Provorov

King Knut

2 hours ago, icehole said:

I believe it stands for "Queefing Of Couturier". "Because of the queefing of couturier, the flyers are winning".  It make sense in a sentence.

This is, by a fair measure, and without a shadow of a doubt, you're best and funniest post ever. Sadly, it's all down hill from here...

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, AJgoal said:

What @flyercanuck said. 3 regulation losses vs. Pittsburgh, Montreal, and a red-hot Tampa team. Shootout loss vs. Ottawa that's been either 2nd or 3rd in their division all season, and the other vs. Detroit, which was basically an even matchup. The Leafs loss is an outlier, but every team has those once in a while. So the losses are less about MacDonald being out of the lineup, than the Flyers playing some real quality opponents in those games. 

ummmmmyeah, I think it has a lot more to do with the team on the whole just getting it's act together.  

Same thing happened last year just a few weeks later, so they're ahead of schedule this year.

With him back, they've beaten Chicago, Calgary, Ottawa (again), Minnesota, Boston, and now Edmonton... all teams that with records similar to or better than the Flyers.  

Again... they played them and won.  Not played them and lost like while he was out.   I don't think strength of schedule is a factor here.  Unless we're thinking Montreal and the Penguins are just that much better than everyone else?  

Which may be a fair assessment.  

While I'm looking at this crap... can someone please start shutting down the damn Blue Jackets?  And how the hell do they only have 24 games?  WTF schedulers?  How the hell can they be so good all of the sudden? 

24 minutes ago, King Knut said:

ummmmmyeah, I think it has a lot more to do with the team on the whole just getting it's act together.  

Same thing happened last year just a few weeks later, so they're ahead of schedule this year.

With him back, they've beaten Chicago, Calgary, Ottawa (again), Minnesota, Boston, and now Edmonton... all teams that with records similar to or better than the Flyers.  

Again... they played them and won.  Not played them and lost like while he was out.   I don't think strength of schedule is a factor here.  Unless we're thinking Montreal and the Penguins are just that much better than everyone else?  

Which may be a fair assessment.  

While I'm looking at this crap... can someone please start shutting down the damn Blue Jackets?  And how the hell do they only have 24 games?  WTF schedulers?  How the hell can they be so good all of the sudden? 

We completely outplayed Montreal and lost to Price, not the Canadiens.

Both times!

This is a fun team to watch, and of course there are growing pains, but we're trending in the right direction.

We are 16-10-3 for 35 points.

Last year we were 12-11-6 for 30 points.

Incremental gains :)

THe most exciting part lately is seeing Provorov stabilize, and our stars play like real stars. Giroux and Jake are en fuego.

Just now, King Knut said:

again I'll point out that Datsyuk and Pronger aren't actually playing for them. 

Looking at their capfriendly.com numbers, they're actually close to the cap this season at $74M.

To your point, next season they're at $44M - with Duclair and Gaudet as RFAs and five current roster spots being UFA - so it's not outlandish but their previous method was to save money on contracts vs. cap hit not to just "take on bad contracts for the halibut". :)

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

Looking at their capfriendly.com numbers, they're actually close to the cap this season at $74M.

To your point, next season they're at $44M - with Duclair and Gaudet as RFAs and five current roster spots being UFA - so it's not outlandish but their previous method was to save money on contracts vs. cap hit not to just "take on bad contracts for the halibut". :)

I totally get that.  I guess what I'm saying is that MacDonald's contract is bad for a team like the Flyers that neither needs 8 NHL Defensemen and 3 high end prospects right now nor has much cap space... but it might not be such a bad contract for a team that only has 3-4 NHL caliber D men on the roster and could find themselves close to the cap floor again.  

Again, this is all sort of predicated on MacDonald not sucking more than sucking this year.  He's been up and down, but they have been winning significantly more with him lately... which makes it an easier sell for Hextall depending on who his mark is ;)

4 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Actually, Datsyuk is $7.5 million less than his hit because he is retired. I hadn't looked at MacDonald's contract breakdown, but the increasing pay makes him unattractive from that perspective. There are always scenarios where a guy can get moved, though. Look at that Tronno-Columbus trade for the levels of ridiculousness that can be found. It's easier to find a partner by eating half of his contract, though.

We had to eat a portion of VLC (though he at least promised to retire at year's end if the Kings wanted him to).

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Not only that, they actually have a player on LTIR to get under the cap.

Yeah, I'm looking at next year.  if you look, they're in the position they're in because of cap shenanigans like the Pronger situation. 

Just now, King Knut said:

We had to eat a portion of VLC (though he at least promised to retire at year's end if the Kings wanted him to).

Eat a portion of VLC? EW.

• 3 months later...

provy-ashbee.gif

Provorov is the only defenseman to play in all 81 games thus far.

He also leads the team in time on ice (1771.1), average time on ice per game (21:57), and blocked shots (165). 

He has six goals and 22 assists on the season, with all 7 goals and 17 of those assists coming at even strength.

Lead the blueline in takeaways with 23.

Awesome job. I wonder which young guy is next to land a job on the blueline come next season?

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

provy-ashbee.gif

He also leads the team in time on ice (1771.1), average time on ice per game (21:57), and blocked shots (165). 

He has six goals and 22 assists on the season, with all 7 goals and 17 of those assists coming at even strength.

Awesome job. I wonder which young guy is next to land a job on the blueline come next season?

Morin. Probably Sanheim as the season goes on. Maybe Hagg. The floodgates are about to open.

But I see Provy taking that Ashbee award for the next decade +...barring injury.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The floodgates are about to open.

I'm ready. I want to have something to look forward to watching. I hope this is the last time in a long time they miss the playoffs.

Provorov should have won every single team award last night 

PEB having the most heart makes me LOL. I guess having the worst statistical season in NHL history gets you an extension like he got 

9 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

I guess having the worst statistical season in NHL history

"C"s get degrees

and come on, really. 

I know hyperbole is fun... he got an NHL contract, he's not killing the cap, he's not Andrew MacDonald.

That guy (PEB) does all the **** jobs in the NHL, he kills penalties, he skates on the fourth line. yet he never takes a shift off, he never shies from contact, he will throw hands when his team needs it and he's not a fighter, he is reliable,   So yes, RJ he has heart.

On 4/9/2017 at 8:44 PM, mojo1917 said:

"C"s get degrees

and come on, really. 

I know hyperbole is fun... he got an NHL contract, he's not killing the cap, he's not Andrew MacDonald.

That guy (PEB) does all the **** jobs in the NHL, he kills penalties, he skates on the fourth line. yet he never takes a shift off, he never shies from contact, he will throw hands when his team needs it and he's not a fighter, he is reliable,   So yes, RJ he has heart.

When I was 9, all I really understood about how good a hockey player was, were the numbers on the back of his hockey card.

Of course back then half the league scored 100 pts.

On 4/9/2017 at 10:12 AM, OccamsRazor said:

I'm ready. I want to have something to look forward to watching. I hope this is the last time in a long time they miss the playoffs.

I wouldn't be too quick to say that. We still need scorers. :/

On 4/9/2017 at 9:10 AM, flyercanuck said:

Morin. Probably Sanheim as the season goes on. Maybe Hagg. The floodgates are about to open.

But I see Provy taking that Ashbee award for the next decade +...barring injury.

I'm kinda guessing Sanheim makes the team first, but that Morin or Hagg might outplay Manning for the #6, pushing Brandon to the "fill in" role.  

As I see it they'll want Sanheim as the puck moving D man as they will have lost Streit and MDZ by training camp.  Losing Streit was a good thing balance wise as the pairings finally became more balanced out (theoretically) with a puck mover and a responsibility/position guy on each pairing - though this is negotiable on the Provo - Mac pairing.

Not actual pairings but in general next year should look like:

Play Driver / Responsibility guy

Provo / Mac  (I know I know... IN THEORY)

Ghost  / Gudas

Sanheim / Morin/Manning

Hex/Hak could go with a Morin / Manning option on the 3rd pair if they don't think Sanheim is ready (or a Hagg/Manning pair if Hagg outplays Morin) but in theory it makes more sense if Sanheim is close to go with him balance wise.  They could pair him with Gudas to help out on the responsibility side.

The outside possibility (and I have supported this) is trying to sign a UFA Journeyman D man who still has something left in the tank.  The problem is that I really don't know which if any available have much left in the tank:  Wideman (old), Oduya (older), Scuderi (ancient).  If Schultz couldn't keep up at 34, I'm hoping that's just a reflecting on him not playing much the last two years because all of the above mentioned guys are at least as old as that.

As has been discussed elsewhere, I don't think they'll be so bold as to put three rookies on the same roster (unless injuries require it) so I doubt Mac is going anywhere and they'll probably never send Manning to the Minors outright, opting to keep him as the extra man for fill in / injury duty.

But I do believe by the middle of the year they're going to have to find some playing time for all three of those guys.

Hopefully if He stays healthy, Myers will be logging big minutes for the Phantoms and getting himself ready to make things interesting for 2018-'19.    

A strong Philippe Myers AHL season next year and training camp the following year could accelerate the buying out of MacDonald (which I would expect after next season at the earliest).  

The skill set of Provo makes him a sort of ambidextrous partner who could be paired with almost anyone.  Presumably he and Morin are your top pairing in a couple of years, but Provo could also be paired with a puck mover if need be.

If this all works out, in two years time this team could be looking to trade one of these guys for some serious return.  Otherwise Gudas or Hagg might end up stuck in the 7th man role which seems insane to me.  

@King Knut

If everything pans out the way I see it, Provorov and either Myers/Sanheim end up your top pair. Then the other with Morin as your 2nd. I'm hoping Ghost rebounds next year...and becomes every teams nightmare on the 3rd pairing with Gudas, but can play 2nd pair on offensive zone starts.

15 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

@King Knut

If everything pans out the way I see it, Provorov and either Myers/Sanheim end up your top pair. Then the other with Morin as your 2nd. I'm hoping Ghost rebounds next year...and becomes every teams nightmare on the 3rd pairing with Gudas, but can play 2nd pair on offensive zone starts.

I think we saw Ghost rebound toward the end of this season.  He was really using his speed and skating ability and hand eye coordination in his own end a lot more and was making some huge plays.  This is really his best chance at being responsible defensively.  I don't want him throwing his body around trying to make hits or out muscle guys.  But he can play position based defense and make some surprise skill moves in his own end and quickly outlet.  This could make him an unbelievably valuable asset.  Hopefully Mullen's replacement helps the team make some room so Ghost and Provo's PP point shots aren't consistently blocked or forced wide.

In fact, hopefully Mullen's replacement helps make it so they're not dependent on point shots on the PP.  

I think you're right in that the Platonic ideal would be to have Provo be with more of a puck mover like Myers or Sanheim. 

Even in that event, you've still got a Hagg in the #7 role and the chances are, he's more valuable than that... i.e. he (or Gudas) becomes a moveable option.

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I think we saw Ghost rebound toward the end of this season.  He was really using his speed and skating ability and hand eye coordination in his own end a lot more and was making some huge plays.  This is really his best chance at being responsible defensively.  I don't want him throwing his body around trying to make hits or out muscle guys.  But he can play position based defense and make some surprise skill moves in his own end and quickly outlet.  This could make him an unbelievably valuable asset.  Hopefully Mullen's replacement helps the team make some room so Ghost and Provo's PP point shots aren't consistently blocked or forced wide.

In fact, hopefully Mullen's replacement helps make it so they're not dependent on point shots on the PP.  

I think you're right in that the Platonic ideal would be to have Provo be with more of a puck mover like Myers or Sanheim. 

Even in that event, you've still got a Hagg in the #7 role and the chances are, he's more valuable than that... i.e. he (or Gudas) becomes a moveable option.

I'd move any ONE of them (other than Provorov) for the right price(an elite young forward). Well, I'd move Provy for the right price, but Edmonton isn't trading Mcdavid.

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd move any ONE of them (other than Provorov) for the right price(an elite young forward). Well, I'd move Provy for the right price, but Edmonton isn't trading Mcdavid.

I wouldn't. McDavid has one more good year in him.

16 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd take Matthews from Toronto in a pinch.

On 4/9/2017 at 8:57 AM, OccamsRazor said:

provy-ashbee.gif

My guess is Provorov, Gudas, Gostisbehere, MacDud, Hagg, Morin and Manning as the 7th 

56 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'd take Matthews from Toronto in a pinch.

I wouldnt. Don't get me wrong, Matthews is great, but a franchise defenseman is more important to a team 

Archived