Holmgren please acquire Justin Schlutz

Guest hf101

Justin Schultz is a six-foot-two,185-pound, 21 yr old Wisconsin Badgers right-handed  defenseman.  He has been the highest scoring d-man in the NCAA in the past two consecutive seasons, a two-time WCHA Defensive Player of the Year, and a two-time Hobey Baker Award finalist.  He is also considered one of the best – if not the best – defensive prospect in all of hockey.

However he is still the property of the Anaheim Ducks.  Schultz was the 43rd pick of the 2008 draft.  If the Ducks are unable to come to terms on a contract with Schultz by June 1, he will become an unrestricted free agent this summer. Schultz also could decide to play one more year with Wisconsin.

Holmgren like every other GM in the league is probably awaiting to see what Schultz and the Ducks decides to do.  If Anaheim anticipates Schultz may walk, they might also entertain a trade.

More and more quality players are coming out of the NCAA, Schultz would be an excellent acquisition to help build up our defensive core.

More and more quality players are coming out of the NCAA, Schultz would be an excellent acquisition to help build up our defensive core.

mc dongah from the rangers is a former badger, maybe they're the "defenseman" school the way boston college is the smallish energy guy school.

@mojo1917

It's hard to believe the Habs traded McDonough for Gomez. No wonder their gm was fired...whatshisname?

If Schultz was going to sign with Anaheim, you'd think he already would have. I'd hope Philly has a shot at this kid...it'd be like a free first round pick. But he may pick a team he could play for right away (Edmonton?) His weight tells me he may need some AHL time to bulk up.

@Podein25

Yeah, I like Palmieri also. One would think if Schlutz wanted to sign with the Ducks he would have done so by now. Teams probably can't really talk to him since he is still property of the Ducks. Curious to see what he does.

My trade proposal....

JVR rights to Carle for RW Charlie Coyle and Jonas Brodin and a 2nd....too young prospects (winger and defensive help) for i believe a decent return.

Grandlund may be available but they(Flyers) already have a log jam at center.

I'm pretty sure it came out a couple of weeks ago that Schultz will not be signing with the Ducks and will become a free agent. There's 29 other teams just waiting to sign this kid.

Good however the Flyers need him MOST!!!!

Needed size on the blueline is always A PLUS!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My trade proposal....

JVR rights to Carle for RW Charlie Coyle and Jonas Brodin and a 2nd....too young prospects (winger and defensive help) for i believe a decent return.

when ever i read things like this i'm so glad we're just talking hockey moves and not making them.

trade two established NHL players with admittedly room to improve for two "prospects" and a roll of the dice draft pick ?

it pushes the window for winning back futher, will hurt the chemistry in the room, i don't think this is a good idea, especially when the team can be improved by using money only and some creative accounting... too bad we can't get some enron accountants to help homer with the cap, or better yet some jp morgan chase guys.

I'm pretty sure it came out a couple of weeks ago that Schultz will not be signing with the Ducks and will become a free agent. There's 29 other teams just waiting to sign this kid.

the first post on tsn after the article has fan from vancouver wiping his mouth on the kid saying he's going to sign with the canucks and so is weber. pretty funny.

My trade proposal....

lol, um no. Granlund just signed with the Wild, he will likely be their #2 center. Granlund and Coyle are their top prospects. If anything the Wild will be bidding for Parise, a much better acquisition than JVR. And If they are really after Carle they have the money to bid for him too come FA.

Most probably haven't seen this goal by Granlund.

when ever i read things like this i'm so glad we're just talking hockey moves and not making them.

trade two established NHL players with admittedly room to improve for two "prospects" and a roll of the dice draft pick ?

it pushes the window for winning back futher, will hurt the chemistry in the room, i don't think this is a good idea, especially when the team can be improved by using money only and some creative accounting... too bad we can't get some enron accountants to help homer with the cap, or better yet some jp morgan chase guys.

Really isn't JVR a prospect too? I mean is he that established? If this is as established as he is going to get he is pretty expendable. Carle is a FA. This proposed trade would be fine with me.

Really isn't JVR a prospect too? I mean is he that established? If this is as established as he is going to get he is pretty expendable. Carle is a FA. This proposed trade would be fine with me.

Exactly Grump it's making up for not building through the draft like they should have....

...accuiring 2 solid AFFORDABLE prospects for 1 about to be OVERPAID one and a guy if i'm GM i don't want to really resign.

Rather go in another direction sorry without Pronger i just don't like Carle, quote all the stats you like.

I just don't know if JVR can play like he has to....it's like he lacks the to WANT TO and just may never get it...i don't like the contract either i admit.

Edit: Coyle is only 20 and Brodin is 18 (young and still needs to put on some weight but no rush).

Edited by OccamsRazor

@Phillygrump

@occasrazor

I am Not ready to give up on JvR yet, let him be healthy, and see what happens, I really liked him and Schenn and Simmons before he broke his foot... if he plays poorly, I don't think he will,... his deal isn't an anchor, he can be moved.

It's also fine that you're not Carle fans, if he walks the team will miss him and will NOT be as good on the break out. Unless we sign weber you're not gonna like whomever takes his minutes.