If you haven't seen -- Bryz's new tiger mask

Guest Irishjim

A sign of things to come? Bryzgalov’s 2012-2013 Flyers Mask

Flyers goaltender to sport evolved design rife with symbolism for his native Russia – and a desire for a bounce back season.

Bryzgalov-2012-2013-goalie-mask.jpg

Ilya Bryzgalov’s game may not have been as sharp as Flyers’ fans expected last year, but his main helmet, designed by Stephane Bergeron of La Griffe Originale was one of the sharpest in the league with its striking design and detail.

The new design for 2012-2013 is evolutionary, building on last year’s theme while adding a layer of symbolism that shows a love for country, and may also signal a desire to fight to find the game he lost.

BRYZ-3-225x300.jpg Last year fans were curious as to why, aside from the obvious colour tie in, “Bryz” would have a tiger on his helmet. Bergeron told InGoal then it was Bryzgalov’s request as a national symbol of his native Russia, where it is known as the Amur.

The rest of the world soon found out how much the Flyers’ new No.1 really knew about the animal during his now-famous discourse with the team trainer during a segment on HBO’s 24/7 Flyers/Rangers: Road to the Winter Classic about an unknown Russian liquor that somehow turned into talk about receiving the death penalty in China for killing a tiger (video below).

The tiger is back on Bryzgalov’s new mask for the upcoming season, but it’s more ferocious this time and, with a striking set of claws, appears to be looking for a fight. The Flyers logo has also been relocated this year, while the proud Russian goaltender bears the Kremlin on his forehead and the Russian Firebird, or Phoenix, rising on his chin.

Flyers fans can only hope Bryzgalov, who was criticized for being too passive in his play at times last season, will also return ready to fight and like the Phoenix his game will be renewed as it rises from the flames of his first year in Philadelphia.

First a look back at last year’s mask:

Bryzgalov-Goal-MAsk.jpg

… and now some close ups of the new lid:

BRYZ-2.jpg

BRYZ-1.jpg

BRYZ-3.jpg

… and last, but certainly not least, the video highlighting Bryzgalov’s knowledge of tigers and Chinese law:

the "flying" part of the logo appears as the tiger's claw slices "through" the helmet - it's actually a pretty cool effect (if not immediately obvious)

I, personally, would have the Firebird/Phoenix with a full crest on its chest.

• Like 1

the negative space utilization on this is first rate... haters please look again at the logo & it's postion, you'll see what @radoran is talking about.

I don't hate the mask...I don't give a crap about it. He's got one of the fiercest beasts on the planet on there and he plays like a groundhog. No, a lemming. Gerbil? Play goal like you're paid to and then you can put whatever the firetruck you want on it and i'll love it. Until then, I could care a less about his mask.

• Like 1

I don't hate the mask...I don't give a crap about it. He's got one of the fiercest beasts on the planet on there and he plays like a groundhog. No, a lemming. Gerbil? Play goal like you're paid to and then you can put whatever the firetruck you want on it and i'll love it. Until then, I could care a less about his mask.

don't kill the tiger

breath my friend breath. ...... feel better now

@mojo1917

Ya, I'm glad Bryz loves Russia. If he plays like last year he can move back there. Wear a plain white mask with a Flyer logo and play goal like you're paid to. Then he can come out with Christmas lights wrapped around him dressed like Mother Russia for all I care.

Mask , though well executed is very busy, and really tough to determine what is actually going on. Much prefer the simpler mask of days gone by.

Oh yeah, cool masks don't stop pucks ;)

agreed on all points. one of my favorites among many (love goalie mask paint schemes) is this one:

1349d1283114509-antero-niittymakis-new-sharks-mask-maskhayward01.jpg

says everything you need. the guy plays for the Sharks and is cooler than cool.

I do like the new Bryz tiger mask better than the last one though simply because the artwork is better.

Like a Gerbilcorn?

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIp18eKdaVs

Sorry couldn't resist my little girls favorite show on Sesame St, just popped in my head....

Edited by OccamsRazor