars in there and performing!

Hate to say it, but these Habs (whom I didn't believe in before) are starting to look like the real damned thing out of the East.

Out West...look out, but I still like the Predators....

6 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Tampa Bay without Stamkos (again!!), may be just good enough to get there and come close, but not sure about winning it all.

Throw in an injury that has top pair d-man Anton Stralman out indefinitely, and I think there may be a problem with my beloved Bolts winning it all! :mellow:

I do believe in TB's depth, but again, their depth has shown it can take the team close....at this stage, "close" isn't good enough anymore....they done did that twice already.

They NEED their stars and top line/top pair stars in there and performing!

Hate to say it, but these Habs (whom I didn't believe in before) are starting to look like the real damned thing out of the East.

Out West...look out, but I still like the Predators....

I like the Preds as well. Their coaching, top 4 d men, and goaltending are top 5 in the league in my opinion. The only question, and it's a huge one, is do they have anywhere near enough offense to get it done? I say no as it stands right now.

• 6 months later...
On 9/18/2016 at 9:27 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Last year it was easy to pick Pittsburgh: they acquired Kessel. Whatever screws over Leafs fans the most is always what happens. Looking at it this year, the Leafs dealt away Bernier and Reimer. Bernier was a total flop in Toronto, so it only stands to reason that he'll find his game now after being traded and win a Stanley Cup with his new team... the Anaheim Ducks.

So let's examine the contenders shall we?

Anaheim Ducks: