NHL Trade Talk: January 5, 2014
- Goalie trade talk is everywhere. Where do we start. Here is a short breakdown of who needs a goalie and who would fill their void.
- New Jersey- There is talk that Martin Brodeur will be on the move this year. Talk that Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Washington all have interest. I call this crazy. I don’t see him going anywhere, and I have no idea why Chicago or Washington would have any interest.
- Washington- Now as for Washington, talk is that Michal Neuvirth is on his way out, and he wants out. The Capitals are happy with Phillipp Grubauer as the starter and Braden Holtby backing him up.
- Nashville- Another team that may need goalie help is Nashville. Pekka Rinne still is not back from injury, and I am a little worried about the time frame of his return. This is a scary infection that he is dealing with, and I have heard that it his not going all that well. Maybe Nashville would be interested in Martin Broduer as a loaner, but it looks like Nashville has all but played them out of a playoff spot. So they will just probably ride it out.
- Philadelphia- Talk out of Philadelphia is that negotiations with Steve Mason on a contract have not really started at all. Both sides seem pretty laid back about the topic, and I don’t know if this means they are going their separate ways or that a deal will be done. I just do not feel that Philadelphia is comfortable with Mason, and now the Flyers have found themselves back in the playoff hunt. Maybe Brayden Schenn going to Buffalo for Ryan Miller would solve all of Philadelphia’s goalie problem. It totally makes sense, but time will tell if it falls into place. I would not be surprised at all if Philadelphia makes a strong push for him.
- Calgary- Everybody keeps talking that Calgary is in the market for a goalie. I actually think that Calgary is in the market for about everything but a goalie. I think the Flames will continue to run with Reto Berra and Karri Ramo for at least another year. It is not the fault of their play that times are tough in Calgary. The Flames will probably resign Berra and give it some time to sort out.
- Edmonton- The fact is, Edmonton has given up on Devan Dubnyk just like the Edmonton fan who threw his jersey on the ice has given up on the Oilers team. Well who would solve the problem in net for Edmonton? I think Ryan Miller would be their first choice, but there is no way in the world that Miller will go to Edmonton. Talk is that Edmonton has interest in Steve Mason in Philadelphia, but another option may be James Reimer in Toronto. Honestly have not heard any talk of this, but a deal sending Nail Yakupov or Sam Gagner and others to Toronto for Reimer and defenseman Mark Fraser. I am not sure where Edmonton will turn, but I do believe solidifying the defense and goaltending position is high on their rebuild priority list.
Briere Unhappy in Montreal
- Talk out of Montreal is that Danny Briere is not happy with how things are playing out for him in Montreal. He has been a healthy scratch twice lately and is not happy. It just seems like he has not been a good fit from the get go. I look for him to be dealt at the deadline. A good home for him may be Pittsburgh. Rumors are flying that he may be part of a deal that would send him to Winnipeg in a deal that would sent Evander Kane to Montreal. I think Winnipeg wants to move Kane but would sure need more than Briere.
Ott on the move, and no Heatley talk
- I look for Steve Ott to be a deadline guy that will be moved. Talk is that Pittsburgh and Montreal are interested. No one has been talking about the fate of pending UFA Dany Heatley of Minnesota. What are the Wild going to do.? Resign him, doubt it! I look for Minnesota to start shopping him as their playoff hopes start to slide. He may be a big fish come deadline day, but I don’t look for Minnesota to get a big return on him.
Trade Talk is heating up as we move into the New Year. It is lots of fun to talk about player moves and to speculate.
PLEASE CHECK OUT - INSIDE EDGE HOCKEY NEWS
There are no comments to display.