Simmonds Out Indefinitly with Concussion

Guest hf101

Simmonds got a double dose of punishment on an unsuspecting dirty elbow to the nose by Erskine. The worst seems to be when he hit his head on the ice. According to Holmgren he will not return to tonight's game.

Interesting to see how Shanny calls this one....if that is not intent to injure, I don't know what is....gotta be 5+ games there, or the NHL is very hyprcritical about wanting to get this stuff out of the game.

What a chump play- instead of manning up and taking the shoulder to shoulder hit- he throws the elbow going full speed. That is similar to the elbow that Preems took against montreal that ended his career. Knowing shanny- it might get a game. Since simmonds was injured, perhaps more.

• Like 1

This is exactly the kind of hit that should get a lengthy suspension because that's what the NHL always 'claims' it wants to take out of the game.

Unless players get 10-15-20 game suspensions for deliberate hits to the head - like a flying elbow!!! - they will never go away.

• Like 1

Wait for it...................the inequitable amount of punishment, and contradictory justification.

I just hate the result is what determines the suspension. If simmonds gets up and plays the rest of the game, there would be little said (even though the intent was clear to injure) outside of the flyer world. That said, the rinaldo fight was just plane stupid. You go after the player that caused the infraction later in the game. Not someone that had nothing to do with it- of off a face-off no less!

Rene Bourque received a 5 game suspension last year for his elbow on Backstrom. However, Bourque had another recent offense.

I expect Erksine to get 3 games.

the following link has Shanny's expanation of the Boruque suspension.

I agree with hf101 on this one... I'd say 2 or 3 games would be reasonable. The only aggravating circumstance is if he DOES have a concussion, then Erskine might get more. I dunno though Steckel put Crosby out for how long with a cheap shot and got nothing for it... damn refs always favoring the Caps!! :ph34r: LOL

that was a nasty elbow and deserves to be punished as reckless disregard for another player.

Exactly- players need to be punished based on intent. This was an obvious intent to inure and avoid an honest hockey play by simmonds. If he did not want to take the hit, he should have just wimped out and pulled up. Instead he decides a flying elbow to the nose is a more appropriate play.

• Like 3

All they need to look at is the action itself. There's no reason to start speculating about what the guy's intention was. He sure looks like he meant to hurt Simmonds but you can say the same about every hockey hit to some degree. Erskine threw his elbow right into Simmonds' face. Elbowing is illegal contact. Because he hit him in the head it's a suspendable offense. How many games?

The answer depends on Shanahan's mood that day I guess, whether he knows Simmonds, if likes Erskine more, how he feels about the Flyers and the Caps in general....all that stuff will play a part. That's why I thought the new CBA created a new way of handing out "supplemental discipline," a committee or something wasn't it? Does anyone know whether that made it into the contract?

When you are at full speed and you LEAD against a defenseless player's head with your elbow, there is NO WAY to defend it. Erskine should get at least 4 games for a dirty hit. If he doesn't, there is total anti-Flyer bias in the league offices, and the league, including Shanahan will look like a joke.

.all that stuff will play a part. That's why I thought the new CBA created a new way of handing out "supplemental discipline," a committee or something wasn't it?

This is from Puck Daddy:

• Supplementary discipline that results in fines can go up to $10,000 for the first offense and up to $15,000 for each and every one after that. Still not even a slap on the wrist for offenses that don't warrant suspension. There will also be a neutral third party if a player chooses to appeal a suspension of 6 games or more.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I thought there was something else with a neutral party and also a player rep (ie. a governing board made up of NHL, neutal and NHLPA, but I could not find on a cursory look-see.

If he doesn't, there is total anti-Flyer bias in the league offices, and the league, including Shanahan will look like a joke.

I would go that far. Inconsistency, definitely but I would find it hard to say anti-flyer bias. Especially where Ed Snider sits in the pecking order of the board of governors (the ones that give guys like Shanny their jobs).

yeah, exactly, what you wrote at the end there about the board made up of 2 or 3 different parties - I know I read something along those lines and I didn't think it depended on a player requesting anything - I thought they'd really transformed Shanahan's office but I guess not.

I agree with hf101 on this one... I'd say 2 or 3 games would be reasonable. The only aggravating circumstance is if he DOES have a concussion, then Erskine might get more. I dunno though Steckel put Crosby out for how long with a cheap shot and got nothing for it... damn refs always favoring the Caps!! :ph34r: LOL

Careful, the Flyer Bias might be rubbing off on you if you start agreeing with us..... ;)

Especially where Ed Snider sits in the pecking order of the board of governors (the ones that give guys like Shanny their jobs).

I just wish he'd use that position more, or better, to rail against or do something about the "inconsistencies". He should be demanding a better product when it comes to NHL officiating, including but not limited to, terminating any official that demonstrates such sheer incompetency. The problem is, aren't the officials unionized? Their gd collective bargaining agreement probably protects them - that's why the can "consistently" get away with behavior that would result in any one else in any other occupation being tossed out on their butt and right into the bread line.