Today, Montreal GM Marc Bergevin announced that Scott Gomez had played his last game for the Habs.
The newly appointed General Manager say he spoke to Gomez around 7:30 this morning and told him to sit this one out. The remainder of his contract will be bought out this summer, when the Amnesty Buy out clause comes into affect.
Where he will not be missed on the ice, he will however be missed in the locker room, where Gomez was a team leader.
"Unfortunately, the personal side of the game is really hard when the business side takes over," said captain Brian Gionta of his linemate in both New Jersey and later in Montreal. "We'll do whatever we can to support him.
Under the new rules, the Canadiens will still have to pay Gomez his $10 million total salary for the next two seasons, but will save $900,000 in cap space this season (down to $6.457 million) and remove the cap hit entirely in 2013-14.
What do I think about it? I think "Hey, we have 900,000 more to offer P.K. But what's the point?" I understand that he needs to be 100% healthy in order to qualify for buyout, but wasn't it just last week that the league AND the players were whining about being broke?! Scott Gomez is going to be paid 10 million bucks to sit at home and do nothing. He is, essentially and hypothetically of course, the next Paris Hilton.
Other news from Habs training camp is that Alex Galchenyuk looked great skating with Lars Eller and Brian Gionta.
- P.K Subban, who remains a restricted free agent, did not report to training camp today. Bergevin was in Toronto on Saturday to meet with Subban and agent Don Meehan. He hopes to have a contract done soon.
- Tomas Plekanec (day to day with a rib injury) and Petteri Nokelainen (back) both sat out today. Mike Commodore (who is signed to a tryout contract) also didn't skate today, as he was undergoing his medical.
- Newcomer Brandon Prust was at centre with Travis Moen and Rene Bourque, while Ryan White centred Colby Armstrong and prospect Brendan Gallagher, with Gabriel Dumont slotting in.
- Russian defencemen Andrei Markov and Alexei Emelin played together, while Tomas Kaberle was in Subban's place with Josh Gorges. Francis Bouillon was paired with Rafael Diaz and Jarred Tinordi with Yannick Weber.
- Carey Price and Peter Budaj are the only goalies in camp.
- The team announced it has invited fans to an intrasquad game for free on Thursday night at the Bell Centre.
There are no comments to display.