Michael Del Zotto

Yes a thousand times yes. Cost? Minimal. Low risk, high reward. He has problems, who doesn't, but we cannot keep throwing Lashoff and Kindl out there and expect them to turn into hockey players.

In your opinion what the problem/issue?

His shot is bad. Like Scott Hannan bad. He is prone to defensive dum dum moves in his own zone and loses battles for the puck a lot. And he tries jumping into the play at the wrong times. And he wants like 2.5 million I hear? When nobody wanted his qualifying offer contract in trade.

On the other hand, he is young, skates well and passes well when he is passing to the right person. MAYBE detroit coaching staff could turn him around. But if he wants more than a million, I'd say no. Defensively, he is just too bad to take a risk on

In your opinion what the problem/issue?

He is a fast skater with a flair for the offensive end, but his defense is not his strong suit. He could run our power play and work on a third pair and bury his weaknesses as best we could. Like I said, warts and all, he is miles above Kindl and Lashoff and don't even freaking get me started about Quincey.....

Re: Del Zotto....the word on him is he is not coachable....he will make a huge defensive gaffe, the coach will show him how to play it right in practice, and he refuses to listen and goes right back out and pulls the same kinda play again. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

@Podein25

Kindl is vanilla in most areas, he is a big guy but does not use his size, in most areas he is average, doesn't help you or hurt you With one Glaring exception, the forecheck.

Kindl simply does not get the forecheck on either end of the ice. He had taken decent steps foreward during the strike year in regards to the puck but last year teams exploited his weakness.

A couple of times early last year he got burned on the forecheck, teams got a breakaway and scored He then became tentative forechecking in his own zone and became a huge liability, we had to adjust our entire defensive scheme to fit him. He plays best three or four feet off the puck and either consciously or subconsciously the entire defense has begun to do the same thing.

Offense is worse. Much, much worse. Teams have caught on to the fact that Kindl will cough the puck up at an alarming rate when the puck is on his stick if pressured. I watched teams laying back when Kronwall or Dekeyser were carrying it up ice lick their chops when Kindl gets the puck. Put pressure on him, he doesn't pass it, he doesn't try to move past you, he just starts this flailing of his stick back and forth across the ice until the puck bounces away from him.

So in short, he cannot forecheck on defense and he is the worst I have ever seen when pressured with the puck. In short, he is good as long as long as he is not playing the puck. Two years ago he finally seemed to find another gear but a slow start last season ruined his confidence. I think it is 50/50 if he is ever going to be more than a number 6/7 d-man, the Wings have some decent kids ready to break thru on the blue line, maybe not as good as our young forwards but decent prospects. I seriously doubt that unless a huge turnaround occurs that Kindl finishes the season with the Wings.

Re: Del Zotto....the word on him is he is not coachable....he will make a huge defensive gaffe, the coach will show him how to play it right in practice, and he refuses to listen and goes right back out and pulls the same kinda play again. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

From what I get with Del Zotto, Fonzy let him do his own thing, run wild, paired him with a defensive d-man and let Del Zotto act as a poor mans Mike Green. He had good success at a young age, when he tried to reign him in it got him off his game.

Last year Vigneault, who is much more of a demanding coach tried to get Del Zotto to play within a system and he was unable to get him to buy in. Frustrated, the Rags dealt him to the ultimate system coach in Barry Trotz and it became worse, much, much worse. I watched a Predators game late in the year and Del Zotto was the worst player on the ice by far. I think he was -4 and could have been worse.

I think a coach who pairs him with a defensive d-man and sits him down and tells him, "look, carry the puck, set up the offense but don't entirely forget about your buddy back there on the other end" might be able to find a diamond in the rough. Someone who expects him to play out of his comfort zone will end up on a treadmill of failure, he has offensive skill, let him run the point on the power play and hide him on the third pair when 5 on 5 unless behind late in a game, pair him with someone like Kindl who is kind of allergic to touching the puck anyway and you might have something. He has shown offensive success that most d-men can nly dream of, there has to be a coach able to adjust their system enough to make it work. Personally, I think Babs could do very well with him. He got a good year out of Ian White, Rafalski had his best years with him, Salei in Anaheim, he squeezes the most out of this kind of guy. I say sign him and make him Babs personal project.

@yave1964  Agreed, having Babcock pay special attention to him would be the very best thing to happen to Del Zotto's career. Maybe Babs brings him with him when he signs on with the Leafs next year?

Ow. Well that one really hurts, lol.

One thing that I will give credit to Holland with, the Wings AHL coach Jeff Blashill is considered a comer and rather than risking the chance of losing him in the latest round of coaches carrousel he was signed early to a three year extension at near NHL level money. The eventuality of the departure of Babs is well prepared for internally. Just as they groom their players slowly at the AHL level, they have done the same with the next coach.

You have inspired me to write one up in here about Babs. I will get to that this morning.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived