Rookie Training Camp started...

hf101

.... Yesterday.  

They will take to the ice today for the first time. 

We have Ivan Provorov, Travis Konecny, Roman Lyubimov, Reece Wilcox, Travis Sanheim, and Nicolas Aube-Kubel all hoping to transition to the next phase of their careers.  We should all be excited right?  

--for me, I dunno - I'm really less interested this year as there is a lack of hope for adding new talent on the Flyers... maybe it is Hextall's overall plan of making it tougher than ever before to adding any youth to this roster.  While other teams in the NHL look forward to adding talented youth this season the Flyers won't be one of them and frankly I find this disappointing.

The Flyers regular camp starts on Fri. 

-- the lack of projected change in the roster defuses a lot of my excitement for a new season.  It really shouldn't feel this way.

15 minutes ago, hf101 said:

.... Yesterday.  

We have Ivan Provorov, Travis Konecny, Roman Lyubimov, Reece Wilcox, Travis Sanheim, and Nicolas Aube-Kubel all hoping to transition to the next phase of their careers.  We should all be excited right?  

--for me, I dunno - I'm really less interested this year as there is a lack of hope for adding new talent on the Flyers... maybe it is Hextall's overall plan of making it tougher than ever before to adding any youth to this roster.  While other teams in the NHL look forward to adding talented youth this season the Flyers won't be one of them and frankly I find this disappointing.

-- the lack of projected change in the roster defuses a lot of my excitement for a new season.  It really shouldn't feel this way.

Well if Hexy is true to his word Ivan should make the squad.

“We’re gonna put the best team on the ice,” general manager Ron Hextall said last week. “That’s our job. We’re going to put the best team on the ice for Opening Night. Are kids gonna come in? Veterans gonna come in? I don’t know. I don’t know what type of shape guys are in, how they’re going to play, but I know this: we’re going to put the best team on the ice that we can for Opening Night. Whatever that may be, I don’t know.”

I find it hard to believe he won't prove he is better than every Dman on the club not named Ghost or Del Zotto and is ready to help this team.

I could see TK doing it took but they are so stacked at forward he could be sent back to juniors for that reason alone. Sure it isn't right but i could see Hexy wanting only one rookie at a time moving forward.

I'm excited that Gamecenter is suppose to be broadcasting the preseason game this year i can't wait to see some of the young kids playing.

Should be interesting indeed. Hopefully we get a solid look at Provorov and a few others.

I like the patient approach as it shapes this team nicely, but like a typical Flyers fan, I am getting impatient. It's time to see what they got and what direction they're headed in. 

If Provorov is legit, who becomes expendable? They really need that coveted LW to play on the top line. 

What's the intel on Samhein and Morin? 

Inquiring minds want to know. 

I think the only one to make the cut this year is Provorov.   I understand the "patience" part of the equation but I am not sure there is much more the guy could do back in Jrs.

I just don't see any of the forwards making the cut based on the logjam.  I am still hoping Vandey gets put back in the A and Lyubimov makes his case as a bottom 6 player.   

4 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

If Provorov is legit, who becomes expendable?

If he's going to make the team he's going (got) to play - not be a 7th. 

MacDonald to the A? Schultz for a skate sharpener?

This is another place where I don't understand the two year deal for Manning - unless he's dealt for some sort of asset.

I presume Brennan is going to the A.

4 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

They really need that coveted LW to play on the top line. 

I forget who, but someone pointed out to me when I said something similar that Schenn was pretty effective in that role.

maybe something like?

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
??-Couturier-Voracek

Obvs Simmonds/Voracek can be swapped. But maybe they're just looking for a second line LW? Unless Laughton/Cousins/Konecny can go to the L(?) I'm thinking we get Raffl/Read stuck in that position...

48 minutes ago, radoran said:

This is another place where I don't understand the two year deal for Manning - unless he's dealt for some sort of asset.

I forget who, but someone pointed out to me when I said something similar that Schenn was pretty effective in that role.

maybe something like?

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
??-Couturier-Voracek

Obvs Simmonds/Voracek can be swapped. But maybe they're just looking for a second line LW? Unless Laughton/Cousins/Konecny can go to the L(?) I'm thinking we get Raffl/Read stuck in that position...

That is a good point with Provorov, he is going to have to be in the regular line-up. As much as I love his shot blocking ability (insert mild sarcasm), I have to lean towards Schultz getting moved. AMac, could possibly be effective but I wouldn't let him sniff the top pairing. 

I completely forgot about Schenn playing LW on the top line. That is a sign that we've been without NHL hockey for too long:lol:. That does leave a question mark for the second line. I  rather not see Raffl playing in that spot and maybe Cousins can put the pieces together this year. Same with Laughton, it's time to see what he has or send him packing. 

The thing to keep in mind is that defense wasn't our problem last year.  Maybe Provo and Sanheim will make better first passes half the D, but on a team with Ghost, Streit, & MDZ, they have to do far more than that and frankly we need the other half of their pairings doing what they do. 

If Hextall can move Mac or get a deal for Streit now, then all bets are off.  We'll see the kids.

Konex is the guy I'm curious about.  Is he ready.  Frankly they need him far more than Provo or Sanheim right now.  And frankly they don't need him doing time in the 3rd and 4th lines. 

If he's even close to ready, keep him up on line 1 or 2 and push Read and Raffl down a peg each where they belong. 

Giroux needs someninspiraion and and creativity and for god's sake some damn hands to play along side and if nothing else someone else for defenses and big hitters to worry about....for the betterment of Everyone. 

Obviousky if Travis is laughably bad, don't keep him, but I think he'll be worthwhile.  If he's even close, he has to stay.  The offense is SOOOO cold and SOOO uninspired, they need something and he's all they can really get. 

6 hours ago, radoran said:

maybe something like?

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
??-Couturier-Voracek

I don't know if you saw much of last year, especially the end, but Schultz was pretty key on this team.  I don't know how many years he has left, but no one in the system, not Provo, not  Sanheim (maybe Morin someday) can do what Schultz does. Schultz is a valuable member of this team. 

Dish Streit whenever you can for that pick because he's valuable, but we have others like him, but Schultz is key unless you're throwing in the towel at which point I guarantee s playoff team will want him at the deadline.  

Oh oh and Manning is there because he's a known commodity and at some point someone will get hurt and they'll need a known if fairly mediocre asset. 

6 hours ago, radoran said:

maybe something like?

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
??-Couturier-Voracek

It should be Knoecney, but it'll be Raffl. 

16 hours ago, King Knut said:

I don't know if you saw much of last year, especially the end, but Schultz was pretty key on this team.  I don't know how many years he has left, but no one in the system, not Provo, not  Sanheim (maybe Morin someday) can do what Schultz does. Schultz is a valuable member of this team. 

Dish Streit whenever you can for that pick because he's valuable, but we have others like him, but Schultz is key unless you're throwing in the towel at which point I guarantee s playoff team will want him at the deadline.  

Oh oh and Manning is there because he's a known commodity and at some point someone will get hurt and they'll need a known if fairly mediocre asset. 

It's not anything against Schultz specifically, but he's not a key part going forward. And if the question is "make room for Provorov to play every day" he's  a potential answer.

I don't know that Streit is as attractive a target to make room for Provorov as he would be at the deadline.

My only question with Manning is the two year deal.  I don't think a "mediocre asset" is a long term solution for the team stacked with D prospects. 

1 hour ago, radoran said:

It's not anything against Schultz specifically, but he's not a key part going forward. And if the quet

Stion is "make room for Provorov to play every day" he's  a potential answer.

I don't know that Streit is as attractive a target to make room for Provorov as he would be at the deadline.

My only question with Manning is the two year deal.  I don't think a "mediocre asset" is a long term sokution for the team stacked with D prospects. 

I agree with what you're saying on all points.  

With Schultz however, I just think he brings a skill set that none of the youth has yet and that none of the existing Flyers D have at the effectiveness he showed.   And clearly he's not part of the long term plan and luckily he doesn't have a ridiculous contract like Mac so we know we won't be stuck with him long term.  

Theoretically MacDonald can play a similar role and if he's around more than a few months he could be less inclined for screw ups (he was fairly solid on the whole).    Radko... maybe?  I'm not sure what their plan is for him.  It's possible their plan is to eliminate the Schultz type stay at home shot blocking Goalie's best friend defenseman and have everyone be a bit more mobile.

Streit should definitely be more attractive at the deadline, but you can't bring Provo up at the deadline.  Also, there's a decent chance Mark could be injured by the deadline.  If you have a deal now, I say take it.  If someone's offering a decent deal for Schultz now, I'd take it too I guess, I just think it makes more sense to keep him around if you can.  I'd say that they should extend him for another year or so until he retires, but the Sanheim Morin Haag train is coming down the line and something will have to give.  

I think the Manning two year deal is extremely moveable.  They can trade him, they can waive him, they can have him riding the pine in case someone gets hurt.  I don't like manning as a player at all, but they know what they can get from him and if (hopefully) during the course of the year they trade an asset or two (Streit, Schultz) and it looks like Morin is ready to play big league minutes, Manning can be waiting in the wings for an injury.  

There's another reason I feel a little bit of urgency in playing these kids this year and that's MDZ.

Obviously we all like him.  The players seem to love him as a team mate.  He's a character off the ice and a great story.

He's going to want a big fat long term deal at the end of this season and will be making the argument that he is our #1 D man with Streit gone and will expect #1 D man numbers.   With Streit and Schultz both gone, we could afford to give him #1 D man numbers for a little while, say 5-5.5 for 4 or 5?

The problem is while he may be our #1 D man next year, in 2 or 3 years, the idea is that Provo or Sanheim will be our #1 D man with Morin and Ghost being fantastic guys with a specific skill set.  It would be great to have an MDZ around to round things out for what would be a ridiculously potent D corps, if they pay MDZ that now, will the be able to afford to improve the top 6 forwards ever again?   Is an MDZ with a $5 million contract moveable? 

Or... does hexy have to let MDZ walk?   This decisions is easier to make if you have seen Provo, Sanheim and Morin (or at least 2 out of 3 of them) playing NHL minutes leading up to having to pull the trigger one way or the other on MDZ.

21 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I agree with what you're saying on all points.  

With Schultz however, I just think he brings a skill set that none of the youth has yet and that none of the existing Flyers D have at the effectiveness he showed.   And clearly he's not part of the long term plan and luckily he doesn't have a ridiculous contract like Mac so we know we won't be stuck with him long term.  

Theoretically MacDonald can play a similar role and if he's around more than a few months he could be less inclined for screw ups (he was fairly solid on the whole).    Radko... maybe?  I'm not sure what their plan is for him.  It's possible their plan is to eliminate the Schultz type stay at home shot blocking Goalie's best friend defenseman and have everyone be a bit more mobile.

Streit should definitely be more attractive at the deadline, but you can't bring Provo up at the deadline.  Also, there's a decent chance Mark could be injured by the deadline.  If you have a deal now, I say take it.  If someone's offering a decent deal for Schultz now, I'd take it too I guess, I just think it makes more sense to keep him around if you can.  I'd say that they should extend him for another year or so until he retires, but the Sanheim Morin Haag train is coming down the line and something will have to give.  

I think the Manning two year deal is extremely moveable.  They can trade him, they can waive him, they can have him riding the pine in case someone gets hurt.  I don't like manning as a player at all, but they know what they can get from him and if (hopefully) during the course of the year they trade an asset or two (Streit, Schultz) and it looks like Morin is ready to play big league minutes, Manning can be waiting in the wings for an injury.  

My issue is the value returned. That was the genesis of the "skate sharpener" remark (rather than Schultz's play). If Provorov (Sanheim, Morin, whoever) is "playing his way onto the team" it will become obvious to other GMs that the Flyers "need" to make a move and in that scenario the value returned likely goes down.

I would deal Streit in a heartbeat, but I think they could get more for him at the deadline. That said, as you note, he may not make it to the deadline. Yeah, if they can deal him now for a reasonable return (even if it isn't clear a young D is "playing his way on") - do it.

Waiving Manning means risking losing him for essentially nothing. That's a major reason why he was up all last year and MacDonald went to the A. No one was going to pick up MacDonald. Manning's a serviceable 6/7 player and isn't on an anchor contract and would likely be snapped up before arriving in the Lehigh Valley.

Lastly, I wouldn't let MDZ just "walk." He would have significant value as a rental at the deadline. If it's obvious to Hextall that he's not coming back, get something good for the future.

3 hours ago, radoran said:

My issue is the value returned. That was the genesis of the "skate sharpener" remark (rather than Schultz's play). If Provorov (Sanheim, Morin, whoever) is "playing his way onto the team" it will become obvious to other GMs that the Flyers "need" to make a move and in that scenario the value returned likely goes down.

I would deal Streit in a heartbeat, but I think they could get more for him at the deadline. That said, as you note, he may not make it to the deadline. Yeah, if they can deal him now for a reasonable return (even if it isn't clear a young D is "playing his way on") - do it.

Waiving Manning means risking losing him for essentially nothing. That's a major reason why he was up all last year and MacDonald went to the A. No one was going to pick up MacDonald. Manning's a serviceable 6/7 player and isn't on an anchor contract and would likely be snapped up before arriving in the Lehigh Valley.

Lastly, I wouldn't let MDZ just "walk." He would have significant value as a rental at the deadline. If it's obvious to Hextall that he's not coming back, get something good for the future.

Hextall's still in the cat bird seat when it comes to dealing.  With any luck at all, the Flyers will at least be in the playoff hunt come Deadline.  I think we all believe they won't be "contenders" but if they're at least in the hunt, Hexy will always have the "fine, we'll keep 'em and make our own run with 'em" attitude.  He got a first for Coburn and a 2nd for a Timmo who hadn't played yet.  I think he can get quite a haul for Streit, MDZ and Schultz if he wants.    If only any team in the league capable of making the playoffs could afford to be forced into taking Mac along with one of them.  I'd deal Streit for a skate sharpener if it got Mac off the books... and I one of the few who don't think he's that god awful a player.  

And absolutely, if MDZ looks like a massive problem signing, send him packing at the deadline too.  Why not?  You can take your crack at getting him back on 7/1 if you decide in the interim you need him back.  

I see your point about losing Manning.  I guess I just wouldn't be all that broken up about it if it happened.  

It will work itself out during preseason and training camp.

They don't have to trade Schultz if they don't want to, all they have to do is waive McDonald.

MDZ/Gudas

Schultz/Ghost

Streit/Provy

Wait for the right deal to move Schultz and recall Mcdud...I'd prefer them to recall another Dman and let Mcdud rot.

On 21/09/2016 at 8:19 AM, hf101 said:

.... Yesterday.  

I beg to differ. I think having all these young top notch prospects are great to have in training camp. Their energy is going to be infectious and it's either going to force others to bring their best or force Hextall to move bodies to make space for them. The fact that Hextall isn't making any room for them and is basically making it tough for them to make the roster is a great thing. Nothing should ever be handed to anyone. Players need to earn their spots on the club. And like what Hextall has said - if a player comes in and tears it up, he'll make a place for them.

I love what Hextall is building. He watched how Couturier's development was bungled and how it took four seasons for Schenn to become a player that he's not going to repeat the same mistakes. He wants his players ready to come in and perform right from the get go. I'm certain that sending Provorov back to junior last year was a good decision and we're going to be rewarded for it by watching him become a number one defender this year (I really think Provorov is a cross between Drew Doughty and Ryan Suter). He also knows what's expected of him and he's come prepared. 

People need to be patient. Hextall has a plan and we're only in year three of the plan. I expect that when year five rolls around, this club is going to be a well oiled machine and will be a yearly Stanley Cup contender. People just need to have a little faith and not want to rush the process.  

So three of the Flyers youngest stars everyone wants to see aren't playing in the game the Flyers are going to broadcast on their website. GENIUS!

Provy, Konecny and Lyons are playing in the game that will ONLY be on the radio...

....friggin genius...who is the moron who decided that... 

:572958dd97de9_hithead:

13 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

The game in New York will be streamed on the Flyers website.

But apparently not in my area.  "The content you are viewing is blacked out in your region."  WTF

Damn they wonder WHYY it's hard to grow the sport. They make it so hard for the real fans to watch i can't imagine how they plan to lure a new fan. They don't either.

So first game of the preseason and Provy logs 28+ minutes of ice time....Hak getting a good long look at this kid. He will be a Flyer this year i think without doubt.

Didn't see the game but from reports i read Lyons was solid in net stopping 29 of 30 shots.

Flyers lineups were littered with prospects and the Isles and Devils iced some NHLers so the outcome must be kept with that in mind. From the looks of it not many even got a chance to watch it.

I didn't was out with friends.

Anyone who did i would love to hear their thoughts.

Archived